Cyberpunk 2077 FPS + Steam overlay issues

+
Hello people,
today I started playing Cyberpunk 2077 (steam), but I have two issues with the game and I would really appreciate your help. First of all my steam overlay doesn't work ingame. I tried starting the game including the launcher as administrator. That didn't help. I also changed some compatibility settings according to some guide. That didn't help. Also when I tried to open the steam overlay my game crashed shortly after (Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined).
My second issue is that my game is locked on 30 fps. I tried disabling/enabling Vsync, setting maximum FPS in the game to 60, checked file integrity, changed settings in NVIDIA settings. Nothing worked. In menu or in loading screen my FPS is locked on 60 fps, but after I load into the game it goes down to 30.
I am so sorry for causing troubles and I would really appreciate if anyone would help me. Thank you so much in advance for answer. I also want to apologize for any mistakes in my text.
Thank you so much,
Lukas

Upvote 0
today I started playing Cyberpunk 2077 (steam), but I have two issues with the game and I would really appreciate your help. First of all my steam overlay doesn't work ingame. I tried starting the game including the launcher as administrator. That didn't help. I also changed some compatibility settings according to some guide. That didn't help. Also when I tried to open the steam overlay my game crashed shortly after (Cyberpunk 2077 flatlined).
Not sure, but maybe you should take a look here
Fix: Steam overlay not working
My second issue is that my game is locked on 30 fps. I tried disabling/enabling Vsync, setting maximum FPS in the game to 60, checked file integrity, changed settings in NVIDIA settings. Nothing worked. In menu or in loading screen my FPS is locked on 60 fps, but after I load into the game it goes down to 30.
Seem weird, but if you use Avast, try to turn it off (or uninstall it) just for try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't use Avast so that's not the problem.
Ok, so there are related threads.
  • Windows 10 in-place upgrade: Now, this is the one that changes everything for me. I used Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to download a Windows 10 .iso file and performed an in-place upgrade. This refreshes your Windows 10 installation but keeping all files and applications untouched.
Right after, I boot back into Windows, ran Cyberpunk 2077, and lo' and behold, the issue has completely disappeared. I am getting around 110 fps at 1440p ultra preset, my GPU is 100% utilized, CPU utilization is also higher, at around 40%! Performance now scales properly with different resolutions and presets.
Maybe it could be good to try (Obviously, if no one have a better advice) :)
"Inplace upgrade is a process wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files, usually, it is used to repair corrupted system files, apps, and even incompatible drivers on the system."
How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 10
How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 11

Upvote 0
Yea asus ai suite is a steaming pile of ****. Most of there software is pretty bad tbh, shame they make soo good gpus/motherboards -.- I ran into the same issue once or twice, stopped using Ai suite and it never came back. Shame its kinda needed for fan controll or atleast used too be needed.
Post automatically merged:

Generaly speaking: Cp2077 dont like overlays, it has a big tendancy too crash when you use any programs that use overlays (ive even disabled GOGs) I can run afterburner overlay now and nvidia without it crashing but older patches would have crashed for sure. Not sure about steam overlay since i havent used it ever i think.

Locked Fps too 30 seems kinda odd, what hardware and settings are you using? Also using any settings in controll panel for your GPU?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The links above didn't help me. Still locked. Also I don't have any settings in my control panel for GPU. I reverted them back to original.

My specs are:
CPU: I7-4790
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce 1050 Ti

I know I don't have the best PC, but I should be able to run it. Still I am 30 fps locked. Maybe it is because of my OS?

Upvote 0
Maybe it is because of my OS?
Possible :(
In your case, I suggest to not update the game when the next patch will be released :

Not sure, but your GPU seem to be "under" the requirements (from the benchmarks that I take a look, a GTX 970 seem to be "better". 970 seem to provide better performance/FPS).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My specs are:
CPU: I7-4790
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce 1050 Ti
Had a similar GPU before, and never went over 30 FPS. Now with a 3070, and DLSS enabled, with full graphics, I, (most of the time), go over 30, finally. The game became a lot heavier with 1.5, and is still in need of lots of optimizations, as it stutters in lots of places on the map, which CDPR is fully on, don't worry.

Steam has not 1 but 2 places where you have to enable the Steam Overlay in order for it to work in that particular game.

On the Steam window:
- Select Steam in the upper left corner.
- Select Settings.
- Select In-Game.
- Then check Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game
- Click OK to save the new settings.

For the game in question:
- Right-click the game you want to use the Steam Overlay for.
- Select Properties...
- In General, check Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game

Should work now.
This needs to be done for every game separately you want to use the Steam Overlay for.

P.S: As you may know, Windows 7 is no longer being support by Microsoft, nor CDPR. Not sure about Steam.

The only Steam component I use during gameplay, is the Steam FPS counter. I have discovered that the counter in particular, exerts a heavy performance impact onto any game anytime it's running. I hear tell players saying their FPS dropped from 72, to 40, and even 30 FPS! Reason for me to no longer use it. Could be why by default it's off.

Since the FPS counter is seemingly part of the Steam Overlay, one could imagine that the Steam Overlay itself equally exerts a (heavy) performance impact onto the game that's currently playing. Should ask Steam Support about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom