Cyberpunk 2077 Lorebook Thread

+

1595631147992.png

Yes, it's coming, and soon, so here's a thread for it.

Some ground rules - quotes are fine. Mass scans are a big no-no. If you want to read the thing, buy it! I'll check with my Masters to see if we can post a -few- images here from the book under Fair Use (it is a review thread), but until then, nothing from inside, thanks.

It has few, arguably no spoilers, depending on your definition of spoilers, for the story of the game. IF your definition includes setting details and lore on gangs and corps, AVOID THIS THREAD.

IMG_20200724_123654.jpg

Some highlights so far:

1. It's VERY cool. Go grab a copy!

2. The timeline is here! All the way to 2070s! Very nice to finally have some details. The USA is now the NUSA - New United States of America. Night City is truly independent from not only NUSA control but even Nor Cal. On the other hand, Arasaka is back in a big, big way.

3. The writing is quite good and also often funny. "...for hot merchandise, like a brand-new Gen 4 Temporal Cortex Enhancement prototype, you'll have to sell both of your kidneys - or at least someone's kidneys, provided they're healthy." "If you can't afford to buy a new model, or you haven't kept your old lungs in the fridge, you may have serious problems - you know, with breathing and stuff."

4. Cyberware generations and tech types are spelled out, with examples and art. Gen 0 (simple prosthetics) to Gen 4 (advanced corpo and affluent gear).

5. Cyberware is super common, with Gen 2 being the most common, but mostly people aren't lopping off limbs. Gentler, subtler stuff.

6. The art! So good. Lot of re-used images you've seen online from CDPR promo stuff, but lots of totally fresh stuff.

7. Assisted Combat Personnel Armor is mentioned more than once, so it looks like Powered Armour is still around - and perhaps in-game! Hide.

8. Power weapons are traditional firearms. Bang, done. AR, SMG, MG. Tech Weapons are rail-gun tech using caseless rounds. Smart Weapons link to the user and typically fire seeking rounds as well. Melee weapons are, well, you know. All the above can be customized. Examples include thermal rounds, neurotixin for melee, EMP, scopes, suppressors.

9. RABIDS: Roving Autonomous Bartmoss Interface Drones. Sleeper programs waiting for Rache's death, they infiltrated data fortresses, then send the data randomly across cyberspace. Fortresses collapsed, secrets showed up everywhere.

10. The Blackwall was probably done -with- the assistance of IS (Intellgent Systems - AI) to Netwatch. No humans or artificials are allowed to cross from either side. The Blackwall, which is invisible, often splits old Network systems in half, leaving them available to both sides: haunted Data Fortresses and "possessed" cyberware.

11. Six known tiers of Netrunning gear. 2020 tech of portable cyberdecks is Tier 0...Tier 5 is almost exclusively Netwatch.

12. 200 people per month are killed in Night City in Police-related confrontations, and for every 10 criminals that die, one cop does. This does not count gang violence or Corporate actitivities. In short, Night City is CRAZY violent and dangerous!

13. There is a Billy Idol reference.

Last edited:
Definitely excited to get my copy! My wife pre-ordered it for me for father's day.

4. Cyberware generations and tech types are spelled out, with examples and art. Gen 0 (simple prosthetics) to Gen 4 (advanced corpo and affluent gear).

Can you spell out what the rest of the Gen X means?

As far as I know, my local store wont have this until september. So I dont know when/if I can get this.
EDIT: I was wrong. Availability supposed to be "july 2020" and the shop webpage says this has not been published yet. >_>

Last edited:
Can you spell out what the rest of the Gen X means?

As far as I know, my local store wont have this until september. So I dont know when/if I can get this.
EDIT: I was wrong. Availability supposed to be "july 2020" and the shop webpage says this has not been published yet. >_>

You bet.

Gen 0: Prostheses and things like heart valves. No, not the Harkonnen model.

Gen 1: Reinforced spines and joints for heavy labor workers, built-in filters for pollution. After Second CenAm war, (where according to 2020 Lore, the US started trying out cyberware on their troops) Militech started enhancing their people in a big way with locational gear, built-in range finders and the like, as policy, and (Corp Wars being motivating) the others followed. Gen 1 is metal and plastic, and is, in 2077, found only on those who cannot afford better. Still beats Gen 0 though.

Gen 2: With a reliable antirejection treatment invented, braindance becoming popular and Style being a thing with cyberware, Gen 2 introduced artificial cybermuscles instead of mere pistons and hydraulics. RealSkinn also became available. Cyberware went mainstream. Gen 2 is the most common type of cyberware you will see on the Street in 2077. Try not to buy knock-offs from "Militiatech" or "Ara-sake", though.

Gen 3: Carbon fibre and ceramic polymers instead of heavier metals. Concealed subdermal armors, retractable weapons using said tech. Defensive Realskinn variants. Bioware - nanonsurgeons, skinweave, toxin binders, synaptic upgrades. What the pros use. Expensive and capable.

Gen 4: Top of the line. The most expensive gear, task-specific for Corpos on the high and top-end pros - corporate, government and independent alike.
Also what the wealthy buy, although their demands lean more towards style and fashion than cutting a full conversion borg's head clean off in a single swipe. Bespoke cyberware includes things like teak-inlays and Orbital crystal for this year's fashion season. A lot of bespoke stuff is signed, as well. Some is just invisible. The Scandinavian clinics are still the best of the best in 2077.

Top Bottom