Cyberpunk 2077 FPP/TPP confirmed

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now explain me what exactly is bad about that.

Do you rather want to actually see a loading screen?

As the entire thread on the subject discusses, the majority of the people who commented on it, (myself included,) don't want loading screens, or at least as few as possible. But, of there are loading screens then I would prefer a context appropriate cut-scene to an actual loading screen.

Forum veteran
This really isn't surprising; it's like every design decision they've made for either game is an attempt to make me crazy. Open world with a non-linear story, hardware-specific effects, etcetera. But hey, maybe they'll be the first ones to use both perspectives without either butchering or minimizing one to the point of meaninglessness.

Anyway, I'm more interested in the fact that 2077's story apparently won't be jaw-dropping. I wonder if that means that there will be less of a focus on the story, or if they just haven't written it yet?

Anyway, I'm more interested in the fact that 2077's story apparently won't be jaw-dropping. I wonder if that means that there will be less of a focus on the story, or if they just haven't written it yet?

What do you mean by "Not Jaw-Dropping"? Would you mind providing the source for your statement please.

And if you read the thread started by Max Mike in the PnP sub-forum he clearly states that there is a team of people at CDPR writting the story, (with his guidance.)

Forum veteran
What do you mean by "Not Jaw-Dropping"? Would you mind providing the source for your statement please.
Witcher 3: "jaw-dropping story"
2077: "futuristic story driven RPG"

Obviously they'd never say that it won't be jaw-dropping outright, but they don't usually miss a chance to whore out the adjectives.

Witcher 3: "jaw-dropping story"
2077: "futuristic story driven RPG"

Obviously they'd never say that it won't be jaw-dropping outright, but they don't usually miss a chance to whore out the adjectives.

That source has yet to be confirmed as official and given that the 2077 story is still being written, I would say it's far too early to decide if "jaw-dropping" is an appropriate term or not. Given how far away we still are from even an approximate release date, unlike TW3, I don't imagine CDPR will be forthcoming with any information on the story in the immediate future.

In short, I believe you are jumping the gun on this one 227.

Forum veteran
I would say it's far too early to decide if "jaw-dropping" is an appropriate term or not.
Language appropriate to the occasion isn't exactly something CDPR is known for. Half the time I'm amazed they have the restraint to avoid using phrases like "cancer-curing."

In short, I believe you are jumping the gun on this one 227.
Obviously, but we all are.

Besides, stretching is important. That's why yoga is a thing.

Language appropriate to the occasion isn't exactly something CDPR is known for. Half the time I'm amazed they have the restraint to avoid using phrases like "cancer-curing."

Obviously, but we all are.

Besides, stretching is important. That's why yoga is a thing.

Fair enough, but the immediate source of this information is not CDPR, so it needs to be confirmed before any of these assumptions will even begin to hold water.

And as far as stertching goes, this is starting to feel less like yoga and more like a 350lb guy on a bungee cord.

Forum veteran
Yeah, well, you have to solve the obesity epidemic somehow. Also, I'm inflexible enough that the strain involved in both is about equal.

Sigh... you and your silly need for confirmation before jumping to conclusions. You sicken me.

Anyone here tried Ghost Recon online? I personally love how it works with blending TPP and FPP, when you walk around and you are in cover and stuff you're in first person. Hip fire is third person, but when you aim down sights you go automatically into third person.
I think this would work well with CP2077.

To clarify, I do not count dialogue as a standard 'cut-scene'. I was refering to other cut-scenes, ones that are usually used to hide loading screens and such. And the reason I refered to 'we' was because I took the majority concensus from the thread on the matter.

Okay. Noted.

I think you need to be aware that CDPR and, I suspect, many of the other people here, don't think of cutscenes primarily as something used to hide a loading screen. I definitely don't think that anyone who has played TW2 on a PC would think of "loading screens" when they think of cutscenes. Cutscenes have other uses (for example, dialogues, story progression, finishers), and loading can be handled in a lot of different ways (for example, totally non-existent, tiny little stutter in the movement, covered by the animation of the door opening, game hints and tips).

Well, the only reason will be that one of the devs. write otherwise.

I wouldn't say 100% unless it came directly from CDPR, but that's just me being cautious, there's no real reason to doubt the authenticity. They did run the session at SIGGRAPH, and I think that if the slides had been altered in any way, someone would have pointed that out by now.

But the important thing is still that this was a quick description of the games, in a single slide, intended just to give a quick background to an audience of graphics artists. It wasn't a formal commitment on what the final game will be like.

It's worth looking at the SIGGRAPH course summary to see more (remember, only the first section is CDPR)
http://s2013.siggraph.org/attendees/courses/events/advances-real-time-rendering-games-part-ii

To clarify, I do not count dialogue as a standard 'cut-scene'. I was refering to other cut-scenes, like ones that are usually used to hide loading screens and such. And the reason I refered to 'we' was because I took the majority concensus from the thread on the matter.
I missed out the word 'like' in my origional comment, I have corrected it now.
Okay. Noted.

I think you need to be aware that CDPR and, I suspect, many of the other people here, don't think of cutscenes primarily as something used to hide a loading screen. I definitely don't think that anyone who has played TW2 on a PC would think of "loading screens" when they think of cutscenes. Cutscenes have other uses (for example, dialogues, story progression, finishers), and loading can be handled in a lot of different ways (for example, totally non-existent, tiny little stutter in the movement, covered by the animation of the door opening, game hints and tips).
I am not saying that Cut-Scenes are bad or anything, but I, personally, would like to see a more 'seemless' method of gameplay with as few cutscenes and other interuptions as possible, (dialogue not withstanding.)

Yeah CDPR uses cut scenes for narrative purposes and to punctuate certain dramatic moments. They are about on par with Bioware on the amount they use, which imo is fine but some people don't like it.

Edit- I like that Ghost Recon gameplay. Very seamless switch between views, better than DX:HR. I wouldn't mind that at all. Since its primarily TP, I could see melee working in that game.

I find CDPR cutscenes less invasive than BW, mostly because Geralt always acts and sounds like Geralt, whereas, ( no fault of BW), in Mass Effect or DAO, my character may act differently than I would. That's all.

I hope 2077 cutscenes are used as glimpses of other people, not for our character, at least not in any but the most simple sense - falling out of an AV4, getting shot, martial arts finishing moves.

UH OH. I SAID FINISHING MOVES.

I find CDPR cutscenes less invasive than BW, mostly because Geralt always acts and sounds like Geralt, whereas, ( no fault of BW), in Mass Effect or DAO, my character may act differently than I would. That's all.

I hope 2077 cutscenes are used as glimpses of other people, not for our character, at least not in any but the most simple sense - falling out of an AV4, getting shot, martial arts finishing moves.

UH OH. I SAID FINISHING MOVES.

Oh, you have really done it now. You've mentioned cutscene finishers when slim's online. If there's a mess, you get to clean it up.

I'm fine with the cutscenes in TW2 which, as everyone has pointed out to Chris, are nothing to do with loading screens :)

The one that I think got it wrong, both in terms of narrative cutscenes and the switch from FPP to TPP on dialogue, was DX:HR. The problem there with cutscenes was the difference in render quality - remember the scene when he meets Windmill? When it switched from dialogue to cutscene, it was like you'd suddenly switched to a totally different game.

And of course the problem in the dialogues was that bloody awful animation, which redefined the term "twitch" in video games.

In DAO, the only problem I had with the cutscenes was that the Warden never opens his/her mouth. Which is, of course, a different topic.

Anyone here tried Ghost Recon online? I personally love how it works with blending TPP and FPP, when you walk around and you are in cover and stuff you're in first person. Hip fire is third person, but when you aim down sights you go automatically into third person.
I think this would work well with CP2077.

<snip>

I haven't played the game, but judging from the video, I would like the controls if I played it. Honestly though, I prefer having the ability to toggle FP/TP myself. I also feel that RPGs are more immersive when they have TPP. But yeah, I definitely liked how the perspective shifted when the dude used his scope.

I ran DXHR at 4720 x 1600 on my PC. Render seemed fine to me! Did you play it on a console or something? Am I mismembering? NOT POSSIBLE. Or maybe 'm used to all cutscenes looking less good than my beautiful super-res on my gorgeous multiple monitors. Have I..mentioned my monitors before? Perhaps once or twice?

I also liked the cutscene finishers in Skyrim...I run mods to make sure I get more of those.

TPP is never, ever more immersive. It's just not possible. That is the inarguable fact. It's..common sense. I'm sure CDPR will wisely recognize this and force you to play in FPP as much as possible. Probably involving some weird Polish oil torture if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom