Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
still getting the gpu crash immediatly when I press launch. Haven't been able to play since launch day.
specs are:
ryzen 5 5600x
rtx 2080 super FE
32gbz ddr4 3600mhz
game is on a Samsung 970 pro nvme

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant

I know this may not help anyone else, but I wanted to say the "disable all overlays" advice helped me GREATLY. But not until I got EVERY. LAST. ONE.

Disable Riva Tuner, EVGA Precision XOC, Discord, the XBOX gamebar, the GeForce Experience overlay that appears when you press ALT+Z (by default), ALL OF IT has to be dead. I went from crashing every ten minutes to having one crash in 4 hours, which was still an unknown GPU error flatline, but the game is actually playable now.

In my case, I hadn't even though it could be an interaction with Nvidia software, but yeah, Cyberpunk was clearly tested on machines running ZERO extra software -- which makes sense, that's where you start testing.

Beware the overlays.

Listen moderator, why must we keep being ignored about the AVX issue? We have to tweak the games's executable with a hex editor and change two values for the game to be fine.... I need to do this everytime there will be an update WHY NO AVX FIX?
Hotfix 1.05 appears to try and address it.
Removed the use of AVX instruction set thus fixing crashes occurring at the end of the Prologue on processors not supporting AVX.
Hope that fixes your issue.

I also had a problem with "r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)" on my PC.

my PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mainboard: PRIME B350-PLUS
RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz dual (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15)
Monitor: 1920x1080/60Hz on DVI
I have game on: TOSHIBA HDWD120 2000 GB

I have been struggling for days, but I have found a reasonably good solution to my problem. (without any crash for 6 hours)
1. In the NVIDIA Control Panel I have everything set to default. (after pure reinstallation of drivers with DDU, Latest drivers)
2. In Windows "Graphics settings" I have set Cyberpunk 2077 to high performance. (With "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" disabled)
3. Cyberpunk2077.exe with "Run this program as an administrator" enabled and "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7" (Windows 8 didn't work well, but Windows 7 is fine)
4. In 'Video', I have VSync turned off, and set 'Windowed Mode' to 'Windowed Borderless' at a lower resolution. (1600x900)
5. In "Gameplay" I also have "Slow HDD Mode" on
6. After setting all the settings, I reset the game and removed the cache from "(...)AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077".
After that, I can finally play the game.
I hope that I have helped in some way and I wish you all good luck in solving your problems. o7

EDIT: I also use the "PerformanceOverhaulCyberpunk" with disabled antialiasing and "async_compute".

Update. I disabled all running overlays (Discord, GoG, NVidia) and haven't had a crash in two hours now. Discord specifically kept popping over and over again like it was failing to launch. Running OC'd CPU and GPU with no issues now. If you have been getting the " EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D) " error it may be related to the overlays you have running.

My System
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC 4.2 Ghz)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra (+500 memory, +140 Core Clock, 450 watt Bios)
RAM: Patriot 16GB DDR4 4000
SSD: Intel 660P 1TB, WD Blue 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair RM850

Do you have Direct X 12?

On dxdiag it shows me I have DX11, and after a bit of research, I didn't find how to install an official and standalone version of DX12 on Win7.
I might be wrong but isn't the game supposed to "emulate" DX12 on Windows 7 because it isn't actually available on this OS ?

Anyway, besides some crashes while in Inventory menu, the game seems to work for now.

Had 70 hours in before 1.04, now continue, new game, or load results in an instant flatline.

Version=1
EventType=REDEngineErrorReport
EventTime=0
ReportIdentifier=ffffffff-ffffffff-00000001-00000000
Sig[0].Name=StackHash
Sig[0].Value=0x0000000000000000
Sig[1].Name=ErrorReason
Sig[1].Value=Unhandled exception
Sig[2].Name=InternalVersion
Sig[2].Value=3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.1
LoadedModule[?]=<Unknown>
AppName=Cyberpunk2077.exe

Just fixed this by disabling all of the various ingame overlays, for me it was Nvidia (geforce experience settings), steam overlay (game properties in steam) and Xbox gamebar (Windows Settings).

Im back ingame now :)

Last edited:
Initially my PC was only crashing (hard locking) in Cyberpunk - where I logically thought it must be the game due to day 1 issues. It never crashed in any other games before this.

Lowering my GPU power by 10% and returning the rest of the clocks to default (CPU & RAM) seemed to help and I managed to play some of the game; but gave up as it was too unstable and still hard locked occasionally.

In the last couple of days my PC has been hard locking outside of any games and also in other games when the GPU was downclocked by 10% or even 15%. Oddly it was having issues rebooting after a hard lock which is unusual for my machine. That made me suspicious of the hard drive; which is relatively new and had a fresh OS install at the time of purchase.

I had previously tried all other solutions to Cyberpunk crashes to no avail - I noted that others had advised reinstalling Windows solved the issue.

I did some digging in my event log and it seems my boot drive (Samsung EVO Plus 970) had a bad block.

I ran a chkdsk and it repaired the bad block; I also ran sfc /scannow and this found and repaired some issues with the host OS; I also ran a DSIM check to ensure it was healthy. I also ran chkdsk on my other drives and no errors were found.

To add to the probability of fixing the issue I also downclocked my GPU by 20% and retested, I just managed to play for 2 hours so I'm hoping the stability is back. Will retest tomorrow as it is playing fine even downclocked and I could live with this for now- I'm going to go for another 2 hour plus session and if ok I will revert the GPU power to normal to see if it suddenly becomes unstable. If not; I guess it was the OS at fault and it's fixed. If it does become unstable when reverting the GPU power back to normal I might have a faulty card or an incorrectly mounted water block (I do doubt it though as it's been running fine for over a year).

So in short, might be a good idea to check the OS.

My System
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Cooling: 1 x 360mm EKWB Coolstream XE Rad / 1 x 480mm XSPC Rad
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 7
CPU: Water cooled AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4Ghz (Stock speed for diagnostics - core boost disabled)
GPU: Water cooled Radeon RX5700 XT (Downclocked 20% for diagnostics)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Pro RGB @ 2133Mhz (Stock speed for diagnostics)
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 Plus NvME SSD 512Gb , OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256Gb, Seagate Ironwolf 6TB
Power Supply: Corsair RM750

Last edited:
So I'm still following this and trying the occasional tweak, but I just noticed something that may be blindingly obvious to others, but I missed it. Cyberpunk 2077 is a 64-bit program, but it's installed in the 32-bit program directory by default (C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077). I just uninstalled it, and am moving it now, but my internet connection is so slow (satellite in the country) that it may take a few days before the reinstall goes through and I wanted to document this.

I'm trying to fix the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) problem where the game will not even start (no logo or anything). I originally noticed it when I was trying the DEP exemption fix and it kept telling me the executable was a 64-bit and I couldn't add it to the DEP exemptions.

Hopefully this will help someone ( like me). I'll report back in a few days if someone doesn't check it sooner.

Cyberpunk crashes after pressing "Play" in CD Project Red launcher.
How to fix it?

I tried restarting PC and installing latest Nvidia driver. It didn't help

Spec:
Windows 10 LTSB. Steam version. Build 5946255
Nvidia 1060 6Gb

I am having the same issue - also don't want to uninstall/reinstall because my internet speed is terribly slow. Seems to be a trend.

I have been messing around with my displays - plugging and unplugging monitors... Might be causing some issue????
idk.

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
File: <Unknown>(0)

ERRORCDPR.png

Last edited:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Display Memory: 16159 MB
and my game crashes when rtx is on. I can load in the game and play for 30s and the flatlined crash happened LOL. I updated all drives, installed the game a few times and reinstalled my Windows system but nothing worked. (I am using the medium quality rtx)

PC:
-Frequent PC Crashing when cp2077 installed on nvme SSD (my computer auto reboot itself, the game has no chance to produce bug report) how to reproduce? just ride on v's car about 5 minutes the computer will goes into black screen and restarted , during game startup a second later computer will reboot itself.
-Occasionally PC Crashing when cp2077 installed on HDD sata (my computer auto reboot itself my computer auto reboot itself, the game has no chance to produce bug report) how to reproduce? just ride on v's car about 5 minutes the computer will goes into black screen and restarted , during game startup a second later computer will reboot itself.
-NPC Citizen animation sometimes shaking when sitting on bench
-Jackie passing through closed elevator (The rescue quest)
-Leaving V's car for a long time for some point car is floating
-V's car hard to accelerate on Parking lot of Lizzies Bar
-Leaving V's car on roadway and leaving for a long time traffic will generate, the A.I not making a decision to escape into situation. Solution V's car must auto park somewhere on inner field away from roadway or make V's car dissapear , car will only show if V's calling it
-Wanted / Police System a.i broken on some point police will spawn random behind you, police will shoot you without doing anything and running few blocks they will not chase you. Hope for reworks on Police system with hot pursuit like feature in future :)
-Quality of life changes must have ability to toggle walk and re assigned skip dialogue and crouch button on controllers
-When visiting V's apartment and using the mirror V's goes into bald w/ head gear equipped
-Ability to toggle on/off main mission route guide lines
-Maybe adding delay on interaction on object to avoid mission bug like retrieval of "illegal medicine" stuck side quest.
-When using mouse, the icon "track location" not appearing on minimap icons
-When buying an item on NPC inventory and with insufficient funds after exiting the menu, notification will pop up "New item obtained"
-Overlapping UI Cyberware menu
-Mission like retrieving an item stuck ex. (illegal medicine) side mission
-Animation glitches when V's washing his hand with blood (blood overlapping into his hand)
-NPC enemy glitch "prologue" johny silverhand on arasaka elevator. The enemy is stuck behind the door/elevator can't kill the enemy and the mission is stuck.
-NPC enemy glitch "escaping into the elevator" with jackie in konpeki building. The enemy is stuck on elevator not doing anything.
-NPC enemy sensitivity sometimes in combat mode they're not pursuing you, instead they're standing still and waiting for something or not doing anything
-Ingame screen cursor for picking up an item not working even though the cursor is centered on item still not working.
-After enemy, npc death "Rogdoll" physics is way too much soft and not realistic to see
-Occasionally PC Crashing occurred when roaming (driving) :(

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077-20201211-200359-13208-13496.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 91
  • Cyberpunk2077-20201216-213210-9104-10648.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 79
I am having the same issue - also don't want to uninstall/reinstall because my internet speed is terribly slow. Seems to be a trend.

I have been messing around with my displays - plugging and unplugging monitors... Might be causing some issue????
idk.

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
File: <Unknown>(0)

View attachment 11096702

Disable every in-game overlay, xbox game bar, steam or gog overlay, and the geforce experience overlay if using that as well.

idk.
If you are running one of the older versions of LTSB, it will crash on startup until they fix it or you rebuild your system. I prefer they fix it.

I'm playing on steam and I keep crashing whenever I try to start Gimme Danger while Takemura is trying to tell me about the Arasaka Parade. Without fail it crashes. I tried going off and doing other quests, but I don't have any other storyline quests to try and see if that jars the code free and nothing I have tried has worked. I really would rather not restart the playthrough or back track. I expected when they finally released the game after being delayed from April, that it would be free of crashes like this. I have a pretty good system. i9-9900k, RTX2070, 32 GB RAM, and I just don't know what could be going on. I'm about to try reinstalling the game to see if that works.

Last edited:
still getting the gpu crash immediatly when I press launch. Haven't been able to play since launch day.
specs are:
ryzen 5 5600x
rtx 2080 super FE
32gbz ddr4 3600mhz
game is on a Samsung 970 pro nvme

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant
DROPPED MY GPU CLOCK -105MHZ AND PLAYED JUST FINE FOR LIKE 6 HOURS STRAIGHT ZERO ISSUES

Still not being able to even start the game. When I read the patch notes for 1.05 I doubt it will change.
I am on Win 10 20H2, I can play every other game out there and I have a lot on my disks.
What drives me crazy, I was able to start the game exactly once, right after installation of Nvidia drivers 460.89. Run well over an hour even on my GTX 970.
After I closed the game and shut down the PC down I was back to the start crash the next time I wanted to play! I did change nothing inbetween! Reinstalling game/drivers didn't help. I have disabled all overlays and tried any possible fix I could find...
And I have no explanation for the said behaviour.

Version=1
EventType=REDEngineErrorReport
EventTime=0
ReportIdentifier=ffffffff-ffffffff-00000001-00000000
Sig[0].Name=StackHash
Sig[0].Value=0x0000000000000000
Sig[1].Name=ErrorReason
Sig[1].Value=Unhandled exception
Sig[2].Name=InternalVersion
Sig[2].Value=3.0.3217599 P4CL: 4158334 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2

Last edited:
So for the last week my game has been crashing at the quest 'love like fire'
in the bit where Johnny crashes the guy against the mirror. But either CD Projekt fixed it, or pressing C to skip right at the part fixed it. Not sure which.

but now its crashing in the quest 'playing for time'
everytime at the bit where v and Johnny are fighting, and Johnny tries to take control.

Top Bottom