Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux

+
Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux

To CD Projekt Red:

Now you are officially reallocating most of the development resources to Cyberpunk 2077, which includes I assume the future iteration of REDengine and all related work. So it should be a good time to ask, are you going to develop the Linux version from the start and can we expect same day release (unlike your previous games), or you don't plan to do that?

To the community:

Do you expect anything from CDPR? Do you think they'll share any work in progress details, or we'll get no information until the actual release?

Last edited:
[Do you expect anything from CDPR?]

Not really.

[Do you think they'll share any work in progress details]

No.

[or we'll get no information until the actual release?]

Yes.

That's my assessment as well :) I think after recent problems with looming fine for stock market manipulation and "downgrade" debacles, they decided not to publish any information about work in progress whatsoever. It's just my guess, but it seems likely. So the good old times when they shared their WIP are now probably gone for good. You can notice a repeating pattern how they completely ignore any questions not just about their future plans, but even about their current development.

However, information whether they plan same day Linux release or not they can probably share, since it's rather general in nature.

---------- Updated at 10:37 PM ----------

On a side note, they'll probably have easier time developing Linux version of Cyberpunk 2077, than Witcher 3 one. Because we can expect that they'll use DX12 for Xbox One version of CP2077, and DX12 is way more similar to Vulkan (since it was cloned from Mantle), than DX11 to OpenGL 4.x.

Last edited:
Nope. I'm just hoping the windows version isn't consolized again.

Yeah, how hard could it be to port the console controls over to a PC say a week before going gold then test to see how well they work.
Most games lately are console ports ... I have no issues with this ... they sell more copies for consoles since a lot more people own them. But damn it ... TEST the fricking port !

However, information whether they plan same day Linux release or not they can probably share, since it's rather general in nature.

As a one-time programmer/analyst I can tell you language or operating system ports are NEVER as easy as they "should" be.
It's really a matter of: "Will we sell sufficient Linux versions of the game to be worth the time and trouble?"

Last edited:
I actually have an issue with this. Consolization produces poorly designed UI. You can't compromise such things if you want high quality result. Controller oriented UI should be different form keyboard and mouse oriented one. Taking approach of "one size fits all" is already a failure - any expert UI designer will tell you that. And the fact that so many ignore this issue shows how much they care about quality.

Last edited:
Taking approach of "one size fits all" is already a failure - any expert UI designer will tell you that. And the fact that so many ignore this issue shows how much they care about quality.

While I don't begin to agree with the current philosophy of designing UIs with console limitations in mind; i.e. four possible dialog responses because more would be "difficult" for console players ... god forbid they might have to scroll a list not push a ready-at-thumb button; I can understand why they do it. Still doesn't mean I have to like it. And I agree there is zero excuse for crappy console to PC UI ports.

And since they already are working on the Linux version of REDengine for TW3, I assume they don't plan to waste that effort and it will roll over to Cyberpunk 2077 development. Also, keep in mind that their future engine is not limited to CP2077. They have some grandiose plans of releasing it to the world for other people to make games. And therefore adding Linux support is an investment in their engine future.

I suspect CP2077 will be on an updated/graded version of REDengine. As to any engine they may use in the future, not a clue, but one could logically assume it'll handle consoles, Windows, and Linux. But the main reason Linux (and use to be some console and/or PC) releases are often delayed is pretty simple. You need to ship out a product that the majority of your customer base can use on schedule. Widening that customer base is usually worthwhile, but getting it to the majority is always the priority.

Last edited:
As a one-time programmer/analyst I can tell you language ports are NEVER as easy as they "should" be.
It's really a matter of: "Will we sell sufficient Linux versions of the game to be worth the time and trouble?"

It's not a language port (I assume their engine is in C++), but rather OS port. And since they already are working on the Linux version of REDengine for TW3, I assume they don't plan to waste that effort and it will roll over to Cyberpunk 2077 development. Also, keep in mind that their future engine is not limited to CP2077. They have some grandiose plans of releasing it to the world for other people to make games. And therefore adding Linux support is an investment in their engine future.

Imagine some developer deciding whether to use REDengine, or some other competing engine like Cry or Unreal and skipping RED because of insufficient cross platform support in comparison with all the competition (all major engines available for third party developers already support Linux). That's not a situation that CDPR want to end up in. So they probably are already passed the question of "does it worth the trouble". It obviously does.

---------- Updated at 02:06 AM ----------

I suspect CP2077 will be on an updated/graded version of REDengine. As to any engine they may use in the future, not a clue, but one could logically assume it'll handle consoles, Windows, and Linux. But the main reason Linux (and use to be some console and/or PC) releases are often delayed is pretty simple. You need to ship out a product that the majority of your customer base can use on schedule. Widening that customer base is usually worthwhile, but getting it to the majority is always the priority.

Such excuse is more acceptable for some small studio with very limited resources. It's not acceptable for serious big studio of CDPR size. Even smaller studios like inXile and Obsidian already produce Linux releases on day one. They might be in somewhat different situation, because they use third party engines like Unity and Unreal, but using in-house engine actually makes it easier, since they control the development and can fix bugs in way more timely manner.

Last edited:
I've little to no knowledge of Linux. How much difference is there between Linux and Windows?

A...fair bit. I haven't used it in years, but in short, it's generally faster, more reliable, more secure and less versatile with the same amount of effort. In other words, if you get something that works in Linux, it rocks. If not, it'll take effort to make it work in Linux.

Gilrond loves it - and goes evangelical at the drop of a neckbeard, so be aware - and can explain in greater depth.

Oh, it's also friendly to open-source stuff. That's a big deal to some people.

Open-source development is very Cyberpunk, of course. And quashing it is also very Cyberpunk!

-IF- 2077 comes to Linux, it will be a good thing. CDPR, however, is notoriously close-mouthed on the subject.

According to wikipedia and Statcounter, Linux is 1.57% of desktop OS, with WIndows versions at over 90%. Whether or not you trust the accuracy of these figures, Linux is not a convincing segment of the consumer population for CDPR to enthusiastically support it.

Which is too bad, since, frankly, open source does rock. But, you know, money, time, etc.

The trick for Linux supporters, ( hint hint) is to encourage Linux and it's use without becoming annoying. Sort of like being a missionary, only promoting something real and, generally, better.

The Linux crowd tends to be VERY passionate ... reminds me of the other fanboy groups that exist for various styles of games ... not mentioning ... *cough* FPS ... any by name.

-IF- 2077 comes to Linux, it will be a good thing. CDPR, however, is notoriously close-mouthed on the subject.

My impression is that they are now very close-mouthed on all subjects, and no information about Linux development is just one example out of many. Do they provide any information on their other work in progress?

---------- Updated at 04:08 PM ----------

I've little to no knowledge of Linux. How much difference is there between Linux and Windows?

Not to go too much into off-topic (we have specfically Linux focused threads, so if you want more in depth discussion it's better to take it there*), Linux is another operating system. There are many differences both architectural (Linux kernel is different from Windows kernel) as well as organizational (Linux is free / open source software developed by multitude of participants both corporate and individuals, while Windows is closed proprietary software developed and controlled solely by Microsoft). These differences have various implications for users of these systems, both social and technical (security, privacy and etc.).

From practical standpoint, for most end users operating system is usually associated with the user experience (UX), and not so much the actual OS (kernel). In this regard Windows is very limited - i.e. it provides MS developed interface which changes from release to release. Linux on the other hand has quite a number of desktop environments (DE) which can be used atop of standard Linux stack. I.e. there is way more choice and flexibility in adjusting the user experience to your specific needs.

In cyberpunk context, FOSS (free and open source software) is actually key component for protection of civil liberties and prevention of totalitarian / Orwellian kind of society. With technology increasingly permeating everyday life, and computing taking the key role in so many social aspects, issues of software freedom start directly translating into social issues and civil liberties. To put it shortly, if someone (corporation / government, etc.) has an overreaching control over technology that permeates life of all people, they basically have excessive control over the society.
______
*) 1: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16495-Gaming-on-Linux-howtos-hints-and-tips
2: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16842-Gaming-on-Linux-news-and-developments

Last edited:
Top Bottom