Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Days are days, the developers are doing this game with a day/night cycle, so sunny days will look sunny. I'm sure there will be weather changes and we'll see darker skies, rain and weather, it was all in the Witcher 3, so I'm sure weather effects will be in Cyberpunk 2077 as well!

Are they doing weather effects in the game? Like overcast/rain? If so, that could add an interesting dynamic. It's in Northern California; I don't see it so dark and gloomy, even in the future, all the time. As a resident of California, it's so hot and sunny most of the time....I wouldn't mind some overcast! haha. But I think adding a day/night cycle and weather effects would make it more "realistic" and immersive. Plus various districts might have different effects caused by something as well.

It's a lot of hypotheticals; we've only seen the one game play demo. Either way, I really enjoyed what I saw.

Are they doing weather effects in the game? Like overcast/rain? If so, that could add an interesting dynamic. It's in Northern California; I don't see it so dark and gloomy, even in the future, all the time. As a resident of California, it's so hot and sunny most of the time....I wouldn't mind some overcast! haha. But I think adding a day/night cycle and weather effects would make it more "realistic" and immersive. Plus various districts might have different effects caused by something as well.

It's a lot of hypotheticals; we've only seen the one game play demo. Either way, I really enjoyed what I saw.

Yes, they have day/night cycle and weather system. It was confirmied some time ago.

One of W3's biggest success stories was how they utilised lighting and tone to extend the narrative and tell a story of where you were, from the cities to the war-zones to the swamps. CPR will most certainly expand on their colour palettes for C2077.

As for choosing the stark day time for the gameplay demo I wouldn't put it past them to have wanted to smash expectations of what a cyberpunk-like traditionally looked like and what everyone was expecting. It's a clear statement that CPR wants to take the genre and setting further to match their ambitions for the game.
Exactly! And as I said in a different thread, I think they perfected the artstyle in this one, more than the W3. It's CP with CDPR twist and daytime looks amazing to me.(Especially the Third person shot of the car and the city in the background!)

I saw how the day looked like and I dont like it. GTA anyone?
Post automatically merged:

Actually it is :) It is based on Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2020 was a typical BladeRunnerish cyberpunk :)
Yeah, ''based'', but ''based'' don't mean it's exactly identical, you know... there are a lot of differences... like the sky, do you remember when Mike said Night City's sky looks "orangey red" during daytime? Yeah, 2077 definitely don't have a ''orangey red'' sky. That's the hole point, this game is unique.

mike.png

Attachments

• cyberpunk2077.jpg
    cyberpunk2077.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 177
I liked the demo sunlight just fine, I think it's good to have some element of "pretty" and nice environments where the elite live and being able to contrast that with the underbelly of the poor, disenfranchised, underground, etc. I actually was kind of hoping V's apartment wasn't as nice as it was (if it is your default or first apartment) because I would have like for V to be able to build up to buy different apartments in certain districts where you can truly see the difference both in your own home and the general areas, types of people walking, etc. I'm not a huge GTA guy at all, but I think on a simple level they show some contrasts pretty well. I assume weather will vary as well so I don't think this will be a big deal at all.

I love the tone. Its whats pulling me in more then anything. I already like the contrast from the mission areas to the city that we have seen.

Though we had a very short glimpse of Night City in night time, I really hope you guys are working on some rain and storm effects. Heavy rain + neon lights + shiny streets and smoking alleyways will make it a real Blade Runner Simulator :love::love:
Now, i wouldn't dare to think that this idea hasn't crossed your mind but please make it happen in the final release <3 Pretty please.Storms and rains should also effect NPCs and their behavior and there should be missions during those times <3

Hey, we'll have daytime, we'll have nighttime, we'll have sunny days, rainy days, gloomy days, etc.. It's a big game, and we only showed a small slice so far.
^ A CDPR employee's response to another thread about the preview being "too happy / colorful" looking.
So there'll be rain, which does indeed look awesome, but personally I don't see the need for weather-specific missions.

Heres a direct quote from the Cyberpunk 2020 player's handbook.

"And it always rains. Every day should be grim, gloomy, and overcast. The sun never shines. There are no singing birds, no laughing children. The ozone layer decayed, the sky is full of hydrocarbons and the ocean full of sludge"

Everyone saying "this is Cyberpunk not Blade Runner!" is showing themselves as fools.

"And it always rains. Every day should be grim, gloomy, and overcast. The sun never shines. There are no singing birds, no laughing children. The ozone layer decayed, the sky is full of hydrocarbons and the ocean full of sludge"

Followed by "Okay, we're exaggerating. But not much."
Not entirely sure whether that refers to the entire paragraph, though.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it being sunny and colourful at times. It's the future, yes, but I don't see why the future (even a dystopian one) shouldn't have varying weather just like present day.

Maybe it was little to sunny but day time look ok, i mean it is day lol i would not like 24/7 night time it would be little weird.

Followed by "Okay, we're exaggerating. But not much."
Not entirely sure whether that refers to the entire paragraph, though.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it being sunny and colourful at times. It's the future, yes, but I don't see why the future (even a dystopian one) shouldn't have varying weather just like present day.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous with clear blue skies in the gameplay demo, if it was even half as bad as 2020 describes it even the sunniest days wouldn't look like that.

You can like it but to pretend it's not a stark contrast to the source material is plainly false.

Last edited:
The weather is absolutely gorgeous with clear blue skies in the gameplay demo, if it was even half as bad as 2020 describes it even the sunniest days wouldn't look like that.

You can like it but to pretend it's not a stark contrast to the source material is plainly false.
The videogame take place in 2077, not 2020. Pondsmith and devs said that the society has changed, and the climate has improved. In the demo you can see the recyclable trash bin on the street or mention to the bio-fuel for vehicles.

People complain about "daytime" and "sunny" Cyberpunk 2077 and invoke Ghost in the Shell as a "how it should look". Which, suprise, was mostly set in a sunny daytime :)

Top Bottom