Good?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Refund pre order and wait for stadia.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Ist not the same because you can play your games offline and you have actually files installed and for stadia you pay full price just to access them.

Not an essential difference though. The real thing are only DRM-free stores like GOG, itch, etc. Console digital sales are all DRMed. So you don't own them either, except with Stadia it's even more removed from the user's control. I.e. if consoles are DRMed, Stadia is DRM squared. But once DRM is there, it doesn't matter the power of it, it's already a problem.

Not an essential difference though. The real thing are only DRM-free stores like GOG, itch, etc. Console digital sales are all DRMed. So you don't own them either, except with Stadia it's even more removed from the user's control. I.e. if consoles are DRMed, Stadia is DRM squared. But once DRM is there, it doesn't matter the power of it, it's already a problem.
Okay your opinion but there is a big difference.Cloud gaming is drm on steroids

Okay your opinion but there is a big difference.Cloud gaming is drm on steroids

Yeah, I agree that cloud gaming is even worse. My point is, console gaming is already DRMed enough to avoid it for the same reason :)

Still, overall Google is different from MS and Sony in this case, because instead of pushing lock-in, they actually are doing something useful for the industry since they are backing Vulkan.

Let's keep the thread on topic, please. The topic being Cyberpunk 2077 on Stadia -- not Google in general. One post deleted.

Stadia and Google are the same company. So some Google reference is not a bad thing, right?
In the future Google can push in-game ads to the games via in-game billboards. And Cyberpunk 2077 with a huge city filled with Billboards would be an easy option. But then again ads today don't fit this genre, at the moment. But maybe for other games.

Stadia, i'll give it a go, but not the founders edition cause i already own a chromecast ultra. I'll just wait for the March release with only the controller instead.

Stadia and Google are the same company. So some Google reference is not a bad thing, right?
In the future Google can push in-game ads to the games via in-game billboards. And Cyberpunk 2077 with a huge city filled with Billboards would be an easy option. But then again ads today don't fit this genre, at the moment. But maybe for other games.

Stadia, i'll give it a go, but not the founders edition cause i already own a chromecast ultra. I'll just wait for the March release with only the controller instead.

Im with you.. Im sure Google/Stadia sees marketting value in Youtube, probably why they got into this in first place.

There is also the issue of online latency to deal with, and that is an unsolvable problem.

It's been a thing in online games for decades. Having the game video streamed to your client and inputs passed back and forth isn't quite the same concept but information passed between point A (client) and B (server) over the internet isn't anything new. The very same or similar mechanisms used to solve problems associated with online play should still apply. I'd expect growing pains for certain types of games but others aren't as sensitive to delays. You are correct to point it out as a relevant obstacle though.

The idea that we can play video games through "interactable video" of Google is kinda good, hope everything will be fine, so gamers don't have to buy a new super expensive PC to play videos games.
And yes, i'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 too

It's been a thing in online games for decades. Having the game video streamed to your client and inputs passed back and forth isn't quite the same concept but information passed between point A (client) and B (server) over the internet isn't anything new. The very same or similar mechanisms used to solve problems associated with online play should still apply. I'd expect growing pains for certain types of games but others aren't as sensitive to delays. You are correct to point it out as a relevant obstacle though.

Which is why I said it is an unsolvable problem. No matter the tech, one cannot break laws of physics. You can only make games that take it into account, and frankly I am not that interested in such games (apart from turn-based ones)

Maybe I am less tolerant about this stuff than most, since I have some e-sports background from fighting games (Virtua fighter specifically) from about 10-20 years ago. In VF, ping/latency/lag bigger than 16ms (1/60th of a second) had an observable effect on gameplay. Current modern day "standard" ping of 40-60 ms would've been barely tolerable or unplayable. Because of this we used to play on cathode ray TVs for a long time since most flat TVs had too much image-enhancing garbage that caused lag. Online gameplay was a joke back then.

For as long as game happens locally (ie. on my own computer/console) everything is more or less fine. But the concept of stadia is blasphemous to me.

Which is why I said it is an unsolvable problem. No matter the tech, one cannot break laws of physics. You can only make games that take it into account, and frankly I am not that interested in such games (apart from turn-based ones)

Maybe I am less tolerant about this stuff than most, since I have some e-sports background from fighting games (Virtua fighter specifically) from about 10-20 years ago. In VF, ping/latency/lag bigger than 16ms (1/60th of a second) had an observable effect on gameplay. Current modern day "standard" ping of 40-60 ms would've been barely tolerable or unplayable. Because of this we used to play on cathode ray TVs for a long time since most flat TVs had too much image-enhancing garbage that caused lag. Online gameplay was a joke back then.

For as long as game happens locally (ie. on my own computer/console) everything is more or less fine. But the concept of stadia is blasphemous to me.

Their best pitch is that it will have input lag of 166ms. Which even with my old slow 60hz monitors sounds horrible.

There is always a chance for latency problems even if the infrastructure is perfect because of the speed of light thing.The best gaming experience is on a local device with proper hardware of course and that’s forever

I remember playing CS back when it was a Half-life 1 mod in beta phase with 200+ ms ping times. There were all sorts of discrepancies across players for latency. People just sort of dealt with it. Games adopted, expanded and improved mechanisms to account for those discrepancies.

I think the type of latency is as relevant as the actual numbers. By this I mean if you play a competitive online shooter game you have a monitor, device running the game, cable connecting the two, input devices, etc. None of those steps in the path are going to communicate instantly. This is not to say those communications cannot be "fast". Your inputs might be fast but the result of those inputs still needs to register on the server. This would be where those earlier mentioned mechanisms would apply. Lag compensation, netcode, whatever you wish to call it.

The underlying point is/was removing latency or "lag" completely isn't realistic. It never will be. This does not mean there is no way to compensate for it. Where I get concerned is, intuitively, Stadia would push all of that latency onto the inputs and outputs, including the way the video stream plays into them (conversely, the client/server agreement problems would presumably cease to exist, for the most part). I doubt those earlier mentioned compensation mechanisms can be formulated in the same way under those conditions. I'd be curious how they intend to compensate for it, if at all.

Lastly, I wouldn't think people looking for a competitive game experience are going to be blindly jumping on the Stadia bandwagon. Likewise, people focused on games where input lag is a huge deal likely aren't either. If they are they might want to rethink that approach. At least prior to testing out the service to get a read on how it behaves for their specific environment. In cases where neither of these two things are the desired experience, and the connectivity to the data center is excellent, the "it will be too laggy" comments feel premature and over-exaggerated.

Their best pitch is that it will have input lag of 166ms. Which even with my old slow 60hz monitors sounds horrible.

Assuming those are accurate numbers. I'd approach those type of numbers with a high level of skepticism without knowing the exact environment they were tested under. I wouldn't put it past a lot of these "tech sites" to fudge the numbers for reasons (or Google, for that matter). I wouldn't put it past them to make poor assumptions or base results on things they're unaware of as well. Even if those numbers were accurate all it says is they were accurate in that particular environment. The reality is the latency is going to depend on a long list of factors.

Assuming those are accurate numbers. I'd approach those type of numbers with a high level of skepticism without knowing the exact environment they were tested under. I wouldn't put it past a lot of these "tech sites" to fudge the numbers for reasons (or Google, for that matter). I wouldn't put it past them to make poor assumptions or base results on things they're unaware of as well. Even if those numbers were accurate all it says is they were accurate in that particular environment. The reality is the latency is going to depend on a long list of factors.

Mostly i got them from https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-google-stream-gdc-2019 given they do caveat that they don't know what lag the display or the wireless connection are adding.

Any updates about CP2077 using Vulkan in non Stadia versions? I haven't been following this, so sorry if it was already mentioned before.

I very much hope that Cyberpunk 2077 can release a native Linux version. Considering that it is already playable on Google Stadia (based on Linux and Vulkan), there should be no technical barriers.

From what I've read, the Stadia version was outsoruced, so CDPR still don't have Linux developers to do the actual work. With all their latest woes, they probably don't care to hire anyone for that now.

We’re coming to Stadia, the cloud-based gaming platform from Google!

Go behind the scenes of Cyberpunk 2077 – see the new developer video:

Google Stadia version of the game will be released in 2020. Additional details will be made available at a later date.
It really sucks you're showing the gameplay vid of things you all cut out of the game in this post. How about we all get the actual version of the game we were shown and promised before it was butchered for last gen consoles? I think that would be much better. We all know what happened now, so please make it right for your PC community.

Top Bottom