Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Guys, anyone experiencing these never-ending bullshit errors

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Message: The thread caused a user-mode data execution prevention (DEP) violation at 0x0.

Message: The thread attempted to write to an inaccessible address at 0x7FFBF8233610.

Just find your Cyberpunk2077.exe (in my case Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe , right click - properties - Compatibility - Run this program as admin - Save/Ok and try to run the game again from Steam / GoG and you should be good to go :) I have just discovered it on my own and I am taken aback this advice has not been mentioned here so far.

If it helped you from immense struggle and pain and you are willing to send me some Sats, please be welcome - 34KCkYno4LhSdbaLYm1i4ToAuKejSNWJBL

This was suggested very early on multiple times, and unfortunately only worked for a small amount of people. That's why it hasn't been suggested in a while. Happy it worked for you though, enjoy!

Update:

I get the crash on the initial CDPR logo screen.

- I uninstalled & reinstalled graphics drivers

- Deleted & re-downloaded those Visual C++ files

- Turned off all game overlays

- Verified game downloads

- Re-downloaded and installed the full 59gb game.

- Flashed the bios.

- Swapped the RAM.

- Replaced the GFX card with a brand new model.

Same crash every time. I am out of ideas.

Yup. Can't launch the game, tried the same things minus the BIOS and hardware level stuff. I need my PC for work, can't risk it for this game. No luck since Day 1 either way though. You're not alone!

Some users here with our problem who know more about this stuff than I do seem confident it's not something we can fix, unfortunately. We're gonna be waiting for a patch, friend

I do not really have anything to contribute, but just pointing out that I do have that GPU crash too.
Never on the menus, fortunately, but 5 to 15 minutes after loading in.
I think I played a few hours already and I barely made it to the bot/Maelstrom, basically learning the paths until I could reach the next checkpoint before crashing. Guess I'll be ready to speedrun the game.

It's obviously catastrophic, and in a very ironic turn of events I'm almost jealous of the PS4 version. At least, hey, they can play \o/
No but seriously everything that has been covered in this topic, I tried, except the things that we should never have to do like underclocking the GPU, changing voltage or whatever.
And I won't turn off RTX. This is almost the sole reason I picked up the game soo... :/

AMD Ryzen 3950x
MSI x570 MEG ACE
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
64Gb RAM, SSD PCIe 4.0
Win 10 pro (20h2, 19042.685)

Bios up to date, drivers up to date... At this point I just don't know. Guess I'll wait for the actual release in a few month time ?

Just a heads up, Nvidia has released new drivers(460.89) but it's not specifically for cyberpunk. Still worth a try though since we don't really have any other options left.

Using borderless window mode at 2560x1440 resolution on a 1440p monitor, since I don't get a full screen option (a win7 thing with this game I think) with mixed medium an high settings.
I would play at 1080 resolution, but then it shows me the game in a just smallwer window, instead of expanding the window to the full monitor size with lower ingame resolution (not sure how borderless window with lower resolution works on other games since I never had a game before that does not give me the full screen option which I prefer).

Set your resolution in Windows to match the resolution you are trying to play the game at. Should have it expand to the size of your screen once you do that.

underclocking was the solution for me. it runs now without crashes. fixes this "Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful." bug. thanks for your help

So for people who have yet to be able to launch the game due to flatlnning upon pushing play, any word or luck or fixing it?

I was getting the flatline upon hitting play for a couple days then re-installed windows 10 entirely (huge PITA) but I can get into the game now and my flatline crashes have turned to frequent and random while playing. SO I guess that's progress...

I think I finally fixed the crashing issue for my configuration. Tried everyhing, all new drivers, new motherboard BIOS, AVX patch, starting without overlay programs in the background, playing with all graphics settings,... and still getting the "GPU crash for unknown reasons".

What finally seems to solve the constant crashing was flashing my graphics card BIOS. I have an ASUS Turbo GTX 1070 on an ASUS Prime B350 and X1800 CPU. With VGA BIOS 1.02 this now seems to work.

Not only motherboards have a BIOS. Graphics cards have a BIOS too. I bought my GTX 1070 in December 2016 and never had a game that had an issue with this ancient BIOS, but Cyberpunk seems to be picky. Go to your graphics card internet page and search their support section for BIOS. Maybe it helps.

I could play a bite with a lot of crach game before. With the new update i can't play anymore, my game instacrach when i open it... i'm sad btw. Please do something for PC gamers with low teck (i'm with an NVIDIA GTX 1060, i'm not asking for RTX performances, but i just want to play it, with no pc crach that would be wonderful)

So far I have spent three days of hard work trying to get CP2077 working. Now, should it be gamers' obligation to test all countless combinations, install and reinstall everything many times although they bought a game widely advertised as compatible with standard platforms? Writing complex applications for Windows is not an easy task but CD PROJEKT RED people certainly know that and the market pays them handsomely. What a careless release!

There are actually not BIOS update for mine...(AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME WATERFORCE WB 10G)
I wouldn't bother anyhow flashing a bios for a game that just needs time to get patched isn't a good idea, if your machine is functional the rest of the time then it's just inviting problems.

Regarding the game instant flatlining:

Hello all,

Long post I know, but I hope it will be informative to some of you experiencing the "instant flatline" error upon attempting to start the game.

Like many of you, I have been sat here reading through these posts since the day of launch. I, like many, have not been able to get the game to launch. Instant flatline as soon as the "CD Projekt Red" logo appears.

I have tried all the fixes I could think of.
- Updating Windows 10 to latest (20H2)
- Installed latest driver (clean install)
- Updated Chipset driver
- Updated motherboard BIOS
- Tried AVX hack (despite my CPU supporting AVX)
- Ensured AVX was enabled in Windows 10 using CMD
- Downloaded Microsoft DirectX config tool to allow me to limit Cyberpunk.exe access to DirectX features. Forcing it to be limited to v11.1
- Installed Studio Ready Driver (clean install)
- Installed Older driver (clean install)
- Booted into Safe mode and tried to run game
- Booted into Safemode and ran DDU and then reinstall driver
- Disabled Discord overlay
- Disabled NV overlay
- Disabled GoG Galaxy overlay
- Ran game from GoG Galaxy Client
- Ran game from directory, direct EXE launch
- Reinstalled game on HDD
- Reinstalled/moved game to SSD
- Checked file integrity
- Disabled XMP/D.O.C.P in Bios
- Tried all of this with both v1.03 and v1.04

No luck. Instant flatlines. Suddenly after a random Windows Update, the game started to run... however it would crash if I made any changes in the Settings menu.

My hardware, despite not being "cutting edge" is still fair:
CPU: AMD 3950X
RAM: 64GB
GPU: MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080

So I started looking into the "delete the cache folder" fix. The folder located at "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077". I found that by deleting the "cache" folder, didn't help at all. But deleting the "UserSettings.json" file did.

I noticed that if I ran the game and didn't make any changes to the Settings in game, upon restarting the game, it would still crash again, instant flatline at the next startup.

I started looking inside the file to see what could be causing the game to crash on my system. I started by making a blank text file and naming it "UserSettings.json". Started the game up and it ran without a crash, no issue there.

So next I populated the file and started removing blocks of code from the file. After removing one block, I left the file open in Notepad, I ran the game again. If it crashed, I resaved the file and removed another block. I continued in the hope I would find whatever it was that was causing my crash...

I eventually found that the "RayTracing" section (below) is what is causing my instant flatline.

{
"group_name": "/graphics/raytracing",
"options": [
{
"name": "RayTracing",
"type": "bool",
"value": true,
"default_value": false
},
{
"name": "RayTracedReflections",
},
{
"name": "RayTracedSunShadows",
},
{
"name": "RayTracedLighting",
"type": "string_list",
"is_dynamic": false,
"value": "Ultra",
"index": 2,
"default_index": 0,
"values": [
"Off",
"Medium",
"Ultra",
"Psycho"
]
}
]
},

By removing that block, the game ran. Of course after quitting the game, and attempting to run it again, it would crash once more. So I repopulated the file in full, scoured through the file and removed only the block of code above, saved the file and then set the file (UserSettings.json) to read-only. Started the game again and it ran... quit the game, and then attempted to start it again.

Usually at this point the game would instant flatline, but as the file was read-only and the game was unable to repopulate it's contents before I quit last session, the game successfully ran once again.

So for me, this fix has allowed me to start the game. The only issue is that I am unable to change the settings in game. I have to manually adjust them within a text editor, save the file and re-set its flag to read-only.

I hope this is at least a step forward in helping some of you get your game up and running.

ReNZoR

EDIT#1: After testing further, removing the code isn't necessary. Simply changing the ' "value": true, ' to ' "value": false, ' yields the same results. Remember to set the file to read-only after making the changes:

"name": "RayTracing",

Last edited:
Top Bottom