Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
"I. Notably the crashes on launch occur on the older Windows 10 versions, e.g. version 1607 (Build 14393) and version 1703 (Build 15063). This is because the updated version of DirectX 12, that Cyberpunk 2077 uses, was released later than the mentioned builds. "

Could somebody explain whats is the critical difference between 2017_dx12_version and before_2017_dx12_version?
I want to add, that Win 10 version 1809 is also in red zone. While it is able to launch the game, constant DX12 crashes are definitely has a different opinion... And, yes, this version is unimprovable for the later builds cose it's like nothing to improve there.

Could somebody explain whats is the critical difference between 2017_dx12_version and before_2017_dx12_version?
Microsoft decided to arbitrarily exclude Windows versions past the creators update, Windows 10 x64 April 2018 Update (Version 1803 OS Build 17134) from DirectX updates including DirectX 12 ultimate which includes many features and optimizations that probably CP2077 uses. This means people running Enterprise versions of Windows (there are reasons to do this) that do not or cannot run the version updates are unable to launch these games or install DCH drivers.

Paradoxically, you can still install the latest drivers and play the latest games, but if the developer forgets to include what I believe are launch parameters for the "Standard" drivers, the game crashes on startup. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1238905-directx-12-debugging/?do=findComment&comment=11961737
I do not know if something about that workaround prevents CDPR from wanting to implement it or support it for CP2077, but I'm one of those users that needs them to try or I will never be able to play this game until I purchase a new PC and rebuild the OS. They are supporting last Gen consoles and market it for the Win7 version of DX12, so I'm not sure why intermediate versions of Win10 are unsupported, even though I know technically why they crash. I'm assuming is just ignorance regarding supported Windows 10 versions not being created equal by M$ fiat. I'm awaiting feedback from CDPR support that this is possible or possible so I know what to do with the game.

It's ridiculous that CDPR is almost blaming us for what's going on. Their message reads the following:

Crashes might occur on Windows 10 versions below 1909, please update your OS to the most recent version. Instructions on how to do it can be found.

Notably the crashes on launch occur on the older Windows 10 versions, e.g. version 1607 (Build 14393) and version 1703 (Build 15063). Cyberpunk 2077 uses DirectX 12 — the most recent version was released at the end of 2017, which is later than Windows 10 versions mentioned before.

Did they mention, anywhere in the System Requirements, that I'd need a specific version of Windows 10 to play the game? Am I the one who missed it, or did they just write that I'd need "Windows 10" to play the game.

Well, I do have Windows 10 (version 1607) and I am unable to play the game, and don't happen to want to upgrade my OS version due to work related constrictions.

Of what's written, CDPR knew that older versions of Windows do not use the latest DirectX 12 but they didn't bother to test and make the game run on these versions, and also didn't mention it to us in the System Requirements.

How is it that Cyberpunk 2077 is the only game that I'm unable to play on my Windows 10 version? It seems that the other game developers do mean "Windows 10" when they say "Windows 10", not "Windows 10 Latest Version Ever".

Last edited:
I'm awaiting feedback from CDPR support that this is possible or possible so I know what to do with the game.
Is it possible to keep me or every other players here posted about this feedback? I am definitely interested in the same answer.

They are supporting last Gen consoles and market it for the Win7 version of DX12, so I'm not sure why intermediate versions of Win10 are unsupported, even though I know technically why they crash. I'm assuming is just ignorance regarding supported Windows 10 versions not being created equal by M$ fiat. I'm awaiting feedback from CDPR support that this is possible or possible so I know what to do with the game.
Thanx for the info.
Please post here if support team answers smth about that.
I think the next patch will be defining for me
Post automatically merged:

It's ridiculous

This is the reason they didn't publish the game for 8 years: they were waiting for the right win10 version 😁:LOL:

Last edited:
Im running on GOG with patch 1.04. I am having constantly the same flatline issue every single time.
I have used DDU to remove all that data.. Then after that I have also updated my drivers to the current version of 460.89.

SPECS:
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 8GB RAM
OS build: Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.4104)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (6 processors)
Running on SSD - Samsung 870 QVO 1TB = butt loads of free space: 700 GB
Running Direct X12

Last Windows Update: (KB4593226) DEC 9, 2020

This is what I got from the report after the crash. It seems obvious that the crash reason is my GPU...
Can you tell me what I have missed? and is there anything I can do to resolve this issue once and for all?

Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp
Line: 40

"uptimeSeconds":2
"stopThreadID":528
"exceptionCode":0x80000003
"processID":2768
"Engine/CommitFailedErrorCode@1#TID=0":"0"
"Configuration/Name@2#TID=0":"FINAL"
"Configuration/Name2@3#TID=0":"FINAL"
"Game/Patch@7#TID=0":"1.04"
"Engine/OOM@4#TID=0":"false"
"GlobalMode/IsClosing@5#TID=0":"false"
"GlobalMode/IsGame@17#TID=0":"true"
"Jobs/InitParam/MaxLatentJobs@8#TID=0":"131072"
"Jobs/InitParam/MaxCriticalPathJobs@9#TID=0":"65536"
"Jobs/InitParam/MaxImmediateJobs@10#TID=0":"2048"
"Jobs/InitParam/WorkerThreadStackSizeKB@11#TID=0":"1024"
"Jobs/InitParam/MaxThreads@12#TID=0":"27"
"Jobs/InitParam/AllJobsCriticalPath@14#TID=0":"false"
"Jobs/InitParam/UseJobDebugger@13#TID=0":"false"
"Jobs/Dispatcher/NumDispatcherThreads@15#TID=0":"5"
"Jobs/Dispatcher/MaxHWConcurrency@16#TID=0":"6"
"Gpu/Device/Name@52#TID=0":"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
"Gpu/Device/Vendor@53#TID=0":"Nvidia"
"Gpu/Device/DriverVersion@54#TID=0":"Nvidia v 46089 [r460_74]"
"Gpu/Device/TotalMemoryMB@51#TID=0":"6055"
"Gpu/Device/UsedMemoryMB@61#TID=0":"23"
"Gpu/GpuCrashed@56#TID=0":"true"
"Engine/InitParams/InteropStartingPort@18#TID=0":"0"
"Engine/InitParams/RenderPreset@19#TID=0":"1"
"Engine/InitParams/QualityLevelName@20#TID=0":"None"
"Engine/InitParams/TextureQualityLevelName@21#TID=0":"High"
"Engine/InitParams/WatchdogTimeoutSecondsOverride@22#TID=0":"0"
"Engine/InitParams/ScriptsSilentCompilation@23#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/InitParams/ScriptsSilentValidation@24#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/InitParams/TweakDBSilentValidation@25#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/InitParams/PvdDumpToFile@26#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/InitParams/ProfilerEnabled@27#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/InitParams/ShowVersionWatermark@28#TID=0":"true"
"Engine/InitParams/WindowCaption@29#TID=0":""
"Engine/PC/SystemName@30#TID=0":"Windows 10 Enter...#<truncated>#"
"Engine/PC/SystemVersion@31#TID=0":"10.0.14393"
"Engine/SafeInit@48#TID=0":"AsyncMaterialCompiler"
"Engine/IsHeadless@33#TID=0":"false"
"Engine/VersionWatermark@32#TID=0":"3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2 Dec 10 2020 14:01:38 (FINAL) Total memory: 4398084096 bytes "
"Engine/Scripts/PrimaryBlobModifiedDate@40#TID=0":"132526714469678298"
"Engine/Scripts/FallbackBlobModifiedDate@41#TID=0":"0"
"Engine/Scripts/BlobPathUsed@42#TID=0":"Loaded"
"Engine/Scripts/ShouldCompileScripts@39#TID=0":"true"
"Engine/Scripts/Loaded@43#TID=0":"true"
"##CrashDump##/DumpCrashDataSeconds":"0"

Last edited:
Im running on GOG with patch 1.04. I am having constantly the same flatline issue every single time.
I have used DDU to remove all that data.. Then after that I have also updated my drivers to the current version of 460.89.

SPECS:
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 8GB RAM
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (6 processors)
Running on SSD - Samsung 870 QVO 1TB = butt loads of free space: 700 GB
Running Direct X12

Last Windows Update: (KB4593226) DEC 9, 2020

This is what I got from the report after the crash. It seems obvious that the crash reason is my GPU...
Can you tell me what I have missed? and is there anything I can do to resolve this issue once and for all?

!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp
Line: 40

"uptimeSeconds":2
"stopThreadID":528
"exceptionCode":0x80000003
"processID":2768
"Jobs/Dispatcher/NumDispatcherThreads@15#TID=0":"5"
"Jobs/Dispatcher/MaxHWConcurrency@16#TID=0":"6"
"Gpu/Device/Name@52#TID=0":"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
"Gpu/Device/TotalMemoryMB@51#TID=0":"6055"
"Gpu/Device/UsedMemoryMB@61#TID=0":"23"
"Gpu/GpuCrashed@56#TID=0":"true"
"Engine/InitParams/TextureQualityLevelName@21#TID=0":"High"
"Engine/PC/SystemName@30#TID=0":"Windows 10 Enter...#<truncated>#"
"Engine/PC/SystemVersion@31#TID=0":"10.0.14393"
"Engine/SafeInit@48#TID=0":"AsyncMaterialCompiler"
"Engine/VersionWatermark@32#TID=0":"3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2 Dec 10 2020 14:01:38 (FINAL) Total memory: 4398084096 bytes "
"Engine/Scripts/PrimaryBlobModifiedDate@40#TID=0":"132526714469678298"
I am just curious. Are you able to play the game or does it flatline right on launching the game after you click on start?
The AMD Phenom II should not be able to run the game at all...

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

This has been plaguing me for the past 2 days now, fully tired of it. I've tried rolling back drivers, updating from windows 10 1909 to 20H2, downloading the Polish language version, downgrading all my graphics options, reinstalling the game, running the exe as admin and not, deleting the cache, deleting the user configs, verifying the steam files. Nothing has worked for me, Steam shows I've played 7 hours, my game save says 1 hour. My reportqueue is just over 1gb in size now.

Game has been crashing all over the place at random intervals, sometimes it won't launch, sometimes it will crash in the loading screen, sometimes it'll crash as soon as the game starts, sometimes it crashes when I do anything at all in the game, and sometimes it works absolutely perfectly and runs like a dream for about 5 minutes and then crashes.

I'm running Ryzen 5, 1660ti, 16gb and installed on my C:SSD under X86

Has CDPR acknowledged this specific bug yet? Or anyone else have a successful method I've not tried? Because I'm out of options, and I'm not particularly hopeful for the 1.05 since the hotfix didn't fix the issue for me either.

Just an update, after major hassles and CDPR support telling me to download 20h2 which I had done just after sending my support request with still no success.

I tried, to play again yesterday after another fresh install of the game. After which it crashed 3x and had one BSOD. After the BSOD all my other games were in the same unplayable state I found cyberpunk. Even though I was playing Stellaris, and Alien Isolation as Cyberpunk was installing. The only logical conclusion I could make was that somehow cyberpunk wrecked something.

So I did cleanups, memory tests, uninstalling and reinstalling all gpu drivers, the same for dx12. I'd ran sfc health restores. And finally reinstalling windows, after the windows install I decided to reinstall Stellaris and Alien Isolation as a test bed to ensure they were working fine. And they were working absolutely fine.

I go and install Cyberpunk again after ensuring these games worked fine, and again loads of crashing all over the place. Same as before, crashing on startup crashing on load crashing ingame. I then manage after 5 attempts to load into the game, the phone rings and ANOTHER BSOD. (GPU Crash for unknown reasons) I load up Alien Isolation, now just as before thats crashing AFTER a cybepunk BSOD.

So I check all my windows logs, and found despite Cyberpunk telling me the GPU (See quote for error)is the problem. That there are random memory 0#0000008 crashes following my BSOD during cyberpunk (BSOD message says problem and needs to restart) Given my system is only 6 months old, and I know from memtest that my memory is fine. I managed to source one of the ramsticks that is responsible for the error.

I removed that stick, and followed up with yet another fresh install of windows to be sure and reinstalled CP and Stellaris and Alien Isolation for my test bed. Despite now only running on 8GB the previous titles are again, fine and now Cyberpunk ran for 1 hour flawlessly.

Did Cyberpunk **** my memory module? Seeing as everything was absolutely as it should be on every other game, and the Cyberpunk BSOD I started getting was then causing everything to crash? Fresh install, back to normal, cyberpunk BSOD again and everything is wrecked. Couldn't tell you 100% for sure.

All I can say is, that ramstick was thrown into another older machine as the sole memory module and it works fine in that.

TL;DR Fixed GPU crash for unknown reasons, in my opinion the game had wrecked something. Ordered another ramstick to see if its gonna crash and wreck my system again once I install that.

Did Cyberpunk **** my memory module? Seeing as everything was absolutely as it should be on every other game, and the Cyberpunk BSOD I started getting was then causing everything to crash? Fresh install, back to normal, cyberpunk BSOD again and everything is wrecked. Couldn't tell you 100% for sure.

It doesn't have to mean that, I got same errors in both Cyberpunk and Overwatch (and I can say safely that Witcher 3 crashed all the same) however there are games that are absolutely fine even with RAM errors (I've ran Dota 2, and I've played Minecraft, Factorio and Hades with no errors whatsoever)

So yeah, computers nowadays are completely bonkers, that's what I've learned in last 7 days.

I'm having major issues with the came constantly crashing. Today I tried playing it for only an hour because in that hour I managed to crash 8 times. 8 crashes in a single hour. The game is literally- not figuratively, but literally unplayable for me because of this. There is no rhyme or reason to the crashes, either. They're entirely at random.

I have done everything. I've updated drivers. I've reverted to older drivers. I've updated Windows. I've uninstalled certain Windows updates. I've disabled background programs. I've disabled overlays. I've tried running the game directly out of the install folder to bypass Steam. I've even turned to using modified .exe's. Nothing works.

And no, I don't get anything like this in a single other game. Cyberpunk is the ONLY game that misbehaves on me.

I'm really at my wit's end. I've been trying so hard to enjoy the game, and the rare moments I actually get to play it for any significant amount of time I absolutely love it. I just can't keep doing this. I spend as much time recovering from crashes as I actually get to play.

Almost a week and about 60 crashes later(yes 60 crashes since release), I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I've just so disheartened because I want SO BADLY to enjoy the game. I just don't know what to do any more other than to just not play.

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 2080 ti

I'm having major issues with the came constantly crashing. Today I tried playing it for only an hour because in that hour I managed to crash 8 times. 8 crashes in a single hour. The game is literally- not figuratively, but literally unplayable for me because of this. There is no rhyme or reason to the crashes, either. They're entirely at random.

I have done everything. I've updated drivers. I've reverted to older drivers. I've updated Windows. I've uninstalled certain Windows updates. I've disabled background programs. I've disabled overlays. I've tried running the game directly out of the install folder to bypass Steam. I've even turned to using modified .exe's. Nothing works.

And no, I don't get anything like this in a single other game. Cyberpunk is the ONLY game that misbehaves on me.

I'm really at my wit's end. I've been trying so hard to enjoy the game, and the rare moments I actually get to play it for any significant amount of time I absolutely love it. I just can't keep doing this. I spend as much time recovering from crashes as I actually get to play.

Almost a week and about 60 crashes later(yes 60 crashes since release), I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I've just so disheartened because I want SO BADLY to enjoy the game. I just don't know what to do any more other than to just not play.

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 2080 ti
only 60? i have more then 150 now...kekw

We're not hired to fix bugs. We've purchased a product that is faulty.

It's perfectly fine that things will get sorted over time, but the producers do deserve every bit of bitterness and upset that is
comming their way, because they sold us a faulty product.

They should instead have sold it as "early access".
Then we'd have the choice, if we wanted to be bothered with all the issues in this thread (and the ones you mention).
Then we'd have nothing to complain about, since we'd expect there to be bugs, issues and all sorts of crashes.

But they didn't. They sold us a faulty product.
YES!! Preach! It should be labeled EARLY ACCESS because with THIS MANY BUGs it is literally UNPLAYABLE. Should be EA with a EA PRICE!!! NOT 90$ AUD for .... THIS.

I crash every 20 mins without fail with some variation of

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
Message: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.
File: <Unknown>(0)

or

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Was hoping to have heard something useful from CDRP by now

CDPR did not test/expect LTSB. There are almost a dozen versions of Windows 10, most of them technically in support.
All that remains to be seen now is if they fail to make the small changes to support it. The game will never work for you unless they change it since your OS cannot update without a rebuild.

I crash every 20 mins without fail with some variation of

Expression: EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)
Message: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.

or

Was hoping to have heard something useful from CDRP by now
This is the error I get, insta crash on 'play' cant even get into the game to even make a character.

!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Unhandled exception
File: <Unknown>
Line: 0

"uptimeSeconds":4
"stopThreadID":12544
"exceptionCode":0xC0000005
"processID":23420
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/NumThrottleTokensAcquired@31029#TID=0":"1"
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/NumThrottleTokensSoftLimit@31028#TID=0":"4294967295"
"Gpu/RayTracing/Enabled@61#TID=0":"false"
"Jobs/Dispatcher/NumDispatcherThreads@15#TID=0":"7"
"Jobs/Dispatcher/MaxHWConcurrency@16#TID=0":"8"
"Gpu/Device/Name@52#TID=0":"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"
"Gpu/Device/TotalMemoryMB@51#TID=0":"4043"
"Gpu/Device/UsedMemoryMB@31038#TID=0":"74"
"Engine/InitParams/TextureQualityLevelName@21#TID=0":"Low"
"Engine/PC/SystemName@30#TID=0":"Windows 10 Home"
"Engine/PC/SystemVersion@31#TID=0":"10.0.19042"
"Engine/SafeInit@3341#TID=0":"InkSystem"
"Engine/VersionWatermark@32#TID=0":"3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2 Dec 10 2020 14:01:38 (FINAL) Total memory: 9629171712 bytes "
"Engine/Scripts/PrimaryBlobModifiedDate@40#TID=0":"132523871505262303"

NO idea what this means, cant reach support or even figure out how to make a ticket for support.

Top Bottom