Cyberpunk 2077 REVIEWS - links & discussion

+
I've yet to play a game where my opinion completely shifted from hour 10 to hour 100. You can review a game in 10 hours, even less. In 10 hours you experienced most things: you know how the writing is, you're familiar with the artistic direction, you've heard 10 hours of the soundtrack, you understand most of the gameplay mechanics and experienced most of the gameplay loops, you know how it feels to drive, to shoot, to level up, to die, to craft, you already know if there is consequences to your actions or not. 10 hours is more than enough, especially if you're playing video games for some times or as a living. You don't have to finish the game or to "see everything" to have a reasonable and meaningful opinion. Same with a book, sometimes you can tell the book is great or awful with the first chapter, even the first paragraph (and even, sometimes, the book cover, I might say).

Which language if you don't mind me asking?
Italian. I must say I find the way they translated "ripperdoc" awful (they used the word for scalpel), but dubbing SEEMS really good. A couple of days and I'll know, just got the confirmation from amazon.

I feel like a few journos have a vendetta against CDPR and CP2077. I won't say WHY on this forum, but to give TLOU2 a higher rating... Come on... Lol

Have these bastards just ruined the game for me? Or is this just a spoiler from the old tabletop game? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Definitely was concerned it might be a spoiler when I clicked on it, but I decided to risk it because I wanted to help if I could... luckily I can tell you that that's a part of Cyberpunk 2020 lore, so not really a spoiler, just background info, though they might touch on it in the game

Some of these reviews are ridiculous. You know when Anita Sarkeesian tweets, they even managed to make a video game, Political. I have to say that the games radar one sounds pretty exciting and honest. The bugs seem to be no show stopper and i think the PC gamer reviewer must have some kind of Agenda against CDPR? It felt off.

Anyways, like movie critics, i have never NOT watched a movie because of a review. Same with games. We all here will play it anyways in 2 days. My Experiment is still high!
Post automatically merged:

Oh yeah and didnt CDPR tweeted that someone played for 175 hours and didnt finish everything? I highly doubt they would make stuff up. I mean between 15-20 hours and 175 is a stark difference. Smells like someone had to burn a review within 24 hours.

Guest 4406876

From hearing how long it took for the varies reviewer to complete it, they seem to range between 15-25 hours if you rush it.

But they also say that you won't get the best experience if you do.

So my guess is that CDPR did it like this, so people that just want to complete it and "move on" can do so fairly quickly. But if you are a person that like RPGs and want to get deep into it, get as many options as possible, side missions are where you have to go. They are not just "Do this and get some loot", but will impact and explain what is going on in the main quest in more details.

Whether that was the design idea behind it by CDPR I don't know. But at least that is the impression I get. And apparently some side missions are not just 20 minute long but can be several hours.

For me at least, I will probably focus a lot more on side missions compared to main missions. :)

These are people that have completed the game, some have spend 40 hours on it etc.
Exactly they "COMPLETED" the main storyline and couple of sides to have an overall rushed idea. I think it's not sufficient as beating the "main quest" isn't the point of this game.

BTW: Gamespot gave Anthem a 6. You seriously telling me CP is only one grade above that? lol

Guest 4406876

BTW: Gamespot gave Anthem a 6. You seriously telling me CP is only one grade above that? lol
If I were to follow their scale I'd give probably Anthem a 3 (since it's absent of gameplay and the only cool thing is using your javelin and its animations and the Audio section, that is indeed awesome) and anything from CDPR, even TW3 that I don't like at all , a 9. So since I'm a fan of Cyberpunk pnp setting , contrary of TW, I'd give it a 9.9 leaving out the 0.1 because they removed subways and wall running lol XD

What I'm most concerned of is Performance since it's gonna be a problem as I couldn't upgrade my videocard due to the obvious reason of lack of stock and insane prices of vultures. The rest of my pc is brand new top notch, the videocard is a mere 980....not even Ti... I mean it took me this far at ultra settings in 1080p at 40 45 fps on every game I have till today..but for this I smell issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, "rushing" to the end is perfectly reasonable if the game makes you feel there are urgent matters to resolve or if you don't want all dildos collectibles. It's the playstyle of the vast majority of players too. You can perfectly judge the game even if you don't have the "good ending" after a 100 hours+ playthough. If the side quests are on par quality wise with the main quest, from a quality standpoint you miss nothing to make a reliable review. Well, you can give a 10/10 to CP77 because you rushed it... Maybe the grade wouldn't be that high if they took more time finishing it, since experiencing the same bugs over and over again wouldn't make the experience better but worse.
But most of the reviews I've read so far took into account the importance of side quests and even made multiple playthroughs...

