Cyberpunk 2077 hands down best storyline

+
I just finished the game, and wow! Just blown away. From the amazing story to the first rate voice acting, along with the incredible in game immersion factor...this game made me feel like I've actually been living in Night City for the past week and a bit that I've been playing. Tons of choices, multiple paths to the end. I actually had to THINK about which way I wanted to go in this game multiple times. My first V is a male Streetkid Netrunner. For my second playthrough I'm gonna go with a female Corpo Solo (or in Shadowrun terms, a Street Samurai - specifically a Razorgirl - focused on melee combat implants). I'm excited to see how that will change the story based on the choices I will make from her perspective instead of a Netrunner.
Post automatically merged:

Sad to hear you say that. But then the point of an RPG game is not what the game gives you. It's about YOU playing the role. Create a character in your head, and make choices according to that role. That is why it is called a roleplaying game. In game character mechanics are just that, mechanics. They have very little to do with the role.

The problem is, this game is not an RPG. It has some elements of RPG, but that's about it. Even CDPR stopped advertising it as an RPG.

On the surface is not a bad story, but when you start to dig deeper, it's a mediocre story at best and a bad Cyberpunk story.

98% of the choices you are provided don't do a thing. V is already pr-established and you as player are just along the ride watching the delivery of dialogs and motion capture performances.

I really like the story that is still listed on the Cyberpunk 2077 page ; https://www.cyberpunk.net/au/en/

"Steal the implant that grants eternal life"

"Push yourself to the absolute limit to get your hands on Night City's most valuable implant - a prototype chip that can make you live forever"

"Face corporate leaders, underground hustlers, and the all the most feared people in Night City - those who will do everything in their power to possess the prototype chip."

"Choose how to handle this enormous power and who you wish to become"

Now - don't get me wrong - I loved Cyberpunk 2077 - but THAT description there is much more interesting than what we go which is literally NOBODY caring about the chip in your head that is not doing what that description says it is doing....well....except from a certain point of view...

Above average single player story[...]

Nowhere near Witcher 3. Not even close.
Sums it up pretty good.
But then the point of an RPG game is not what the game gives you. It's about YOU playing the role. Create a character in your head, and make choices according to that role. That is why it is called a roleplaying game.
As a corpo player the amount of things you have to "creat in your head" to make a playthrough a fun and immersive experience that doesn't yank you out every other dialog choice is so high they might as well make schizophrenia a requirement of playing that path.This game is not an RPG,regardless of how you define it.That's why they themselves removed the RPG tag from their twitter and other marketing material.Because they know all too well what they made.
In game character mechanics are just that, mechanics. They have very little to do with the role.
Sl.gif

Uhm....que?First of all,what do you mean by "character mechanics"?"
Also you seem to have a misconception about what a CRPG is. CRPGs where around for quite a long time before "player choice" mechanics started becoming a thing in video games. I would wager to say there are more RPGs out there without player choice mechanics then with them. It may not be what you want a CRPG to be but it is in no way a requirement for the player to be able to make choices or for them to be able to make them and them matter to the outcome of the game for it to be called a RPG.
I don't know what you're on about.Decision making and choices are fundamental parts of an RPG since RPGs were invented.Those early CRPGs you're talking about didn't have fancy graphics and complex combat mechanics.Most of them were text based and had barely any visual representation of what you were doing.The only thing they could offer was choice.

If we fast forward a bit you get to CRPGs like Planescape:Torment,Wasteland,Fallout 1 & 2 and countless others that are defined by their naratives and the player agency within them.All of them were limited by budget,the technology at the time and the challenges of translating a pen-and-paper game into video game format.All of them succeded and are now considered genre defining.

If we take one more step and enter the modern era of RPGs we get to games like Kotor 1&2,Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines,Fallout New Vegas,Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2,Divinity:Original Sin,Dragon Age and Mass Effect.The last two took the idea of choice one step forward and streched it across multiple games with your sex,race,background and even class having an impact on the world and story.

Speaking of which,lets not forget the reason alot of us are on these forums in the first place:The Witcher.CDPR took a pre established world with well defined characters and translated it into a video game series that is jampacked with meaningful cross-game choices all while still remaing true to the source material.

Video game RPGs with choices are not the outlier,they are the norm.That becomes immedietly obvious when you look outside of the RPG space to games like Assassin's Creed and see how they try each year to emulate games like the Witcher more and more (even tho some other RPGs like TES go the other way).

It probably would've been right up there if they, like most things in the game, had more time to spend on it.

As is, i find it not bad, not great but definitely not rubbish, majority of the characters involved in the main quest arc could've been fleshed out more, as they stand, i feel i completed the prologue with them while i rushed to the epilogue. Dont get me wrong whats there with them is pretty well writing and greatly voice acted by all concerned i just cant make my mind up if it was either to large a cast so resources were spread to far or just simply there wasn't enough time giving to the developers to fully realise them.

Either way whats done is done and i expect nothing to change at all regarding characters/story or ending but i'll definitely be looking to the dlc to see whats on offer as bugs aside i still enjoyed my time in game

Well said!

1608569601525.png

This guy was by one of the tarot cards... hes just a civilian, but ive never seen a civilian dressed up like him...
his lines were funny AF!

Sums it up pretty good.

As a corpo player the amount of things you have to "creat in your head" to make a playthrough a fun and immersive experience that doesn't yank you out every other dialog choice is so high they might as well make schizophrenia a requirement of playing that path.This game is not an RPG,regardless of how you define it.That's why they themselves removed the RPG tag from their twitter and other marketing material.Because they know all too well what they made.
View attachment 11104394
Uhm....que?First of all,what do you mean by "character mechanics"?"

I don't know what you're on about.Decision making and choices are fundamental parts of an RPG since RPGs were invented.Those early CRPGs you're talking about didn't have fancy graphics and complex combat mechanics.Most of them were text based and had barely any visual representation of what you were doing.The only thing they could offer was choice.

If we fast forward a bit you get to CRPGs like Planescape:Torment,Wasteland,Fallout 1 & 2 and countless others that are defined by their naratives and the player agency within them.All of them were limited by budget,the technology at the time and the challenges of translating a pen-and-paper game into video game format.All of them succeded and are now considered genre defining.

If we take one more step and enter the modern era of RPGs we get to games like Kotor 1&2,Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines,Fallout New Vegas,Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2,Divinity:Original Sin,Dragon Age and Mass Effect.The last two took the idea of choice one step forward and streched it across multiple games with your sex,race,background and even class having an impact on the world and story.

Speaking of which,lets not forget the reason alot of us are on these forums in the first place:The Witcher.CDPR took a pre established world with well defined characters and translated it into a video game series that is jampacked with meaningful cross-game choices all while still remaing true to the source material.

Video game RPGs with choices are not the outlier,they are the norm.That becomes immedietly obvious when you look outside of the RPG space to games like Assassin's Creed and see how they try each year to emulate games like the Witcher more and more (even tho some other RPGs like TES go the other way).

Character mechanics: The choices you make as you level up your character. Those are just choices about your abilities, not choices about your character's ROLE. It's a subtle, but important difference that the rest of your post actually delineates quite well. You end up arguing my point for me. All I'm saying about roleplaying is having a character idea in your head that is something OTHER than who you are as a person, and then making choices based on that character concept. For instance, I didn't grow up on the streets, but my character in game did, and so I made choices based on that perspective rather than my own, which for me made it more immersive, and made some of the moral choices uncomfortable at times. (Would I take a gun for hire contract? Nope. But my character would see no problem with that).

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what you want to get from a game. If all you see are bad things, then that's all you will get. I chose to ignore the glitches and focus on enjoying the atmosphere and the story. My personal story was very satisfying and enjoyable, with a bittersweet end that could easily be followed up on with a DLC (not that one would come from just the choices I alone made). If you disagree about the story, that's your prerogative. I wouldn't criticize you, or anyone else for that. Some people enjoy certain games, and others don't. Myself, I loved the story, and I've already started a second playthrough with a different character concept. I'm interested to see where this one will lead. :)

Nope, RPG is where I feel that what I roleplay has direct influence over the world. Also I expect having dialogue choices to roleplay that, not only in my head. RPG is about roleplaying, yes. But there is no roleplaying if choies you make don't matter or change outcome in game/quests etc. So far 98% of your choices don't change anything. Not to mention in most cases you don't even have choices. You can't be charismatic leader, soulless mercenary, witty netrunner, neutral professional, pure evil cyber maniac. Not in your head, but in dialogue options.

Gam that does not provide different outcomes to your decisions is not RPG. It's just adventure game with some mechanics borrowed from RPG.

Huh, odd. I found that quite a few of my choices mattered, and that really became apparent near the end game. One set of choices in particular gave me an entirely different way to pursue the end of the game. Another example I can remember was a Streetkid choice that basically let me breeze through an otherwise challenging mission. I don't doubt your experience, as there is no way any game developer can cover every choice gamers will make. I'm pretty sure in my future playthroughs, I'll experience what you have.

The problem is, this game is not an RPG. It has some elements of RPG, but that's about it. Even CDPR stopped advertising it as an RPG.

On the surface is not a bad story, but when you start to dig deeper, it's a mediocre story at best and a bad Cyberpunk story.

98% of the choices you are provided don't do a thing. V is already pr-established and you as player are just along the ride watching the delivery of dialogs and motion capture performances.

I disagree. As I mentioned in another post, a set of choices I made opened up an entirely different way to pursue the end of the story.

Last edited:
I never thought I would be into this the way I am; I was never about the cyberpunk style games but after burning through all three witcher games, The first being insufferable I had to get this game. Despite its flaws I love it.

Last edited:
This is one thing where the game is great. It's half-baked, it's buggy, the AI is dogshit, the driving is also dogshit, but the writing is brilliant.
Put in 130 hours in the game so far, cried and mourned for Jackie twice now, never gets easier, love Judy, love Panam, love Goro, Vik, Misty, even Johnny head-up-his-ass Silverhand! Amazing writing!

Its not an RPG like a lot of people have already said but for what it is, I think its great. Of all the AAA open world style games I think its the best one, far better than TW3 for me.

I don't know what you're on about. Decision making and choices are fundamental parts of an RPG since RPGs were invented. Those early CRPGs you're talking about didn't have fancy graphics and complex combat mechanics. Most of them were text based and had barely any visual representation of what you were doing. The only thing they could offer was choice.

Myself and the person I was responding to where specifically talking about "player dialogue choices" not player choices in general because of course ever game has choices the player makes. They where saying that a game is not a RPG if it doesn't have player dialogue choices that effect the game world and/or out come of the game and this is simply untrue. In hindsight I prolly could have articulated my response to them a little better.

Sad to hear you say that. But then the point of an RPG game is not what the game gives you. It's about YOU playing the role. Create a character in your head, and make choices according to that role. That is why it is called a roleplaying game. In game character mechanics are just that, mechanics. They have very little to do with the role.
Damn I wish I played a game where I could do that. Instead I played a game that has at least one key moment that destroyed any illusion of being an RPG I had, and a conclusion that, instead of feeling like they jived with the character I was playing, offered a handful of moralizing endings that might as well have "Why the hell did you do that? You lose, go back and do the one we want you to get" after the credit roll.

After TW3, 2 and 1 I'm surprised anyone expected a level of RPG mechanics that actually effect the world beyond "heres who shows up at the final show down"

Character mechanics: The choices you make as you level up your character. Those are just choices about your abilities, not choices about your character's ROLE.
I'm genuinely confused and don't undersand what point you're trying to make by this.In all tabletop and most video game RPGs your abilities and stats are an integral part of your characters identity and development.They cement and complement eveything you try to do both from a roleplay point of view and from a mechanics one.If you roleplay a charismatic cleric/healer and you put all your points into strenght/offensive abilities the end result will be a completly disjointed experience in game and out.

If I missinterpreted what you wanted to say please,by all means,clarify.
[...]All I'm saying about roleplaying is having a character idea in your head that is something OTHER than who you are as a person, and then making choices based on that character concept. For instance, I didn't grow up on the streets, but my character in game did, and so I made choices based on that perspective rather than my own, which for me made it more immersive, and made some of the moral choices uncomfortable at times. (Would I take a gun for hire contract? Nope. But my character would see no problem with that).
My experience playing a corpo (as a lifelong fan of Cyberpunk and Shadowrun) was the game actively fighting against my immersion at every turn.The dialog choices (except for some moments in main missions) don't gel with the corpo lifestyle and when you select those options you get whiplash from the change in tone and general attitude.After playing as a Street Kid and a Nomad it seems the corpo part of the story was scrapped in favor of getting the game out (and the other two were folded into eachother).Seeing as you started as a Street Kid I can understand why your experience was so different from mine,the game is practically made for a Street Kid run.
I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what you want to get from a game. If all you see are bad things, then that's all you will get. I chose to ignore the glitches and focus on enjoying the atmosphere and the story.
I don't know how you wanted this part to come off but to me it comes off as highly dismisive.As if we're "(role)playing the game wrong" and our criticisms are invalid.No one is hell bent on making their experience of the game a bad one.It is what it is.

For me personally the atmosphere isn't in question here and neither are the glitches.I've had one major bug and no crashes 100 hours in.Bugwise I've had a better time with Cyberpunk than with The Witcher (1) back in the day.The music is stellar and the atmosphere is as it should be.The problem is that everything else isn't consistent and feels jury-rigged together last minute.The fact that I choose the "wrong" life path doesn't help either.It basically taints my first playthrough of the game forever.Also,having replayed the Witcher series right before playing Cyberpunk I can't help but notice the lack of meaningful choices in the story.Yes,I've done the quests that unlock more options at the end and I've 100%ed the game on my corpo.Can't say I'm all to content but I'm definitely less disapointed with them (the endings I mean) than most.

In any case if your experience has been a good one then more power to you.I hope it contiues be good in the future :)

I am not sure about that. I have seen lots of choices I have made have a impact on the world and the ending I got.
Not sure what happened with your play through.

Yes, you can. Well maybe not the charismatic leader, cause being a leader is not what this game is about, but the others you sure can. My first play through was very much like a neutral-ish professional.

Also you seem to have a misconception about what a CRPG is. CRPGs where around for quite a long time before "player choice" mechanics started becoming a thing in video games. I would wager to say there are more RPGs out there without player choice mechanics then with them. It may not be what you want a CRPG to be but it is in no way a requirement for the player to be able to make choices or for them to be able to make them and them matter to the outcome of the game for it to be called a RPG.
Is that so? Have you looked up the definition of an RPG? I always thought the minimal implementation of an RPG is a game narrative where player character can make decisions which alters it and also character progression

Is that so? Have you looked up the definition of an RPG? I always thought the minimal implementation of an RPG is a game narrative where player character can make decisions which alters it and also character progression

Someone else commented something similar about my response to that person. I'll just quote my response to them for you cause it still applies.

Myself and the person I was responding to where specifically talking about "player dialogue choices" not player choices in general because of course ever game has choices the player makes. They where saying that a game is not a RPG if it doesn't have player dialogue choices that effect the game world and/or out come of the game and this is simply untrue. In hindsight I prolly could have articulated my response to them a little better.

Top Bottom