Cyberpunk 2077 FPP/TPP confirmed

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty happy with thenews, qnd I am quietly optimistic that it's accurate.

I would prefer beingable to toggle into FPP during gunfights. Otherwise I would most probably be on TPP for the extra spacial awareness and to be able to look at my character more.

I really don't see melee working very well from FPP, and it certainly wouldn't look at cool as from TPP.

I really don't see melee working very well from FPP, and it certainly wouldn't look at cool as from TPP.

Elder Scrolls Online added the first person view because of a huge outcry by the fan base, and now you can do first person combat in it, melee included. Here's a video:

Note that the video is obviously from a beta.

For an FPS junkie, it looks awesome. For someone who's used to third person, I'm sure it looks horrible. However, there's absolutely no contest as far as immersion goes, and while I do agree that third person view does offer the ability to look at your character from the outside as he's fighting, that's the exact opposite of immersion.

For me, I'd obviously take the hybrid, as I've stated before, but I wouldn't mind doing melee in first person. I'd just like there to be some added cutscenes during those fights, so when you do a move, or finish someone, there's a scripted cutscene that takes place. That's when you'd be able to see your character, and it wouldn't be just some uncontrolled kicking and punching at the general direction of an enemy, but a cool cutscene instead.

Still, I'm glad the game now allows us to truly immerse ourselves into it by jumping into first person view.

Elder Scrolls Online added the first person view because of a huge outcry by the fan base, and now you can do first person combat in it, melee included. Here's a video:

Note that the video is obviously from a beta.

For an FPS junkie, it looks awesome. For someone who's used to third person, I'm sure it looks horrible. However, there's absolutely no contest as far as immersion goes, and while I do agree that third person view does offer the ability to look at your character from the outside as he's fighting, that's the exact opposite of immersion.

For me, I'd obviously take the hybrid, as I've stated before, but I wouldn't mind doing melee in first person. I'd just like there to be some added cutscenes during those fights, so when you do a move, or finish someone, there's a scripted cutscene that takes place. That's when you'd be able to see your character, and it wouldn't be just some uncontrolled kicking and punching at the general direction of an enemy, but a cool cutscene instead.

Still, I'm glad the game now allows us to truly immerse ourselves into it by jumping into first person view.

There are a lot of examples of both good FP and TP melee combat, but they all work for the perspective they are meant for unless they are intended to suck (see deus ex takedowns). When a core system like the locomotion one is toned down to dead turtle's speed and very few movements, it will work for FPP and look toned down from TPP like your average fpp/tpp hybrid. Viceversa for games like the dmc ones or overgrowth. Actually, both Mirror's edge and Overgrowth share specular combat systems done from different perspectives. So you can see why melee is better as something on its own and not FPP based.
Also, immersion is usually mistaken for realism. Instead, immersion concernes a spatial presence (along with other sensorial and fictional factors) you can get from both fpp and tpp. Looking for realism is something different.

I am hoping the mix is just the allowing of a choice... 0perhaps with an automatic toggle, so melee combat automatically moves to 3rd person, while using a scope or aiming zomms into FPP. But the rest of the game being programmed for 3rd person, with the option to toggle at any point.

However, I remain skeptical.

When a core system like the locomotion one is toned down to dead turtle's speed and very few movements, it will work for FPP and look toned down from TPP like your average fpp/tpp hybrid.

If you're trying to say that first person games are "slower" than third person games, then boy aren't you way off. People have been zooming around FPS maps at light speed for decades now. Go check some Quake speedruns or some CS clan matches for example, and you'll see some pretty impressive performances.

In fact, I'd say it's the third person games where you have to slow down the action, because in a third person game you've got the player model in view, and it's meant to be seen. In first person games it doesn't matter how fast you move, since you don't see yourself.

Also, immersion is usually mistaken for realism. Instead, immersion concernes a spatial presence (along with other sensorial and fictional factors) you can get from both fpp and tpp. Looking for realism is something different.

Immersion, as in the game appearing as if you are the character; it's your eyes you're looking through, it's your hands you see on the screen, you're holding on to the gun, sounds are picked up by the character model's ears exactly as if you heard them yourself, especially if you're wearing headphones. Not you staring at the back of the head of some guy who's moving on the screen. Not you watching as some guy on the screen does some things while you're hovering above and behind him, as if you're some guardian angel or voyeur in a window.

You know, immersion? Has nothing to do with "realism".

If you're trying to say that first person games are "slower" than third person games, then boy aren't you way off. People have been zooming around FPS maps at light speed for decades now. Go check some Quake speedruns or some CS clan matches for example, and you'll see some pretty impressive performances.

In fact, I'd say it's the third person games where you have to slow down the action, because in a third person game you've got the player model in view, and it's meant to be seen. In first person games it doesn't matter how fast you move, since you don't see yourself.

That's actually how it is. Just look to a dmc game. Fighting, jumping, dodging is easier in this perspective. There are third person mods even for quake, ut, half life without mentioning games like legions overdrive and gunz. Not the over the shoulder stuff coupled with the tp cover based subegenre, which denies all the good stuff coming from tpp like mobility and fast movement. Whenever it comes to movement speed, that thing in particular actually depends on the game core mechanics.
Also zooming and aiming down the sights are different things: quake's railgun zooming isn't a mechanic taking over the whole game and doesn't drop your mouse sensitivity almost to nothing like Ironsights in other games do. That's actuaklly something meant to dumb down a weapon.
I don't get the last statement, but speed in quake is percevied as a feeling of infinite since the weapon is the only thing visually hinting at your body behaviour while third person games have the whole avatar as point of reference to feel movement's speed.

Immersion, as in the game appearing as if you are the character; it's your eyes you're looking through, it's your hands you see on the screen, you're holding on to the gun, sounds are picked up by the character model's ears exactly as if you heard them yourself, especially if you're wearing headphones. Not you staring at the back of the head of some guy who's moving on the screen. Not you watching as some guy on the screen does some things while you're hovering above and behind him, as if you're some guardian angel or voyeur in a window.

That almost sounds like a simulation to me

Pretty sure that's what i said :p If there's something arguable about what's immersive, that'd be non immersive stuff is related to things that don't make sense in the game world like numbers popping out of enemies in rpgs, and also things leaving gaps into players' imagination. While tpp might not make sense to you, not that people wonders about which perspective makes sense or not, it doesn't leave imagination gaps to fill as the avatar and the gameworld are easy to perceive and makes the game more exciting than it could be in first person for the reasons i stated above.

I'm going to have to agree with Schiff on this one. It's all down to how each person mentally interprets the abstract data. I have no problems with immersion in either third or first person, I can still accept that on some level 'that guy' I can see on the screen is still 'me', (even though I can physically see hima nd I am not looking through his eyes,) but then I handle abstract data and concepts very well.

Also, to expand and explain my earlier comment about FPP not being well suited to melee, I had unarmed combat in mind in particular. Almost all FPP melee ends up in a bizare 'flailing' technique, (ala Bethseda,) which is both visually uninspiring and limited in scope. I want to be able to headbutt, roundhosue kick, sweep kick, upper cut and throw my way through Night City. That would be best achieved in TPP.

I almost forgot, I want to be able to get a serious kick to the nads in on opponents with my customised cyberleg, (featuring reinforced spiky shin guards.) FPP just does not cut it in this situation.

I think the shooting will be in FPP. Other stuff like running, driving vehicles, cutscenes, melee combat etc. will be in TPP. When you choose a gun the camera will switch to FPP. For me It's the best solution.

I still maintain that TP has more versatility from a gameplay standpoint, while FP is the more immersive shooting experience. So it depends on their focus. I'm skeptical of trying to give both equal emphasis in a game.

When You have tons of customization options that let You create an unique character, Swag Jacket for example, cool toys hair styles etc. You want to see Your character only in cutscenes or in inventory window?? For me FPP in this case will be a bad choice

I think the shooting will be in FPP. Other stuff like running, driving vehicles, cutscenes, melee combat etc. will be in TPP. When you choose a gun the camera will switch to FPP. For me It's the best solution.

The problem with that is the issue of disorientation. In a fight that change of perspective could cost you a second or two while you reorient yourself. I am fine with most of the shooting being in TPP. Look at Mass Effect, Hitman, Alpha Protocol and Max Payne. They lost nothing from shooting from TPP.

I am pro-choice though. I feel that different situations warrant different perspectives and I would like to have the option to choose whcih perspective I use for what task. That is why I am largely against the overall concept of 'intelligent' perspective changing.

When You have tons of customization options that let You create an unique character, Swag Jacket for example, cool toys hair styles etc. You want to see Your character only in cutscenes or in inventory window?? For me FPP in this case will be a bad choice

We are hoping there will be no cut-scenes, or at least very few.

Hm, I mean, I want there to be storytelling, and some times you need cutscenes to do that.

But I don't think there's any general consensus on this.

Agreed. I don't like extended cut-scenes for storytelling, but am OK with some, and I don't have any problems with dialogue being done through cutscene.

Hm, I mean, I want there to be storytelling, and some times you need cutscenes to do that.

But I don't think there's any general consensus on this.

Agreed. I don't like extended cut-scenes for storytelling, but am OK with some, and I don't have any problems with dialogue being done through cutscene.

To clarify, I do not count dialogue as a standard 'cut-scene'. I was refering to other cut-scenes, like ones that are usually used to hide loading screens and such. And the reason I refered to 'we' was because I took the majority concensus from the thread on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom