Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Ummmm ... it's the coastal regions of California, AND there's been global warming, among other ecological, biological, and man-made disasters. You're not gonna see snow except maybe once decade, except in the mountains.
Well what I've noticed is that climate change causes a lot of unusual weather to happen. Not just heat. So maybe snow could still happen? But hey, If Mike Pondsmith says no snow, (if that's his real statement?) then Okay. Maybe he would consider some machine produced cyber-snow later, like some kind of unusual festival that's held and they make snow bubbles go floating all over the whole city for the people who never got to see snow before? :D

I really like all the neon lights at night. Makes a great mood.
Yes. I just hope it's not over-done with too much lights. I worry about headaches. I like the lights though, and I hope there's a lot, but my eyes also need space to breath you know? (y)

This topic is kinda uninformed. Cyberpunk 2020 Night City sourcebook described climate of Night City as one of the most pleasant in the western United States with rainfall usually about 21 inches per year. So most of the time weather is sunny or at least not rainy. Misty white fog is blanketing the city in the early mornings and evenings. Inversion smogs and acid rain fog episodes are thing in Night City.

I don't see any problem with Night City as it's being shown to us in trailers. It's very accurate.

When the inevitable mod happens that will allow the weather and time of day to always be the above, I will be downloading and installing it ASAP. You can miss me with the bright sunny days mess...this is the kind of weather I want my Cyberpunk game to be like 24/7, and I know a number of modders who agree, so it's a great thing CDPR has said modder support is a go.

Last edited:
It's not a mess, it's called accuracy. Cyberpunk 2020 Night City sourcebook described climate of Night City and CDPR followed it accurately. Cyberpunk aesthetics isn't about night and rain. When you read Sprawl Trilogy for example you can see that world is shown to us in different ways, you can even read about deserts with very hot and sunny weather. Night City is of course based on Cyberpunk 2020 not Sprawl Trilogy, but even in Cyberpunk 2020 it's placed basically in California desert climate. I'm very glad this game is accurate, non stop rain indeed would be kinda mess because it's very bland concept on itself.

It's not a mess, it's called accuracy. Cyberpunk 2020 Night City sourcebook described climate of Night City and CDPR followed it accurately. Cyberpunk aesthetics isn't about night and rain. When you read Sprawl Trilogy for example you can see that world is shown to us in different ways, you can even read about deserts with very hot and sunny weather. Night City is of course based on Cyberpunk 2020 not Sprawl Trilogy, but even in Cyberpunk 2020 it's placed basically in California desert climate. I'm very glad this game is accurate, non stop rain indeed would be kinda mess because it's very bland concept on itself.
We'll have to agree to disagree. You can play the stock vanilla way that doesn't appeal to me very much and thanks to modding, I'll be able to play in the dark, rainy, gloomy atmosphere I like and says true cyberpunk to me. :cool:

We'll have to agree to disagree. You can play the stock vanilla way that doesn't appeal to me very much and thanks to modding, I'll be able to play in the dark, rainy, gloomy atmosphere I like and says true cyberpunk to me. :cool:
CDPR hasn't said mod support is a go. In fact, they've refused to confirm or deny it at all.

So... yes...? :shrug:
No. They've repeatedly said it's "not a priority" and that "they're focusing on making the game."

You can interpret that as you will, of course, but it's certainly not confirmation. And I'm someone who really wants mod support. But after the TW3's support and the negative reception they got for it, I'm not getting my hopes up. For whatever reason, they seemed to decide releasing TW2-quality tools for TW3 was not worth their time or resources.

This does not mean mods won't release, you don't need official support for that, but they will probably be much more limited until a kind modder spends hundreds of hours making CDPR's tools for them.

The way things were put comes across to me as while not at launch, it's something that probably will be happening, which makes sense as CDPR knows it's something a lot of people want. But, as long as CDPR doesn't go out of their way to lock out modding like Ubisoft or Activision, there will be modding, no doubt. As for my issue with "It's Always Sunny In Night City" (yes, that's exaggeration), at the very least I'll be making use of SweetFX to get the atmosphere as close as to what I want. :ok:

No. They've repeatedly said it's "not a priority" and that "they're focusing on making the game."

You can interpret that as you will, of course, but it's certainly not confirmation. And I'm someone who really wants mod support. But after the TW3's support and the negative reception they got for it, I'm not getting my hopes up. For whatever reason, they seemed to decide releasing TW2-quality tools for TW3 was not worth their time or resources.

This does not mean mods won't release, you don't need official support for that, but they will probably be much more limited until a kind modder spends hundreds of hours making CDPR's tools for them.
So you're saying there's hope!? :eek: and maybe they learned about what people were hoping for and have a better feeling of what to do this time? Everybody is hoping for mod tools Skyrim or better essentially. I have severe anxiety about this, and I really hope we get Skyrim-tier modding tools. :D
Post automatically merged:

The way things were put comes across to me as while not at launch, it's something that probably will be happening, which makes sense as CDPR knows it's something a lot of people want. But, as long as CDPR doesn't go out of their way to lock out modding like Ubisoft or Activision, there will be modding, no doubt. As for my issue with "It's Always Sunny In Night City" (yes, that's exaggeration), at the very least I'll be making use of SweetFX to get the atmosphere as close as to what I want. :ok:
Yea like, I totally understand you know? I want the game to be awesome first, and I will gladly wait for modding tools later on when they have the ability and peace of mind to focus on making that, hopefully skyrim modding or better. Very very excited :D I love CDPR.

Getting back on the topic, to summarize, I think the day/night stuff is a non-issue.

There are people who want 2077 to be perpetually dark and rainy which is... an odd desire, if you care at all about believability. But regardless, those vibes and environments will be in the game. There may or may not be official mod support, but even without it, setting the game to be rainy/dark 24/7 probably won't be too hard (I wouldn't know). Of course, this may break quests or make things feel weird at some points where you need to wait for certain times/environmental conditions for story purposes.

Top Bottom