Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
I had previously enabled Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Win10 and was seeing frequent access violation crashes. Disabling this setting seems to have stopped crashes for me (so far)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 393
I had previously enabled Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Win10 and was seeing frequent access violation crashes. Disabling this setting seems to have stopped crashes for me (so far)
I dont have that option on my PC.

I'm having major issues with the came constantly crashing. Today I tried playing it for only an hour because in that hour I managed to crash 8 times. 8 crashes in a single hour. The game is literally- not figuratively, but literally unplayable for me because of this. There is no rhyme or reason to the crashes, either. They're entirely at random.

I have done everything. I've updated drivers. I've reverted to older drivers. I've updated Windows. I've uninstalled certain Windows updates. I've disabled background programs. I've disabled overlays. I've tried running the game directly out of the install folder to bypass Steam. I've even turned to using modified .exe's. Nothing works.

And no, I don't get anything like this in a single other game. Cyberpunk is the ONLY game that misbehaves on me.

I'm really at my wit's end. I've been trying so hard to enjoy the game, and the rare moments I actually get to play it for any significant amount of time I absolutely love it. I just can't keep doing this. I spend as much time recovering from crashes as I actually get to play.

Almost a week and about 60 crashes later(yes 60 crashes since release), I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I've just so disheartened because I want SO BADLY to enjoy the game. I just don't know what to do any more other than to just not play.

CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 2080 ti

This is a total stab in the dark, but are you running off an SSD? I had similar problems (on a Samsung T7 SSD) - crashes so frequent, I couldn't understand how anyone was playing the game, until I found out I could update the firmware on it. Since the update, almost all of my crashes have gone away. I had no idea that SSDs even had firmware - apparently they all do (m2, internal, external).

CDPR did not test/expect LTSB. There are almost a dozen versions of Windows 10, most of them technically in support.
All that remains to be seen now is if they fail to make the small changes to support it. The game will never work for you unless they change it since your OS cannot update without a rebuild.

So at this point, I need to have a different Win 10 version/build.. Which would be most suitable?

Does my CPU pose any threat? Some think that it shouldn't work with an AMD Phenom II at all
Post automatically merged:

I am just curious. Are you able to play the game or does it flatline right on launching the game after you click on start?
The AMD Phenom II should not be able to run the game at all...
It flatlines on both relaunch and exe during launch.

Last edited:
Context: Playing through the Ghost Town mission on PC, you get her car back and agree to go take out Nash at his hideout. Get killed a bunch of times during this section for a few reasons:

1) I'm on Hard difficulty and I need to Git Gud because a single bullet or grenade will kill me. (not a bug)
2) It is darker than my sense of humor where Panam decides to park before we're immediately pinned down under enemy fire, making it difficult to get your bearings the first few times.
3) Every time you reload the checkpoint, you sit through the drive-in sequence while sitting in the driver's seat, therefore inside Panam's model, making V take extra time moving into the passenger seat, before finally exiting to the right of the car. This happens *every* time after the first time.
4) The pieces of cover immediately surrounding Panam's parking spot seem rather inconsistent in whether or not they block incoming fire.
5) Panam seems active at the beginning of the fight but has a tendency to stop what she's doing to loiter in an area to the left of the car, despite combat still happening.

Wonder if anyone else is having these issues.
Are you seriously bitching about gameplay bug while everybody else can not even play the game at all?

My game is crashing to desktop under 5 minutes of gameplay saying "WHOA! CyberPunk 2077 has flatlined!".
I am unable to play the game and I tried various fixed.
I am seriously out of ideas and I need your help.

Code:
Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.3217599  P4CL: 4158334  Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp
Line: 40

The first crash dump states that the game was using 12GB+ of RAM (unclear if it is VRAM or not) before it crashed if I am not wrong:
Code:
"Engine/VersionWatermark@32#TID=0":"3.0.3217599  P4CL: 4158334  Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2  Dec 10 2020 14:01:38  (FINAL) Total memory: 12565938176 bytes "

Full error logs are here:

I tried to fix this with the following:
Hardware:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING (with latest drivers 460.89)
  • RAM: 16GB 3600Mhz CL16
  • STORAGE: SSD
  • PLATFORM: GOG
Notes:
I am on Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2 version)

DxDiag on pastebin.com

TL;DR:
GPU crash fix: As some have mentioned in this thread (the last one was Sam726627), the cause seems to be one of two RAM sticks for me as well.

Without the "faulty" one I was able to play for 2-3 hours last evening. I was afraid that the problem would occur again today, but I was able to load my savegame. While I'm writing this Cyberpunk is in the background and still running. It also does not matter what graphics settings I make. Everything on Ultra (including DLSS, RTX, 144hz) is just fine.

Now that I have troubleshoot since December 10th I want to just play a little. But I definitely will test the RAM a bit more. Maybe it makes a different if the "faulty" one is on DIMMB2? And I also want to test if it makes a difference if I activate some services again.

Before I also had GPU crashes like many others . I have not even managed to come past the character creation. My ReportQueue is 138 items big so far. I've tried everything from the support pages and almost everything described in this thread and elsewhere in the internet.

My rig (from 04/2020):
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
MB: MSI Gaming Edge WIFI x570
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4-3600 16GBx2
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio

Hey guys i had random crashes too, and i think i found my solution. It's so stupid; i play with a PS4 Controller on my Asus ROG Zephyrus Laptop RTX 2080 32GB Ram, so this goes out to all the players who use controllers:
If you are running DS4WINDOWS in the background, TURN IT OFF or don't start it, and use the DS4 support in STEAM big picture mode ONLY. Yesterday i could play almost an hour without crashes, had no time to test it longer. Before that, i had random crashes every 2-5 minutes.
I hope i can help some of you guys with this info (and i hope it wasn't posted before in here)

The only crashes I get are when I turn on RTX, 2080Ti here, underclocked it using precision x1, by 50mhz and game is stable, but, I dont like having to do this.

This is a total stab in the dark, but are you running off an SSD? I had similar problems (on a Samsung T7 SSD) - crashes so frequent, I couldn't understand how anyone was playing the game, until I found out I could update the firmware on it. Since the update, almost all of my crashes have gone away. I had no idea that SSDs even had firmware - apparently they all do (m2, internal, external).

Same here, I was surprised that my motherboard also had it's own firmware next to the BIOS itself. I'd suggest everyone should check out if their hardware's firmware is updated, sad thing is I don't think there's program (like CpuZ, GpuZ and similar) that will show you what version of it is installed.

Hello, so I was in the same situation as the whole thread :
- non-AVX CPU
- Windows 7

Here are the issues so far :
- Resolution not scaling to the screen
- game crash after tutorial (exit the bar / leave the chair / ...)
- random gpu crashes

Here are the things I have followed and discovered here so far :

1) Game ran, but after a GPU crash, cannot start past the CD Project Red Logo
- Restart your PC -> the driver completely crashed, and only a fresh reboot can solve it
2) I rebooted but still happened
- Try to remove "GamePipelineLibrary.cache" from your appdata folder (fixed a couple of time for me)
(If you still can't get past, I have no solution)
3) I have a critical error while exiting the tutorial
- Apply the AVX patch found in this thread (previous replies)
4) I have a watchdog error
- Apply the patch found in this thread (previous replies)

Here's the thing I discovered myself to reduce (not fix) the GPU crash :
- Fine tune the memory pool to your GPU memory pool
- Run a CMD and do the following "net stop uxsms" (when you have finished to play, don't forget to "net start uxsms")
- launch the game from its directory

Pros :
- Lowered my crash issue : I can play for 4 hours now, before it was 20 minutes before crash
- The driver can actually recover without rebooting the OS, so the crash is less annoying.

Cons :
- Somewhat interfere with the VSYNC, lots of tearing, like if the vsync was deactivated
- Plummeting the framerate (half it on some place, but hey, it's playable now)

Here are my specs :
- core i7 870 @ 4GHZ
- 16GB Ram
- RTX 2070
- Win7 SP1

Just in case this helps anyone else.

I am able to mitigate the crashes now.

If I get one, i simply restart my pc and load Cyberpunk from the bin folder and not from GoG.

It appears I can only launch cyberpunk crash free once every boot of the PC...No idea why but it works for me.

1608299436694.png

Got this on the last part of the "The Heist" Mision, i had alot of textures problems ,and other things but whit this shit, i cant keep playing , it crashes every time i try to play.
I started a new game , and i got the same shit in the same place. I WANT TO PLAY THE FKING GAME , and i found more bugs and errors than NPCS . U_U.

I don't know if it has already been said, I haven't read the 100 pages. I had regular crashes with the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) error

I used DS4Windows which ultimately is not useful and since I no longer run it I no longer have crashes
Thanks for mentioning DS4. I stopped running it and switched to my Logitech controller. No more crashes!! Legend.

Hey all, after a week of trouble shooting I have finally found a bandage fix for my particular GPU crash.

I would get crashes every 5 to 10 min with the “gpuapidx12error.cpp”. It was random every time, no connection to what I was doing in game.

Game settings:

Preset to Ultra
Resolution 1080p
FPS is uncapped
Vsync off, I’m using Gsync

My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 1700x
Corsair 16gb 3200mhz (XMP enabled)
EVGA 1080ti Kingpin
500gb Samsung EVO 850 M.2. Nvme
Windows 10 Home 20H2

What I tried:

-Returning CPU to stock clocks
-Disabling Steam and Nvidia overlays
-Updating Windows 10
-Updating/reinstalling Nvidia drivers
-Reinstalling Windows 10
-Verifying game files
-Installing Polish language (recommended on a website)
-Reducing the Hz on my monitor to 60
-Turning off all programs in the background
-Launching the game from the bin folder as administrator
-Editing the memory pool size
-Playing with compatibility settings
-Setting every setting in windows and nvidia control panel to performance
-And I’m sure I missed a whole bunch others I’ve tried. Basically everything in this thread.

Solution: After someone mentioned their GPU was over boosting, I ran MSI afterburner while playing the game. Sure enough it was pegged at 2055 to 2100mhz! Knowing my cards limits these speeds would crash on any game. So I added a -150 underclock to the core, and left the memory speed as is.

This actually worked for a good 20 min and the core clock was now running at 1850 to 1900mhz BUT now I had a different issue, the game would crash by artifacting. I was no longer getting the flatlined error. After a few tries I noticed it only happens when the GPU would reach 78+F which would only happen during dialog scenes surprisingly.

So now the only way I’m able to run the game is with my fan speed pegged to 100% and a -150 underclock on the core which kept temps between 68 to 75F. This is definitely not normal or ideal for a freaking 1080Ti kingpin to suffer just to play this game at 1080p but at least It plays now… although my ears hurt from the fan noise after 2hrs of gameplay.

I'm getting the game loading up fine at first but it crashes on all 3 story modes at the same point in each mode.

Nomad - After the prologue the news reel introducing plays and when I get to the end I'm in the car and the game will crash - every single time.
Street - Straight after the meeting in the bar, as soon as I walk outside, the game crashes - every single time.
Corpo - When going to visit the boss, as soon as I sit down at the desk the game crashes - every single time.

So far I've done the following:

Updated windows
Updated graphics driver
uninstalled and reinstalled all the C++ packages.
I've lowered the screen resolution right down, and put graphics on the lowest setting.
Game is on Steam so I've checked the integrity of the files and that's all good.
Also turned off the GeForce Experience overlay.
Also tried in a clean boot mode.
I've followed the help and FAQ pages on the main site but still not making any progress.

I'm running a Windows 10 with a Xeon CPU and a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. 24gb of RAM total.

I'm at a total loss as to what else to do next as so far, I've spent £50 and quite a few hours messing around with the PC to make no improvment at all. With all the bugs on this game I'm not sure if it's the game or my PC that's at fault.

Anyone got any advice or shall I just sit back and hope a patch comes out to sort this.

WOW! THAT FINALLY SOLVED GPU RELATED CRASHES! Over 2 hours of gaming without a sinlge crash! Thanks Sashwash!

UPD: spent over 5 hrs in game, couple of hours just in pause mode in the menu and not a single crash! At least for me the issue was definitely in hardware acceleration,so after a week of suffering and maybe 200 crashes I can finally enjoy the game!

BTW I'm running the game on Dell XPS 9500+GTX 1080 via eGPU (ASUS ROG STATION PRO).

Last edited:
Top Bottom