Cyberpunk 2077 — Our Commitment to Quality

+
Anyway, I really don't see where/why there would be a reason for debate or even discuss.
When in a trailer, it was indicated "work in progress" or "Does not represent the final state of the game", to me there is nothing surprising (or even shocking) that the final state of the game does not represents what was shown in the trailer... (it could even be completely different, no problem at all).
It seems obvious, at least, for me again :)

So to sum up your post it was simply bad direction. A WIP is a WIP whether hundreds of people are involved or not, you show the direction, what can be achieved, hundreds of people being involved doesn't change that core aspect period, whether sculpting, programming or building a rocket.
No. It was a work in progress being shared with an eager player-base that was chomping at the bit for information. It was CDPR finally, after years of near-radio silence, giving in and sharing what they were working on at the time.

If people don't understand what goes into building a creative piece like this, because they've likely never been involved in anything like this, or nothing close to this size and scale, they may very well not understand the difference between what is planned and what is actually going to make it into the game. They may not have any understanding of how building certain features into a game, while possible and cool, creates severe balance issues, or is likely to add confusion, or simply grows stale and boring too quickly.

Hence, those things will be cut. Same as when movie scenes released in a trailer are cut or otherwise re-shot for a movie. This is part of the creative process. Sharing a WiP is not the same as signing a contract or making promises. Arguments against this have no ground to stand on.

Letting journalist run wild with exaggeration of features has also been a long time tactic of developers/publishers to help hype and sell their games and then claim plausible deniability
Absolutely, 100%, unequivocally not. A studio has absolutely no say over what 3rd-party sources say or don't say about anything. If someone is going to start publishing inaccurate information, misrepresentions, speculations, or outright fake news, it is that media outlet's editors that are responsible for ensuring that their writers are practicing responsible journalism. It would be bang out-of-order for a studio to call up a publisher and say, "You can't print that!" Not how the world works.

It's also totally not worth the time, resources, or effort it would take to keep track of all the rubbish and nonsense people might pull out of their bums to post online. People would just insist that their imaginings are fact even more.

Dealing with this is the responsibility of every adult consumer. It is our responsibility to be aware of the difference between fact, evidence, and speculation. It is our responsibility to be able to tell the difference between correlation and causation. It is our responsibility to be able to tell the difference between an official source and an unofficial source. It is our responsibility to tell the difference between a plan and a promise.

When push comes to shove, no one is going to fool the courts. They're legal professionals. They will continue applying exactly the same mentality that has been applied for centuries. For example, if someone wants to claim "plausible deniability" they will need (like any sort of "charge") to be able to claim damages. "I don't like this video game!" is not damages. If someone doesn't like a product, they can return it. If they decide to keep it past the return date, or buy it from a vendor that doesn't offer refunds...well...hopefully they're now better educated consumers. Legality isn't interested it hurt feelings.

Admittedly I didn't follow the hype for cp2077, didn't watch any of the dev streams, etc. It wasn't until the complaints that I started looking back. Even disregarding the topic at hand on what was cut and what wasn't lack of certain basic features in this type of game show that maybe it was too ambitious for cdpr as the development appears to have been all over the place even more lack of visual customization in a game centered on the cyberpunk universe shows also maybe they didn't have a clear understanding of the content. CDPR was put on a pedestal for a reason. There were always going to be people upset no matter how the game turned out.
Smart! I didn't either. And maybe that's why I'm really shocked at how many people seemed to be so wildly off-base with their expectations for what would be in the game or how it would work. I'm not talking about things that were clunky or disappointing (bugs, mechanics like the police appearing out of thin air, wonky vehicle controls, etc.). I'm talking about people that expected the game to be like GTA or something. When has CDPR ever made games that were not heavily focused on a narrative? When did any of the earlier games let the player run around murdering people at random on the street?

And I agree with your statement that people were going to be upset no matter how it worked! Absolutely! Has nothing to do with what was or was not included in the game. Had everything to do with TW3 being the legendary achievement that it was. Lots of players expected the moon with CP2077. Instead, they got a pretty cool game that didn't have the same widespread appeal. That's showbiz. Any studio that's had a big hit can show the same.

What else? I've seen the reddit lists and I laugh. Most of that is stuff one dev said in an interview once, while talking about what the current state was or what they hoped for. Or what players decided was in the game, such as riding the metro. Hardly show-then-take-away.
I watched some of rage videos and read some stuff and we had our share on here too. The worst thing about that is that there were things that were counter productive, like Monowire, which original usage scenario was very limited and what we end up getting is way better for end users. It's rather odd to point of surreal to see demands for better experience and demand worse features than what we got at the same time.

Something that could be attributed to expecting GTA like experience in retro-futuristic setting are flying cars. What I have seen, CDPR made it clear that they wouldn't be available for players, then yet people kept saying that they were promised for some reason I can't find rational base for.

I don't believe relations between producers and customers are normal, take any company and my personal experience with CDP products was that the Witcher was surprisingly good fantasy game that didn't take a life time to finish and then Witcher 2 was something I played 3-5 hours. It's also last fantasy game I played, but it made me realize post-modern bubble in gaming. So based my track record with company, they could make sequel for CP 2077 soulless corridor shooter with dramatic, yet unintellectual plot, have all sort of Sim-games like features and micro-transactions and justify all that with player feedback. I have no expectations for sequel based on that, CDRP can throw away everything that made this game a classic (because that's what it's going to be) and go EA.

But it's funny though, all this talk about company reputation and that and then make everything possible to coarse CDPR to take the path of least resistance, not taking risks, not creating actually mature things that concern the world and human condition, about things that are really all there is for mankind. The Gaming Dead and that might be eating what there's to games as form of expression, but if gearing production for that audience is where the money is, then it is.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Something that could be attributed to expecting GTA like experience in retro-futuristic setting are flying cars. What I have seen, CDPR made it clear that they wouldn't be available for players, then yet people kept saying that they were promised for some reason I can't find rational base for.
That's true:

GC: Was it implied you’d be able to drive flying cars as well?

MP:
You won’t be able to control flying cars but they will be used for missions for crucial things. But the main way to get through will be on foot, cars, and bikes.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/20/cybe...-of-this-as-you-did-with-the-witcher-7646316/

There was nothing vague about this, no words with double meaning. Same story as with joining gangs, another so-called "cut feature" or "broken promise".

That's true:

GC: Was it implied you’d be able to drive flying cars as well?

MP:
You won’t be able to control flying cars but they will be used for missions for crucial things. But the main way to get through will be on foot, cars, and bikes.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/20/cybe...-of-this-as-you-did-with-the-witcher-7646316/

There was nothing vague about this, no words with double meaning. Same story as with joining gangs, another so-called "cut feature" or "broken promise".
Yeah, we had couple of topics going through all that in couple of threads few months ago, not going to do that again. It went to complaining about living city and population density. I went to check videos from game used for comparison and it had population density for 8 NPC's per 50 m square and that was being more than generous as I was counting horses as NPC's. What a waste of time.

I don't care about the DLCs, just tell us when we can get proper modding tools on PC to add assets to the game.

I didn't touch the game now, for several months and after there is no real progress, I can't see me touching it in the near future or ever again.

There are just so many better games out there, unfortunately and I will cut my double losses (XBox One X + PC) and move on.

I think this rubbish line about older consoles not being able to run CP77 because of the hardware is crap tbh, now that I've see what a game like RE8 can do on the machine.

So... you updated your Road map to say there's no longer going to be an update and weren't going to publicly announce you did so? That's pretty shady

When this is an updated roadmap, why do you keep the original Jan2021 comments on first page? Isn't it much more relevant to keep the up-to-date feedback and discussions in the forefront? I'm getting increasingly suspicious that this is intentionally done to avoid a seeming backlash from the utter lack of commitment to your community. There is no communication from CDPR, everything is constantly pushed back, the so called "roadmap" is more vague than my elementary school attempt at making a single page paper span 5 pages worth of word count. It's bloated with "maybe"s and "potentially"s. No actual commitment is seen.

I can't believe you have the audacity to have your main headline read "OUR COMMITMENT" when you can't even commit to a damn roadmap. Look CPDR, we already know you won't be able to uphold any promises you make. But at the very least give us SOMETHING to work with. Don't just say "roadmap will have an update in 2022" because you lack the balls to actually commit to anything slightly detailed. You don't want to burn any bridges, I get that, but you don't even realize that you don't even have bridges to burn in the first place. You are full body falling into the ravine below, and you need a god damn parachute to save your reputation. Get your shit together and deploy that parachute, hopefully you will also find a safe place to land and by then have an actual product worthy of the hype YOU generated around CP77. The game and its community deserves so much more than a shallow company who famously went out to belittle all the other AAA titans out there and their business practices, just to see yourselves become the real laughing stock of the whole industry.

First step is to create an ACTUAL road map with tangible goals that we can judge and give value to. Otherwise it's not a roadmap, it's just empty words to add fuel to a community already on fire.

CDPR, on behalf of the entire CP77 community; be professional for once.
Post automatically merged:

I think this rubbish line about older consoles not being able to run CP77 because of the hardware is crap tbh, now that I've see what a game like RE8 can do on the machine.

Absolutely agree. I am here on 2016 pc hardware running perfectly well in medium/high settings on 3440x1440 ultrawide. 6700k and 980strix plus decent amount of ram. I simply do NOT buy that last gen consoles can't even run in 1080p at bearable settings. And if they truly can't, then CDPR should have simply cut that tie and not let it drag down everyone else. If performance really was that bad, they 100% were aware of it far ahead of initial release, and should never have promised a last gen playable version until they knew for a fact if they could make it work or not.

They should have committed to making a PC/New gen console version playable and well optimized, and then down the line make work behind-the-scene to scale it down to a last gen version as well, if they have the time and resources to do so. But instead they chose to chomp on too big of a bite, they wanted everything, they wanted absolute max sales potential, and it came at the cost of literally everyone.

That being said, as I mentioned, if I can run it fine on 2016 hardware with near zero game-altering bugs or crashes, then what are they fucking around for? How much optimization work do they need to do, before they actually start improving the core gameplay aspecst that were promised originally? Like "Most advanced AI ever seen" etc. When do they start giving a shit about the actual gameplay of their product? You know, the little detail that entirely ensures whether the game will last or be forgotten before it can ever achieve its true potential.

Last edited:
The issue, as I see it, is two-fold; yet it is still both sides of the same coin.

1) It seems to me that the technical issues and the choice of that Red Engine has probably killed all the rest of the game; all that could have been created up to launch in Dec 2020 was either dropped ad-hoc to fix the damn engine or it was dropped as the game would not be able to handle the "streaming" of information, as the studio penned it in the FAQ from the very beginning when things went haywire with the consoles and fans - and the worst part of it, again as I see it, is that it is probably still killing it.

So many months after my first posts on this very thread, I find the lack of progress disappointing, yet so expected, in a weird way that I cannot explain.

This is the only rational way one could explain the lack of any reference to an expansion (apart from an abstract "DLCs" mention). I think they are still trying to find a way to cure that technical burden of a game this has become, either be it "advanced police AI" or more complicated mechanisms in the game or even a story with multiple branches (which right now, to sum it up, still it feels to me more like the origins stories in "Temple of Elemental Evil" rather than something more tangible or meaningful in an RPG sense).

2) The previous issue, if I am correct, is of course made the proverbial millstone around CDPR's neck, with the unfortunate inclusion of old hardware in the mix (last-gen consoles) in the first place. There seems to be no way around fixing everything around those last-gen consoles now because "we promised we would deliver".

- So, free DLCs? Sure, once the more pressing technical issues that still remain get somewhat fixed/get a a workaround (or a mod, this would probably be faster).
- Bugs patched? Well, sure, although I still hold a small basket as to the scope of these.
- Meaningful, large and story-driving expansion? I don't think as much, at least not soon. And I fear that when (if) it comes, all of us will have almost forgotten all of the hard feelings (if any) and will have advanced to other enjoyable games (for me this is already true, 8 months since i last played CP2077 and counting).

All in all, I agree with the view that by the time the game would be enjoyable and "fully-fledged" to a degree that satisfies most of the fans, the shareholders would probably be thinking that any more resources into this game would be a waste of potential for other "fruitful" ventures. And if that decision might happen earlier, then bye bye money and resources for that long awaited expansion and cool stuff... a year is already too far off in terms or gaming (or any) industry.

Or maybe we may be facing a bunch of truly caring shareholders that actually read and ponder upon the words written in these forums and give all the resources to the studio and devs to do what they want to do... anyone willing to bet on that branch in our story? :p

Last edited:
Thank you CDPR.

I look forward to what you actually deliver.
Even with all the bugs fixed I find the whole experience (besides some story/writing highs) being underwhelming.

Its like playing a game from 2012 but with better graphics if I had the rig to run it.

I just hope when you mention improvements its not just performance and couple of "clothing" or gimick patches and DLCs.

When you say improvements I sincerely hope you mean the cut contents or obvious missing features or rushed content.

The Lifepaths are so short and that 6 month montage could have been such a great "start from rags to riches Act 1 story" why the rush to get to Johnny? Please consider extending these elements.

And cut features like CP2077 gwent style mini game, brain dances, barbershops, better and more immersive ripperdoc customizing your body like the very first time and of course new apartments, metros, trains, cut quests, replacing the fixer nonstop exposition phone calls in favor of actual quests and car shops so my phone doesnt have 99+ unread texts.
And so on...

I also sincerely hope the paid DLCs are not sending us off to new cities or lands. Nightcity needs more.
Maybe these dlcs are concurrent with the main campaign which can maybe impact the ending?! Lots of possibilities.

And finally for the love of god give us more Meredith and Militech!
Very well said and you matched my thoughts exactly. I would also like to know what will be different about the Next gen console versions and the "old-gen" versions.

Wake me up when there's either a game I want to play, or developer support has ended.

11hrs, since release. It was just not good, and nothing I have seen has brought me back. Show me some commitment!

If you can bring me back to want to play your game un-ironically, that will make you true to your word.

[X]

Top Bottom