Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
same GPU crash error, with latest version 20H2 of windows 10
my specs :
Ryzen 5 3600XT, 16GB, RTX 3080, all drivers updated (460.89)

Hmm...Have you tried turning Raytracing off? I actually don't know how, 'cos mine does not have one. But someone mentioned in this forum that it helped.

Good afternoon. Can you advise how to solve the problem with the shutdown of the PC. On high settings all is normal, but here at ultra after 10 minutes of playing turns off.

Hey guys, I have a pretty weird issue, which I can't understand. I have played CP for over 40 hours already, mostly everything was fine, had 2 crashes on the way, restarted PC and everything worked just fine. Yesterday got another crash, which caused, that I can not load almost any game or benchmark at all. Tried assassin's creed odyssey, GTA V, Heaven Benchmark, Cyberpunk obviously. All of them cause PC to crash while loading a game save. What makes it even weirder is that LoL worked fine untill I would alt+tab, which also ended in immediate crash. I suspect that it is connected to some RAM issues, but I used Quick Memory Test program and it showed no difficulties. Please help me D;

Hello,
After a lot of BSOD crash (whea uncorrectable error), and test ... (I haven't overclocked my CPU/GPU). I reinstalled windows on several ssd, nvme...

I noticed that:
- SSD Samsung 860 QVO 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Corsair Force MP510 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 970 Plus 1to: Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 960 EVO 500go: Perfect! 0 crash

i just cloned my working "samsung 960 500go" disk to "samsung 970 plus 1to" disk. Unfortunately the disk crashes again.

System Spec:
i7 7700k - Asus Strix 270
RTX 3080
32GB RAM Corsair

Hello all,

today I installed the Nvidia drivers 460.89 and was able to start the game for the very first time ever. Before I only had the flatline crashes. Played for about two hours without any real problems and it was running quite well on medium settings on my GTX 970.
Now some hours later I wanted to start the game again and I am back to the flatline crash at start! I didn't change anything except that the PC was shutdown inbetween. Tried reinstalling the drivers without success. It's frustrating, these two hours were so nice and I can't understand why it won't start now.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 5930K on Asus X99 Deluxe
GeForce GTX 970
32GB RAM

Last edited:
Hello all,

today I installed the Nvidia drivers 460.89 and was able to start the game for the very first time ever. Before I only had the flatline crashes. Played for about two hours without any real problems and it was running quite well on medium settings on my GTX 970.
Now some hours later I wanted to start the game again and I am back to the flatline crash at start! I didn't change anything except that the PC was shutdown inbetween. Tried reinstalling the drivers without success. It's frustrating, these two hours were so nice and I can't understand why it won't start now.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 5930K on Asus X99 Deluxe
GeForce GTX 970
32GB RAM
Hi, I have similar experience. I changed some compatibility setting ans I was able to play normally. Next day (without any change in config) I got constant crashes right after loading saved position. It seems, it goes ok for sometime and then it crashes all the time.
Now I have similar thing with RT+DLSS turned off - I could play normally. Im curious if it will persist.

I went from playing perfectly the past weekend to game crashing the Sunday night just went I launch the game not even showing the logo of CDPR. But then on Monday, I played ok again and to my surprise yesterday I went back to crashing again at launching.
To be clear I read all the forums and did everything like reinstalling the game, the drivers, verify the files, underclocking the GPU and CPU, using the compatibility mode in every possible way, launching on admin mode, etc.
And just right now I discovered that if I LAUNCH THE GAME WITHOUT THE HDMI PLUG IN it will launch perfectly, then I plug it in back and play perfectly.
I also play on Geforze Now and I never had a crash there.
My pc is a laptop btw.
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-047XES
  • Processor Intel Core Coffeelake refresh i7-9750H+HM370
  • Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • Storage 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD
  • Display 15.6" FHD (1920*1080), IPS-Level 60Hz 45%NTSCThin Bezel, typ. 250nit , CR 700
  • Graphics card GTX 1650 MAX Q GDDR5 4GB
I connect my pc to a Toshiba tv

I hope that this will help you!!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have no issues with other high demanding games yet both The witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are a hit and miss. Sometimes I can play 8 hours without any issues and other times it hard resets my pc. Weirdly enough it never crashes to desktop. I'm playing on medium at 1440p.

Specs
mobo: MSI Z370 (bios: 7B45vA9)
cpu: 8700k (stock)
ram: 2x 8GB @ 3000Ghz (XMP)
gpu: 1080Ti FE (stock)
ssd: samsung 970 500GB (OS) + 970 1TB (games)
psu: Corsair AX760
mon: 2560x1440 @ 144hz

I don't know where to report this so I'm just going to write about it here and hope it's of any help.
The first 20-25 hours of gameplay i didnt have a single crash and during that whole time i was playing in borderless window mode. While tinkering around options to get better performance i switched to fullscreen and played like that for a bit. In a time span of around 20-30 minutes I got 2 crashes in random spots of the game. I switched back to borderless window and since then i didnt have those crashes anymore, so it has to be something about the game being fullscreen.
All of my graphics and other drivers are up to date. Hope this info is of some help for troubleshooting.

Hi,

someone having also the issue, that windows is crashing (first the game stops, then the screen turns dark and have to restart my computer) in certain spots in the world? Like i mean the exact spots in the world for example a crossing in the badlands or in the street in front of mindys shop. I am using an Ryzen 5 3600 XT and my GPU is running radeon 5500 XT 8GB , ram is 16 GB on Medium Settings (with 50 Fps). I already upgrade my drivers.

Jesus I'm glad I didn't give up on this game I have found a temp solution for this exact problem.
e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp(198)

Here is what you need to do.
  1. Make a user.ini file inside *Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc
  2. Open the user.ini file with notepad (I reccoment notepad++)
  3. Code:
    [Engine/Watchdog]
    ActiveIfDebuggerPresent = true
    ActiveIfDialogBlocking = false
    ActiveIfScriptBreakpointBlocking = false
    DumpJobExecutionContext = true
    Enabled = false
    KillProcess = false
    ThreadFrequencyHz = 15
    TimeoutSeconds = 604800
  4. I have attached a zip file with the user.ini file inside it if you are unsure how to make and edit a ini.
  5. Make a shortcut to your game exe *\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe
  6. Right click your newly made shortcut and add -watchdogTimeout 604800
  7. View attachment 11086244
  8. Launch and play the game using the new shortcut.

Little info on how it works - If your game is crashing due to the watchdog timeout error then this will force the watchdog timeout to be 5 days long unless you are going to have the game open for 5 days straight it can't crash this way again.

I really hope this helps anyone that was having this error and thank you to the people on who found launch options and hidden user.ini settings I just compiled them together.
Unfortunately this seems only to work of course when you get reported the watchdog error.
There is still no (possible) solution for "Gpu Crash for unknown reasons!"

Last edited:
All this is a completely random chaos. People are trying change all possible parameters and settings but the crashing is random, happens at start, save game, buy/sell inventory. In my case least frequent crashes happen while playing "normally", fighting, exploring, etc. It apperas that cooperation between CDPR and NVIDIA resulted in serious lost of control over those two products.

So for me the game runs fine, fps ain't bad. Sometimes i can play for hours straight with no crash. But when it start crashing it keeps crashing. It's something very strange, i tried alot of the fixes that are up on the internet but nothing's working. Mostly happens in cutscenes, i get or a black screen or a purple-ish screen, then my monitor's disconnected and then my mouse and keyboard. I have to hold the power button to shut it off and after that my pc takes a while to start up again. You guys think this is cause the games just unstable? Or could it be my rig? I get to the minimum requirements tho so idk.
My specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Memory: DDR4 8G
Graphics: Radeon RX 580 Dual Fan 8GB
Storage: HDD 1T SSD 256GB

- Make sure your PC is malware/ virus free - those may sometimes cause crashes.
- Disable any non-essential applications on your PC. This includes antivirus/anti-malware programs

To anyone still running Windows 7, I know your pain, I loved that OS as well and dislike Windows10...But due to my constant crashing and poor performance I tried every possible fix in here.
Today I said 'fuck it' and had a clean Win10 install.... guess what.

Crashes reduced (only played a few hours, could still crash), stability increased by a lot(less random stutter), and the FPS is a LOT smoother while the image looks crystal clear now on the same graphics options compared to before.
I didn't believe that before, because a lot of people here had similar crashes (random startup flatlines + gpu crashes mid play and on mirrors, my options menu was bugged out) while reportedly on a fully up to date Win10 install. But for me it really is like night and day right now. It's not perfect, but looks and starts like a decent game now.
I suggest to you to do a clean Win10 install as well, if you can. Even if it is just on another drive or partition than your Win7, it's worth a try. If you have a valid license you get a free upgrade still.

You can't, I repeat CAN'T play on Windows 7 well.

I trusted CDPR's requirement sheet but it's kind of a lie. I suggest to them to change that immediately since it really kind of is false advertising and creates a whole lot of problems.
They may improve stability over the next few months but we bought the game LAST WEEK. We wanted to play LAST WEEK. Release the game in February if it is ready in February, not in December, getting our hopes up and destroying your own rep. You're betraying everything you stood for with this EA BS...
I know the leaders of CDPR 'took responsibility' and 'apologized'.... but maybe they should instead take a good look in a mirror....and immediately crash upon doing so, being unable to play their own game. LMAO... I'm very sorry for your employees who must be crushed by the bad feedback and would like to 'apologize' for my honest tone.

Angry customer rant over. Have a nice day now, seriously. I'll go blast some scav gonks, finally.

I'm on Win 7 and my FPS is terrible. Even on "medium" settings. For reference, I can play Doom Eternal on Ultra-Nightmare (max) at well over 60 FPS smooth as silk (and literally ANY other game for that matter, it's definitely the use of the DX12 wrapper for Win 7 that's causing it to run like ass, but only changes to the game code can solve that OR giving us a DX11 mode if at all possible. I'm happy to take a few less graphical bells and whistles to get solid performance).

It's far too much of a headache for me to format and install Win 10 right now so I guess I'll be putting CP2077 on the back burner until the patches roll out. Pretty sad state of affairs but, meh, I sat on No Man's Sky for years and maybe now is the time for me to give that game another shout.

Hello everyone, this is really funny: I was running the game on a AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB and I totally thought it was the card that couldn't handle the cinematics, then I just bought a AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB to play this game and just found this thread hahahha.

Didn't understand much of that hex solution, is it the only way to overpass this problem?
thank you for any clarification
If you're having the AVX issue you can edit the exe manually OR download the mod on nexusmod and replace the new exe with the previous one. Don't forget to backup the original exe though.

And just right now I discovered that if I LAUNCH THE GAME WITHOUT THE HDMI PLUG IN it will launch perfectly, then I plug it in back and play perfectly.
Interesting.
It did not help me but changed the error

from

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x800089B2.

to

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
Message: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.

Funny.

Also, I changed the HDMI cable it did not help.

And 2 hours ago was news at least in Russian c2077 web site about workaround but now it is 404 :))

Top Bottom