The PC Gamer review looks reasonable to me. Especially from a PC point of view.
If you upgrade your PC with hundreds of dollars mainly for this game and all you've got after 7+ years of devs suffering an endless crunch time is a buggy unoptimized game with immersion-breaking glitches until the very last emotional moment, even after a 50 Gig patch, well, you deserve your 78/100, which is, after all, a very good grade, if you care about it.

And from what I've read, the reason why CP77 isn't the expected masterpiece for the majority of reviewers is not because of a "political agenda"... This game looks far from perfect, and it will take months if not more to make it work as intended.

You can't reasonably say "I haven't played CP77 but I'd gave a 9.9 grade because I like the setting lol" and "you shouldn't rush the game to review it"...

IGN be like: 90 for Cyberpunk but 100 for Fortnite.... TF?
I'll keep trying to be the devil's advocate there but... Well, I haven't played CP or Fortnite, but from what I've seen, everything Fortnite tries to do it does it well and successfully. The formula works and the expectations of the players are met. So yeah, you can give a better grade to Fortnite and it can make sense if CP77 doesn't work flawlessly and if expectations aren't met. The issue is with the game and CDPR, not the reviewer. I'd take a well-done Big Mac with soggy fries over a beef Wellington with small lumps of shit any day.

In any case, it doesn't make any sense to compare grades, especially between games of different genre. When the reviewer wrote the text, he didn't think "how would I compare Cyberpunk 2077 to FIFA 2021?"

Last edited:
I will never understand why people who often claim that reviews don't matter to them (or that only some matter some matter them) feel to need to take apart reviews and journalists instead of just leaving it.

The game obviously has issues. They come up in all reviews but what people measure differently is how much of an impact these issues had on them. Perfectly acceptable. And I like that some reviews also mention things such as the depiction of trans-people etc. CDPR did talk about this, so it is natural that there will be scrutiny about how they actually worked with this and other topics.

Doesn't have to bother you but it is part of a diverse media landscape to have these different voices.

And comparing reviews and scores to each other... seriously - that never made a lot of sense. Most of us have been around long enough to know that and most journalists would agree as well.

Attacking journalists for their reasoning behind their scores before having played yourself is more than childish. Especially since the reviews are very good after all. Just not on the level of W3 or RDR2. That is pretty obvious.

Definitely was concerned it might be a spoiler when I clicked on it, but I decided to risk it because I wanted to help if I could... luckily I can tell you that that's a part of Cyberpunk 2020 lore, so not really a spoiler, just background info, though they might touch on it in the game

Thanks dude — for both the insight and taking that risk. But that's good to know! Was panicking that the Japanese had a different way of dealing with spoilers.

In any case, it doesn't make any sense to compare grades, especially between games of different genre. When the reviewer wrote the text, he didn't think "how would I compare Cyberpunk 2077 to FIFA 2021?"
I would disagree with that, obviously you can't compare them one on one. But in regards to Fifa, there ain't really a lot of competition to this genre since EA pretty much have monopoly on using the names of these players. And people that like these game cares about them being in the game.

If Fifa shouldn't be compared to others games in regards to how much it tries to innovate, please their customers, applying new and better graphics, gameplay etc. Then it should obviously have 9/10 or 10/10 and maybe that is why it gets 8/10 by them.

But it should only receive such score if it truly stands out as a game compared with other games and what capabilities are technological possible, gameplay etc. Given we are talking about a AAA studio.

This is from metacritic by players:
FIFA 21 is the same game like FIFA 20 and so on. Its the same recycled game that you must pay a full price game.
The gameplay is full of bugs, unrealistic and very very arcade style.

I won't bother repeating what many others have said, I agree with most that the core gameplay has not changed much from 20 and this is essentially a roster update for full price... again.

I felt obligated to tell the world how bad this game, because it is not only the normal kind of bad, but the worst kind of bad..
So what is fifa 21? Its a simulator made only to make money and the simulator is always rigged slightly against you because as you all know "the house always wins".

Please dont be a donkey like me and buy the game.

This game is only made to make money, and it doesnt care if you are 5 or 80 years old, as long as you can press some buttons and buy fifa points.

And the list go on...

How is it possible for these reviewers to not spot this? Clearly this can't be considered a great game, when so many players disagree. So to me games have to be compared to each other to some degree or you will get a very twisted view of what is a good game. Its not like they don't have enough Fifa games to compare to, so at least compare them to each other. That way people could figure out which games there have been put effort into and which there ain't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dude — for both the insight and taking that risk. But that's good to know! Was panicking that the Japanese had a different way of dealing with spoilers.

No worries at all! Happy to help! (also extremely thrilled that people have been so good at not spoiling this for people)

First couple of sentences in Polygon review are about politics and not being a utopia for their personal views.

Why the hell are they even given review copies? They aren't giving unbiased reviews. Same with Gamespot's review on YouTube. The girl didn't even really play the game.

Did anyone have reviews they felt we're unbiased and not politically motivated?

Edit: Yong's review mentioning ALL side quests and main quest combined is probably about 60 hrs of gameplay. If that's true I'll be super disappointed in the game and CDPRs comments regarding length.

Last edited:
Been watching reviews for CP2077 for much of the day.

The visual bugs I'm not to worried about, eventually they'll be patched out.

I am hearing the quest/mission log is in serious need of help. Just a long list with no indication if this or that one is a suicide run at your current level. Save early, save often.

Seems the dodge function is a double tap on the movement key, and so sensitive that if you're creeping around stealthily you'll occasionally dodge out into plain sight when trying to inch around something. Save early, save often.

Melee/brawling sounds a lot less refined then gunplay.

Apparently driving is functional, but don't expect it to be anything special.

One reviewer played it on a 5-year-old PC with a 980TI and said high settings (no ray tracing) worked just fine most of the time.

You can adjust crowd density, low, medium, high, which should do wonders for performance.

Character stats/skills/perks have a significant impact on gunplay/melee ... if you plan to FPS your way thru the game you may find yourself very frustrated.

@Mobster100
I don't know anything about FIFA 2021, that was not my point. My point is to compare when it makes sense, and it makes no sense to compare the grade of games ("Cyberpunk and Fortnite" here, "Cyberpunk and Anthem" there) that have almost nothing in common, with different audience, intents, scale, budget, dev time, etc.
I have no trust in users' reviews in Metacritic either. It exists to let many people vent about what they dislike and what they heard. It's full of people who are ready to give CP77 "9.9/10 because of its setting alone", it's full of 10/10 or 1/10 with hyperbolic statements.

@jt4gov
I'm always surprised that people reading Polygon or Kotaku expect something else. It's like looking for ham in a bakery. That's their angle, that's how they successfully sell clicks and ads. That's not the case for 95% of the reviews out there, yet Polygon can outshine the others effortlessly. Fascinating.

And "unbiased reviews" don't exist. It never existed and it never will.
(Well, on top of that, everything is "politically motivated", especially everything that claims it's not. Everything futuristic and dystopian has a strong political subtext.)

CDPR is a great story teller but gameplay joker and technical mess . They need reorganization their technical department seriously what a buggy game.

They just have their heads so high up in the clouds they forget to do basic stuff except as an afterthought.

The UI being bad, well I never expected it to be good after playing Witcher 3.
The map is apparently especially bad, since it has no 3-dimensionality to it while Night City is extremely 3D.

Madqueen reports that the pathfinding algorithm(which directs you to missions) is really wonky, which, while not being an easy thing to program, is still an issue. Things like making S-turns on a straight road or directing you to roads that don't exist. Also it shows weird routes when your target is above or below you since it doesn't take 3-dimensionality into account.

In the UI everything is red, which makes things difficult to read. I just don't get why CDPR has thrown away at least two better-looking UIs before they came up with the worst version.

First couple of sentences in Polygon review are about politics and not being a utopia for their personal views.

Polygon and Kotaku are fucking jokes. No sane person should read those sites. People do it because laughing at those sites gives them entertainment, but I still recommend against it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom