Cyberpunk 2077 Lost 79% of its Players in the First Month

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to original premise, which is people complaining about this triple A title, and in this instance dodge re-map. Let's roll back to Witcher 3, which was like the best game ever, and it's clunky dodge mechanics on keyboard and mouse, could you remap that? Don't know myself, but you can read reddit post about CDPR trolling gamers.

To quote Jackie, CDPR has made the big leagues, when people start nitpicking things like this as to why they don't like a game. An absurd amount of the complaints I have seen on the C77, also appear in Witcher 3. No rubric exist for reviewing games, and in fact is probably more subjective of a pseudo science than being a food critic. Except, now that I think about it, food critics normally have some culinary credentials, so never mind...

At this point i'm not sure if you aren't just trolling. Just in case, at least make sure that CDPR pays you.

i think most people are in my shoes, i beat the game and all the side quests and now I'm waiting for them to fix the game and put back in all the cut content before I play again.

At this point i'm not sure if you aren't just trolling. Just in case, at least make sure that CDPR pays you.

Actually my intent was to make a point, but if data would help support.

Metacritic PC Witcher 3: 93, 9.4
Metacritic PC Cyberpunk 77: 86, 7.2

What I struggle with is that a lot of the complaints for C77, were also in Witcher 3. There are areas where C77 excels above Witcher 3 and other areas where Witcher 3 excels above C77. I actually think people that complain about it being incomprehensible that you can't map all the commands in the game to be trolling personally.

LOL, I guess I am on the CDPR volunteer staff. Either that or just enjoy arguing with people. Not sure yet...

everyone comparing to witcher 3, did any of you even play the witcher 3 at launch? it was terribly buggy too, mostly with physics and AI which is just conveniently where most of the glaring bugs are in CP2077. the game was so bugged and inbalanced that CDPR released a patch that made all my gear require 4 levels higher effectively soft locking my progression after i put in 40+ hours. I didn't play it again and beat it until after blood and wine released over 2 years later. at least CP2077, I was able to make it through the entire game and finish every side quest (even though I got 2 gigs after I had already completed them, stupid bugged Regina) within 2 weeks of launch.

This really shouldn't be a surprise given the early access state of the game; it seems like a roll of the Witcher 1 dice as to how well the game runs for some (playing W1 on the side, lo). Many are going to either wait it out and hope for a No Man's Sky'esq comeback or just move on. That said, I've completed one playthrough (107 hours) and have embarked on another, taking even more time to get to the main story and with as much of the UI turned off as I can get away with. I didn't buy into the hype train nor watch many of the previews, but I also didn't pre-order and waited about 10 days after launch to pick 2077 up. The game works fine and I enjoy it for what it is, but it is disappointing that it seems built to be positioned as a "me too" online looter shooter in many respects; I have no interest in multiplayer. Here's to hoping CDPR pulls a rabbit out of the hat; there's a lot of potential in Night City.

What I struggle with is that a lot of the complaints for C77, were also in Witcher 3. There are areas where C77 excels above Witcher 3 and other areas where Witcher 3 excels above C77. I actually think people that complain about it being incomprehensible that you can't map all the commands in the game to be trolling personally.

LOL, I guess I am on the CDPR volunteer staff. Either that or just enjoy arguing with people. Not sure yet...

Understandable, have a good day. :beer:

everyone comparing to witcher 3, did any of you even play the witcher 3 at launch? it was terribly buggy too, mostly with physics and AI which is just conveniently where most of the glaring bugs are in CP2077. the game was so bugged and inbalanced that CDPR released a patch that made all my gear require 4 levels higher effectively soft locking my progression after i put in 40+ hours. I didn't play it again and beat it until after blood and wine released over 2 years later. at least CP2077, I was able to make it through the entire game and finish every side quest (even though I got 2 gigs after I had already completed them, stupid bugged Regina) within 2 weeks of launch.

They didn't learned :shrug:

If you check the global steam achievements to get an idea of what percent of players bothered to finish what content you will see it is very low. Most beat the main story and just stopped playing.

I mean when people start throwing out the shill word it means they have nothing important to say, and that it's best to just move on and enjoy whatever it is you find entertaining. No shame in that.

The Witcher 3 had only 93 thousand players and became a legend.
Cyberpunk had 1 million players and was the biggest disappointment I have made into video games.
This is what happens when you spend more energy on marketing than on development.
Cyberpunk development costs, meaning not considering marketing, were 3 times more than Witcher 3

I mean when people start throwing out the shill word it means they have nothing important to say, and that it's best to just move on and enjoy whatever it is you find entertaining. No shame in that.

Still better to resort to metacritic, where people had to pop out 10/10 reviews just not to let the game collapse under the negative reviews. ( not even counting the fake journalist reviews ) Open the reviews of CP2077 for pc and see what I mean.

They didn't learned :shrug:

I 100% agree with his sentiment, however, I believe if triple A waterfall development went more incremental there would be a different kind of backlash. And I think I can point to BG3 as an example of that.

And I think it's important to note that he states this is something the entire gaming industry suffers from, and I believe is more pronounced in RPGs. RPGs are generally more complex, difficult to test, and in general will be more buggy. I think standard code metrics will also show things such as higher cyclomatic complexities and other relevant metrics being higher. Raises the cost to test in other words, since the more paths the code can take increases.

Personally, I think MMOs right now have the best software lifecycle, they deliver content incrementally, and fix content quickly. However, they are designed to be played for very long times, and companies invest in CI/CD pipelines to make this happen (my guess anyway). I think single player games need to adopt this model, build incrementally, and give content on a quarterly basis. That said people will always still be pissed off with launch just like with MMOs, and other games like Conan Exiles. Same story new title.

Still better to resort to metacritic, where people had to pop out 10/10 reviews just not to let the game collapse under the negative reviews. ( not even counting the fake journalist reviews ) Open the reviews of CP2077 for pc and see what I mean.

I mean the inverse of this is true as well - see TLOU2.

Cyberpunk development costs, meaning not considering marketing, were 3 times more than Witcher 3
And what is the result?
Has the game gotten longer? No, it has become shorter.
Has the game become non-linear than, at least, The Witcher 2? No, it has become even more linear.
Has it become more stable and polished? No, neither The Witcher 2 nor The Witcher 3 were SO disastrously bad to be removed from the Playstation store.

The game has become more expensive, its budget has grown. But for me, as a player, what did it do? Nothing.
I am probably a very dumb person. I thought if The Witcher 3 was good, then Cyberpunk would be better. If you spent three times more money, then the games should be THREE TIMES BETTER. Instead, she became three times worse.

So wait... a platform that is known for review bombing, in this instance has legitimate bad reviews, instead we have an army of fanboys that are review praising. We're supposed to look through 26596 reviews, for those phony "good" reviews, when in fact that's just 2.6% of day 1 steam players, which will result in even smaller percentage if you include Steam players after day 1 and GOG players.

While this tiny sampling of players led to scores lower than witcher 3, even though they share so many of the systems, and high number of bugs, I can't help but feel that the hype surrounding C77 led to more review bombs then phony praise.

So wait... a platform that is known for review bombing, in this instance has legitimate bad reviews, instead we have an army of fanboys that are review praising. We're supposed to look through 26596 reviews, for those phony "good" reviews, when in fact that's just 2.6% of day 1 steam players, which will result in even smaller percentage if you include Steam players after day 1 and GOG players.

While this tiny sampling of players led to scores lower than witcher 3, even though they share so many of the systems, and high number of bugs, I can't help but feel that the hype surrounding C77 led to more review bombs then phony praise.

You were the one to quote Metacritic in the first place, get a grip.

I mean the inverse of this is true as well - see TLOU2.

Nope, not the same. For TLOU2 people just bitched about Joel's death not the game, it was not broken on so many levels. The review bombing started together with fake news ( can still read as today about people thinking that Abby is a transgender ) but no one complained about the game itself. CP2077 it's a totally different beast.

I'm 120-something hours into my first playthrough and I really struggle with open-world-fatigue. I created two other characters for the remaining life paths and romance options, but I struggle to continue playing the game. CP77 suffers from being too linear/short and from a mindblowingly boring open world - which are most certainly the results of cutting at least half of the content to rush out the game during the holidays and especially at the end of the last console generation to cash in big.

I don't want to bash the game - in fact, I enjoyed playing through the main- and side-quests -, but you cannot not admit that the game is at most in an alpha/early access state. I wonder how people would react if CDPR were to fix all beneficial bugs and glitches. That would probably destroy any semblance of replayability since you can't fast-level and get rich quickly anymore. In its current state, CP77 is somewhat like a 6/10 or 7/10 game. They should've just kept their promise of shipping the game once it's ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom