Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x0.
File: <Unknown>(0)

GG !

The game has been crashing for me since day 1. Prior to patch 1.1 the game would flatline at random intervals with the error message.

1611495849598.png

Now after the patch it still crashes, but now it forces a reboot of my machine... In Windows Event Viewer all I can find is: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

My rig should be more than capable of running the game:

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (driver version 461.09)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

What gives?

The game has been crashing for me since day 1. Prior to patch 1.1 the game would flatline at random intervals with the error message.

Now after the patch it still crashes, but now it forces a reboot of my machine... In Windows Event Viewer all I can find is: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

My rig should be more than capable of running the game:

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (driver version 461.09)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

What gives?

Same for me as well.

Basically the issue has not changed since the first day. The reason why we no longer see the old error message regarding directx/nvidia driver crashing in the windows event viewer is because Nvidia has sneakily changed how errors related to its drivers are handled by windows to make it look like the issue has nothing to do with them. That's to say, the same errors are still occurring just that the Nvidia driver no longer lets the windows events viewer log(record) them and proceeds to reboot your computer. This is Nvidia's way of washing their hands off the matter. Though the game's error logs still report the same GPUDX error for me.

The change occurred in driver patches after the first one(ie 460.79) they put out for cyberpunk. You can verify the change by reinstalling older drivers(460.79 and before). After installing back the old drivers, the same errors will be present again in windows event viewer and your computer will not reboot itself after the crash.

TLDR: The latest drivers just HIDE the errors, not fix them.

Last edited:
FYI for everyone, it looks like (at least for me) the Discord Overlay (which is on by default) causes the game to crash at start up:

Code:
ModLoad: 00007ffd`be710000 00007ffd`be8e8000   C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\discord\0.0.309\modules\discord_hook\xxxxxxxxxx\DiscordHook64.dll
[00:00:00.022][PID30876] hook_thread started
[00:00:00.022][PID30876] Process name: D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe
[15:12:12.587][PID30876] Starting graphics hook in process D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe
(789c.e78): Access violation - code c0000005 (first chance)
First chance exceptions are reported before any exception handling.
This exception may be expected and handled.
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\discord\0.0.309\modules\discord_hook\xxxxxxxxx\DiscordHook64.dll -
DiscordHook64!Ordinal0+0x1ab0d:
00007ffd`be72ab0d 8b00            mov     eax,dword ptr [rax] ds:00000000`00000000=????????

So try disabling that, might solve your crash at start up :)

Well...a Kernel-Power error means exactly that: somehow, Windows wanted to do something, and there was literally a problem with the electrical current. Either not enough or a surge. It's not impossible for this to be triggered by a setting in a driver, the BIOS, or Windows itself being too aggressive with what it's trying to draw...but I find over-draw hard to believe with a 1,000 watt PSU in your system. :whistle:

Another thing this could be is bad outlet. If you can plug the computer's surge protector into a different wall outlet, try that and see if it keeps happening. Does the power tend to brown out where you live? Even just for a second here and there?

Installations in protected directories can trigger odd conflicts (even if they happen with some games and not others). Easiest way to remove that problem is just move the installation to the root of the drive, or a folder of your own creation on the root. For example:
C:\Cyberpunk 2077\...
or
C:|MyRPGgames\Cyberounk 2077\...

That will alleviate any conflicts that Windows may have with the game accessing hardware and such. (Which can happen only in specific situations, like only when a certain sound file plays or a certain graphical shader is loaded into RAM.)

I think you may have missed the emphasis I was trying to put on details. :p Can you identify which missions and specifically what you were doing at the time of the crash? Finding out what's likely happening requires identifying a pattern. And sometimes it's tricky. Like, for example, a certain musical track is corrupted, and causing the audio system to crash. Or a graphical driver has a conflicting .DLL installed, but the problem only arises when a game tries to draw a translucent muzzle flash that's only used on one weapon in the game. (<--- Those are random examples, but these are the weird things that can cause crashes only for certain players on certain platforms with certain hardware in certain situations.)

So, the more detail you can glean, the better the chances of identifying a potential pattern.
Not at this moment, but i can make all the missions, the trick is when the game crashes trying to play a quest, make some mission on the main history...

Do we have a resolution for

Message: Failed to load archive C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content\basegame_3_nightcity.archive, error 3, try regenerating archives!

I've downloaded this game like 5 times now, installed on a few different drives, deleted and cleared our registry keys.

Is there anything else to try?

UPDATE: I fix my problem, supposedly, it now loads to menu no problem.

So first off, I pirated this game, version 1.03 loaded and worked fine. I then 14 hours of game play later, it started crashing at a specific point, then the crashing got worse, then I would crash while afk in the menu after initial load, then it would crash before and splash screen and i could not start the game (error from above).

After downloading the various torrents of the game, I felt that I was putting in a bunch of resources to play this game that has been about the only game to make me want to game to come out in the last 12 years. So i decided to put some cash resources at the problem and got the game from GOG, which did not fix any problem i had. lol, karma i guess.

Same crashing, same file won't load, etc.

What fixed the issue, after trying DDU drivers, chipset updates, GPU drivers, cleaning out registry, deleting install directory, clearing out app data caches, installing to different drives, running the game as admin, etc, was a system restore to before to a restore point I had before anything cyberpunk was on my computer. Luckily i had one from the 21st...thank god.

Now the game loads. I've not gone any further yet. gonna try to get my saves back now.

My 2 cents: Something about this game is corrupting files either when you mod it, try to do updates, or simply play the game. Those files are not being checked by installer and are not being removed when you uninstall the game, even when using a third party uninstaller that cleans out your registry.

Beyond all the graphical glitches, which I totally forgive any new game for, making your game install and uninstall fully, so people can fix their game when it's borked, is totally a must have on release. it's not something you push back or moth ball. People pay for this sht, and in CD Red's case, they pretty much got sht that can't even be uninstalled properly clear the slate. I can't believe a system restore is needed for a software based entertainment product.

That means, anyone that doesn't have a restore point, they are basically going to have to reinstall windows, unless they are some sort of window wizard, just to play a game for entertainment purposes...

Just saying...that's like a seatbelt that fails when it needs to save your life, then can't be taken off when you park your car....

I'm now going to do create restore point to save what I got before it screws up again.

GL

Last edited:
Do we have a resolution for

Message: Failed to load archive C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content\basegame_3_nightcity.archive, error 3, try regenerating archives!

I've downloaded this game like 5 times now, installed on a few different drives, deleted and cleared our registry keys.

Is there anything else to try?

UPDATE: I fix my problem, supposedly, it now loads to menu no problem.

So first off, I pirated this game, version 1.03 loaded and worked fine. I then 14 hours of game play later, it started crashing at a specific point, then the crashing got worse, then I would crash while afk in the menu after initial load, then it would crash before and splash screen and i could not start the game (error from above).

After downloading the various torrents of the game, I felt that I was putting in a bunch of resources to play this game that has been about the only game to make me want to game to come out in the last 12 years. So i decided to put some cash resources at the problem and got the game from GOG, which did not fix any problem i had. lol, karma i guess.

Same crashing, same file won't load, etc.

What fixed the issue, after trying DDU drivers, chipset updates, GPU drivers, cleaning out registry, deleting install directory, clearing out app data caches, installing to different drives, running the game as admin, etc, was a system restore to before to a restore point I had before anything cyberpunk was on my computer. Luckily i had one from the 21st...thank god.

Now the game loads. I've not gone any further yet. gonna try to get my saves back now.

My 2 cents: Something about this game is corrupting files either when you mod it, try to do updates, or simply play the game. Those files are not being checked by installer and are not being removed when you uninstall the game, even when using a third party uninstaller that cleans out your registry.

Beyond all the graphical glitches, which I totally forgive any new game for, making your game install and uninstall fully, so people can fix their game when it's borked, is totally a must have on release. it's not something you push back or moth ball. People pay for this sht, and in CD Red's case, they pretty much got sht that can't even be uninstalled properly clear the slate. I can't believe a system restore is needed for a software based entertainment product.

That means, anyone that doesn't have a restore point, they are basically going to have to reinstall windows, unless they are some sort of window wizard, just to play a game for entertainment purposes...

Just saying...that's like a seatbelt that fails when it needs to save your life, then can't be taken off when you park your car....

I'm now going to do create restore point to save what I got before it screws up again.

GL

I would send this into CDPR Tech Support directly. It seems like a very particular issue.

Just be aware, if you've modded the game, now or at any time in the past, there may be nothing to be done. CDPR can only offer support if the game is 100% vanilla.

Not at this moment, but i can make all the missions, the trick is when the game crashes trying to play a quest, make some mission on the main history...

I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what's being said here, but I think I get the gist. Unfortunately, without being able to identify specifically where the crashing is occurring, there's not much to go on. There's a big difference between saying,

"It's crashing for some reason and I don't know why."

and

"It crashes whenever I get to [this stage] in [this quest]."

Step one in troubleshooting anything is identifying some sort of pattern.

In my experience Cyberpunk 2077 can crash and what's unique is that it has always something to do with the drive that contains my OS.

I can trigger such a crash forcefully by overclocking the GPU above standards (even though this overclock works in many other benchmarks and games without any errors) and the biggest symptom is that the request time of the OS drive goes to 100% (or infinite) yet no reading or writing on that same disk occurs.

My own research and experiences shows me the following:
One such crash is capable of corrupting CP2077's cache files, but the outrageous effect is that it's corrupting the GPU driver itself and also managed to corrupt my SSD driver (M.2).

On a cloned bootable Sata SSD drive I haven't yet seen that this CP2077 crash corrupted the SATA driver's and I've gotten a little bit more stability out of it but the GPU driver corruption is still easily to trigger.

I want some clarity from cdprojektred if this is something they're familiar with when it comes to overclocking.
Ofcourse no overclock is guaranteed to work and they're not obliged to build in a failsafe avoiding driver corruption or even acknowledge this is an existing effect of OC'ing, but I've never seen any application causing these kind of issues.
In other words, in any other application an unreasonable overclock results in artifacts and/or an application crash. With either a BSOD in rare occassions which resets the display driver.
This corruption just FUBAR's my system's drivers.

Everything was fine until the Patch 1.11. Now I just crash from the launcher every time. Anyone else having trouble on 1.11? I already tried all the troubleshooting tips from supp, am hoping others are having this issue and maybe give it a couple of days before reinstalling as I have limited data here.

Everything was fine until the Patch 1.11. Now I just crash from the launcher every time. Anyone else having trouble on 1.11? I already tried all the troubleshooting tips from supp, am hoping others are having this issue and maybe give it a couple of days before reinstalling as I have limited data here.
Same here @420inPortlandd . I just get to "CD Project Red" screen and then it crashes.
Same here, play 19 hours so far, no issues, 1.11 happens and now I can't launch the game and get past the Red CD Project Red splash screen

I'm on steam, Played 60hours before 1.1. everything was fine, never faced bugs or glitches like other ppl did, but 1.1 came and I can not play anymore, crashes every single time I open the game, tried many solution I came across, removed mod(which never had problems with it) and installed the game again from a backup, nothing works, I've seen ppl downloaded the whole game again and it did not fix it for them, so I'm not gonna download 60GB+ again just trying to see if this game is gonna work or not.

bug = Cberpsycho de la fumée dans l'eau == elle reste activer quand ont fini cette quête ou toute celle pour les recherchées (toute réussi 100% sans les tuées).

Enterrement d'ev le message ok mais la quête pour y allez existe plus.

Le pluriel dans certaine des discutions existe pas.(vous devez faire une vérification)

Delamain = plusieurs recherches et maintenant une seule et c'est fini (la quête existe plus).

bug = Cberpsycho of smoke in the water == it remains activated when this quest or all of the researched ones have finished (all succeeded 100% without the kills).

Burial of ev the message ok but the quest to go there no longer exists.

The plural in some of the discussions does not exist (you need to verify)

Delamain = several searches and now only one and it's over (the quest no longer exists).

Update on my issue a few pages back: I've determined that the issue was my (brand new) uninterruptible power supply. I plugged my PC's power cable directly into a wall outlet, ran OCCT's 3D test (the only program that I could reliably cause my PC to crash/reboot) and was finally able to run it for an extended period of time without any crashing/rebooting.

I had tried a number of things, including rolling my graphics driver back even further, turning off all overlays, RTSS, HWinfo, etc., and switching to an older, smaller PSU.

Admittedly, I feel rather stupid for not attempting this first :facepalm:

I'm not sure why exactly it was happening, but obviously this UPS cannot handle sudden power spikes, which I believe are caused by my video card. It's not that it's the video card's fault, exactly, and I'm not sure if the UPS is faulty or not; I just believe it can't handle the power draw in some situations. Either that or it's some electrical engineering thing of which I am most certainly ignorant. It should be a high enough capacity UPS, since it's 1000W, and I'm not actually drawing that much power all the time with my entire PC setup here. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that this UPS uses two batteries, while my older UPS only used one.

Unfortunately, this means I am without a UPS, and I would really like to have a power conditioning/battery backup system, because the power in this area is not so great. I may try using my older 600W UPS to supply power to just my PC. I had used it briefly with this RTX 3080 installed, before I received the 1000W UPS. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens, though.

Anyway, that's a problem for me. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, with regard to Cyberpunk-specific crashes. But, if anyone is reading this and has had issues with their PC restarting while playing the game, *and* if you have your PC plugged into a UPS/APC, try plugging your PC directly into a wall outlet, if you can, to see if it keeps happening.

****another update to this: Unfortunately, the problem doesn't appear to have been my UPS, after all. I've continued to get reboots under load, and it's happening in more than just Cyberpunk and OCCT 3D stress test--I had a crash trying to load into Heroes of the Storm, which is an incredibly lightweight game. I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is, but I've started the process of RMAing my video card. I could still test it in another PCIe slot on my motherboard, to rule it out, but I need to send the video card back soon. So it if happens again with the replacement, then I'll lean more towards the issue being with my motherboard. It might just be an issue with the x16 PCIe slot, in that case, as I'm not having any other issues or reboots while idle (I've had bad motherboards in the past). I could also try replacing the CMOS battery, but I'm also not experiencing any of the usual symptoms of a failing CMOS battery (date/time wrong, other weirdness with the BIOS), and HWinfo reports 3.1v on the battery, so I think it's probably not the battery. In any case, I'll have a brand new replacement RTX 3080 relatively soon. Hopefully that fixes it.

Last edited:
Well I'm pleased to say I've hopefully sorted the crashing on launch issue I was having, after checking all of the usual suggestions it was the switching off 'Discord Overlay' that has allowed me to resume playing the game

I'm on steam, Played 60hours before 1.1. everything was fine, never faced bugs or glitches like other ppl did, but 1.1 came and I can not play anymore, crashes every single time I open the game, tried many solution I came across, removed mod(which never had problems with it) and installed the game again from a backup, nothing works, I've seen ppl downloaded the whole game again and it did not fix it for them, so I'm not gonna download 60GB+ again just trying to see if this game is gonna work or not.
I reinstalled it after removing all mods and it is now launching. Just letting people know it may be worth trying.

Now, after 1.04 update, it's another fucking reason of crashing at start...

"Message: Failed to load archive D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\content\basegame_1_engine.archive, error 1, try regenerating archives!
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\resource\src\resourcegamedepot.cpp"

Hello man, did you solve the problem ? if you did can u give me an answer. i have the same problem. i dont want the download whole game again. thanks

Game is a completely JOKE and a disaster. Reinstalled it after 1 month, played 1h, and get crashed twice out of nowhere. No mods, nothing.
Just CTD with:

Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.3266445 P4CL: 4208621 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x0.
File: <Unknown>

Line: 0

And performance gets worse. I'm done with this garbage. CDPR from one of the best game devs, becomes the joke of gaming.

Last edited:
I ha
Hello everyone.
I have interesting update after running some experiments in the early game today.

1. I have tried to run default settings again : most of the game params set to ultra / high and no fps limit.
The usual happened- crash after 3 mins of gameplay.

2. BUT then I started to fool around and tuned down every ultra setting to high and switched contact shadows off.
Now the NVIDIA control panel says I am not playing on optimal settings..... BUT I can lock the game at 60 fps and no crash so far!

I noticed that when I was using the recommended/ default/ "optimal" setting the GPU was at some points operating at 100% even though it still operated at around 68 C ( did not notice that before in MSI but I came to know after analyzing the graph in detail) now with all settings tuned down to high the GPU is loaded at max 93% and the game does not crash.

EDIT 1:
Unfortunately when playing again I was not able to reproduce my sucess all of the times. Basically the more strain on GPU the higher probability of crash. Sometimes if I am lucky enough I can get pretty decent gameplay without reducing every setting but this is really hard to say which setting might be the culprit.

All in all I would say : Ignore optimal setting recommendation and try to tune down a little bit and You might yet find a sweet spot that does not make You set the fps at 30.
I have a 2080Ti w/i9 CPU and 64GB RAM and I'm seeing all the same problems.

Top Bottom