Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and for your report.

Regarding support for CPUs that are not supporting AVX Instruction Set, we are working on it.

Regards,
Ashka

This reply here.

Someone got a reply from CD Project Red regarding the AVX issue. You can find the thread here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/cyberpunk-2077-pc-crash-issues.11040656/page-29

--------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and for your report.

Regarding support for CPUs that are not supporting AVX Instruction Set, we are working on it.

Regards,

Ashka
--------------

Oh, i missed it in the thread somewhere, nice to hear that, let's hope it can be done

So AVX is def the culprit... my i7 processor is of the 9xx variety, so it doesn't have AVX. Which also means I need a new MoBo to play this... as there are no current gen processors that fit that CPU slot. I am not so mad at that, I got a good decade of use out of them, I just wish I'd have know AVX was going to be this much of an issue, oh I dunno, a year ago? Now I am scrambling to upgrade. As in, if you don't have an AVX capable processor you can't play at all.

they seem to be working on a fix. Wait a little.

So this is an AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions) issue?

The CPU I'm using has AVX2 support and hasn't crashed as yet. i4690K

Which CPU's don't have this, AMD / older gen Intel CPU's or newer?

Confirm Same problem as people above but on steam version of the game.

Street kid, game crashes right after exiting the bar, constantly same place.
Nomad, Everything runs great until you arrive in night city. The long intro cut scene runs and than game just closes with flatline error.
From what I understood same will happen with Corpo once you sit in the chair.

i7-920, 18GB Ram, 1070 GTX G1 gaming, 460.79 Drivers, Win7 64-bit
Game runs pretty good on medium high settings with med textures, with low textures it is flying. I am even able to run it with high textures but there noticable FPS drops. Crashes has nothing to do with performance, it is same crash on same spot no matter what graphic settings are set.

Steam overplay doesnt work in the game too, impossible to capture screenshots and chat with friends but steam overplay will start in the small CDRP launcher window before you hit play button!

Reported to CDRP support,
If CDRP representative will read this Please fix this issue, this is very frustrating me and many other people waited for this game to play it. I personally saw it as first game even worth my money since like 2012...I really believe it has revolutionary gameplay and experience. It was meant to be my new year getaway. Fix those issues so we can enjoy it!

Last edited:

Most people here had some kind of old Intel Xeon CPUs, originaly designed for servers and really cheap, somewhat popular base for gaming builds on a budget. Or 1st gen Intel i7, too.

High end INTEL i7 gen 9xx and Xeon processors of the same ERA (like X5690) , that are still able to run most games of today. Some High end AMD from same period but rarer as AMD was really below at this time.

I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700X and as I understand it supports AVX and AVX2....so that doesn't seem to be the sole cause of the crazy crashing

Because that is the place where the AVX command is given, which leads to the illegal operation. Basically that is the first place where the game makes an API call to the AVX on the processor, and since your processor does not support AVX it throws an unhandled exception. That is why you can play up to that point. It is also why I can play the Corp tutorial mission up until I have to sit in a chair (about 5 min in). It isn't a CPU performance issue, it is a missing API call issue.

Roger that, ty for the info. Idid not know that, appreciated.

Some bad news for those of us with older processors:

I opened a support ticket because of the repeated crash I was seeing on the Nomad game path, at the end of the Night City cinematic.

I have a Xeon X5687, comparable to an Intel I960. Here's the response I got:

It would have been nice if the developers would have actually listed the required instruction sets :(

this is straight up, grade A bullshit, in the bar the game runs flawless at 60+ fps on high/ultra, yet for some reason, leaving the bar it crashes, the game engine is perfectly playable on this CPU, why the hell does a couple instructions from AVX deem this game too much for our CPUs that are clearly capable for the job

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

Anyone had this error?
I have Intel Xeon X3450 and AMD Radeon HD 7900 series, still 40 fps but this crash doesn't let me play.
I haven't had it personally, but I have seen it before in other forum threads. My guess is your 3D driver died, or for some reason DX12 died on you. Dunno what to tell you beyond that, but I 'think' those types of errors are mostly OOM (out of memory0 errors. I think the min recommended RAM is 12 gb and 10 gb on board memory for the GFX card. I could be wrong there though.

It is definitely not missing AVX alone, which causes the crashes. My i7-8700 definitely has AVX2. Checked it with coreinfo from sysinternals to make sure.

they seem to be working on a fix. Wait a little.
I am building a rig for my wife anyways, and my CPU\MoBo are both over a decade old. Due for an upgrade anyways /shrug.
Have the first gen i7 and the Asus Rampage Formula III. They've been work horses, but it is time for an upgrade.

Could anyone actually confirm that the game runs on Windows 10 1607 LTSB? It seems that most, if not all, of the "Gpu Crash for unknown reasons!" launch crash posts have that OS in common.

It is definitely not missing AVX alone, which causes the crashes. My i7-8700K definitely has AVX2
It seems to be related to how the game tries to handle the commands that it sends to our CPUs rather then just an issue of strictly lack of supporting the AVX

Top Bottom