Cyberpunk 2077 PREVIEWS - links & discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
the nose knows.
The shadow knows.jpg
But, we've detained this conversation long enough. Back on topic.

But, we've detained this conversation long enough. Back on topic.

Don't you mean to say that the topic has taken a nosedive? Hilarious.

But yeah, previews seem to confirm most of what I personally expected: decent combat and RPG mechanics, nothing mind-blowing, wrapped in a top-notch presentation. A shame the team seemingly didn't reach further in terms of RPG depth, given the franchise's tabletop roots, but it should still be a good/great game all around.

Updated the OP with a few videos and articles.
Thanks. Can you and other mods when updating the first post say with what infos and videos was updated?
At least in the post that says OP was updated, like this one I quote you with.

While I had both reassuring and concerning thoughts when reading some aspects, I see no "game breaker" deal issues for myself; having it compared to Deus Ex is mostly reassuring to me because I liked those games.

If there are no "gamebreaking" issues, then the game can be enjoyed for its positives, which I am sure will be abudant. Its weaknesses will seem just roughness around the edges. Same thing, most games: bugs are inevitable, but as long as they don't prevent your story progression, we can deal with them. Bugs will be ironed out over time, and the game will reach iconic status.

Thanks. Can you and other mods when updating the first post say with what infos and videos was updated?
At least in the post that says OP was updated, like this one I quote you with.

Sure, here are the updated links:

Gamesradar article: https://www.gamesradar.com/16-hours-with-cyberpunk-2077-and-i-never-want-to-leave-night-city/

GameInformer:

GameInformer article: https://www.gameinformer.com/video/...iew-keanu-reeves-guns-galore-and-driving-woes

GameInformer interview with composers: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/1...e-composers-behind-cyberpunk-2077s-soundtrack

Another update from IGN: 11 burning questions answered.
Question 11 has already ben answered by Benz here (reviewer said they didn't know the answer). There are no "radiant" procedural quests. Everything is hand crafted.

QA Dev posted that their current Nomad playthrough is 175 hours and 43 minutes in. Definitely not a speed run I'm sure (one would hope nearing 100% completion at that point), but nice to here all the same.
I expect the game to be long if one wants to do a 100% run.
But the above is kinda irrelevant since a QA dev can spend a big amount of time on a piece of content to test it for bugs.

16 hour previews has most certainly started to appear at least on YouTube.
Post automatically merged:

I'm glad it's closer to immersive sims than Witcher games (PCGamer mentioned Human Revolution specifically). And thus I'm absolutely not surprised there's a ton of bugs. This kind of game freedom comes at price, especially considering the scope.

How on Earth it can be immersive if theres character sheets and such? This is based on "table-top Cyberpunk" after all. I guess we will find out, but I doubt. If I was making immersive game I would keep all "game interactivity" at low, like inventory, character sheets etc. Like some games likes to do. I personally hope for Fictional Game.

Last edited:
Interview with person who previewed the game for PC Gamer
Interesting Bits:

