Cyberpunk 2077 Devs Reportedly Working 6-Day Weeks To Finish The Game

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disgusted. Ethical players will gladly accept to wait longer to get the game, to avoid bad working conditions.

I beg you CD Projekt Red, don't fall for the dark side of the force.
Tell ya what. Vote with your wallet, and stop buying video games. :shrug:

So they have to work seven extra days till release? This is an outrage! Someone call Twitter.
Yeah.... I don't get it either. I guess CDPR has been enjoying too much good press, so the moment something not so good happens, someone has to create a click bait outrage.

I work in construction and overtime can be common. People get paid a premium and although they wouldn't mind a lazy Saturday the extra money is a nice incentive. When the schedule has to be met you do what has to be done. Forgive me but CDPR are not digging trenches or hauling bags of cement: its a video game and I'm sure a few more work days a month won't kill them.
I don't want to sound callous, I know they have been working hard for a long time, but they are getting paid for it. That's business. A delay at this point doesn't seem feasible so this is what they are left with. C'est La Vie. All in all though I hope they are hanging in there.

I am disgusted. Ethical players will gladly accept to wait longer to get the game, to avoid bad working conditions.

I can't tell if you're being serious. I assume you're joking.

It's about an extra 6-7 working days between now and release date.

So if they delayed the game by just over one working week, they'd get the same extra time and you'd no longer be disgusted? That'd fulfill your ethics? A 9-10 day delay?

When did any kind of mandatory overtime whatsoever become 'omg, evil corporation enslaves its workers!'.

Crunch originally became infamous because of months, sometimes year+, of 80-100 hour weeks under the implied threat of losing your job. Sometimes it wasn't even paid overtime. That kind of thing.

Schrier has good connections and is more reliable than most but I feel 'crunch' is his baby - it's his goto 'I'm a serious journalist reporting on the big issues' drum and he beats it at the drop of a hat to be relevant.

There has to be some kind of mandatory overtime that doesn't automatically fall into tyrannical crunch. It's not all equal, imho.

Pretty much all jobs have that crunch time. We had that way back with vacumecleaner assembly. This is ok as long as overtime is payed properly!

This just isnt a big deal. There is nothing else to say. Its not even "news" worthy.

Id consider it on the same level as if someone broke a story on how the lunch room no longer serves pizza, and would be equally confused and annoyed at how people would be calling that abuse.

Tell ya what. Vote with your wallet, and stop buying video games. :shrug:

Already tried the "vote with you wallet" approach: It doesn't work unless paired with a social movement.
Post automatically merged:

"We don't want devs to be forced to work extra hours!"
"Oh my god, another delay? You piece of sh*t, I'm cancelling my pre-order!"
Enough said

That would be only a week of delay actually.

Already tried the "vote with you wallet" approach: It doesn't work unless paired with a social movement.
Post automatically merged:

That would be only a week of delay actually.
Good. They should do it and see what happens on the internet and with their publishers. And distribution. I'm sure they won't step on some other shit.

I don’t really care, at this point it’s an expectation that anyone wanting to work in the gaming industry should have. Like injuries in football, being on call as a Doctor, and your life being on the line as a cop/firefighter/military. It just comes with the job, at least CDPR is paying them for the extra hours.

You know, in the course of history, humanity has been able to call the dangers of a lot of jobs as "being part of it".

Men and children would work 7 days a week in a mine and the occasional gas pocket blowing up would "come with the job".

Women and children would work 7 days a week sewing together fabrics at the 8th floor of a warehouse without a safety ladder, and when those would go up like a tinder box, it would "come with the job".

Police/Firefighters would ask for bribes to save your house from burglars/fire, not even bother when it was too dangerous for them, and despotic rulers would throw away their countrymen in pointless military wars. You'd die from scurvy or get your limbs hacked off in the navy.

And then there were people who said, "hang on here. We could make things slightly better!".

"Hyperbole!" you say? Well, the solutions of these things came in tiny baby steps across centuries of improvement too.
One day, the miners and sewers got safety features. Police and fireman were expected to do their job and were given shiny new equipment so that they could do their jobs a lot safer too. Media and democracy decreased the risk of pointless wars for the military and every death is now a tragedy, while sailors in the navy have been given a better diet and more access to medicine.

