Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Check your heat sink.

My computer did that once, turn out the heat sink was warped. The CPU's usually turn off the computer is they reach a certain temperature. Pretty easy fix if that's the issue, a replacement and some thermal paste and you're good to go.

I was thinking about that earlier.. I'm gonna give it a go! Thanks for reminding me! ^_^

I have put nearly 55 hours into the game, and only now the game is crashing. How is it the stability of the game has gotten worse with the patches?

For several days I've had minor interaction bugs, minor visual bugs, and things of that sort. Yet now when I'm getting into the meat of it the game is crashing incessantly. I've tried lowering graphics settings, I've checked for and installed updates where necessary. Nothing has worked.

I've tried walking instead of running through the area the save is at, and it still crashes less than 5 minutes into loading the game. There's nothing even happening, just NPC's and ambient sound and yet the game turns itself off. I've been very light on criticism because I expected bugs, its part and parcel of games these days, but the fact the game stability has somehow detiriorated over time baffles me. What is going on?

Darn. Did you make sure to use the AVX fix from nexus mods at the same time? I also don't have SSE4.1, and if there are fixes for AVX and SSE4.2, then this is tragic because we are nearly there.
Just tried both at the same time, no change. I feel like I would need a SSE4.1 fix also, and all the patches would need to be for the current version of the game, which is 1.04 atm

We really need a fix... Really. ATM it will run. Start doing the quest BANG full system lock up and hard reset.
Alt clt del doesn't even work in the lock up. It is a 100% hard reset only.

Please CPR release a hot fix or something.
The part that is really pissing everyone off.. This game was made with 1080Ti's and 1070Ti in mind. Meaning if you released it back when you claimed in March. My system would be top line still.
So come on CPR. Release a fix PLEASE!~

Having MAJOR issues with "With A Little Help From My Friends" quest in Panam's storyline (seriously, they named her after an AIRLINE LOL); I make it to the firefight at the train (why is the coupling only available to be shot out at a scripted point... and it doesn't even matter if you shoot it BTW) and at some point thereafter - might be instantly or just as it ends - my game CTDs.

Anyone found a cause or solution?

Check your heat sink.

My computer did that once, turn out the heat sink was warped. The CPU's usually turn off the computer is they reach a certain temperature. Pretty easy fix if that's the issue, a replacement and some thermal paste and you're good to go.

Damn it.. CPU temp 46 C.. So not that either.,, My PSU is 750W and only one year old too.. I don't get this..

Damn it.. CPU temp 46 C.. So not that either.,, My PSU is 750W and only one year old too.. I don't get this..
Power draw is something that fluctuates when more load is put on the system. Think of it like this.... The DVD at idle is using a small trickle of power. Then when you push eject, it pulls more power to run all the motors, etc. to make the tray come out, then spin the disk up. Yadda, Yadda.

Every component in a computer can do this. Especially with all the power saving features built in these days. You may want to look into your power settings (google how to find them for your OS), and set them to the loosest/performance modes as possible.

Then you may want to look into if your BIOS has load throttling and turn those off or adjust them. Obviously noting down the values before making changes.

It is VERY COMMON to have systems blink off if there is too much draw. And not in the Watts sense either. In the volts. If you have any Overclocking profiles, turn them off. Because those to can cause instability without even drawing extra power.

I really doubt the issue is without our temps and heat sinks to begin with. You are not the only one experiencing such an issue. Most in this thread as well as out of it are experiencing "gpu crash" error which results in drivers crashing and screen turning blank and/or computers restarting. Tens of thousands having their GPU heat sink warped and needing to reapply thermal paste just because of this game? I think we would have better odds striking the national lottery instead. It's also a dangerous thing to do for the average player since they wouldn't know where to begin with. Not only could it void their warranty, they could damage their cards in the process of taking it apart as well. All for the sake of only one game out of the thousands(including the likes of ac valhalla and rdr2) they have? Nope, I'm not going to risk opening up my month old 3080 just to reapply thermal paste. I have even swapped out my 3080 and 850w gold 80 plus psu, both brand new, for a backup 2070S and 750w gold 80+ psu but the issue still persists.

Seriously though, CDPR expecting their players to do their own tech support and open up their GPUs and CPUs? What sort of game is this?

Сrashes at first Keanu mirror scene.
Unskippable Silverhand mirror cutscene was impossible to get through without a crash. Always videocard driver crashes with game.

Win7 Sp 1, 3570K, 16Gb, 1060 6Gb.
Latest Nvidia drivers.

I've never had a game crash this often. It's ridiculous. "Lean on barrier, and wait". So I click the place to lean, and crash. Had an autosave save during death once too. Lost a bit of progress on that one. I want to like the game, but the crashes are really taking me out of it. Might be best to wait for a few patches.

I really doubt the issue is without our temps and heat sinks to begin with. You are not the only one experiencing such an issue. Most in this thread as well as out of it are experiencing "gpu crash" error which results in drivers crashing and screen turning blank and/or computers restarting. Tens of thousands having their GPU heat sink warped and needing to reapply thermal paste just because of this game? I think we would have better odds striking the national lottery instead. It's also a dangerous thing to do for the average player since they wouldn't know where to begin with. Not only could it void their warranty, they could damage their cards in the process of taking it apart as well. All for the sake of only one game out of the thousands(including the likes of ac valhalla and rdr2) they have? Nope, I'm not going to risk opening up my month old 3080 just to reapply thermal paste. I have even swapped out my 3080 and 850w gold 80 plus psu, both brand new, for a backup 2070S and 750w gold 80+ psu but the issue still persists.

Seriously though, CDPR expecting their players to do their own tech support and open up their GPUs and CPUs? What sort of game is this?

They're not expecting this of course temps are not a big deal if you're not hitting the point of thermal throttle. The game has problems with gpu boost so if your card is factory overclocked (even if it's fully stable) you can underclock it to prevent the crash like I did.
But they need to fix the issues of course I'm not defending them

I don't disagree with you, and you make fair points! I played W3 at launch, and it's why I'm disappointed but not surprised by the CP2077 bugs. For some reason releasing a game in this condition, saying sorry, and taking a year to update it seems to be an acceptable practice in the industry now, and I have no idea why. Sure wouldn't fly at my job!

Can't change that though, so patience seems to be the only reasonable option...mostly because 5 days of troubleshooting has gotten me nothing :shrug:

For all the faults that W3 had at launch, it did not require me to take apart my hardware just to be able to start the game. Nor did I have to reformat my drive or reinstall the OS. All I had to do was update the driver. Heck, I could even play W3 for hours at launch without needing the patch, albeit with much lower FPS. Seriously, CP's launch makes witcher 3's look like a paragon of technical stability. Even PC RDR2 was much more stable at launch.....no doubt having vulkan as an option played a big part.

I mean look at some of the suggested "fixes" for cyberpunk..... hex editing executables, tempering with voltages, taking apart gpu and cpu to apply paste.....heck, I have even seen one on reddit talking about soldering back capacitor on the motheboard. Jesus almighty, that's cdpr's idea of "troubleshooting"? We are talking about some potentially warranty voiding stuff there. It is kind of ironic. If the issue can be so easily resolved by just waiting for the patch, then is all that tinkering even necessary in the first place? In other words, the issue does not lie with our hardware to begin with and tempering with them is just unnecessary risk. I want to play cyberpunk, not do part time work at radioshack or in an assembly line at an electronics factory.
Post automatically merged:

They're not expecting this of course temps are not a big deal if you're not hitting the point of thermal throttle. The game has problems with gpu boost so if your card is factory overclocked (even if it's fully stable) you can underclock it to prevent the crash like I did.
But they need to fix the issues of course I'm not defending them

Mine isn't overclocked and I have tried using msi afterburner to underclock it by a range of 100 - 500 but no dice either. Afterburner can only adjust the base clock. I can't adjust the boost clock and there is no way for me to prevent the GPU's boost setting from activating. By the way, underclocking kind of goes against CDPR's suggestion which is to leave it at factory default and not to have software like MSI afterburner running at the same time as the game.

Last edited:
I have the same crash issue :/ played all night lastnight ,no updates to the game since, or any pc changes in between lastnight and now , besides ..actually one update to my alienware overclocking program.crashes on the same line. have you found a workaround? my guess is if you have a OC program then I'd lean on that.
I have
-2080ti
-i99900k
-win10 , 20H2
-dx12
-850w ps
-running at : 4k,ultra ray trace,ultra settings,dlss@perf

Cyberpunk crash on intro crash report
GPU Crash Reason: Unknown

Breadcrumbs: Command list '[ 1615: 36] <<-merge DiscardOps': Finished [1]
Breadcrumbs: Command list '[ 1615: 37] Lighting': [1]
Breadcrumbs: Command list '[ 1615: 38] DecoupledParticleLighting': Not started

edit: going to see if steam has a safemode launch for it,& try that. and yes I have tryed launching the game with no OC and tryed just the exe file without steam or geforce or any launcher besides the cdpr one wich it has to be.

Last edited:
Power draw is something that fluctuates when more load is put on the system. Think of it like this.... The DVD at idle is using a small trickle of power. Then when you push eject, it pulls more power to run all the motors, etc. to make the tray come out, then spin the disk up. Yadda, Yadda.

Every component in a computer can do this. Especially with all the power saving features built in these days. You may want to look into your power settings (google how to find them for your OS), and set them to the loosest/performance modes as possible.

Then you may want to look into if your BIOS has load throttling and turn those off or adjust them. Obviously noting down the values before making changes.

It is VERY COMMON to have systems blink off if there is too much draw. And not in the Watts sense either. In the volts. If you have any Overclocking profiles, turn them off. Because those to can cause instability without even drawing extra power.

Yeah, I know all that. But I haven't found anything. I don't overcklock, just for that reason. But I'm going into bios to check too.. Thnx!

Hi guys. I've read almost everything here and done some of my own research. Game run without a problem on my PC from the start, but my friend can't even start it, so we did some testing.

Tested on 3 PC-s:

1. i5-3570, 8GB, GTX1050Ti, HDD, Win10, 20H2
2. i5-3570K, 16GB, GTX970, SSD, Win10, 20H2
3. i5-8600K, 32GB, GTX1080, SSd, Win10, 1909

From the start, Friday I think, game run flawlessly on third machine, and without GPU driver update or any other tinkering.
Then my friend, installed it on his machine, PC no2 on the list, would not start, so he reset his Windows, new drivers, and everything wrote on this forum, and it just wont start. At all!!!!!

So I stole my daughthers PC (no1 on list), and installed game there, just like that, it runs without a problem.

So I have lost of shit on my PC, AutoCAD, VisualStudio, some games, MySQL Server, so its not really clean system.
My daughter on the other hand has only Subnautica, Microsoft Teams and Chome on her very, very clean system.
And my friend just reset his Windows to factory, so it too is clean.

Difference, my daughter and I have Windows 10 Pro installed, my friend has Windows 10 Pro N.
That "N" shit means that that system has fewer features, and is cheaper in return.

I am no 100% sure, but I can't find anything else.
If anyone needs any screenshots or any other information, ask and I will post it.

Also guys, this Covid shit made hard for developers to properly test game, remember that. I am not defending them, I am just saying.

PS: CDPR, why the fuck I can't change my hairstyle in game !!!!!!!???????????

Сrashes at first Keanu mirror scene.
Unskippable Silverhand mirror cutscene was impossible to get through without a crash. Always videocard driver crashes with game.

Win7 Sp 1, 3570K, 16Gb, 1060 6Gb.
Latest Nvidia drivers.
Same for me. Always at that spot. And now, I'm sometimes crashing before the menu. That wasn't happening until they did the latest hotfix...

I observe 2 types of errors:

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread caused a user-mode data execution prevention (DEP) violation at 0x0.

And I found that it happens often in some places/areas, but never happens in others.

I also tried all suggested before: fresh installed latest win10 and fresh drivers, MSVCs, DX, etc. nothing helped. Differents graphic settings changed nothing. But some people can play the game smoothly using old HW, no idea why.
Post automatically merged:

PS: CDPR, why the fuck I can't change my hairstyle in game !!!!!!!???????????
Yep, the same thing, this is annoing.

fixed my issue. just did a system restore to lastnight. and voila works...odd . if you want to know more check my above comment I was playing all night lastnight ... :S all night haha and had no issue .then fired it up tonight to play and crashed at very initial launch.the only thing that had updated/changed was my alienware command centre OC program updated for the OC controls.I tried running it without OC or any launching program. tried diff res.safe mode.power off on,steam game files integrity check, direct x12 check.exc exc..

Top Bottom