Cyberpunk 2077 Difficulty Settings and Highest difficulty on 1st Playthrough

+

Guest 4375874

From the very little the devs have said about the difficulty settings in Cyberpunk 2077, it appears they have focused on making the game as accessible as possible for players not accustomed to FPS games. My concern is in doing this, introducing things like Smart Weapons, will this make even "hard" difficulty feel like normal difficulty. The difficulty settings look to be very similar to that of the Witcher 3 which I also played on Blood and Broken Bones (hard) on the first play through and then Death March(Insane) on New Game+. I'm wondering given the efforts made by the devs (understandably) to make the game more accessible whether the highest difficulty would be the most satisfying on first play through.

As I understand it the enemies won't scale in difficulty (the same as in Witcher 3) so after a certain point where you become a living weapon I'm hoping it won't feel too easy. There is the option of changing difficulty in game but changing difficulty because a certain area is too hard, only to switch it back afterwards takes the fun out of it for me personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dont use the smart weapons. I wont be playing with those.

My guess is theres a sizeable group of people that really want to play through the story with no FPS skills, like you already said.

I knew a guy like that at my previous job. Hes in his 40s, he really enjoys playing through games like that but the guy cant fight FPS to save his life.

My mom might even play. She usually plays games like Bauldors Gate. I can see her playing through and trying to win by mostly talking. She just doesnt have the FPS skills that most of us have.

I'm not the best. But I can play games against other people in Rainbow Six and hold my own. My problem is I am deaf in my right ear, so I have no sound placement. I cant tell if a sound I am hearing is coming from the left or the right. Sometimes it gets me killed.

The game can still be hard even with out the enemies scaling. It depends how the behaviors are programmed and how the weapons/armor is balanced.

With first person only fighting, reconnaissance will be more challenging, because you cant spy from behind cover as well.

Maybe when you engage an enemy you may not realize as easily that you are being flanked by another group of his/her buddies.

Guest 4375874

Just dont use the smart weapons. I wont be playing with those.

My guess is theres a sizeable group of people that really want to play through the story with no FPS skills, like you already said.

I knew a guy like that at my previous job. Hes in his 40s, he really enjoys playing through games like that but the guy cant fight FPS to save his life.

My mom might even play. She usually plays games like Bauldors Gate. I can see her playing through and trying to win by mostly talking. She just doesnt have the FPS skills that most of us have.

I'm not the best. But I can play games against other people in Rainbow Six and hold my own. My problem is I am deaf in my right ear, so I have no sound placement. I cant tell if a sound I am hearing is coming from the left or the right. Sometimes it gets me killed.
I actually want to use the smart weapons, but I want to know that the AI will be smart enough to know how to react to it or even use smart weapons of their own. I guess we'll see but I hope the options won't be to use them or not which determines how easy or difficult the game becomes.
Post automatically merged:

The game can still be hard even with out the enemies scaling. It depends how the behaviors are programmed and how the weapons/armor is balanced.

With first person only fighting, reconnaissance will be more challenging, because you cant spy from behind cover as well.

Maybe when you engage an enemy you may not realize as easily that you are being flanked by another group of his/her buddies.
I was actually wondering about that, why they don't have the option peek from behind cover. It's actually rather odd if you want to play as a netrunner and something I hope they add later

My very first one will probably be the normal difficulty. If there is an insensitive, I might give it a try. I'm always just that one step below no matter what game though. I don't have the patience for long bullet sponges because that was the only way they could think to make the game harder.

Guest 4375874

My very first one will probably be the normal difficulty. If there is an insensitive, I might give it a try. I'm always just that one step below no matter what game though. I don't have the patience for long bullet sponges because that was the only way they could think to make the game harder.
not really... smarter AI, different attack patterns, heavier damage, scarce resources etc. I don't play too many FPS games so perhaps bullet sponges are the go to but not usually in RPG games. The Witcher 3 did fairly well with that so I can only hope that is replicated here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dont use the smart weapons.
This.

Like, deadly serious. If someone else has fun playing with these types of weapons at their disposal then good for them. Let them have fun. You don't need to use them. Also, keep in mind that enemies will also have these weapons in theory. That means then if you can shoot them while they are behind cover, then they can shoot you while you are behind cover. That seems fairly balanced and potentially difficult to me.

not really... smarter AI, different attack patterns, heavier damage, scarce resources etc. I don't play too many FPS games so perhaps bullet sponges are the go to but not usually in RPG games. The Witcher 3 did fairly well that so I can only hope that is replicated here.

Fallout 4 survival mode was pretty hard. But I didnt have the patience to sit around and craft everything needed to survive.

And somehow when I tried to rest on a sleeping bag to force a save point, my stupid character managed to break her arm! How does that happen? Lol

But yeah, it was pretty hard. Just all the crafting, getting sick, breaking your arm trying to rest, getting addicted to stems, and just randomly dropping dead was too tedious for me.

Guest 4375874

This.

Also, keep in mind that enemies will also have these weapons in theory. That means then if you can shoot them while they are behind cover, then they can shoot you while you are behind cover. That seems fairly balanced and potentially difficult to me.
Yea, in theory...hence the post. I haven't seen this demonstrated in any gameplay reveals so far...the enemies seem to be very direct and linear in their approach but that could just be for promotional purposes. If in fact they use smart weapons or move intelligently then that would be great, that's what I'm hoping for. I'd be disappointed if it only came down to just you using smart weapons or not.

And somehow when I tried to rest on a sleeping bag to force a save point, my stupid character managed to break her arm! How does that happen? Lol

LOL :giveup:

not really... smarter AI, different attack patterns, heavier damage, scarce resources etc. I don't play too many FPS games so perhaps bullet sponges are the go to but not usually in RPG games. The Witcher 3 did fairly well with that so I can only hope that is replicated here.
True, but that's not really standard, and still then, 100% of all loot in that game is still the exact same trash, so there's still no real point. Great game, but bad, bad, bad loot.

Iirc cP2077 was gonna have 4 difficulty levels, but Im not 100% sure on this plus it could theoretically still change.

I wouldnt mind bit harder difficulty which would force me to think what Im doing, but we shall see. The reason Im not sure is the level system, which throws a wrench in the works. Difficult can be easy and easy can be difficult depending on my level. Levels just fuck everything up.

I hope I can manage to find a good middle road in terms of difficulty despite levels.

ps. Im 44 years old and I enjoy playing Overwatch and R6 siege at times (Im not good but still play). I also never played FPS games until Overwatch was released. Anybody can do it.. (admittedly I have esports background from 10 years ago.. but not from FPS games)

From the very little the devs have said about the difficulty settings in Cyberpunk 2077, it appears they have focused on making the game as accessible as possible for players not accustomed to FPS games. My concern is in doing this, introducing things like Smart Weapons, will this make even "hard" difficulty feel like normal difficulty.
You'd rather the game be unplayable by those unskilled with or incapable of playing FPS games?

Seems to me that asking a bit of self-restraint or expecting "fair play" from the PvP community (once multi-player CP2077 is released) isn't to much to ask.

Or does a game have to be designed to prevent cheaters, hackers, and people with no self-restraint from being able to indulge in their vices?

Are you asking if there will be a difficulty setting actually capable of being difficult if the player has mastered the game systems? If so then I'd think the answer would be probably not. I can't recall many SP games fitting this description (it's actually zero).

I think the general rule of thumb is if you want unforgiving and hard you play against other players.

Personal opinion, if the highest difficulty in CP ends up playing like it did in TW3 it will be fine. In which case it won't be difficult enough to make you sweat but will provide enough challenge to keep you engaged.

Guest 4375874

Are you asking if there will be a difficulty setting actually capable of being difficult if the player has mastered the game systems? If so then I'd think the answer would be probably not. I can't recall many SP games fitting this description (it's actually zero).

I think the general rule of thumb is if you want unforgiving and hard you play against other players.

Personal opinion, if the highest difficulty in CP ends up playing like it did in TW3 it will be fine. In which case it won't be difficult enough to make you sweat but will provide enough challenge to keep you engaged.
well not quite, the question was whether actively adding elements to make the game more accessible, indirectly make it a bit too easy overall.

You'd rather the game be unplayable by those unskilled with or incapable of playing FPS games?
Not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I said, maybe you misinterpreted something... :shrug:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I said, maybe you misinterpreted something... :shrug:
Generic "you" not personally.

Same way the rest of my comments address the community at large not individuals who may, or may not, engage in the behaviors mentioned.

well not quite, the question was whether actively adding elements to make the game more accessible, indirectly make it a bit too easy overall.

What kind of elements did you have in mind? They already confirmed that the smartguns with their self-aimed projectiles were added to help people who have trouble aiming.

Seems to me that asking a bit of self-restraint or expecting "fair play" from the PvP community (once multi-player CP2077 is released) isn't to much to ask.

Eh what?

What?

You ask what exactly? That in PVP people would give ..... what? Let you shoot them? What?

1. multiplayer is not the same thing as PVP
2. If you expect opponents in PVP to be... kind to those less capable, you have no idea about how PVP works.

"The essence of war is violence! Moderation in war is imbecility! "
- John Fisher, 1st Baron Fisher

I think my ideal setup would be something like:

Easy - incoming damage reduced to 25%. Outgoing damage set at 100%.

Normal - incoming damage set at 100%. Outgoing damage set at 100%.

Hard - incoming damage set at 100%. Outgoing damage set at 75%

Very Hard - Incoming damage set at 500%. Outgoing damage set at 500%.

Basically the Very Hard difficulty should just be 2-3 shots kill you and your enemies. Everything’s incredibly lethal. You’ll need to make extensive use of enhancements, consumables, weapons, whatever gives you the edge in a fight.

I didn't wair 8 years to just go through the game destroying everything, i want a challenge and the need to actually make a good build.

Normal will be a pushover difficulty for sure.

You ask what exactly? That in PVP people would give ..... what? Let you shoot them? What?
Not use aimbots.
Not use speed hacks.
Not spawn camp.
Not exploit code loopholes/errors.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
I.E. all the typical shenanigans PvP is infamous for.

Top Bottom