Cyberpunk 2077 Expansions and Potential Sequels - Let's Discuss Our Preferences

+

What would be your preference regarding the setting and protagonist of the potential sequel?

• I want to stay in Night City and continue V's story.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I want to stay in Night City, but play as a completely new character.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I would rather explore different places then Night City as V.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I would rather explore different places then Night City as a new character.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • To be honest, both are fine by me.

Votes: 17 34.0%

• Total voters
While Cyberpunk 2077 is still several months away, with a huge hype machine behind it, extremely favorable impressions and CDPR's track record, it's hard to imagine it falling completely flat on it's face and not being an another massive success. The studio itself seems to strongly believe in this project by already sharing their plans for turning it into a video game franchise that can be considered "eternal", one that will grow into an integral part of popculture, which will definitely translate into a new games for us to (hopefully) enjoy in the future. Because of that, I was doing some speculations in my head and I started really wonder about the direction the series could potentially take with it's expansions and full fledged games. Not regarding the potential plots or anything of that sort, mind you, but a very basic things, like the setting, protagonist and the major features. I am interested in what you think about it, so in order to properly initiate the discussion about the future potential direction for the franchise, I will start with a three simple questions I want to ask you about your preferences on that subject:

1) Would you prefer for the expansions and sequels to take place in the same place as Cyberpunk 2077 (Night City) with some modifications, kinda like in the original tabletop the game is based on, and maybe expanded territory or a completely new location?

2) Would you prefer for the expansions and sequels to feature V as a recurring protagonist that we import from game to game with all our experiences so far or a completely new protagonist for every story?

3) What kind of major feature would you like for CDPR to add to their formula? By that I mean that, for example, The Witcher 3 added open world to the formula, Cyberpunk 2077 is adding an open gameplay, so the question is in what regard you wish for them to make another big step forward on top of those previous elements?

Of course, the expansions and sequels can be treated separately, so from expansion you may want X for the setting, while wanting Y for the sequel.

So let's discuss!

If they are going to create a sequel, I prefer it either takes place in Chicago or another country to make the game have its own unique blend. I don't want a copy paste game. So, maybe a different city or perhaps a different country would be a pretty good choice.

If CD projeck does create a game in a different country, they will have more creative freedom since cyberpunk lore doesn't have many in depth extensive sources on different countries.

Also, maybe Texas could be a good idea too. Texas is vastly different in a cultural way. Since America is fractured, a Wild-West cyberpunk style setting where the past and the future meet each other. The premise, your a nomad in the countryside. In that way, maybe, we can visit different cities.

For expansions that would be easy night city is in between Los Angeles and San Francisco and San Diego so will you can do three expansions on that alone involving your V visiting those cities as for sequels I would like to keep the regular V but new protagonist for part 2 will not be bad and could bring back both protagonist for a third game and that be it for that trilogy.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk 2020 - Map - Night City Integrates.JPG
    Cyberpunk 2020 - Map - Night City Integrates.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 1,040
1) Would you prefer for the expansions and sequels to take place in the same place as Cyberpunk 2077 (Night City) with some modifications, kinda like in the original tabletop the game is based on, and maybe expanded territory or a completely new location?

Night City.

2) Would you prefer for the expansions and sequels to feature V as a recurring protagonist that we import from game to game with all our experiences so far or a completely new protagonist for every story?

Expansions: V (because expansions aren't long enough to makes a new character interesting, and because I have no interest in making a new character if it's still limited by using the same game engine, with for example lacks of social stats).

New Game: Another character. Preferably less defined than V.
Way less defined than V.

3) What kind of major feature would you like for CDPR to add to their formula? By that I mean that, for example, The Witcher 3 added open world to the formula, Cyberpunk 2077 is adding an open gameplay, so the question is in what regard you wish for them to make another big step forward on top of those previous elements?

1) By far: Having social stats. I want V's ability to do social things take as much place in the character sheet as V's ability to kill things or V's ability to hack things.

2) More Roles. Add the missing roles (classes).

3) Makes humanity a real thing, making you actually think twice before adding more Cyber. Easier done if 1) is there.

Last edited:

1) Both. While I expect notable quest line additions or new (sub-)plots, I also specifically look for additions to the existing world.

2) If the core thing I look for can be utilized via or with V, then I don't mind it. Otherwise, perhaps a new protagonist or spin-off protagonist might be a solution.

3) Currently the biggest thing I "miss" was the original idea or premise of "classes", or since those are usually more tied to a character build, I'd rather speak of factions you can help or even join regardless of your class or skillset.

So long story short, I realize they changed the narrative and I doubt they then circumvent that via DLCs but that's what I would look for: The ability to get closer to factions and (quasi) join them. Doesn't have to be a whole quest line with formal career, but seeing Night City through the legit eyes of a corpo, cop, rockerboy, gang member, fixer, god knows what, that is something I'd like to see. So far I can only speculate on how deep V can get with factions, but since they changed the narrative it seems pretty apparent I can't expect V to become a cop or psycho squad member.

But being able to get close to such roles is just what I miss for a dystopian futuristic world and if a DLC can flesh this out or offer this through enhanced or increased side content, I would be happy.

------------------------

TL;DR: I look for "classic" DLCs that add new sub-plots and worldspaces, but also would like DLCs that overhaul or add parts of gameplay, e.g. enhanced factions whether explorable through existing character or a new protagonist.

It's 2:20AM for me, so I'll return to this and give more detailed thoughts later. For now, so I don't forget...

1) I'd prefer a new location. As I stated in the other thread, preferably something with snow as a possible weather effect. It need not be 24/7. Japan sounds cool, I believe @CyberBrett suggested that. Maybe a Cyberpunk Tokyo? Does it snow in Tokyo? I don't know. But a different city, yes please.

2) I don't know, really. As I also said in the other thread, I'm torn. I see value in both. I think right now I lean toward continuing my V's story in new ways, with new features, mechanics, etc.

3) So, we have freedom of story choices (to a degree) and freedom of gameplay. Next, I'd want freedom of movement. Flying cars, rooftops, and incentives for exploring those areas. Mountains, rivers, boats to ride and lakes to swim under. I also want them to add a third and first person toggle.

I always thought the pre-E3 2018 rumored moon expansion sounded cool. And of course something based on the zetatech job. :)

EDIT: Definitely want to stay as V. IMO doesn't make sense to change POV for expansions.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that Earth orbit and Moon are pretty safe bets for a DLC. Too big to add to the base game, too small for a separate game, ideal for a DLC.

DLCs built around Cyberpunk Classes, like Corp Char Story, Medic Char Story, Media Char Story, we get much deeper look into the world. Also I think for sequel they should improve the Night City instead of building new city, so in lets say 6 year (I figured it takse like 3 year to make improvements) we would have most awesome City in game industry. Yeah, thats what I think.

Googled it

In the typical year, Tokyo gets only one or two days of light snowfall, and the snow rarely remains on the ground for more than a few days, if it collects at all. ... The best time to visit these snowy destinations is in January and February when the snow is at its deepest.Mar 18, 2019

I need to play 2077 before having any idea of what they'll need to improve/add/change, of course.

The only things I already know are not in 2077 and I want in the future are:
-contextual animations
-flying cars
-more attention to "immersive details" (+X% DMG to bullets perk is immersion breaking, "epic/legendary" gear is immersion breaking... etc.)

Googled it

In the typical year, Tokyo gets only one or two days of light snowfall, and the snow rarely remains on the ground for more than a few days, if it collects at all. ... The best time to visit these snowy destinations is in January and February when the snow is at its deepest.Mar 18, 2019

Chicago gets snow and it's by lake so pretty cold...

Since the poll specifically asks about a potential sequel, I don't have a preference regarding the setting or the character.

Expansions I'd definitely want to have V as the player character.

I've only ever played one major game expansion that didn't add any new areas, and that one expansion is Skyrim's Hearthfire, so I don't know what the full potential of not adding a new area is. :p
I do know that I absolutely love Toussaint, and in general going by Witcher 3's expansions I would say adding a new area (even if it's not an entire new map) is a good thing.
But yeah, I don't really know about that part.

Top Bottom