Cyberpunk 2077 REVIEWS - links & discussion

+

Guest 3847602

Did anyone have reviews they felt we're unbiased and not politically motivated?
There seems to be a consensus about good, but short main campaign, great secondary quests, mostly functional game mechanics and A LOT OF BUGS.
If you're on edge about buying the game and want unbiased review with no ulterior motives regarding politics, wait for Worth A Buy to review it when it comes out.

In the UI everything is red, which makes things difficult to read. I just don't get why they have thrown away at least two better-looking UIs before they came up with the worst version.
And there is that: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa
When "suiting up" for a BD, especially with Judy, V will be given a headset that is meant to onset the instance. The headset fits over both eyes and features a rapid onslaught of white and red blinking LEDs, much like the actual device neurologists use in real life to trigger a seizure when they need to trigger one for diagnosis purposes. If not modeled off of the IRL design, it's a very spot-on coincidence, and because of that this is one aspect that I would personally advise you to avoid altogether. When you notice the headset come into play, look away completely or close your eyes. This is a pattern of lights designed to trigger an epileptic episode and it very much did that in my own personal playthrough.
Mindblowing.

On a lighter note, if i don't see bugs like this in Night City on launch day, I'm going to be a bit disappointed, but also relieved, but a bit sad. xD

bc45022a485689e72c54cc2e0891bc1a--melting-face-fun-stuff.jpg

Yeah. I can't imagine who was the brainiac who thought that putting a device that is LITERALLY DESIGNED TO TRIGGER AN EPILEPTIC SEIZURE into a AAA game was a good idea.

How did this pass QA?

I don't meant to sound insensitive, but how did gameinformer allow a person with Epilepsy or Partial-Epilepsy to review a video game? That person is either lying or reckless. Epilepsy is no frick'n joke, they shouldn't be doing something that puts their life at risk like that.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about FIFA 2021, that was not my point. My point is to compare when it makes sense, and it makes no sense to compare the grade of games ("Cyberpunk and Fortnite" here, "Cyberpunk and Anthem" there) that have almost nothing in common, with different audience, intents, scale, budget, dev time, etc.
I have no trust in users' reviews in Metacritic either. It exists to let many people vent about what they dislike and what they heard. It's full of people who are ready to give CP77 "9.9/10 because of its setting alone", it's full of 10/10 or 1/10 with hyperbolic statements.
I agree that metacritic is far from the ultimate judge and im not even suggesting that CP should have 10/10 automatically. But you can compare Cyberpunk to other games and it is. Other RPG games, driving mechanics vs GTA, shooting mechanics vs shooters etc. And they do that. But you can also judge the game as a whole experience, so obviously the bugs will and should drag it down, because it's important that the game is actually playable :)

But still as a reviewer, I think you have to put more effort into this, rather than just playing a specific game and then just throw out a number.

Especially when you have other or former games to compare to. Like Fifa (I don't play it myself either), but as a reviewer or a company doing reviews, I would expect them to look into former titles and compare them to those at least. Exactly how they would do with the Witcher expansions, how did they live up to the Witcher 3? was the story good or were it just boring things? Did they simply reuse stuff etc?

It would make sense to make a review based on that. And there is a new Fifa released every year, so exactly how much can it change in one year? When clearly the players seem to strongly disagree. If the game each release is purely based on it being possible to kick a ball around, sure enough it should stay at 8/10. But it doesn't really make for a good review.

You can draw similarity in regards to the story of Cyberpunk vs that of Anthem, number of bugs, gameplay, shooting mechanics etc. Even if they are not exactly the same type of game.

Take Skyrim, this is the end of Gamespot review for it:
It's a pity that Skyrim often breaks the immersion it tries so hard to create, in ways both minor and major. Some bizarre details are simply annoying. A character might initiate conversation through the ceiling. The chatter of nearby characters could drown out important story exposition. Two shopkeepers standing next to each other may be voiced by the same actor and repeat the same lines. A dragon skeleton might disappear and then later drop out of the sky in a new location. A dragon could get stuck in place, flailing about in the geometry in a mess of wings and tail. For that matter, you could get stuck in the environment, maybe just by walking into a corner, which forces you to either quick-travel to a different location (if you're lucky enough to be outdoors) or load a save game. The game runs elegantly at highest settings on a properly equipped PC, though you could experience a crash to desktop or two. The question isn't whether you will experience anomalies--it's a given. The question is: which ones and how many?

If you've played previous Elder Scrolls games, glitches and oddities don't come as a surprise. Nevertheless, Skyrim comes in a year graced with multiple quality RPGs that feature tighter combat, fewer bugs, better animations, and so forth. But to be fair, none of those games are endowed with such enormity.

You could basically change a few of the words and probably match it rather well to Cyberpunk :D Yet that got a 9/10, so clearly Skyrim is judged on its ambitions, scale etc. And bugs are not that important and Skyrim had a lot like most Bethesda games :)

And even if I should end up not liking the game, I doubt I would consider it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's basically what I said...:
1) You can compare games, not their grades...
2) You can compare when it makes sense...

No, comparing Anthem and Cyberpunk makes no sense. They both have "shooting mechanics" and things in common of course (like multipl... no, not multiplayer, stea... no, not stealth, drivi... no, not driving, hacki... no, not hacking... skill poin... wait... what else... mechs? hm... a lot of NPC to talk to in a living breathing wo... no, not that... HA! they both have a story and dialogs!), but those mechanics are meant for a TPS GaaS looter shooter online with flying mechs with a 3 years development time in one hand, and a FP solo RPG in the other, sold as a turning point for modern RPG for 8 years in the other. Comparing both wouldn't get us far, it's senseless. Comparing Cyberpunk to Fallout 4, in the meantime, would be another topic.

And, well, maybe Skyrim was a better or a more influencial game in 2011 than CP77 now. The industry and the journos have changed too in 10 years... maybe people makes grades differently now. I don't know. It's not important. All I'm seeing is that reviews for CP so far, from 7/10 to 9/10, well, it's within my range of what I can perceive as fair from what I've seen of CP77. On PC. We waited 7 years for console footage and we have 0 reviews on console. Not worrying at all.

And even if I should end up not liking the game, I doubt I would consider it a 7/10.
Yep, I don't think we can have a conversation anymore. I can't understand how you can have an idea of your review before having played the game. That's completely silly to me. That's precisely the "metacritic"/fandom/consumer mindset I despise.

Last edited:
Yeah. I can't imagine who was the brainiac who thought that putting a device that is LITERALLY DESIGNED TO TRIGGER AN EPILEPTIC SEIZURE into a AAA game was a good idea.

How did this pass QA?
This is crazy. I had to read the review just to make sure that I was seeing it in context. Not just QA, but also legal? I'd bet that they just now are hearing about it, and frantically working up some sort of response.

and frantically working up some sort of response.

I mean its not that the solution is complex: just remove the strobe light from the braindance device and replace it with solid non-blinking light. Its sci-fi anyway so it makes no difference...

Many nightclubs can also be problematic, but at least for those blinking lights are half expected. No such excuse is possible for the braindance device which is pure scifi (and thus could look like anything), and have it have the strobe light RIGHT IN YOUR FACE filling the entire screen.

(or is it related to cyberware armor too?)

No idea. But I do know most of the weapon perks relate to damage increments and critical multipliers and you have to sink dozens of rounds on certain enemies at point blank range without them paying much attention to it (aside from eventually dying of course).

No idea. But I do know most of the weapon perks relate to damage increments and critical multipliers and you have to sink dozens of rounds on certain enemies at point blank range without them paying much attention to it (aside from eventually dying of course).

Yeah, the references to a large number of small percentage boosts here or there from progression, aggressive loot treadmill feel and shotgun to the face 8 times behavior is worrisome. Most reviews appear to be in agreement on those elements.

Yeah, the references to a large number of small percentage boosts here or there from progression, aggressive loot treadmill feel and shotgun to the face 8 times behavior is worrisome. Most reviews appear to be in agreement on those elements.

And what's almost equally worrying is that, if gets "fixed" by CDPR, it probably won't happen by adjusting V weaponhandling through skills, but simply by making enemies die faster, and thusly undermining the role of skills even further.

I think they balanced the mecanics with levels for the single player, kinda Fallout-ish.

I hope the Multiplayer with be closer to Cyberpunk 2020.
Btw, since we have flashbacks from Silverhand's past, it would be really cool if the Multiplayer plays during the 2020-er.
Lethal, a different map, etc...
There are tons of official scenarios for coop etc...

There is no Angry Joe's review. Besides I got rid of him after he drastically spoiled Red Dead for me. He spoiled a game for me a few times drastically. He tells you the ending etc Nuts.
Yes, he does that. But he reviews games quite well after the release, he rarely does "spoiler free" reviews. You don't watch him for that, but for the fun he makes of even the 10/10 games. But his main MO is making fun, not spoiler free, objective approach.

I'm probably one of few people who didn't like The Witcher 3, despite glowing reviews plastered all over the internet. I couldn't get into it at all. It seems CDPR have changed up the formula slightly and improved on things. Couple that with the setting and I might actually love this a lot more despite bugs and glitches.

I've never paid much attention or weight on game reviews ever since one prominent magazine I used to read gave Secret of Monkey island 77/100 back in the day.

So MadQueen is just running a live stream with questions about the game, a few things I heard which are quite opposite to mainstream media reviews:

- she's 50 hours into the game and as she says "she barely scratched the surface"; not even finished the game yet
- she's surprised by the discussion about the game being super buggy because she experienced only some minor bugs; nothing comparable to Bethesda games for example
- Keanu Reeves' performance is amazing; way better than other voice actors
- the game generally definitely lived up to the hype for her

I mean its not that the solution is complex: just remove the strobe light from the braindance device and replace it with solid non-blinking light. Its sci-fi anyway so it makes no difference...

Yeah that would be the better avenue of fixing it, the strobe for the braindance doesn't sound exactly necessary.

But if they do keep it in, at least they'll have a warning at the beginning of the game; most games I've played (especially Ubisoft games) have a epilepsy and photosensitivity warning, especially all the Assassin Creed games.

I wonder if the review copy came with warnings about that.

- she's surprised by the discussion about the game being super buggy because she experienced only some minor bugs; nothing comparable to Bethesda games for example

It is interesting how different experiences can be in todays AAA-games..

This reminds me of AC:Valhalla launch. I heard lot of talk about bugs, and I even watched a streamer play the game live where she experienced LOADS of bugs, even crashing multiple times. Whereas I myself experienced only minor graphical bugs in my own game (flying horses and the like). We both played on PC.

Top Bottom