Cyberpunk 2077 REVIEWS - links & discussion

+
@Sardukhar thanks for closing the other topic, I agree we shouldn't have 10, but mine was actually the first to be created :p

here's the metacritic page with direct links to all critic reviews: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077/critic-reviews.

////////////////////////

Since the other topic has been killed, I'll repeat here my impressions on the reviews.

First, CDPR shouldn't have claimed such things:

EDIT: referring to consoles versions, the article is from 25th november 2018 when PC version had not even been announced /EDIT

Next time they should try to be more humble, since it's already their second big game to be delayed multiple times and still be crazy bugged.

Second, from what I've read, I really don't like the looter shooter elements of the game as I didn't like them in TW3. Which is crazy because I think I've read only bad feedback about this from TW3 and CP77 demos (from customers, youtubers who are in the game are happy with everything for obvious reasons). But it is what it is and we know who devs listen to.

Third, I'm not surprised at all many reviewers say that keanu's performance is the weakest among all the voice over actors. I've always believed it was a 100% marketing stunt and you need the right actor for the right role and not just the famous and cool guy the internet loves. Apparently, I wasn't that wrong.

Finally, I've never liked how the marketing campaign in general has been deployed, with "selected audience" being able to see things if they went to events while people at home couldn't, then the gozillion of NCW spoiled more than a simple explanation about game mechanics (and/or a nice uncut demo, but with those bugs I see why they didn't), and just those game mechanics were discussed too many times in different ways, which makes me think they've changed them 'till the very last day (e.g. levels removed from missions and enemies heads just recently). It looks very chaotic from the outside.

That being said, I can't wait to get my copy for PS5 on thursday and I hope they'll fix all those bugs in a shorter time than it took them for TW3 and at the same time will deliver the proper next-gen version ASAP because the current gen looks really problematic.

BUT

Next time I will think twice before pre-ordering a game from CDPR. I forgave the witcher 3 because they were a small company back then, but not now and not after all those claims. Too many delays and bugs don't deserve to be rewarded with a day one buy. I'm sure even their next game will be great, but 6 months after launch.

My first impressions and maybe "review" will come in the future. Hopefully near future.

P.S. Polygon is a joke.

Last edited:
I've not seen one PS4 review yet, so I guess I'm going for PC. Very happy with what I'm hearing as a whole. Congrats CDPR!

Guest 3847602

Among other remarks, he posted a screenshot of the map. This is the most unattractive map I've seen in my life and I've played a lot of Ubisoft games.
Well, and it appears there are dildos to find everywhere in Night City, as collectibles. Hm. OK.
I have no idea how something like this could have passed the playtesting. Both impractical and visually unappealing. :disapprove:

I agree that CDPR shouldnt have claimed to be "as polished as RDR2 at launch"

After all, RDR2 launch was a hilarious, unmitigated disaster :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It didnt even frigging run :ROFLMAO:

they were referring to consoles where it was the most polished game released since the "post launch patch" era. The quote is from 25th november 2018 when the pc version had not even been annunced. I played it for 80 hours during the first week (broken leg) and I didn't get a single bug.

I'm editing the previous post before someone else comes with the same argument. :p

Last edited:
This W3 all over again.Expect a menu and map overhaul in the coming months.

At least it is a comforting throught that they will strive to be better.
I have plenty of feedback to give Im sure.

(I just cant figure out whey they repeatedly throw away good designs to be replaced with bad ones)

Third, I'm not surprised at all many reviewers say that keanu's performance is the weakest among all the voice over actors. I've always believed it was a 100% marketing stunt and you need the right actor for the right role and not just the famous and cool guy the internet loves. Apparently, I wasn't that wrong.

I mean, his career was basically dead before John Wick, he doesn't have the range to play characters that needs to convey emotions. It was certainly a marketing decision, I hope it won't too distracting.

Honestly I feel the same way for Charles Dance in TW3, his performances was too much "Lannister", didn't really fit with Emhyr.

he doesn't have the range to play characters that needs to convey emotions.

THIS.

I'm not native in english but I usually play games in that language. This time I'm probably going for my mother tongue since I've heard the voice-over from commercials and they hired some of the best VO actors we have around and, surprisingly, kept the accents as well (spanish, japanese etc.). In particular, the guy who dubs keanu is particularly good.

I mean, his career was basically dead before John Wick, he doesn't have the range to play characters that needs to convey emotions. It was certainly a marketing decision, I hope it won't too distracting.

I also think that voice acting is a different beast from normal acting. Its just you and microphone. No actor opposite you, no elaborate surroundings, no costumes, nothing really to "get you in the mood". In theory voice acting should be easy money for accoplished actors, but its certainly not everyones cup of tea,

Theres several examples of famous actors failing appallingly in voice acting. Im reminded of for example Edward Norton in the Hulk game and Peter Dinklage as that AI in a game I cant remember.. Both came across as totally bland and emotionless.

Metacritic only gave Cyberpunk 2077 a 91/100 and that's only the PC version! Imagine the scores for the ancient PS4 and Xbox One versions that have an overwhelmingly amount of bugs and they will certainly score below a 90 on Metacritic. CDPR were aiming for a 90+ game on Metacritic but the game is barely scoring that. I was hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 would tie Red Dead Redemption 2 with a 97/100 Metacritic score but I guess not. Even The Last of Us 2 got a better Metacritic score and it had a bad story! Also, the story is surprisingly very short and the IGN reviewer only finished the game in 20 hours! CDPR said that the story is only slightly shorter than the Witcher 3 but that's not the case, after all which I had a very bad feeling about anyways. I'm going to try the game for myself on December 10th and see how it plays out. Maybe I'll end up liking it a lot more than these salty reviewers. GameSpot gave the game only 7/10! What kind of ambitious game is this? OUCH!!! I'm so sad and shocked at the same time! I was expecting this game to be the best game to come out to date even topping all the Grand Theft Auto games!
I think you're taking reviews too seriously.

Everybody has their own opinion about what they play, 91/100 is already a pretty solid score especially considering that it's just the point of view of a single person.

I mean, you kinda proved it already with your message, you talked about TLOU2 getting a very high score while you didn't like the story. Clearly you had a different opinion about the game.

Reviews are just an overall idea of the game's quality but are, by no mean, a reflection of the experience you'll get yourself (they're made by normal human beings...Not video game gods who knows exactly what players should like and dislike).
If you're checking every score hoping none of them are going below 97/100, you're gonna make your life more difficult than it should be. What matters at the end is YOUR opinion and how YOU will think about the game.

Just look at Sekiro, for example. The game got some fairly low scores on a LOT of reviews (mostly because people cried about its difficulty level) and yet, the game found a lot of success and became GOTY (It's one of my favorite game of all time).

Im 100% sure that CP2077 is a game where the opinions will change considerably for the better over time.
Not only because bugs will be fixed, but also because it likely has stuff that people just can't yet wrap their brains around.

Such as the combat system, where you get better at stuff once you do lot of it. And getting better means different, faster and snappier animations. Since other games don't have this sort of thing, I suspect theres many a reviewer who thinks that "combat is bad" based on their initial impressions. Similarly reviewers won't be able to appreciate the organically branching story until repeated playthroughs.

I for one wont be paying ANY attention to reviews at this point.

But I will report bugs and expect them to get fixed, and the UI cleaned up. (How in the blazes can they mess it up so bad after frikken 8 years on the job)

I heard you can finish the main story in 20 hours. Is that true? I'm a bit disappointed if it is. How long was TW3 main story?

Concensus from quick buzz through looks like extremely buggy, shorter than expected, great side quests.

Some really disappointing things I read briefly were superficial world, side quests being at odds with main quest, especially in character development.

I'm going to immediately disregard any of the political crap that sites spew, because it's the last thing I want in my games. I gave TLOU2 a pass because of Neil as is despite loving the first game.

Ultimately I'll wait and see, I won't be doing a day 1 purchase because there's no GPU stock anywhere, so I'll see what comes of it. I am very disappointed to read superficial and short. Some of my biggest complaints about Bethesda is the lack of depth.

Edit: Slightly shorter does not equal less than 50%. Witcher 3 was a 50 hour main quest

I heard you can finish the main story in 20 hours. Is that true? I'm a bit disappointed if it is. How long was TW3 main story?

The TW3's main story line was too long according to community feedback, which is why a lot of people never finished the game. Anyhow, comparing it to CP2077 is moot because CP2077 has more side quests and more freedom.

Not only because bugs will be fixed, but also because it likely has stuff that people just can't yet wrap their brains around.

Such as the combat system, where you get better at stuff once you do lot of it. And getting better means different, faster and snappier animations. Since other games don't have this sort of thing, I suspect theres many a reviewer who thinks that "combat is bad" based on their initial impressions.
No, getting better means +X% DMG and faster reload at best if you look at the skill tree. No smoother animations.
I know CDPR has said many things over the last 2 years, but they've proven very good at changing their minds even few weeks prior to release.
"Work in progress, subject to change". The fault is our. Never pre-order a game. Never.

Top Bottom