Cyberpunk 2077 is too easy

+
I just finished a second run and I can say that Cyberpunk 2077 is a Masterpiece (PC). However, it needs significant improvements. Among other things, the game is too easy, even if played at maximum difficulty. A 'survival' mode like the one in Fallout 4 should be implemented with (as a minimum): 1) no teleportation 2) saves only at checkpoints + an exitsave at logout which is canceled at relog. 3) adaptation of low-level enemies to the player's level 4) few medkits and with 'slow' health release. Only in this way could it be possible to get the most of the excellent gameplay.

On very hard, it's tough to begin with. So much of the cyberware and perks require higher attributes, no mods on the clothing or weapons. But yes, as the game progresses, it gets easier to the point of being too easy. There is a lot of content, levelled around 20-35, more than it takes to get to level 35. By the time you get to level 40 there isn't much moderate threat content left, but lots of very low threat content left.

Better AI would be the ideal for a more challenging game, but that might be wishing for too much. Upping the gigs and NCPD hustles levels, for all but Watson, would be a good start. Also, the main quests should scale with the player and never drop below moderate threat.

Maybe an Insane difficulty ala TW2 should be in order :shrug:

Y'know, 1 death and no possibility to reload

I don't think that's the answer.

These ironman modes are rarely difficult if you know the game. They're usually just gimmicky e-peen measuring challenges.

In my opinion the issues with the game's difficulty are as follows:

1. Enemies are generally dumb as a rock and do not adapt to the combat situation at hand at all. As an example, you have tech weapons that can shoot through obstacles but most enemies stay behind cover even while seeing their comrades falling like flies while you pick them off one by one. You use tech weapons, they should rush your position or at least move around a lot - staying behind cover and not moving is the single worse tactic in this situation but it's their only one. You use a sniper rifle from across the street and all they do is hide behind cover peeking out every once in a while. A.K.A - A.I. needs improvement.​
  2. The game demands very little thinking and adaptation from the player. Everything can mowed down by repeatedly shooting or chopping at it. Some bosses provide weak points to be exploited to end the fight faster but all can be brought down by shooting them repeatedly. Smasher was such a disappointment. Oda is the only one I felt offered a varied move set that could catch you off guard but other than that his health pool is so low it's an easy fight anyway. The game should require you to think and adapt to what you are fighting and force you out of "let me whittle you down" as you increase difficulty. Simply increasing enemies health and damage while reducing yours isn't difficulty, it's cheap.
  3. The game's balance is off. Even if my two previous points didn't exist, you get to a point where the mods you have dumped in your legendary equipment or the quick hacks you have turn you into a nearly invulnerable machine of death and suffering. Min-maxing should definitely be rewarded but it definitely shouldn't turn the enemies into jokes.
I'm fine with ironman type challenges, as long as they are toggles in addition to whatever difficulty you chose and if it was available I would eventually end up toggling for a run myself but I don't think it's the answer here.

Did you installed mod, there is some that allow you to reach level 70 with 202 perk. The game even at insane become easy at that level. But it's the story you want, not the difficulty of the AI, which can be beaten any way. If you look for difficulty, I would recommend PVP on the net, there is an awful amount of good player on the net who will give you a real challenge;)

There's a full gameplay rebalance mod available on the Nexus. You can make each part of the game as easy or as difficult as you wish. I think it's very well done.

It is indeed an amazingly built mod, one I've been using since 1.2 and currently can't imagine playing the game without.

Sadly it leaves consoles players in the dust. Furthermore, I would rather see a "fix" or "adjustment" at the developers' level than a mod as far as difficulty is concerned.

For those who cannot set limits, obviously a more difficult mode would be a good idea :)
For others :
- Very hard
- No TP
- No auto-save reloading
- Food healing only (or at best Bounce Back Mk. 1 only)
- No health cyberwares/perks
- Armor limited to 1K (armdillo mods allowed only if it's directly installed on clothes, no craft/buy)
- Do not craft ammo (only looted or bought)
- No iconic weapons

The thing I find amusing is that in Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper rpg game the players can get this powerful and the Game Master has to come up with innovative ways to injure/attack the players rather than "throwing pennies" at the player to damage them.

The "throwing pennies" comment means that the final damage done to the player is 1 point of damage with (if I remember correctly) 16 needed to have the player make the first death save with every 4 points causing another one.

I just finished a second run and I can say that Cyberpunk 2077 is a Masterpiece (PC). However, it needs significant improvements. Among other things, the game is too easy, even if played at maximum difficulty. A 'survival' mode like the one in Fallout 4 should be implemented with (as a minimum): 1) no teleportation 2) saves only at checkpoints + an exitsave at logout which is canceled at relog. 3) adaptation of low-level enemies to the player's level 4) few medkits and with 'slow' health release. Only in this way could it be possible to get the most of the excellent gameplay.
And how much did you look up online? Where to easily find great gear, etc?

It is easy, especially if you want it easy. What I mean is that probably one of a goals developers had was to have it playable by wide range of players - not every fan of RPG is good in first person shooters. So there is a lot of skills/cyberware/weapons which will make you overpowered. Ive find out at some point that I dont need all of that and in my another playthroughs I was limiting myself with some of those stuff so game was more demanding. Is it correct approach? I dont know. Its hard to obtain a balance. For sure I was expecting more from very hard difficulty. Hopefully Ai improvements in a future will make it more demanding.

It is easy, especially if you want it easy. What I mean is that probably one of a goals developers had was to have it playable by wide range of players - not every fan of RPG is good in first person shooters. So there is a lot of skills/cyberware/weapons which will make you overpowered. Ive find out at some point that I dont need all of that and in my another playthroughs I was limiting myself with some of those stuff so game was more demanding. Is it correct approach? I dont know. Its hard to obtain a balance. For sure I was expecting more from very hard difficulty. Hopefully Ai improvements in a future will make it more demanding.
It is the habit of many gamers these days to rush through a game, and seek out every secret tip online they can. In doing so, they ruin the game for themselves and blame the developer.

My take was yours. The world is your oyster and how you play it is up to you. You only get one chance to see it for the first time. Don't bone it.

The last playthroughs I started I always leave Jackie eating and go do the merc work for some levels and I really feel this progression is necessary in the begining of the game. Because following main missions, even without using any action gameplay, V levels up and even without investing in perk points there is a jump.
That's why I wish it wouldn't have to be always in Watson

It is the habit of many gamers these days to rush through a game, and seek out every secret tip online they can. In doing so, they ruin the game for themselves and blame the developer.
What a bore. That should be done only if they're stuck at some part and feel frustrated, but in any other scenario it kills all the pleasure, which is found precisely in the discovery

Why not sandbox it, meaning to set your very own constraints? For example:
  • Only wear clothing, no armor, no mods.
  • Pick one weapon type only, i.e. only melee (so no shooters) or only blunt, for example.
  • No weapons at all! Only use cyberwares.
  • etc. .... (use your imagination :p )
Cheers Euclid

Top Bottom