Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Game crashing on old CPUs: possible fix

If you happen to have an old CPU you maybe having this crash:

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)

The game is trying to use a feature you don’t have: AVX.

At the beginning playing corpo when you sit it crashes. A possible temporal solution while they fix this issue is to remove this part of code:

Edit Cyberpunk2077.exe with a hexadecimal editor and search for

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

Change the first byte to C3 (return from the function):

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Please note this fix is extremely simplistic and naïve. Moreover, it could crash the game later. This change seems to fix this crash and you can continue playing the game. I have only tested a few minutes more.

FAQ: Why are they using AVX?

They are not doing it on purpose, it is probably the default configuration of the compiler.

I confirm that this works to skip the spot at the exit of the bar, as a Street Kid. Will continue to play further, check if something else bugs out

At the beginning playing corpo when you sit it crashes. A possible temporal solution while they fix this issue is to remove this part of code:

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Please note this fix is extremely simplistic and naïve. Moreover, it could crash the game later. This change seems to fix this crash and you can continue playing the game. I have only tested a few minutes more.

They are not doing it on purpose, it is probably the default configuration of the compiler.

Try this before posting for the AVX Crash this is a confirmed FIX ATM :D

Guest 4454648

So started as Nomad - when you enter Night City and there is a bunch of cutscenes - when it goes to load it looks like I am in a car and the game crashes every single time. Tried lowering gfx settings but didnt make a difference. I'm not using the GOG launcher (but disabled overlay as some suggested). Disabled steam overlay too.

Tried a new game as corpo - as i enter the office and hit "sit down" it also crashes. Not tried street kid yet but assuming there will be a point of crash there too.

Any suggestions?

EDIT to update system specs:
CPU: Intel i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz
Memory: 16GB
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390
Running on HDD (SSD out of space)

I know it is an old system.. but so far I've never had an issue playing anything. Seems a tonne of people have the exact same issue I have - crashing at the "exact" same spot (Sitting down in corpo start, or entry to city in nomad and getting a "glimps" of sitting in a car I think).

Appreciate anything to get this working - not a complain post but "can you help me" post :) I know it has tonnes of bugs and I need an upgrade :)
Update Windows. Lower any OC on your gcard. Dx12 pushes cards to the limit. Enable slow HDD option in game. But I would personally make space on my SSD

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Try this before posting for the AVX Crash this is a confirmed FIX ATM :D
THIS NEEDS PINNING STAT!

--:giveup: I had written this comment and it crashed 5 mins later again :) ffffff
Not sure but it stopped crashing;
Here for "Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant." Error. You can find this detail when your game crash and check the log files. I was getting crashes every 5-10 mins of gameplay, irrelevant to any scene, area etc. I had followed every steps that has been provided by CD Project like validate all game files, re-install the GPU driver, close all overlay applications etc., but non of them worked.
But last time, I dropped ray tracing from Ultra to Medium, and DLSS to Balanced. Also randomly decreaed Screen Space Reflections Quality to High and Ambient Occlusion to Medium. Also Max Dynamic Decals to High. Also all overlays are still closed and I also followed the steps of clean boot : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135/
Now it didnt crashed like last 30 mins :) So yay! You might can also tinker over settings maybe. BTW my gpu is 3070 and CPU is 5600x

Last edited:
Confirm this works on all three paths:
Corpo, Nomad, and Street kid!

Great Job now apply to CDPR and fix all their bugs.

Question: what did you use to find this workaround? Radare? IDA? or simple windbg?

x64dbg but any debugger should be fine

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

Perfect solutions works even better then AVX emulator! Thumbs up mate!

I've got same issue. And I found temporary resolve. I just change all (!) graphics settings to min. Now crashing is rare but I hope CDPR will fix it soon.

PS
I5 - 8500
16 gb ddr4
ssd
GF 1080

For everyone (like me) that the game isn't even starting up, but crashing on clicking play check here:

seems to be the only thing to go on that every one seems to have in common

554881ECA00000000F2970E8

C34881ECA00000000F2970E8

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom