Cyberpunk 2077 on Game Pass at launch would devalue the game

+
So there are rumors that the game will be made available at launch on gamepass for both console and pc, and im not sure this is a wise move. I was personally looking forward to CP77 breaking sales records and now with the game being practically free since you can get gamepass for a dollar most people will opt with getting gamepass if they don't already have it. I don't like this movie and I already have gamepass and xbx. I guess the logic is that it will turn into GTA 5 with sales going up the wazoo regardless of it being free im not sure how the economics of it would work, if the game is free nobody is going to buy it. I know MS throw a shit ton a money at cdpr for this but still i just hope this will not happen.

So there are rumors that the game will be made available at launch on gamepass for both console and pc, and im not sure this is a wise move. I was personally looking forward to CP77 breaking sales records and now with the game being practically free since you can get gamepass for a dollar most people will opt with getting gamepass if they don't already have it. I don't like this movie and I already have gamepass and xbx. I guess the logic is that it will turn into GTA 5 with sales going up the wazoo regardless of it being free im not sure how the economics of it would work, if the game is free nobody is going to buy it. I know MS throw a shit ton a money at cdpr for this but still i just hope this will not happen.

...is there a point to this? you don't think the sales will be as high as you think they should be? so what?

dude, CDPR has a no questions asked return policy for the games you buy on GOG. they're already at risk of "giving it away for free". They're trusting us that we'll pay for it, whether that be on GOG, Steam, Epic, PSN, or through gamepass or whatever other service. i think they'll be fine regardless.

That "rumour" is literally some random reporter speculating with zero basis for his speculations. If I had to guess I'd say he's using this particular game as an example precisely because how large a following it has.

You're making a mountain out of what isn't even a molehill.

I think that game sales don't matter as much as they used to, active player counts are more noted for how popular a game is.

Systems like game pass allow more people to play the Cyberpunk, not just us die-hard fans. if it did come out on day one on game-pass I would not mind as much. would still look for a refund on GOG though :p

That "rumour" is literally some random reporter speculating with zero basis for his speculations. If I had to guess I'd say he's using this particular game as an example precisely because how large a following it has.

You're making a mountain out of what isn't even a molehill.

its a rumor that has been quite persistent though its not the first time this has been discussed, with CDPR wanting to bank on its MP for sales it would make sense for them to agree to something like this.

Sigh. wccftech is just quoting Venturebeat. Venturebeat's writer Jeff Grubb decided that 2077 would be a good candidate for GamePass.

Grubb writes,

"But this is where Microsoft’s third-party strategy could come into play. Expect Microsoft to try to make a big splash by announcing an anticipated third-party game hitting Game Pass soon after release. Cyberpunk 2077 seems like a prime candidate. "

That's it. That's all there is. It's not even a rumour. Literally one guy guessing that 2077 would be nice on Game Pass. This rumour isn't persistent at all - it's wishful thinking by people that don't want to buy it. This will always crop up.

You're helping -make- it a rumour by posting and talking about it though. In that sense, if you don't want it on Game Pass, you're working against yourself. Solid.

Guest 3573786

Sounds fishy, but it's not impossible. All MS needs to do is fork over more cash than CDPR would lose with the lost sales. That said, it's not platform exclusive or anything, so whatever works for cdpr...

Sounds fishy, but it's not impossible. All MS needs to do is fork over more cash than CDPR would lose with the lost sales. That said, it's not platform exclusive or anything, so whatever works for cdpr...

it would essentially be free on xbox and pc, only playstation bro's would need to pay, its almost as if xbox is a better proposition for them....

Guest 3573786

it would essentially be free on xbox and pc, only playstation bro's would need to pay, its almost as if xbox is a better proposition for them....
In a sense, I guess, though many people - myself included - arent interested in the renting games model (and there's also win7 users)

Keive

Forum regular
Hmm, interesting. I don't really see it happening, maybe later on in time but not so soon at all, unless the game doesn't actually do so hot either by sales/reviews/etc.

Hmm, interesting. I don't really see it happening, maybe later on in time but not so soon at all, unless the game doesn't actually do so hot either by sales/reviews/etc.

this game will break sales records, im thinking something close to gta5.

I'll just buy 2077 because I want CDPR to have all the money for their years of hard work. I imagine they would have to pay -alot- like an insane amount for it to be in game pass on launch. Considering how well anticipated the game is it makes more sense to me to do game pass a few months after release not at the release. I dont personally recall any game being in game pass when it launched seems like a poor business deal.

Top Bottom