Cyberpunk 2077 — Night City Wire: Episode 4

+
Why would it be a game breaking mechanic, as long as it have real consequences?
I mean, there is probably a reason why not every mercenary steal cars for a living instead of being bullet-magnets.
Post automatically merged:

I had already seen that, but "keeping it" and "selling it" wasn't the same for me.

It looks so such like merchants stuff only being able to be buyed but not stolen for no reason.
Post automatically merged:

I laughed when I read "pacifist playthrough", considering the universe of C2020. Don't you meant: No kill playthrough?

And, yes, just as much as having the possibility to use the iconic "facedown" which isn't there.

Because of the eddies you earn, lol. There are un-limited cars. Why do you want to sell them so bad anyway?

Because of the eddies you earn, lol. There are un-limited cars. Why do you want to sell them so bad anyway?

For the money, as it's 99% of the time the only reason to steal a car, others being like the example given earlier by theg4dfly

If there is a reason why car aren't stolen constantly in Night City, then let V face it.
Don't just made car easely steal-able then make then un-sell-able because you made it easy in the first place, that's just flawed circular logic.:think:

Don't just made car easely steal-able then make then un-sell-able because you made it easy in the first place, that's just flawed circular logic.:think:

Or maybe they simply felt allowing players to have quick and easy access to a variety of cars (for the purposes of completing quests or for the enjoyment of seeing how different cars handle) took precedence over being able to sell them? That it added much more to the game than implementing selling cars and then having to deal with the economic balance.

Being able to sell cars would definitely be tricky to balance in terms of money, as @superpunked2077 mentioned. I suspect that if they allowed you to sell cars but made the financial gain minimal, then some people would complain about that too.

Look, say you'd like things to be done differently by all means but, imho, you don't need to start throwing around accusations of faulty logic.

Unfortunately, this simply seems to be yet another decision that you're unhappy with. Sorry to hear that Kakky, as always :(

I suspect that if they allowed you to sell cars but made the financial gain minimal, then some people would complain about that too.

Of course.
The thing stays the same: make it feel real.
I actually did say the exact same thing about selling weapons of poeple you kill a long time ago.

Besides, economic balance is a problem only if it's easy to steal high value cars.

Look, say you'd like things to be done differently by all means but, imho, you don't need to start throwing around accusations of faulty logic.
Unfortunately, this simply seems to be yet another decision that you're unhappy with. Sorry to hear that Kakky, as always :(

Just wondering something (as I never played it): Can you sell car in GTA V?
Cause if not, I'll definitely think it might be related (and if it is different then it would be a bit reassuring news for a change).

Just wondering something (as I never played it): Can you sell car in GTA V?
Cause if not, I'll definitely think it might be related (and if it is different then it would be a bit reassuring news for a change).

I can't remember selling cars in GTA V (I think you can in the online mode) but in GTA IV you could go to the internet cafe and Brucie (iirc) would sometimes have sent an email telling you to steal a specific model of car - it might have actually been a unique car, as I seem to remember you had to look around an area of the city for the exact model and colour in a certain street. I think you'd get a few thousand dollars but it was a long time ago.

I'm sure someone else might remember those things more clearly.

Last edited:
For the money, as it's 99% of the time the only reason to steal a car, others being like the example given earlier by theg4dfly

If there is a reason why car aren't stolen constantly in Night City, then let V face it.

Unless... the reason you can steal them isnt to sell them..? And to the "easy" part, you do either have to have a strength requirement or hacking requirment. Your last sentance doesnt make any sense.

"If there is a reason why car aren't stolen constantly in Night City,"

They are constantly stolen

and like you say you want to steal them "for the money" and thats the point, why you cant sell them. Because it would break the in game "player economy" You would just be able to steal indefinite cars and just keep selling them for unlimited eddies.

and like you say you want to steal them "for the money" and thats the point, why you cant sell them. Because it would break the in game "player economy" You would just be able to steal indefinite cars and just keep selling them for unlimited eddies.

Why have a different economy for players and for the rest of the world. It makes no sense.

Why have a different economy for players and for the rest of the world. It makes no sense.

What I meant by that, is that the devs design the game around you beign able to amass a certain amount of eddies at any point during the story line, so they can balance what you have access to. At any point in time they can say "well, at this point the (max money) the player can have is (amount) and balance how much things cost and what you can get around it.

this is pretty much standard game design.

What I meant by that, is that the devs design the game around you beign able to amass a certain amount of eddies at any point during the story line, so they can balance what you have access to. At any point in time they can say "well, at this point the (max money) the player can have is (amount) and balance how much things cost and what you can get around it.

this is pretty much standard game design.

Well, it's just one consequence rippling from not assuming what you allow to create: instead of everything being auto-regulated by pure logic, you have to create illogic rules to counteract the illogic consequences of illogic abilities.

For that peculiar situation:
-Normally: Car theft is potentially dangerous, reason why not every one choose to do it.
-In C2077: Car theft is quite easy and not dangerous => V may abuse it to make money => make V unable to sell them.

I can actually guess the same things about weapons:
-Normally: Killing people to get an unlimited amount of weapon would be a bad idea because it would also be the best way to end up killed.
-In C2077: Killing criminals (so no police involved) to get an unlimited amount of weapon is quite easy => V may abuse it to make money => I prophesy that either weapons will only be able to be sold for dirt cheap, either will not be able to be picked up from corpse, or either is you go from bodies to car to bodies to stock up on them weapons will have disappeared when you get back to the bodies.

Last edited:
About the cars: It's a good thing that, if you want, V will be able to steal them to use, but not to sell or keep.

First because it would break the economic system, by giving you a way to make easy money.

Second: because there will be a lot of different vehicles to try before deciding to buy.

Third: if the game gives you a lot of free stuff, there is no reason to collect resources.

There is one more thing about "making the cars easy to steal": We don't know if that's true. The game is not realeased, but I really expect that the police will be smarter than in the other games with this mechanic, something similar to RDR 2 (People call the cops, they will chase you for a while, then, as time pass, your "bounty" slowly decreases).

And about crimes having "real consequences". It's very hard to implement a "real life" consequence in game.
a) If it's death, then it's "game over - reload" cycle.
b) If it's prison, depending on how long the player is kept in jail, it's either "reload" option, or "escape" option. Both can become very boring to repeat, so that's why the police system have to be harsh, but not that harsh.
c) If it's a fine that the player have to pay. If he get caught, he will probably pay or reload the game. And depending on the value, the steal mechanic can become obsolete.
d) The only cool thing that I could think of was making the jail as a way to have more side quests, but only for the first or second time (it could have a mission or two in jail, did you do that CDPR developers? Thinking about it now, it would be cool), after that it would be hard to maintain the same interest (the game is Cyberpunk 2077, not Thug'n'punk 2077)

So, making the cars possible to steal but not to sell, is because the developers want the player to try other cars and move fast in the map (not forcing the player to walk), but not turn it in an exploit mechanic, or unrealistic ("Stolen car? cool, I pay 1% of it's price, so you don't exploit that"), that's why, IMO, it's a good decision.

Last edited:
instead of everything being auto-regulated by pure logic, you have to create illogic rules to counteract the illogic consequences of illogic abilities.

And it's entirely logical to do just that since the primary concern of a game is to be enjoyable. Unless perhaps it's a simulator and realism at all times is vital?

Look, I get what you're saying but you don't usually 'auto-regulate' a game's mechanics based on 'pure logic', as far as I know. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of game design? Sounds sterile to me. Most of the design decisions would be made for you.

You simply can't ignore the fact that CP is a game with its own rules based on balancing - it's not an attempt to create a 'second life'. You might have liked that (maybe I would have too!) but that's not what it is. Games are a creative work and 'pure logic' isn't usually the primary concern. Fun is. Decisions are based on the type of game being made and the experience the devs are trying to create. Some design choices go your way, others don't. 'Pure logic' waits somewhere down the queue.

The ability to steal a car easily without too many repercussions isn't illogical within the context of a game trying to be fun. I mean, it is logical for devs to prioritise making the game fun, right? Will it be fun for you? Maybe not but then games can't be everything to everyone.

Once again, with respect, I think all that's happening here is that you (seemingly) want a different game. Feel free to say that all day long, it's fine by me, but claiming the game is 'illogical' when the only reason you wish they followed your 'logic' is because it'd make a game closer to your personal tastes is unfair, imho.

You're saying things should be a certain way because of 'logic' but really you're like all us gamers; you're prioritising your own enjoyment and, in this case, 'logic' just happens to coincide with your definition of 'fun'. I've seen this justification used so many times for so many games.

Last edited:
I laughed when I read "pacifist playthrough", considering the universe of C2020. Don't you meant: No kill playthrough?

And, yes, just as much as having the possibility to use the iconic "facedown" which isn't there.

Well, in mostly every single game I've played, killing NPC's are the only option. In Fallout 4 you could talk your way without killing using speech-checks (Skinny Malone during Unlikely Valentine-quest) in some parts of the game. I wish more games would get the fact gamers wants options to play the game their way. And stealthing through Night City seems a good option when you're tired of 'wham bam slam them'. I can't wait to try this out and see if CD Projekt Red took a leaf from IOI's Hitman-series.

Well, in mostly every single game I've played, killing NPC's are the only option. In Fallout 4 you could talk your way without killing using speech-checks (Skinny Malone during Unlikely Valentine-quest) in some parts of the game. I wish more games would get the fact gamers wants options to play the game their way. And stealthing through Night City seems a good option when you're tired of 'wham bam slam them'. I can't wait to try this out and see if CD Projekt Red took a leaf from IOI's Hitman-series.

What I meant is Cyberpunk 2020 is full of people who will shoot at you without letting you open your mouth first. And that even if most of the time you should be able to stealth them, sooner or later your will find a situation were even if you don't kill people you will have to rely on violence, hence the inability to make a pacifist playthrough (even if a "no-kill" one is possible).

Top Bottom