Cyberpunk 2077 & next-gen consoles compatibility

+
Now I need to decide which console I'm buying and when, according to that I will choose when and "where" I'll play the game (I have a ps4 now, I might have to wait if I'll decide to buy an Xbox next).
My PS4 pro died yesterday for no reason after less than 1 year. Probably the faulty 7.51 firmware from the beloved sony. I guess I'll buy a series X and play the game there. :shrug: Goddamn. :giveup:

My PS4 pro died yesterday for no reason after less than 1 year. Probably the faulty 7.51 firmware from the beloved sony. I guess I'll buy a series X and play the game there. :shrug: Goddamn. :giveup:

Under a year ? Is there no warranty ? That is total BS for you brother :cry: but don`t give up the PS dream (y) by the time the game come out ..... PS5 :shrug:

I'm sorry to hear that. What makes you think the FW is the cause? Is this one of those scenarios where you update then it stops functioning or did it work with the new FW beforehand?

You might be able to try factory resetting it. I think that wipes the drive though. So any game saves and whatnot will go poof (unless they're backed up in the heavens... think PS has a cloud save thingamajig). I'd doubt that would revert the FW either because it's.... firmware. If the console is bricked it's worth a try though.

If you don't get anywhere that way I'd try and get them to replace it. Warranty expired or not. If they pushed a FW update and it bricks devices they should replace them.

Under a year ? Is there no warranty ? That is total BS for you brother :cry: but don`t give up the PS dream (y) by the time the game come out ..... PS5 :shrug:

Surprisingly, consoles tend to have garbage warranty durations. Controllers like to become self-aware (stick drift) shortly after the warranty expires in my experience too. Funny how that works....

Last edited:
yes, there's warranty. I'll ship it to Sony next week and see how long it takes to fix it. But weirdly enough, they haven't asked for any proof I bought the console less than 1 year ago and have no customer service I can speak with in europe. I'll put my receipt in the pack and cross my fingers. Don't they dare to ask me to pay...

The most annoying thing is that it happened during my first day off from work, of course, ad I'm not going to the beach with covid. 2 weeks of hardcore netflix in front of me. :giveup:

I planned to buy a next-gen console soon anyway, but with an half broken PS4 I prefer to accelerate the process and send it to gamestop to get a new one before it's too late. Since I have never had an xbox, gamepass lets me play hundred of games in 2021 with little to no other nice games coming apparently, so it seems the best option to date. Also, it seems SX will run multiplatform games better, which is nice (CP77 I'm looking at you). PS5 will be mine as soon as god of war 2 is on market. :cool: Oh, there's no way 'm buying a PS4 at launch, sony is famous for faulty first batches of consoles. They always have some problem.

I'm sorry to hear that. What makes you think the FW is the cause? Is this one of those scenarios where you update then it stops functioning or did it work with the new FW beforehand?

You might be able to try factory resetting it. I think that wipes the drive though. So any game saves and whatnot will go poof (unless they're backed up in the heavens... think PS has a cloud save thingamajig). I'd doubt that would revert the FW either because it's.... firmware. If the console is bricked it's worth a try though.

If you don't get anywhere that way I'd try and get them to replace it. Warranty expired or not. If they pushed a FW update and it bricks devices they should replace them.

Surprisingly, consoles tend to have garbage warranty durations. Controllers like to become self-aware (stick drift) shortly after the warranty expires in my experience too. Funny how that works....
Internet says FW 7.51 gave the same problem to many people. :shrug: Same for the guy who sold me the console (he had 3 guys coming for the same reason recently). I tried all the possible things, but I can't reinstall the firmware from safe mode (it says it's corrupted even if I downloaded it 3 different times directly from sony's website). I initialized the console again and it worked for some minutes, than it crashed and now it says it can't find the HDD at all, the few times it manages to turn on.

Anyway, very OT, but thanks guys. :)

UPDATE: I managed to speak with the customer service (they give you a phone number AFTER you've gone through the request on the website, so much nonsense) and they see the console is still under warranty from the serial number. My console is traveling to them now. Just giving the info in case someone has my same problem.

Last edited:
Hello everybody :)
My intention is to play the game at launch on Playstation 4. At the beginning of 2021 I should get PS5. I would love to be able to CONTINUE my game on PS5 by buying the expansions. But I have a doubt: will the save files be compatible with the next-gen POST patch game? Or will I have to replay it all?

My intention is to play the game at launch on Playstation 4. At the beginning of 2021 I should get PS5. I would love to be able to CONTINUE my game on PS5 by buying the expansions. But I have a doubt: will the save files be compatible with the next-gen POST patch game? Or will I have to replay it all?
From recent news, it seems like no. Good question. Let's see what they say. I also wonder for tw3 next gen free update, which I'm more interested in (since I have it on ps4)

given the PlayStation 5 will play for all intents and purposes all the ps4 games there is little reason why your ps 4 saves wont work with the ps 5 game after all part of the day one patch will be a compatability upgrade for the ps4 version to run on ps5 while wait for next gen version next year. on top of that its mostly to be graphics improvements not any change in the game itself. given im getting my ps5 around newyears short of a supply shortage coming up i am in same position where im going to hav e slim chance to have to start over. But given the game will take many replays to see everything its not that big a problem

given the PlayStation 5 will play for all intents and purposes all the ps4 games there is little reason why your ps 4 saves wont work with the ps 5 game after all part of the day one patch will be a compatability upgrade for the ps4 version to run on ps5 while wait for next gen version next year.
dirt 5 and the next yakuza won't have save files compatibility between ps4 and ps5. Confirmed.

dirt 5 and the next yakuza won't have save files compatibility between ps4 and ps5. Confirmed.
Indeed. I'm worried. When I buy PS5 it is normal that I will want the game in PS5 version, I am talking about the patch announced in 2021 by the CDP, but if I lose my game with that patch it would be a bad blow XD
But I have read that Borderlands 3, Avengers, Hitman 3, COD Black Ops and others do not have this problem. So it SHOULD depend on the developer. I trust the CDPs but I would like their news about it for safety :)

Indeed. I'm worried. When I buy PS5 it is normal that I will want the game in PS5 version, I am talking about the patch announced in 2021 by the CDP, but if I lose my game with that patch it would be a bad blow XD
But I have read that Borderlands 3, Avengers, Hitman 3, COD Black Ops and others do not have this problem. So it SHOULD depend on the developer. I trust the CDPs but I would like their news about it for safety :)
God I didn't think about it. Now I really need to know this before launch. Worst case scenario I'll buy it on series X but I'm not buying the game twice and I'll be very pissed if I'll lose my save files.

God I didn't think about it. Now I really need to know this before launch. Worst case scenario I'll buy it on series X but I'm not buying the game twice and I'll be very pissed if I'll lose my save files.
My plan was "I buy the game on PS4 because I can't wait any longer (I've been waiting for it for years XD) and then I play the expansions on PS5 (PATCHED VERSION, not backward compatible) but if the PS4 save file is not read by the PS5 version I don't want to redo the game from the beginning and it would be strange to have to continue playing the PS4 version on PS5 to "fix" the problem :)
I know they might give you the ability to do the expansions like with TW3 with a default character, but it wouldn't be the same.
It would be really bad if I have to keep playing the PS4 version to do the expansions with my character. I trust the CDPs, I know they will do everything to make the saves compatible even after the patch, but until they confirm it ... let's hope so!

My plan was "I buy the game on PS4 because I can't wait any longer (I've been waiting for it for years XD) and then I play the expansions on PS5 (PATCHED VERSION, not backward compatible) but if the PS4 save file is not read by the PS5 version I don't want to redo the game from the beginning and it would be strange to have to continue playing the PS4 version on PS5 to "fix" the problem :)
I know they might give you the ability to do the expansions like with TW3 with a default character, but it wouldn't be the same.
It would be really bad if I have to keep playing the PS4 version to do the expansions with my character. I trust the CDPs, I know they will do everything to make the saves compatible even after the patch, but until they confirm it ... let's hope so!
I had the same plan. Actually, I went even further 'cause I upgraded my ps4 to a ps4pro when the game was supposed to be released in april since I feared to play a powerpoint slideshow. And then the dealy came.

Now I have it preordered for ps4 (coming from amazon together with a ps5), but I need them to tell me if I should buy the xbox version instead.

@Lilayah @Dominika we all know you guys won't tell us now about it, but we'll we have all the info (including save files and next-gen features coming in 2021) before launch? Please...

1601574246594.png

All I want to know is of the following;

Can I transfer my ps4 save data to the PS5 as I don't plan on getting the PS5 anytime soon

When exactly is the 'Next gen patch' taking place? 3 months? 6 months? 8 months?

How optimised will this game run on Xb One and PS4 Pro?

Given how buggy CDPR launches have been, I'm inclined to just wait for a couple of months and play it on my PC in the first place, perhaps by then the first expansion pack will be released.

Just waiting to upgrade my gpu with the 20gb Vram 3080 and Zen 3 cpu's

Last edited:
Now I need to decide which console I'm buying and when, according to that I will choose when and "where" I'll play the game (I have a ps4 now, I might have to wait if I'll decide to buy an Xbox next).

Ever since Sony moved their headquarters to California, Sony has been censoring games left and right (either completely banning them from the platform, or adding lens flare to cover up cleavage like in Devil May Cry V lol). So, if I had to choose between Sony and Xbox, I would choose Xbox, because you never know if Sony will pull some censorship BS with CP2077. Plus, Xbox Series X has more powerful hardware anyway.

Ever since Sony moved their headquarters to California, Sony has been censoring games left and right (either completely banning them from the platform, or adding lens flare to cover up cleavage like in Devil May Cry V lol). So, if I had to choose between Sony and Xbox, I would choose Xbox, because you never know if Sony will pull some censorship BS with CP2077. Plus, Xbox Series X has more powerful hardware anyway.
left and right means only DmC V? I don't remember any other case tbh.

I'm more interested in the dualsense features than brute resolution gap between the 2 consoles. BUT I need to know if cp77 will have dualsense features and if it will have save files compatibility between pre- and post- next gen patch. THAT would be annoying if absent.

Oh, I'm buying both consoles anyway.

left and right means only DmC V? I don't remember any other case tbh.

I'm more interested in the dualsense features than brute resolution gap between the 2 consoles. BUT I need to know if cp77 will have dualsense features and if it will have save files compatibility between pre- and post- next gen patch. THAT would be annoying if absent.

Oh, I'm buying both consoles anyway.

Yeah, that would be a nice thing to know. CDPR hasn't addressed this yet to my knowledge.

DMC V was just a single example I gave. There's a lot more. Here's a more complete list:
  • Aokana: Four Rhythms Into The Blue
  • Arch of the Alchemist
  • Blade Arcus Rebellion From Shining
  • Blue Reflection
  • Brave Neptunia
  • Catherine: Full Body
  • Conception Plus
  • Date A Live: Rio Reincarnation
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet
  • Death End re;Quest 2
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Dragon Star Varnir
  • Fairy Tail
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Game Tengoku CrusinMix
  • Haruoto Alice Gram
  • Labyrinth Life
  • LoveR
  • Mary Skelter 2
  • Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
  • Nekopara Vol. 1
  • Nora to Ouju to Noraneko Heart
  • Omega Labyrinth Z
  • Raspberry Cube
  • Saku Saku Love Blooms With The Cherry Blossoms
  • Silverio Trinity
  • Sengoku Hime 7: Sen’un Tsuranuku Guren no Ishi
  • Senran Kagura: 7EVEN
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:newal
  • SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  • Super Seducer
  • Terminator: Resistance
  • Williams Pinball Vol. 2
  • YU-NO
  • Yuragi-Sou No Yuuna-San
  • Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
And that's just PS4 games that have been censored. Games that have historically come out on playstation are no longer being released on that platform. Some developers are now self-censoring on playstation in order to try to avoid a Sony internal censorship policy (separate from ESRB ratings) that doesn't have any defined guidelines.

Anyway, I don't care whether or not you play on PS or Xbox, but I'm just warning you (in case you weren't aware) that it is possible that CP2077 may be censored on PS due to Sony's recent internal censorship policies. All other things being equal, if I had the option between playing an uncensored game versus a censored game, I'm not sure why I'd choose the latter.

Yeah, that would be a nice thing to know. CDPR hasn't addressed this yet to my knowledge.

DMC V was just a single example I gave. There's a lot more. Here's a more complete list:
  • Aokana: Four Rhythms Into The Blue
  • Arch of the Alchemist
  • Blade Arcus Rebellion From Shining
  • Blue Reflection
  • Brave Neptunia
  • Catherine: Full Body
  • Conception Plus
  • Date A Live: Rio Reincarnation
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet
  • Death End re;Quest 2
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Dragon Star Varnir
  • Fairy Tail
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Game Tengoku CrusinMix
  • Haruoto Alice Gram
  • Labyrinth Life
  • LoveR
  • Mary Skelter 2
  • Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
  • Nekopara Vol. 1
  • Nora to Ouju to Noraneko Heart
  • Omega Labyrinth Z
  • Raspberry Cube
  • Saku Saku Love Blooms With The Cherry Blossoms
  • Silverio Trinity
  • Sengoku Hime 7: Sen’un Tsuranuku Guren no Ishi
  • Senran Kagura: 7EVEN
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:newal
  • SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  • Super Seducer
  • Terminator: Resistance
  • Williams Pinball Vol. 2
  • YU-NO
  • Yuragi-Sou No Yuuna-San
  • Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
And that's just PS4 games that have been censored. Games that have historically come out on playstation are no longer being released on that platform. Some developers are now self-censoring on playstation in order to try to avoid a Sony internal censorship policy (separate from ESRB ratings) that doesn't have any defined guidelines.

Anyway, I don't care whether or not you play on PS or Xbox, but I'm just warning you (in case you weren't aware) that it is possible that CP2077 may be censored on PS due to Sony's recent internal censorship policies. All other things being equal, if I had the option between playing an uncensored game versus a censored game, I'm not sure why I'd choose the latter.
Are those games censored on Xbox as well?

Top Bottom