Cyberpunk 2077 radio stations

+
So I take that all the artists presented in the Behind The Scenes video are responsible for the songs on the radio stations?

GTA 5 had 15 radio stations, around 20 hours of music, maybe more.
I heard that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature brand new music from all these famous artists, created specifically for the game. So what I wonder is - how much will we get? 20 hours of music dedicated for the game seems like a lot, which makes me worry about the quality. So I was wondering - is Marcin Przybyłowicz also responsible for some radio songs, aside from the basic soundtrack itself?

And if so, does this mean that Marcin Przybyłowicz will represent various fictional bands all by himself?

As a side note, can a Red confirm whether or not we will have a custom radio station in the game?

I recall this being something you guys wanted to do in the past, but for the life of me, I cannot find the source.

As a side note, can a Red confirm whether or not we will have a custom radio station in the game?

I recall this being something you guys wanted to do in the past, but for the life of me, I cannot find the source.
It was Lil in an interview,

You paraphrased:

Possibility of custom radio station/import your own music ( hinted they could be planning something similar) -- Very, very nice. Precisely what I wanted, and it was something I was planning to do anyway via mods if not allowed for by default. I have lots of music I think would fit Cyberpunk very well, and ever since the first trailer, I was hoping I could put it in.

I highly doubt the amount of custom tunes created by these artists will make up the bulk of what we hear on the radio. It would be well nigh impossible to pull this off. If they want fully realized radio stations, they'll have to license music.

Custom radio station? Count me in!

Either way, I'm really stoked for what we've seen and heard so far. One of the many things that *really* blew my mind was the soundtrack, heard in the Behind-the-music video, at 1:08, when those freakishly violent synths (or is that the cellist playing?) come in, going 'up and down'. Amazing.

Do you have the timestamp in the video or a link to where I said that?
The quote in my post above links to your post. Also, found the timestamp - it's 19:15 ish.

Q: Do you know of any plans for a custom radio station or mp3 import feature?

A: This is something I cannot talk about yet. But we have ... as a community we have something planned in the future.

So more of a vague "something planned" than actual confirmation.

Last edited:
I don’t really care about music stations, but what I would like to have is a talk-radio that discusses about the country’s and Night City’s political and social issues.

Nobody has done it better than GTA Vice City so far...

It doesn’t need to be that kind of over the top parody, but just something in that ilk.

I highly doubt the amount of custom tunes created by these artists will make up the bulk of what we hear on the radio. It would be well nigh impossible to pull this off. If they want fully realized radio stations, they'll have to license music.
Apparently they won't be using a licensed music, all the radio music will be developed just for the game. Of course, because of that we shouldn't expect anything as expansive as radio in GTAV, although they mentioned that they recorded an entire album with Refused, so if that's the case with every musician working on the soundtrack, that should make for a fairly expansive selection of the songs.

I don’t really care about music stations, but what I would like to have is a talk-radio that discusses about the country’s and Night City’s political and social issues.

Nobody has done it better than GTA Vice City so far...

It doesn’t need to be that kind of over the top parody, but just something in that ilk.
Agreed. This sort of thing is very immersive, and it's even better if it reacts to your decisions (where appropriate, of course -- you murdering some random hobo probably doesn't warrant a mention there).

Except they won't license the music, everything will be original made just for the game has been confirmed. They dont want streamers and content creators to get copyrighted. They will have full ownership of every song in the game.

Except they won't license the music, everything will be original made just for the game has been confirmed. They dont want streamers and content creators to get copyrighted. They will have full ownership of every song in the game.

This way they also won't have to deal with troublesome things like the license expiring after x years, which can result in songs being removed from the game.

This way they also won't have to deal with troublesome things like the license expiring after x years, which can result in songs being removed from the game.
Yes! i still remember that one Witcher 3 trailer that featured a song called "go your way" or something like that.
After 1 year the whole trailer was removed because their license for the song expired.

GTA5 has 241 tracks on the radio stations. How are CDPR going to come even close to that with exclusive music? They'll need a ton of variety so the radio stations don't repeat the same music too often.

GTA5 has 241 tracks on the radio stations. How are CDPR going to come even close to that with exclusive music? They'll need a ton of variety so the radio stations don't repeat the same music too often.
Simple. They won't get any close to that. They are developing Cyberpunk on much smaller budget then GTAV plus they are creating their own original music with several third party artists, which is not cheap either. Obviously they will try to develop as many songs with as much variety as possible, but of course there will be a limit of what they can do. Assuming that each major artist revealed so far will develop their own album for the game, we might be talking about nearly 100 or more original tracks to be possibly playing in the radio, which is still quite a massive number.

Another benefit is that they will own those songs forever and ever, which means they can reuse those in the future games without any license issues, then record a new ones on top of the existing ones, thus building quite a music base through the series.

Quality over quantity. GTA 5 had a bad radio imo i dont remember a single host from that game or much of the songs.
Vice City has the best radio out of any GTA and probably has fewer songs than any GTA after it.
I will take original songs that fit the world over a ton of licensed music. GTA is mimicking real life, Night City is trying to be its own thing it just doesn't work without breaking immersion imo.

Simple. They won't get any close to that. They are developing Cyberpunk on much smaller budget then GTAV plus they are creating their own original music with several third party artists, which is not cheap either. Obviously they will try to develop as many songs with as much variety as possible, but of course there will be a limit of what they can do. Assuming that each major artist revealed so far will develop their own album for the game, we might be talking about nearly 100 or more original tracks to be possibly playing in the radio, which is still quite a massive number.

Another benefit is that they will own those songs forever and ever, which means they can reuse those in the future games without any license issues, then record a new ones on top of the existing ones, thus building quite a music base through the series.
Honestly, I've played quite a bit of GTA V (single player), and I noticed plenty of repetition, so I really don't think this should be a concern for CDPR.

Plus, most people are not going to listen to every radio station much. They'll probably pick a couple that they like and stick to that. The vast majority of the licensed songs in GTA V just got ignored by me.

Quality over quantity. GTA 5 had a bad radio imo i dont remember a single host from that game or much of the songs.
Vice City has the best radio out of any GTA and probably has fewer songs than any GTA after it.
I will take original songs that fit the world over a ton of licensed music. GTA is mimicking real life, Night City is trying to be its own thing it just doesn't work without breaking immersion imo.

This.

There are a few songs I'd like to see from third parties (pre-existing songs, not freshly made), but I'll just use this alleged custom radio station (or a mod) to do that myself.

It has to be very expensive. Artists like Grimes and Asap Rocky are mainstream talent. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled they're doing it. I always figured they would after TW3 soundtrack, which for my money is one of the best ever done for a game.

They could also see it as great opportunities to get their music repetitively in front of millions of new listeners, and thus didn't charge as much as one might think.

Top Bottom