Cyberpunk 2077 - State of game after a month

+
I just posted separately that I restarted the game after my initial 25 hours on the Xbox One X. The first 25 were awful and to the point where I had to just stop. Between the screen freezing, being glitched back to the console dashboard, the audio/video glitches, it was pretty much unplayable, but I did try.

Fast forward to last night where I restarted the game with a new and fresh character and with a bit of knowledge I didn't have before. I had also watched a bunch of YT vids on gameplay and saw where I might have messed up.

After 6.5 hours last night I'm happy to report I had NO issues, none whatsoever except for a few seconds of lag. I was so engrossed I didn't stop playing until 2 AM this morning! I have no idea what content is reported to be missing, and, the city is just lifeless with the same people doing the same thing with no response when you speak to them, random mumbling. The story though is what sucked me in, especially after having an idea of what was to happen with my initial 25 hours. I can't wait to see how it progresses and I hope my issue-less play time continues.

I'm not sure if CDPR updated things during the weeks after I stopped playing, but something changed.

Out of curiosity, did you reinstall the whole game? Or you kept it installed and updated it with new patches?

Many of the mods, stats, and systems are not functioning either. Bugs aside, their are still basion functions that are not working, and mechanics that are broken. Heck, even walking near a certain kind of surface, causes your character to slide at break neck speeds. This causes all kinds of problems.. Mods for armor, and weapons dont work. Some skills dont work. Stats dont apply properly, or at all in some cases. The game has no physics. We all know basic AI is non existent, and police AI is something from another dimension/reality.

I could go on, but Im struggling to force myself through a second playthrough, and I skipped half the missions the first time, deliberately, to leave something to discover for my 2nd. Its just... Not good.

I could go on, but Im struggling to force myself through a second playthrough, and I skipped half the missions the first time, deliberately, to leave something to discover for my 2nd. Its just... Not good.

There's simply no way I could sit through an entire second playthrough. So I'm doing this instead:

I said fuck it, and used Cyber Engine Tweaks to disable the teleport that hits you when you try to leave Watson before doing The Heist to have Johnny rammed into your fuckin' brainpan. Did everything in Watson until level 12 with 32 Street Cred. Stole a gang-banger's bike (cuz I hate the shitty starter car), rode all over the map shopping for clothes and shit, and now I'm runnin' around Japantown cleaning up the streets of gang-bangers (they practically inst-respawn), and any other crime scenes I come across. And when that gets too easy, I'll move to the next toughest part of town.

Fuck Johnny. And anyone else I can't interact with thanks to him. I'm out here doin' my own thing, leveling up and havin' a blast. Cuz THIS is where the REAL game's at. And you know what the best part is?

My best choom is alive and well yakking it up with Misty in her shop :ROFLMAO: (y)

And once more in-depth modding tools are available, it'll only get better once I can rip out main quest connections that block the fixer and NCPD alerts outside Watson and remove the guarded barriers on the bridges so I don't have to take the long route around them every time.

The sad reality for a game released at the end of the year is that nothing is really fixed until well into January.

I was not expecting Witcher 2077, and did not get that. It would have made for an awesome game, but that is not what this game is. The stories, open world, and RPG elements are more along the lines of what I might expect from an MMO or something from the more recent Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. Night City has stuff to do, but it does feel limited and locked down. I feel like the whole Johnny Silverhand storyline is pretty much on par with killing the next big bad Daedric Prince, but it is not a bad story. It is the story that we are forever stuck with, though. Cyberpunk will probably never rise to the Witcher level in story or open world.

I play on PC, and the game is definitely playable and I had a lot of fun on my first play through. Lots of bugs, some of which require reloading from saves. Some cannot be fixed doing that, and maybe CDPR will fix them, but that is yet to be seen. I expect that the focus on getting it back into the Playstation Store will delay many fixes that I would be looking for.

I have no expectations going forward. I am playing a second time, at least as far as I can without modding the game to remove Johnny Silverhand. After that, I don't expect to return for a good long time.

No its not...if they take the story away the world will be the same..honestly the marketing ruined it for me... Everything was false like the snow this year... Is it ok for what it is? Yes, Yes it is...a movie that has No place being in an open world were they were testing some multiplayer features- looter- shooter at it best.
But they had such a good standing with people that they needed this... Why be a perfect good guy when you can be a bad dude who will still make money out of people. And they are right. People are idiots. EA is still making ton of money. Same products every year.
This game wont change for me. Expected RPG with deep elements cause THEY SAID IT... Not my dad... But whatever.

Fair enough - I won't try to change your opinion or debate, but I'll jot down my progression from 'good game with big problems' to 'excellent game with some problems' because hey, it puts context and perspective on things and why not.

The lead-up to the game had marketing (especially back in 2018 and early 2019) definitely had stuff that isn't in the game. I avoided all that, been on spoiler black out for years - so my experience was untarnished in that regard.

The main story is wrong for this game, the focus is off, and the game suffers from an identity crisis where it never knows whether to open up and release the players hand, or hold the players hand kicking and screaming the way it wants you to go.

Loaded with missed opportunities to expand the world and do things differently that it never explores.

However, where it shines, it shines a lot. My first playthrough - was very much "good game with big problems." I enjoyed it immensely and was heavily invested - but was a bit bummed by all of the above.

....it was through the second playthrough, playing very differently, that while the problems still exist, the bummed out feeling was fading in the shadow from the scope of the game. By the time I was well into my third, bummed out feeling gone and I now view the game as "excellent with some problems." This came about because I stepped away from the focus on the main story (which is far and away the weakest part of the game and holds the player back too much, and by association putting in more quality in the side quests)

There is a staggering amount of ways to approach missions, not just playstyle, but angles. There is huge amount of information to unlock, uncover and find, which alter how they play out, dialogues and further things down the line.

One gig as an example, you can go to the marker, get the object, return it. Get money. Or you could open a terminal, watch a video, find out the reason for why they want the object, then ask for more money, threaten to turn them in, kill them, or knock them out. All of those options change other gigs and dialogues with fixers down the line.

The game is loaded with them. However, they're hidden. They're not listed, the fixer says nothing outside of the base job (but there are clues), and no markers or (optional) tags come up.

When you play those in different ways through multiple playthroughs, you see how much love and care has gone into them.

It's everything I want in a choice / consequence game. Now I definitely would like to see more visual / dynamic impact on the world (that isn't there and it sucks), but I love the amount of choice that really leans into giving the player agency.

So yeah, it's got it's problems, but the extraordinary multi-layers in the gigs and side quests that can easily be blown through like a checklist if you're not exploring aren't one of them. And that's where the bulk of my nearing 300 hours of game time are.

...ok, so maybe I did start trying to change your mind, but honestly - I just wanted to write down how awesome I find this layering in game without hand holding.

So here we are boys and girls!

What do you things about the game after the month? The honeymoon period is over? Can we now look at the game with a cold eye, and see it for what it is?
I got no problem at all it run just fine, no game breaking bug no other bugs, recently watched a lot of WTF moment on youtube, but i didnt encounter any of these bug, some of them i even tried if there are present in my game (like the NPC flying bug with the mace, but it dont work)

I'm generally alright with the fact that they are holding off on the next update. I've resigned myself to the idea the January Update is likely to be closer to January 30th than January 1st. The simple fact is there was a LOT wrong with the game and I'd rather they try and fix all of it at once rather than little piecemeal fixes here and there. I also fully expect the console graphics to be massively tuned down if its necessary to stabilize the game. To which I say, "I don't care. As long as the thing fucking runs."

I played 100+ hours on my PS4 Slim and powered through DOZENS of crashes and had to reload many times to get rid of persistent bugs or quest-breaking ones. I did, though, because the game is something special.

The world is amazing and so is the storytelling.

i've very much enjoyed by experience. no latency issues to mention. bugs are there, but don't ruin the experience for me.

with that said, in a month or two when i've completed all side gigs/side quests/main quests, i'll never pick it up again. it's a good game, but the replayability, at least in my opinion, is non-existent (beyond a new play style). also to say your decisions are inconsequential would be a criminal understatement

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did you reinstall the whole game? Or you kept it installed and updated it with new patches?
Well. In my version on Xbox series x, cyberware did not work anymore. My cyberdeck was not really working as well.
All of the character debuffs were not working anymore.

I reinstalled, I deleted all my local and cloud saved files. Still everything was not functioning.

That was the tmstate of my game.

Technically, it's a desaster. The mechanics are boring and 10 years behind. The story is a mixed bag and I don't like to be the loser.

I'm at 155 hrs played and have a lot of game left to play. My newest save game file size is 4.75MB. I'm enjoying in generally speaking but overall it's missing something. It's a bit boring..I dunno. It's the same way I felt about Witcher 3, lots of meaningless busywork quests and blips on the map but it's all kind of pointless. I guess that's the kind of game CDPR makes. They have a long way to go before I'd consider any of their games even close to masterpieces.

Well. In my version on Xbox series x, cyberware did not work anymore. My cyberdeck was not really working as well.
All of the character debuffs were not working anymore.

I reinstalled, I deleted all my local and cloud saved files. Still everything was not functioning.

That was the tmstate of my game.

Technically, it's a desaster. The mechanics are boring and 10 years behind. The story is a mixed bag and I don't like to be the loser.
Before 1.06 I had bugs and glitches like anyone else. Quest-NPC bugged, running after my bike, bc it ignored me and drove solo etc. After 1.06 my radiostations went to hell and I had my first crash (after 75h) on XSX. I made the Rogue-Ending, tried to make a few gigs (boring...) and I had the feeling that the Quickhacks didn't worked reliable. Nice if you dumped 16 points in Int.
Long story short: 1.06 made a few things worse.

I refund the game this week. Maybe I would buy it again on a sale, if they would polish the game and make a V-based Storyline. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm in phase V: Acceptance.

CHOOOOMSSSSSSS
Im enjoying the game, just sad that its a disney version of a dystopian cyberpunk future, where the only cyberpunking going on, is the hate towards corporations.

As for CDPR, they seem to have overestimated there success with the witcher. While most dont admit it, the majority of the world didnt even know the witcher was a thing when witcher 3 came out. To them it was there first experience, one that had already been refined twice, and had grown naturally, and that they took for granted. And most players dont even know about the witcher 2 debacle, with the ending and how it got rewritten a la mass effect.

The witchers success relied on the foundations that were built in the previous iterations, while cyberpunks success relied 100% on the witchers success, wich is a completely different world/game, with completely different types of stories, and mechanics. This also created witcher like expectations from the public as well as corpos.

The witcher grew up like this...

The first one set the ambience, and feel of the game, one cant deny that same flavor was shared across the 3 games. The story was top notch, and started geralts legend.

The second one upped the scope, improving on the world, making it bigger, and even the romantic conquests feature got an upgrade, we went from a lewd card of the character in a sensual position, to a full fledged animation. And the world they built got bigger. It validated Geralts status a hero.

The third one with CDPR being at home, and eating breathing drinking witcher 24/7 for almost 15 years, just sent the game into overdrive and epic proportions. The technology at the time, and how much practice they had with the subject, helped them create something unique. Even the sexual content got an upgrade, now we had full fledged brothels, and of different economic status, I mean who didnt visit the cheap brothel in the ugly part of town, with the masked prostitutes. The witcher 3 immortalized Geralt as a hero, and introduced a new one, effectively restarting the cycle.

With Cyberpunk, they forgot there process, they started out at a grand/epic scale, rather than building and improving. If they would have taken the same approach and focused on building the story and setting the stage like they did on the witcher, we wouldve ended up with a small, but amazing game, with the promise of speedy sequels that would build on it.

Also corporate brings corporate expectations, and corporate prefers pg-13 games that they can market to everyone and end up with a smaller number of overall sales on hte long run, but big numbers on the short, and a game nobody will remember in a few years. Wich goes against everything the witcher was and had achieved.

Until investors realize CDPR just needs money, not to be told what to do, you can expect anything CDPR produces to be like Neo-Bioware, beautiful trash, that we gamers see the potential in, but that will never reach its full potential cuz business decisions, by people that dont even play games.

Hopefully Cyberpunk scares off all the money first guys, they jump off the boat, and CDPR can go back to being what it was before it hit big, a great game company.

I expected a game with many of the same shortcomings as the Witcher 3, and I think I can say at this point that I was still disappointed.

I simply wasn't prepared for how rushed and unfinished the game is. So many aspects of the implementation point to cut corners and hastily patched-together solutions to get the game ready to ship--even after multiple delays.

Every now and then, Cyberpunk has flashes of brilliance where you get a sense of just how good of a game it could have been with well-managed development. But most of the time, that sense is overshadowed by the practical considerations borne of releasing a product before it was ready, after years of squandered budget and development time.

160+ hours in, first play through, having a blast.

Also I am pretty sure CDPR's focus at the moment is on getting previous generation consoles squared away.

So I would not expect anything major in the form of an update that isn't some form of trickle down as a result of that.

Cheers Chooms.

A month ago Cyberpunk 2077 was released (+/- some hours depends on where you live).

State of CP month after release:
  • The game is still not available on Playstation Store. (But it runs "surprisingly well" on previous-gen of consoles).
  • The game is on version 1.06 on PC and consoles. (Stadia is still on 1.05 - 18 days after releasing 1.06).
  • Save files still get corrupted. It was never really fixed.
  • Many bugs in quests cause players to not be able to finish them.
  • Performance bugs, crashes, and glitches. (t-pose etc. )
What do you things about the game after the month? The honeymoon period is over? Can we now look at the game with a cold eye, and see it for what it is?
So far the biggest concurrent glitch I have rn is when I get off a motorcycle sometimes my character glitches(like spazzing).

A month ago Cyberpunk 2077 was released (+/- some hours depends on where you live).

State of CP month after release:
  • The game is still not available on Playstation Store. (But it runs "surprisingly well" on previous-gen of consoles).
  • The game is on version 1.06 on PC and consoles. (Stadia is still on 1.05 - 18 days after releasing 1.06).
  • Save files still get corrupted. It was never really fixed.
  • Many bugs in quests cause players to not be able to finish them.
  • Performance bugs, crashes, and glitches. (t-pose etc. )

I have not had the experience you decribe .

The software runs flawless on my PC
I have never had any sort of save corruption
I have completed the main story 2 x as well ans the majority of side quests and have not run into the tech issues other s have reported

I still stand behind my original review after a month

6.5 myself just average major flaws and disappointments but overall satisfied and feel got my moneys worth . It nothing that will enter the hall of fame but really its not worth all rage It is what it is and honestly just need to move open and wait for the "next big thing" W3 was a remarkable game ( rating of 9 in my books) but I don't think its reasonable to expect that level of success every time when there dev teams are not consistent with the team that made W3 I also think focusing on old technology is one of the reasons that caused this down fall.

Also from my personal observations Although it does happen in north America to a certain extent It seems that in the Non-North America side of the world some people like to champion the "Karen" aspect of "consumer rights" to a absurd extreme and expect everything to turn out to be a 10/10 game. (W3 has a 9.4 user score) when in reality not everything comes out perfect or as planned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom