Cyberpunk 2077 for linux?

+
Cyberpunk 2077 for linux?

What people think, should Cyberpunk 2077 have a linux support?

Personally, when choosing what upcoming games to buy and support, linux support is a huge part of the decision. I certainly hope that Cyberpunk 2077.

Checked the FAQ and known features thread and nothing was said about this so I started this thread/poll.

I'd be infinitely surprised if this game had Mac OS X support. I predict it will rely heavily on DX11, rather whatever version is used when they get into development.

Linux is a popular platform for Indie developers because they have generally low priority graphics and it isn't hard to port it at that point. Every little bit of customer base they can expand helps as well.

I’d love to see this game for a Linux OS simply because it’s time AAA gaming spread to open source OSs. I mean that’s the only reason why I still use Windows, otherwise I’d have switched ages ago. Wine just isn’t enough.

If their engine is portable enough to bring out TW2 native on Mac, I don't see a Linux port as an excessive technical challenge. Both are OpenGL, and the devs are good enough coders that they have already avoided making themselves dependent on Microsoft lock-ins. I think we're more likely to see it for Mac, though, because of sticky little commercial details like market size and return on investment.

If their engine is portable enough to bring out TW2 native on Mac, I don't see a Linux port as an excessive technical challenge. Both are OpenGL, and the devs are good enough coders that they have already avoided making themselves dependent on Microsoft lock-ins. I think we're more likely to see it for Mac, though, because of sticky little commercial details like market size and return on investment.

I completely and entirely forgot about the witcher series being native to Mac, even though I own it. I retract my previous post.

If it is possible, it would be very nice for the linux crowd to get their hands on this. I'm all for including people.

I say no on this but only for 1 reason. I'm assuming this game is going to Steam like The Witcher games. And Steam is working on Steam for Linux. So this would just be 1 more crowd of people pushing for Steam for Linux.

I guess my 2nd reason is I dual boot Linux and Windows. I keep all my games in Windows and all my work in Linux... so personally I don't want them to cross over. I support Steam for Linux, but I doubt if I will use it even when it comes out. That is until Microsoft starts pulling some really stupid DRM or support issues.

The more the merrier. Pretty sure sometime after launch it will make it's way to mac, if not simultaneously. Hopefully all witcher games and CP77 will go to linux by the time they are launched.

I say no on this but only for 1 reason. I'm assuming this game is going to Steam like The Witcher games. And Steam is working on Steam for Linux. So this would just be 1 more crowd of people pushing for Steam for Linux.

I guess my 2nd reason is I dual boot Linux and Windows. I keep all my games in Windows and all my work in Linux... so personally I don't want them to cross over. I support Steam for Linux, but I doubt if I will use it even when it comes out. That is until Microsoft starts pulling some really stupid DRM or support issues.
I have few questions for you:

1) Why is this a bad thing?

2) Why you wouldn't run steam on linux? I ask this because I feel that dualboot is such a hassle. I like the freedom of just being able to play a game when I want to and not have to deal with restarting my computer. Also, without dualbooting I can use all of my limited diskspace on one os, instead of having to distribute it for multiple os's.

I have few questions for you:

1) Why is this a bad thing?

2) Why you wouldn't run steam on linux? I ask this because I feel that dualboot is such a hassle. I like the freedom of just being able to play a game when I want to and not have to deal with restarting my computer. Also, without dualbooting I can use all of my limited diskspace on one os, instead of having to distribute it for multiple os's.

1) I don't know what the "this" you're referring to is exactly, but I didn't mean to imply that anything about Cyberpunk for Linux would be bad, just that it might push Steam for Linux out faster, which would be good.

2) I don't find dualbooting to be a hassle. If I'm wanting to use my computer leisurely and play games, I boot into Windows. If I'm wanting to get serious and work, I boot into Linux. I don't like mixing business with pleasure if you will. When I do development for different platforms I like to test my programs in both OS and I don't like the resource constraints of Virtual Machines because I have an older machine. I also personally don't find the loss of 30GB from a 500GB HDD for a Linux partition to be very "limiting."

Top Bottom