Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
And I think it breaks the immersion and the atmosphere of the cyberpunk itself. It is really interesting since the original Cyberpunk 2020 /or 2013/ was considered dark.

It would be stupid to claim that "cyberpunk" is just about night, absurd, but I am not happy that the day in Cyberpunk 2077 does not look gloomily enough. It looks just like an ordinary post-apo sci-fi. A happy sunny day in a city. And that's is it. Indoor locations look incredible, the night looks promising (even we didnt see much of the nightlife in Night City) but the day... The day thwarts the whole cyberpunk atmosphere at all.

I know that CD Projekt always wants to do things differently, but I do not think they should have made a difference right there. In my opinion, the atmosphere during days in the cyberpunk genre was much better handled for example in Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner 2049, since it did not interfere with the atmosphere of the night in those movies at all.

Conclusion?
- Please CD Projekt, at least consider making days in Cyberpunk 2077 more sinister, darker and with much less direct sunlight.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,156
Personally I find it tefreshing that they try something different from the standard, glum and dark cyberpunk world. It looked chaotic, overcrowded and had the right balance between oppression and anarchy, with the cops obviously not interested in the masses. And why wouldn't someone keep their appartment clean and functional even in a dystopia?

But I'm pretty sure the night in Night City will be more like you describe.

Really? Not all of the NightCity is gloomy, gang infested slums you know. We saw what - 5% of it?
I saw how the day looked like and I dont like it. GTA anyone?
Post automatically merged:

The point is: 2077 isn't Blade Runner or any other kind of cyberpunk, 2077 is 2077.
Actually it is :) It is based on Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2020 was a typical BladeRunnerish cyberpunk :)

Sunshine doesn't particularly bother me as such, but they could adjust their weather system such that it's rarer than cloudy days. That a bright morning like the one in the demo is actually not a commodity, but more like rarer privilege... "Wow, we can see the sun."

And the NPC's idle chatter might also make note of it.

Personally I find it tefreshing that they try something different from the standard, glum and dark cyberpunk world. It looked chaotic, overcrowded and had the right balance between oppression and anarchy, with the cops obviously not interested in the masses. And why wouldn't someone keep their appartment clean and functional even in a dystopia?

But I'm pretty sure the night in Night City will be more like you describe.
I was talking about the atmosphere during the day, but ok :)

humm..

I dunno . I do kinda agree about weather can add or change atmosphere , but some peoples can find that cliché . Oh why everytime there is a fog...you think Jack the ripper ? lol .

But a changing weather could help . Imagine if we have day and night , but also gray days , rainy days ?

That would help I think with what the OP want . Yet , some peoples can find gray weather very depressing ..so if it change , that will satisfy those who don't like it either .

humm..

I dunno . I do kinda agree about weather can add or change atmosphere , but some peoples can find that cliché . Oh why everytime there is a fog...you think Jack the ripper ? lol .

But a changing weather could help . Imagine if we have day and night , but also gray days , rainy days ?

That would help I think with what the OP want . Yet , some peoples can find gray weather very depressing ..so if it change , that will satisfy those who don't like it either .

hmm yes, but it would be great if sunny days werent so frequent, it would be great if sunny days much less frequent than lets say "darker" days and then those "happier" days would feel refreshing ...in my opinion :)

100+ hour only in dark depressing aesthetics? I disagree, i love the look of the demo, the variety depending on location, the lighting, how colors work. I love the whole sequence from 17 to 24:30 minute, how different the game looks moment-to-moment

There is tons of in-door actions with great dark atmosphere, im pretty sure that night will also looks fantastic in city. The lighting improvements from Witcher 3 are huge, especially in-door. And probably day will have different atmosphere depending on the weather, It was sunny day during demo.

hmm yes, but it would be great if sunny days werent so frequent, it would be great if sunny days much more frequent than lets say "darker" days and then those "happier" days would feel refreshing ...in my opinion :)
why do you say 'sunny day' are like 'happier' day ?

I personally don't like sunny day lol Dragon Age Inquisition didn't have a day and night cycle . So I was stuck most of the map with a glaring sun that was blinding and I wasn't happy .

100+ hour only in dark depressing aesthetics? I disagree, i love the look of the demo, the variety depending on location, the lighting, how colors work. I love the whole sequence from 17 to 24:30 minute, how different the game looks moment-to-moment

There is tons of in-door actions with great dark atmosphere, im pretty sure that night will also looks fantastic in city. The lighting improvements from Witcher 3 are huge, especially in-door.

Well i always spent 50+ hours in every Deus Ex games which all were pretty depressing or in the world of Planescape: Torment and those were the greatest times of my gaming life ;)

I have always thought that dark, neon-lit and rainy cyberpunk was kind of.. incomplete would be the correct term.
And i'm glad CDPR agrees. Come on, Night City is in California. Called the Sunny State. For a reason. And the reason is the sun that kind of keeps on shining.

Plus, to me, the sunny bright sky further enhances the dystropia that Night City is. Human misery and violence and rundown apartments and such in the glory of the daylight. To me, the sun adds to the darkness of the game.

There is tons of in-door actions with great dark atmosphere, im pretty sure that night will also looks fantastic in city. The lighting improvements from Witcher 3 are huge, especially in-door. And probably day will have different atmosphere depending on the weather, It was sunny day during demo.
I agree and completely disagree with OP. This isn't blade runner and I really really liked the look of it! They have their own usual CDPR flair to it and imo it looks amazing!

From what we've been told, we are just seeing the Watson district. I fully expect the other districts to have different aesthetics. I am sure one of them will be more derelict.

Honnestly, it reminded me of the shaddy day scenes in Robocop 2, some almost empty and let "as it is" suburban/industrial blocks, grey and dirty with an illusion of life, but still nothing close the the corporate city's downtown.

I know people tend to hate colour filters (like the piss filter in DXHR), but if done right and subtly enough those can well help create some atmosphere (especially if dynamically changing based on certain environmental themes).

Can we please let go of the ah-so stereotypical "only dark and rainy = cyberpunk" argument already?

Miserable and gritty should come from the stories and happenings around you not only from force fed set pieces.
Watch Dredd or any of the above examples. Is it sunny outside? Yes. Is it all happy? No, it is miserable.
Do Ghost in he Shell's sunny city look non-cyberpunk to you? Because for me it is as CP as it can get (and Night City is very much like that).

It is one damn sunny day in a 48 minute video in a game with full day/night cycles and various weather patterns and all cyberpunk aesthetic is gone?

Come on now...

Top Bottom