Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Using MSI Afterburner to underclock and undervolt my GPU was my solution as well. I didn't want to believe it but it was the last thing I did not try because I'm not familiar with it. I followed along a youtube tutorial on how to do it and apply the setting and it really did solve my GPU crashing. I referenced my box I have the Asus Rog Strix 1080ti OC edition which apparently comes with a factory overclock. Long story short. I cut it down about 200 mhz and it is now running without crashing. Don't know why I have to do this but if it works I will do it.

So CDPR finally got back to me about the flatline at the CDPR logo.

I had to update from Win 10 build 1909 to the latest 20H2. I had gone through all the support site stuff before this with drivers, visual c etc. that appear on the technical support pages.
Now that caused quite the bit of alarm (hey anyone who's ever had to trust a windows upgrade will know the feeling). However I still seem to have all my installed stuff afterwards and settings seem the same (although I know some things, somewhere will need reset back to how I like them).

Took 20 minutes, then another few minutes for the inevitable windows updates to install. Verified the CP2077 files and launched.

I'm in !!!
Although I expect there to be more trouble ahead.

Still pretty annoyed a current build of windows with who knows how many live users will potentially have this issue like me. So this suggests pre launch testing was very minimal as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for this. I didn't realize how many creator patches I was behind. I went from 1909 to 20H2. Clean installed video drivers and verified game files. I was able to play an hour last night. Loaded it up today, crash within 2 minutes. Then crash on load of save game, even if I load my first save at the start of the game. No idea what is happening any more. I have over 140 crash reports from the last 4 days.

BTW, this is what I have: Win10 Pro 20H2, 16 Gb RAM, ASUS ROG 2080, Threadripper 1900X in Game mode (8 cores, 16 threads)

So I think I found finally a workaround regarding the frequent crashes but I'm not really sure as I haven't tested it enough. I had basically constant crashing from starting up the game to loading the game (almost 80% of the time). I was curious on how Witcher 3 was faring in comparison and take a guess, the game was crashing almost instantaneous as soon as my save loaded.

What fixed the problem for me (so far) was underclocking my gpu. If you have overclocked your gpu or even if you didn't try lowering your core clock (i.e. -150MHz) and see how it runs. This seems to at least decrease the frequency on how often it crashes.

Quoting myself. I played an hour and I hadn't got a single crash, so underclocking was the solution for me.

Jesus I'm glad I didn't give up on this game I have found a temp solution for this exact problem.
e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp(198)

Here is what you need to do.
  1. Make a user.ini file inside *Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc
  2. Open the user.ini file with notepad (I reccoment notepad++)
  3. Code:
    [Engine/Watchdog]
    ActiveIfDebuggerPresent = true
    ActiveIfDialogBlocking = false
    ActiveIfScriptBreakpointBlocking = false
    DumpJobExecutionContext = true
    Enabled = false
    KillProcess = false
    ThreadFrequencyHz = 15
    TimeoutSeconds = 604800
  4. I have attached a zip file with the user.ini file inside it if you are unsure how to make and edit a ini.
  5. Make a shortcut to your game exe *\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe
  6. Right click your newly made shortcut and add -watchdogTimeout 604800
  7. View attachment 11086244
  8. Launch and play the game using the new shortcut.

Little info on how it works - If your game is crashing due to the watchdog timeout error then this will force the watchdog timeout to be 5 days long unless you are going to have the game open for 5 days straight it can't crash this way again.

I really hope this helps anyone that was having this error and thank you to the people on who found launch options and hidden user.ini settings I just compiled them together.
I had crashes every 15-20 minutes. After I did everything indicated in the post, I have been playing for 3 hours without any problems. God bless you, Combatxlemming!

Hi guys

same problem , like everyone , crash to desktop
sometimes I can play one hour without any problem and sometimes , the game crash to desktop with no message on screen.
Ryzen 3800x
2080 Ti Strix (latest driver 460.89)
32 Gb
Windows 10 pro uptodate

PC/Windows freezed after opening Fast Travel/Map (walking around, using FT/press M button to open the map and all system freezed immediately) and forced hard-reset, anyone here having the same issue?

I think new nvidia drivers are pretty the same like 460.79
(they just added support for quake 2 rtx)
on nvidia forum , still many complaint about crash and flickering on various system

Game was running alright before I updated my graphics drivers now I have an issue right before I get the title screen where the game will freeze my screens, crash my drivers and the game. It does it the majority of the time, been trying different ideas to fix the issue myself but no luck.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp(198)

It seems there's few types of errors and their sub-errors that loom around in this thread.

- EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction - this one is most likely tied to AVX and nonexisting support for older CPUs

- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
with it's suberror: The thread tried to read inaccessible data at (0x0), 0xED5F70, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFF
or this one: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at random memory address

Those are the ones that don't allow the game to even run.

The ones where the game crashes mid gameplay or shortly after launching the game are related to:

- Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
or
- Watchdog timeout! (120 seconds)

EDIT:
In personal opinion I think this thread is amalgamation and is not helping anyone find anything. I had to spend a significant amount of time searching for these error reports or converse with people to give their error reports in order to come to even a slight bit of conclusion about this.

It does not help that crashes and not being able to run the game errors are being talked about in the same thread, as they are obviously different things. Let alone all of these different error types being reported all over the thread with users trying to apply the solutions that can only work for other types of errors, further complicating their situation.

Last edited:
same error with 457.51, crashing all the time, driver can't do anything about this bug I think

Ok, thanks. I just read on reddit that 457.51 works better for someone in game and i have 460.79 now. I don't want the newest version because it doesn't solve anything. Anyway the GPU crashes started only in CP's 1.4 version so guess its not the driver itself. Let's see in a week if we get new patch for game

It seems there's few types of errors and their sub-errors that loom around in this thread.

- EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction - this one is most likely tied to AVX and nonexisting support for older CPUs

- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
with it's suberror: The thread tried to read inaccessible data at (0x0), 0xED5F70, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFF
or this one: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at random memory address

Those are the ones that don't allow the game to even run.

The ones where the game crashes mid gameplay or shortly after launching the game are related to:

- Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
or
- Watchdog timeout! (120 seconds)

EDIT:
In personal opinion I think this thread is amalgamation and is not helping anyone find anything. I had to spend a significant amount of time searching for these error reports or converse with people to give their error reports in order to come to even a slight bit of conclusion about this.

It does not help that crashes and not being able to run the game errors are being talked about in the same thread, as they are obviously different things. Let alone all of these different error types being reported all over the thread with users trying to apply the solutions that can only work for other types of errors, further complicating their situation.

I just want to know what data 0x28 is so I can figure out whether its the game or my computer.

Cyberpunk crashed after character creation...
tried it 4 times no luck....

Run it on:
Ryzen R7 3700X
RTX 2070S manual OC, stable
16 GB 3600 DDR4
should be fine tbh... any ideas
tried it quick on low settings, seems to work, what setting could cause the problem, it isnt raytraceing, tried that

I just want to know what data 0x28 is so I can figure out whether its the game or my computer.
I really don't know and I think nobody knows. The only thing I know is that data xED5F70 is tied to game not being able to read from dxd12.dll which either means your PC does not support dx12 or the game expects a different version of the dll.
And that the first error is mostly tied to older CPUs.

Rest of the errors are mostly unresolved :/

Top Bottom