Cyberpunk 2077 — Night City Wire: Episode 2

+
  • Lifepaths: It's a good design choice, sort of a 3-in-1 campaign, although I'm not expecting too much from this feature, I have no interest in the Streed Kid & Nomad choices, who wants to roleplay a pauper?

Isn't that nearly every RPG protagonist? You usually do start with very little wealth, because possessing wealth early would break the game by giving you access to the best equipment available.

Besides the fact that Geralt and most Witchers also live "paycheck-to-paycheck" and don't possess much (the ending of Blood & Wine aside), as was already pointed out, the Corpo background is going to end up just as down-and-out as the Street Kid or Nomad. They fall victim to corporate scheming and get tossed out into the street.

I liked the weapons showcase, when it comes to shotguns, if we're talking somewhere Doom Super Shotgun level of satisfaction and punch then im definitely going to use them mainly, especially that Blunderbuss which i seem to like the more they show

Life path Nomad: Who is the girl driving with V? Later V is sharing a drink with her. Is it... *holds breath* a female Jackie replacement???

It wasn't everything I wanted this episode to be but, I couldn't be more hyped. I was sure I belonged to the streets but, they're really making me think on that Nomad life path. All of them are extremely interesting and fun.

The weapons I loved but not that scope when they zoomed in hopefully they have different dots and so on to customize for that. I pretty much drooled over the Mantis blades, the hack and slash combinations was very satisfying. And those gorilla arms were sweet too.

Glad they showed off more high end vehicles. Since there was no customization for vehicles there was some worry there imo but I'm more confident now that we got a glimpse of at least 8 to 10 of them. Still a bummer nonetheless for me and hopefully when a online mode comes out it can be a added.

As far as the music I love it still so far. I'm assuming they're saving the best for last with customization and other key features.

Overall I think the gameplay is markedly improved, including melee. Or at least the blade melee is much better than the fist fighting we saw. Of course I'm judging from mere seconds of gameplay and at this point I kinda doubt we're going to get an unedited gameplay vid. The ragdoll physics are definitely welcome, as are the destructible environments. And I gotta say, credit to the art team who designed the guns because they look awesome. Each one is distinct and highly detailed, complete with their own cool animations. Given the care with which they designed the swords in Witcher I was expecting nothing less. If I had to niggle, it's that the animations in general still feel kinda stiff, or at least not as fluid as something like Doom or Battlefield. I'm happy with what they said about life paths. It's going to add a lot of replayability. I loved the origin stories in Dragon Age and I'm glad they're doing something similar here.

There was no "Work in Progress" watermark on any of the footage
Even if there were, it would be just a formality. For them to hit the target release date, the gold copy has to be finalized about a month or so from now.

I enjoyed the gameplay. It's shaping up to be a decent shooter. The origin stories look like they're going to make for genuinely varied experiences. Jury is still out on a lot of the other stuff -- maybe we'll see in the coming weeks.

The graphics are also looking really good. I can't wait to see them a year from now, when everything gets an upgrade to match the new systems that will be out. I agree with several other posters about the music, but I almost always turn that off anyway -- the two notable exceptions being GTA and Red Dead. Maybe we'll be able to load our own tunes into the game.

The cars. Ugh, the cars. They look great, really great, but not at all 2077ish.

Overall, the video has me feeling encouraged.

As I said about the previous NCW, not a huge fan of the format but it keeps being a decent enough source of info without going unnecesarily deep for my taste (I want to discover some things by myself). That being said, even though they showed some new stuff here and there I still want more.

Nomad V is definitely going to be my choice for the first run, I keep finding the experience more and more of my liking. The other paths are intriguing too but not as much as the nomad one (I’ll still play them all, mind you). Those scenes of nomads around a campfire and patroling the Badlands at dusk (or dawn?) with the city in the background are, as the whippersnappers say these days, Big Mood :ok:

The weapon design is very cool and creative, just like I expected. The shotguns in particular look awesome. I just hope that not only they’re fun enough to use but also that the AI thinks the same, if you catch my drift. I want to see foes take advantage of their arsenal like V will of their own. Make me s**t my pants at the sight of a goon armed with a smart sniper rifle.

(By the way, I saw a weapon that looks a lot like Fallout’s Laser Rifle. If they were to make that one, or any other, similar in both spread and range to the tri-beam variant then it could have the potential to become one of my favorites.)

For me, Samurai’s music has almost been improving with every song they release. Chippin In is the weakest one so far, Never Fade Away is a notable improvement without really being a repeat-listen material, and The Ballad of Buck Ravers is as OK-and-yet-very-enjoyable as NFA I'd say, but A Like Supreme is by a mile my favorite one of theirs currently, I just love its composition. What I’d like to hear now is some short snippets of what all the radio stations have to offer.

So, yeah, I would’ve prefered a more traditional set of developer diaries but I enjoyed this Wire for what it was.

Last edited:
i like the fact that the weapons look fun to use. the game isn't necessarily trying to make every aspect some overarching challenge with aiming, timing, weakpoints, etc. the game screams, 'point, shoot, dismember.' the game seems to want me to have a grand time blowing shit up and quite frankly yeah, im with that.

personally, i do want gangoons and hideouts to be legit challenging though. i want the ai to be smart and not just run into my range of fire waiting to be blown to bits. but some ppl aren't gonna be interested in that, and that's okay. this might be the first game i genuinely use shotguns. i might play the entire game with a shotgun during a playthrough bc why the fuck not?

Life path Nomad: Who is the girl driving with V? Later V is sharing a drink with her. Is it... *holds breath* a female Jackie replacement???

She seems more like a Character that is part of a questline in the Badlands. She wears a motorcycle outfit (Yaiba) and drives your car, is very skilled with vehicles, so she probably is a Nomad herself. ;)

Even if there were, it would be just a formality. For them to hit the target release date, the gold copy has to be finalized about a month or so from now.
7 weeks from now and 100% we'll still get a day one patch anyway. If not more in the coming months post-launch.
----------------------------

July 11th: NCW 1
August 10th: NCW 2
September 10th-ish: NCW 3?
October 10th-ish: ???

November 12th: reviews
November 19th: release

You too huh? We can be nomads together, weeeee :).

In any case, maybe it's just me but the game looks freaking gorgeous.

It looks like melee combat animations have seen some work too. Although, it looks like they're making the screen shake mildly to indicate movement/power. I suppose this is acceptable. It definitely looked better.... Even the very brief clip of the boxer fight appeared to speed up the NPC... responsiveness. GJ CDPR.

Covering life-paths again doesn't hurt but it didn't seem like new info was provided. One of the curiosities I have there is if you can change your life-path mid playthrough. As in, if you're a street kid and make a lot of decisions geared toward a corpo path if you can shift your "life-path" in that direction. Similar to, I don't know, an alignment concept. Strictly speaking this wouldn't make sense for the way life-paths are advertised. It'd be kind of cool though.

I also wonder if NPC's won't make use of smart weapons too. I'd expect they would if those weapons exist. It'd be neat to have to adapt around that as the player. Instead of gearing up with smart weapons and trivializing combat encounters.

The Devs have said Just because you can start as a Blah Blah don`t mean you`re locked into that path . So you can start on any Life Path and end up siding with a different group .

She seems more like a Character that is part of a questline in the Badlands. She wears a motorcycle outfit (Yaiba) and drives your car, is very skilled with vehicles, so she probably is a Nomad herself. ;)

Chances are she is an important part of Nomad V's past (and thus the prologue) as Nomads have that "one big family" thing going on. Makes sense for the Nomad to have more close friends than other origins. Maybe she is V's first crush or something. I didn't miss that "first kiss in middle of a synth cornfield" bit of monologue.

Guest 4211861

Wasn't Geralt poor like all Witchers ?
True, but there was no choice of background in those games.

Times are tough, I don't want to be struggling in games too.

And yes, corpo V gets wiped, but he does not have the mentality of poverty.

The Devs have said Just because you can start as a Blah Blah don`t mean you`re locked into that path . So you can start on any Life Path and end up siding with a different group .

Hmm, have they ever explicitly said you could switch your life-path in the middle of the playthrough? I do recall them saying you aren't locked into choices for your life-path but this wouldn't be quite the same thing.

What I meant was think of the Corpo life-path as chaotic evil and the Nomad as chaotic good. So you start the game as a Nomad, or chaotic good, but can end up switching to chaotic evil through your choices, or end up as a Corpo. As a result you would begin getting Corpo related interactions and dialog options after making the switch. A Nomad siding with Corps but keeping their Nomad flavor wouldn't be the same. If that makes sense.

What I meant was think of the Corpo life-path as chaotic evil and the Nomad as chaotic good. So you start the game as a Nomad, or chaotic good, but can end up switching to chaotic evil through your choices, or end up as a Corpo. As a result you would begin getting Corpo related interactions and dialog options after making the switch. A Nomad siding with Corps but keeping their Nomad flavor wouldn't be the same. If that makes sense.

I continue to be indecisive about the origin I choose.

I worry that the dialog will be restrictive, basically imposing a pre-determined personality on V, rather than letting me act and talk in a way of my choosing. In case this turns out to be true, I am more drawn to the Corpo background than I thought I would be, because it appears as the "evil" background of sorts. Corpo V is more likely to have the ruthless, cold demeanor I would go for. I hope I am wrong.

I thought I would choose the street kid so as to have the least amount of strings attached, and potential for the "from rags to riches" kind of story.

Hmm, have they ever explicitly said you could switch your life-path in the middle of the playthrough? I do recall them saying you aren't locked into choices for your life-path but this wouldn't be quite the same thing.

Yes you make perfect sense (y) I didn`t explain myself well . You can`t change Life Path but you can change allegiance to a different LP but as you posted i don`t think all of a sudden you will get Corpo stuff to say when you started out as a Nomad .

Top Bottom