I'd like to think that our human society, is based around making life better for people, just a tiny bit better everyday - even if just a little - and people not to sit around shrugging.

Game Industry Crunch? I don't expect it to vanish overnight, but let's at least commiserate with each other that: Yeah! We could make that better over the course of another century, if not this decade!

We have at the very least, the incremental urge towards it.

I don’t really care

So they have to work seven extra days till release? This is an outrage! Someone call Twitter.

click bait outrage

This just isnt a big deal.

That's business.

Kings among men!

I'm not looking for a revolution, or to adorn myself with a halo forged in the fires of righteous indignation. I'm just looking for the INCREMENTAL *URGE* towards improvement and a world where no-one has to work overtime. Can I get a millimeter towards that? Half of one? How hard do I need to squeeze the stone for the milk of human kindness? You guys must be able to envision or desire a world where everyone has it a little bit better? I don't get the reactionary urge to defend the negative as part-of-the-course, the reasoning that our present society is as good as it could possibly get, and judging any kind of societal improvement as just snowflake thinking.

I beg you CD Projekt Red, don't fall for the dark side of the force.

Alright, tone it down now. :ROFLMAO: I for one am not so ethical that I won't buy the game in November. Just that I would've been okay waiting a little longer and not willing to have this news go buy without at least mentioning it here.

Ideally it shouldn't happen if things were properly planned out and workloads properly evaluated. But that very rarely happens.

Quite frankly I was amazed they managed to held out until 50 days to release before asking people to do overtime. Other studios have had people crunch for upwards to a year, it's a sad truth of the industry.

People apparently value the deadline and the cost/income more than the health of their employees.

I'm with you. It's really sad when companies put this kind of pressure on employees. These are people and forcing them to work 12 hour days 6 days a week is terrible for health. This isn't a job where you should worry about exhaustion or your deadline. It is a job where you should worry about creating the best work you can and make it something you can be proud of. The audience can wait a bit longer so that the people don't work themselves to the bone for something that probably will just have more mistakes because the creators were stressed and rushed.

We are in agreement. This is sad and/or not-ideal. That's all I wanted to point out here.

When did any kind of mandatory overtime whatsoever become 'omg, evil corporation enslaves its workers!'.

Crunch originally became infamous because of months, sometimes year+, of 80-100 hour weeks under the implied threat of losing your job. Sometimes it wasn't even paid overtime. That kind of thing.

I'm a centrist myself, so yeah, calling things an evil corporation because of it this is a BIG stretch. Still, you are talking my language. Thing got better in the past. I just harbor a hope they'll get even better in future. CDPR tried, failed and let's hope they do better next time.

Go, Go, CDPR!

Last edited:
If you are so concerned about the devs, why not start a social movement to help people "crunching" in other jobs too? Why are the devs so special? Hell, go and boycott your local coffe shop, gas station or even better, hospital and police station, because I'm pretty certain that people working there are doing plenty of overtime, often unpaid.

I'm guessing 99% of the devs where already working extra on their own time anyway. I know I would with such cool products to work on. A bit of paid crunchtime should not trigger anybody. (And yes it IS part of the gaming industry game and totally logical in my opinion)

Game Industry Crunch? I don't expect it to vanish overnight, but let's at least commiserate with each other that: Yeah! We could make that better over the course of another century, if not this decade!

Under European labour law, crunch is unprofitable. In the US however, it unfortunately is quite profitable.

I'm not looking for a revolution, or to adorn myself with a halo forged in the fires of righteous indignation. I'm just looking for the INCREMENTAL *URGE* towards improvement and a world where no-one has to work overtime.

Optional paid overtime is not a bad thing. Especially for young people, it can be a good source of extra income.

CDPR tried, failed and let's hope they do better next time.

Go, Go, CDPR!

Well, given the messaging from CDPR higher ups seems disappointed at the turn of the events. I find it likely that they have found not doing crunch is more productive and profitable that doing crunch. And feel that the crunch they now have to do, likely due to the pandemic, is cutting into profits. Therefor in absence of a pandemic, they are unlikely to do much crunch.

Just my reading of their messaging.

I'm guessing 99% of the devs where already working extra on their own time anyway. I know I would with such cool products to work on. A bit of paid crunchtime should not trigger anybody. (And yes it IS part of the gaming industry game and totally logical in my opinion)

Free labour input into a commercial product is slavery at worst, market deformation at best and anti-capitalist regardless.

Real-world politics are NOT allowed. Keep in mind that is exactly what got the previous thread on this topic closed.

If you are so concerned about the devs, why not start a social movement to help people "crunching" in other jobs too? Why are the devs so special? Hell, go and boycott your local coffe shop, gas station or even better, hospital and police station, because I'm pretty certain that people working there are doing plenty of overtime, often unpaid.

While I think that CDPR staff have every right to be pissed about this, de facto losing six to seven weekends is a doozy. Doubly so, if you happen to have kids.

I also can sympathize with the people who don't see what the fuzz is about. In lots of blue collar jobs, overtime is ubiquous. And for some professions, there isn't even anyone who can easily take the fall for that. Like in healthcare. Especially now.

[...]

Crunch sure sucks, and I would prefer CDPR to delay again rather than overwork their employees if it means the game gets the attention and polish it needs in the last few weeks without cutting things from the game etc, but I'm sure the top dogs at CDPR didn't make the decision lightly. I've worked in construction for many years, and "crunch" exists with every deadline in every career, its near impossible to stay on target, especially now during a global pandemic. I feel like people hear "crunch" and immediately think of the health damaging crunch from Asian studios and the like, which I am confident is not the case here.

I've got experience in the construction, logistics and law/law enforcement fields, and there's crunch everywhere. Struggling to meet deadlines to finish construction projects and file planning permission applications, truckers and delivery drivers rushing to meet delivery deadlines and working overtime to transport crucial supplies or time sensitive stuff (I've had multiple deliveries due on a Thursday or Friday arrive on Saturday and Sundays, days the companies dont normally deliver, simply because COVID has backed up their logistics and they're working overtime to try get through backlogs). I've seen lawyers pulling long hours hammering out paperwork ahead of an impending court date, police officers and detectives spending long overtime nights at police stations working case paperwork, interviews and evidence to try make a case air tight before trial or a warrant deadline.

It sucks, big time, and in a game I'd rather see them delay and keep features they'd consider cutting to save time than to crunch for the deadline, but it is what it is. Pretty unavoidable, I'm just glad they'll be well compensated.

Funny how all the articles I read conveniently left out the part about 10% of the year's profit being split equally among the team.

You know, in the course of history, humanity has been able to call the dangers of a lot of jobs as "being part of it".

Men and children would work 7 days a week in a mine and the occasional gas pocket blowing up would "come with the job".

Women and children would work 7 days a week sewing together fabrics at the 8th floor of a warehouse without a safety ladder, and when those would go up like a tinder box, it would "come with the job".

Police/Firefighters would ask for bribes to save your house from burglars/fire, not even bother when it was too dangerous for them, and despotic rulers would throw away their countrymen in pointless military wars. You'd die from scurvy or get your limbs hacked off in the navy.
Right because working from home for 6 extra days is anywhere near any of those examples. 🙄

I wonder what the world would look like people were just as determined about getting their own lives together as they are about butting into other people’s.

It really sucks when overtime is mandatory, especially if you are salaried and exempt from the extra compensation. I truly hope everyone is compensated fairly, and ideally this period of crunch is followed by a really low stress period to let everyone recharge.

I know every job I've worked in software development has had these periods, heck most of my jobs before I was in development had mandatory OT. That's not to say it should be common practice, in an ideal world mandatory OT would never happen, but I can't say a company is bad bc it does it every so often in mission critical times. It sounds like they've gone years of development without mandatory overtime, which is pretty good in my opinion.

I really appreciate your efforts everyone, I sympathize with you it isn't easy and not having a choice feels bad, and I sincerely hope you can find things that make this sacrifice worth it for you personally.

"If you cannot make something perfect, then it's not worth doing it at all."
Sophism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom