Cyberpunk 2077 Interview

+
So, uhm, will be able to create our own characters or not? Both this and the braindance thread seem to imply a defined character.

I also hope you can create your own character and that it will bring something more original to the mix than Deus ex meets Blade runner.
I also hope you are not some uber character that is owning everyone like GTA often becomes and that it will convey the scale of a huge metropole correctly.

So, uhm, will be able to create our own characters or not? Both this and the braindance thread seem to imply a defined character.
Doesn't seem like that to me. Your character has a history, but it could be generalized enough to fit anybody. It's kind of similar to how you were a courier in Fallout: New Vegas but you could have any look and specializations you wanted to.

I'm not saying I think there will or will not be character creation, but I don't think anybody besides CD Projekt knows this right now :p

Doesn't seem like that to me. Your character has a history, but it could be generalized enough to fit anybody. It's kind of similar to how you were a courier in Fallout: New Vegas but you could have any look and specializations you wanted to.

I'm not saying I think there will or will not be character creation, but I don't think anybody besides CD Projekt knows this right now :p

I'd prefer this though.
The characters from the character creation looks really individual but it lacks personality, which I don't really like.
A System where you can choose class and appearance but have a fixed fleshed out background etc. is for me at least great.

Both this and the braindance thread seem to imply a defined character.
Braindance is an element of the world - another social phenomena which you'll encounter in 2077.Your character will encounter people addicted to BDs as people addicted to drugs, encounter people experiencing BDs just as they are watching movies nowadays. I don't know where you read it defines your character.

Well, except that in this interview and in the braindance thread they clearly refer to the 'hero' as being a 'he'.
When I saw the trailer I thought, "awesome, perhaps I'll get to experience that lady's story as a player character", especially when I saw her recruited into the police force. Then I read this interview and my spike of enthusiasm plummeted like a lead balloon. I was really hoping to realise a dream of playing a heroine in a cyberpunk styled computer game. Looks like I might just stick to the pen and paper versions and give this a miss.

Braindance is an element of the world - another social phenomena which you'll encounter in 2077.Your character will encounter people addicted to BDs as people addicted to drugs, encounter people experiencing BDs just as they are watching movies nowadays. I don't know where you read it defines your character.
I just mean a quote from that thread, not the whole thing.
The metropolis of Night City is a stage set to tell the tale of one individual, raised on the streets, who tries to lift himself up from the gutter and find a way to survive amongst boostergangs and megacorporations in a city of filth and sin.

An individual is a very wide term :)
I guess my main problem is that both this and the interview only point to a male character. And in the gaming industry, that almost always means a 30-something white (cyber) marine/superman.

I guess my main problem is that both this and the interview only point to a male character.

Where does the braindance thread implies that you'd be playing a male character? I only read "You" and "The Player/Viewer".

Where does the braindance thread implies that you'd be playing a male character? I only read "You" and "The Player/Viewer"
The metropolis of Night City is a stage set to tell the tale of one individual, raised on the streets, who tries to lift himself up from the gutter and find a way to survive amongst boostergangs and megacorporations in a city of filth and sin.

Where does the braindance thread implies that you'd be playing a male character? I only read "You" and "The Player/Viewer".

"The metropolis of Night City is a stage set to tell the tale of one individual, raised on the streets, who tries to lift himself up from the gutter"

Also, in the last answer of the posted interview is this,

"Cyberpunk 2077 will be an awesome game about a hero from the streets, from very dangerous streets. Raised from the gutter, he uses ultra-modern technology to stand against large corporations and others who exploit the underprivileged. The lonely rider takes his chopper, tech and the slaughter begins (laughter). Awesomeness in pure form with an engrossing, non-linear story – like an epic movie."

Edit - ninja'd :)

I don't understand the logic of how "He" "His" "Him" makes it right to think the protagonist is male.

"He" is usually the placeholder for anybody. It's not very often you hear of a hypothetical person called, "she".
Usually we say "he" when we don't know someone's gender as well. For example, it's like when you're talking to a friend about driving and say, "this guy/he cut me off," when really you don't know who the driver in the other car was.

CDProjekt could have used "they" in the singular sense, but then the text would have been confusing.

Top Bottom