- There are definitely consequences to choices in game, both immediate and longer term.
- Previewer thought Keanu Reeves was playing against type in a very good way:
He's described as an always mad at the world guy ... like a gruff old timer from a 60s western movie. Johnny Silverhand is a jerk, though there are reasons why he is. He mocks V a lot and is combative. He was described as a sort of Tyler Durden like character. Silverhand is also mad because he cant do anything himself, and so he tries to influence V. V can choose to go along with him, or not, and that of course impacts their relationship. You can also take pills to try an repress him or other pills to let Johnny out more in your sub-conscious.
- Previewer felt like side stuff wasn't pulling him in as organically as something like Red Dead Redemption II. However the majority of side stuff once you get into it are substantial missions, not just "oh this question-mark on the map is a chest." Small contacts with an NPC can result in later missions.
- Japantown was his favorite part of the city and most "Blade Runneresque."
- The writing is "very witcher" in story quality with lots of interesting and idiosyncratic characters.
- A lot of the quests ended on bleak or bummed notes. Definitely a noir cynical sort of storytelling thread throughout the game.
- Marketing for the game focuses much more on the action elements of the game. However, the game plays much more like a deliberate RPG, and much less "cliche" than the ads make it seem. There are definitely that edgy living in excess, sex, drugs, violence and rock and roll vibes to the game. But the game, and V, can also have moments of real kindness and empathy.
- Previewer got a lot of the pathos vibes from Bloody Baron questline when doing the questline for:
Judy Alvarez. V teams up with her in the main-quest for a time. Then later V can do lots of sidequest stuff with her. Lots of bad things happen to her apparently, and the previewer liked her a lot specifically. There are also lots of quiet character moments V can have with her.
- Previewer liked katana melee a lot. Melee consists of dodge, block, strong attack and quick attack. Several of the perks really improve it V's abilities and power. Some of the perks can have a synergy with each other.
- V's skill tree is fairly involved and gives a lot of variety. However, most things involved either shooting, hitting, hacking or sneaking.
- You can get through lifepath prologues in 2 hours or so if your trying to get straight through without side-stuff.
- Textures, small touches here and there out on the street, minute details of vendors and other NPCs are all really involved and exciting. Lots of great details you could run by if you aren't paying attention.
- Lots of bars, night clubs, dives, and other places for V to go.
- You're constantly picking up clothes and weird stuff from various encounters. You and mix and match all the different styles. Lots of items have bonuses too, not just the looks.
- Overall, he is "impossibly excited" to play the game. He does not think it will be a genre redefining game, but it is very good and feels very much a deus ex meets GTA sort of milieu. The previewer thought that it could be a special game if it takes those elements that are clearly there, and really delivers in terms of story quality and reactive non-linear storytelling. He thinks that sticking the landing will be important. Bottom line, after playing 15 hours of Cyberpunk, all he he wants to do is play more Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
- You can get through lifepath prologues in 2 hours or so if your trying to get straight through without side-stuff.

Important question is: Will the prologue "side-stuff" be available once the prologue is over? Or are we forced to go out of our way looking for it before we get to game proper?

Important question is: Will the prologue "side-stuff" be available once the prologue is over? Or are we forced to go out of our way looking for it before we get to game proper?
I hope they wont be available afterwards. It always irks me when quests hang around forever like the NPCs only exist to wait for the player character. But that's just me.

Huge preview on German gaming website Gamestar.

Said preview will be public for only 20h and 77mins until they make it available for Premium users only.
So I'm trying to get most bullet points translated for everyone.

Introduction

- Game starts with an introductional video, telling the player about all the various city districts
- There'll be a transitional video explaining what happened in the 6 months after the end of the origin story part
- Loading screen infos won't recap the story progress like in Witcher 3, but give more background infos depending on the chapter the player is currently in
- The game features a Kodex similar to the Mass Effect games

Story & Presentation

- Story is great, mature and keeps the game together very well
- Has the same issue as all open world games. It suggests a time pressure that isn't really there because you can ignore it as long as you want to do side quests or just free roam through the city
- Animations are glorious, facial expressions are great but not on TLoU 2 level
- German synchro really does the game justice and has some popular voice actors
- Relationship with Johnny Silverhand is (in)tense and he is present most of the time in various ways
- Johnny's character is described as "angry, cynical, an asshole"
- Relationship to Johnny becomes more complex and interesting throughout the game

Quest & game mechanics

- Overwhelming amount of side quests available right after the end of the prologue
- Basically no filler content. All quests have a meaning and are more complex/interesting than they appear when you accept them
- There's some "soft" level gating between districts/zones through high level enemies. Exact enemy level is not shown. Deadly enemies are marked with a red skull above their head.
- Most (but not all) quests are marked on the map.
- Bigger side quests can impact the main story. It's not mentioned by how much though.
- CDPR don't shy away from tackling "difficult" stories like suicide, rape, (child) murder, etc.
- Overall theme is very dark. Not for fans of happy ends
- Cyberpsychos are mostly random bossfights in the open world
- There some are obvious but also some really subtle decisions you can make (sometimes even unconciously) that impact the main story and side quests.
- Subtle decisions can be an issue because you don't know it was even there and you can actually miss the hidden replay value, making the game feel more linear than it actually is.
- Additional dialogue options you missed to unlock are not shown greyed out but are completely invisible. Same goes for background (Corpo, Nomad, Streetkid) specific options.

Character Progression

- The amount of mechanics can be overwhelming
- There's a "normal" character level, street cred level, Hacking tools, implants, crafting, etc.
- Perk points can be respecced for money, attribute points can't (at least in the 15h he played).
- Street cred level unlocks side quests, trade offers, advanced implants. No additional attribute or perk points.
- There's lots of "RPG" infused into the game.

Combat

- Melee feels surprisingly good. Not as good as Sekiro or Ghost of Tsushima but definitely much better than Skyrim.
- Gunplay feels great, but it's not a shooter. Headshots aren't instant kills. You can feel the RPG mechanics behind it.
- There are 3 types of guns. Normal, smart and tech.
- Smart guns have auto aim, tech guns can shoots charged shoots (hold shoot button).
- Guns can be modded. Mods can be looted or crafted (probably also purchased).
- Enemy AI is solid. Enemies are reacting and attacking as you would expect. Some occasional bugs though.
- Stealth game feels similar to Deus Ex. Stealth attacks are one shot kills/knockouts even on high level enemies.
- Scanned and marked enemies can be seen through walls.
- Hacking and stealth gameplay goes hand in hand.
- Time goes into slow motion when you're trying to combat hack an enemy

Crafting

- You can craft basically everything. Guns, clothes, mods, usable items
- Clothes have armor and run speed stats and can be modded.
- You can craft on the go. No need to find a workbench or go back to your apartment

Game World & Graphics

- You can get in conflict with the police but it never escalates as much as in GTA.
- Same for NPCs. The game world reacts more static to the player, not as dynamic as GTA.
- There are no stealing mechanics like in Skyrim.
- You can kill all NPCs except kids.
- Game world is very detailed and atmospheric.
- Fast travel is similar to Witcher 3.
- Driving feels mediocre to ok. It feels far from realistic, expecially the crash physics.
- Graphics are great, even without RTX.
- You can not see your character in reflections or regular mirrors for performance reasons, only in special mirrors that you can interact with.

Controls & UI

- You can hide almost all UI elements, except for the quest marker of your currently actively followed quest which will always be visible.
- Mouse + Keyboard controls are feeling good but are a bit overloaded at times (too many button/key presses needed)

Conclusion

- Game is for you if you're a fan of great stories, Deus Ex, RPGs and like atmospheric game worlds
- Game is not for you if you're a fan of "realistic" mechanics, like happy ends, love Rockstar games, racing games or expect a FPS.
- If you want to compare it to a single game then it feels closest to Deus Ex.

Money quote:

Edit: Fixed some typos and added Controls & UI section
Edit2: Added money quote
"Stealth game feels similar to Deus Ex. Stealth attacks are one shot kills/knockouts even on high level enemies."
"Game is for you if you're a fan of great stories, Deus Ex, RPGs and like atmospheric game worlds."
"Cyberpunk 2077 comes closest to Deus Ex. Only bigger, with better presentation and even more branched out storylines, with more detail, more role playing, more open world. It's the Deus Ex we've always wished for."

This is practically orgasmic to hear. God I love Deus Ex.
I don't think this is for "performance reason". Its because in normal gameplay the V model does not exist. For this reason, I have doubts that there would be a "photo mode".
They confirmed there's a photo mode, and that yes, you can see your character in it. You can even pose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom