Cyberpunk 2077 - State of game after a month

+
I wasn't shifting blame, just making a little joke.

But yeah, running decade old hardware is going to have serious limitations.
Post automatically merged:

Untrue. It exists, it's just expensive and time consuming to make it convincing to the player. We could probably do away with voice actors and use synthesized voices working off a transcript of various lines, or combining/creating lines on the fly to form unique dialog based on circumstances. But it will cost money and take a lot of time and effort to code and tweak to make it seem natural.

The systems exist, look at JALI. There are lots of existing technologies like that that can be integrated into games to increase interactivity and player choice exponentially.
Did not felt any sarcasm from the post.
Making fun of people who cannot run the game, shaming other cuz of hardware its not very ok though.

I played through once, with no interest in another as nothing will change.

AI and other massive issues aside, I really think they screwed themselves with the design direction, whether that change was due to the hiring of Keanu or time limitations.

Had they followed a similar direction as W3, with the only choice being playing a set male or female V, I feel that the story would have felt far more immersive, as well as massively simplifying things for the development teams. It would actually have felt like the 'game' we were shown in the years prior to release.

The cheap and nasty customization we got for a single player game just screams of the intent to try and make it into a GTA-online clone. Seriously, who designed it? A twelve year old? Genital sizes? Nipples or not? Considering you never even see these things in game, it was obviously aimed at online where others may actually see the character you created.

Having a set male/female V would have allowed for third person cutscenes, actual reflections of yourself in objects around the city (that immersion thing again) and in my opinion a much greater 'feeling/attachment' to the character you are playing.

I played on a brand new top end PC with everything maxed, and aside from reflections and the design of some of the major npcs, I feel the game was rather ugly and uninspired.

I actually dusted off Skyrim, and playing that, massively modded in 4k (somewhere around 900ish mods I think) the characters look better and have far more interactions than ANYTHING I saw in CP2077.

Not having played it in years I forgot a lot of things. Now I can go into a tavern, where people actually come and go, have fights, sing songs or get drunk, and where almost everyone has at least a few decent conversation lines attached, and it just reinforces just how much of a disappointment CP2077 was.

I agree the FPP bores the shit out of me, specially in the cutscenes i hate it & my wife hates it (she don't play games but likes to watch). At first it wasn't bad, but the longer I played the game the more boring I find it. imo games that are only FPP should stick to Shooters and Racing not open world action adventure wanna be rpgs. Also since the "cutscenes" are FPP and not cinematic anymore they are also ruined by the terrible lighting the game has, the aim sights that never go away, or by the store's 50m mark in the middle of the NPC your talking to forehead.

When will people finally realise that the whole "first person perspective for more immersion" was just a giant red herring, because they were unable to get the animations done properly, as would needed to be done if you were actually going to see them.

Of course they would have made it third person if they had been able to, but they simply weren't so they had to lie about it.

Admittedly, you could say they were not actually lying, because a first person perspective that is merely boring is probably still more "immersive" than a third person perspective that is unbearable to look at because of ridiculously broken animations.

State after a month:

- Not a single crash during 100h play
- few quest bugs requiring reload
- impressive performance optimatization (30 fps on 8 year old mid-end machine)
- a lot of small glitches and bugs

I got nearly every achievement aside from a few endings and a couple combat things left to do. Spent well over 200 hours, only played in the highest difficulty. I literally waited 8 years for the game. The truth is, I was glad to uninstall Cyberpunk. The game was a great cinimatic experience that was ultimately completely forgettable the moment I put it away. Take away the dialogue and story lines (which we're great, no denying) and you're left with a pretty lackluster experience. The character development was terribly boring, at no point did I ever feel excited to level up, it actually felt like a chore deciding which stat I was going to dump my next skill-point into. I went with a stealth netrunner build and quickly realized after getting the legendary nanowire that the stealth was extremely weak, so I went more tech/hacking. The hacking was just lame and repetitive, it was worse than the hacking in bioshock. Which is real bad. I probably should have went Mantis Blades, but I was saving that for my Corpo female V play-through, which I'm never going to play because I basically experienced everything the game had to offer through one playthrough. Wasn't expecting that.

State after a month:

- Not a single crash during 100h play
- few quest bugs requiring reload
- impressive performance optimatization (30 fps on 8 year old mid-end machine)
- a lot of small glitches and bugs

Not my experience. I have good hardware (3080, i7-9700k, 32GB memory, SSD), and I get crashes once an hour or two of play on average. No game breaking bugs, but lots of minor or annoying ones. The probelm is the bugs are so prevalent you can't tell what's a bug and what's designed in. I was once stuck in the relic malfunction effect for an hour after I worked on a quest. I thought the quest triggered it, so I ran around the city glitching out for an hour trying to figure out what I needed to do to get it to stop, before I realized it was a bug and reloaded the game.

When will people finally realise that the whole "first person perspective for more immersion" was just a giant red herring, because they were unable to get the animations done properly, as would needed to be done if you were actually going to see them.

Of course they would have made it third person if they had been able to, but they simply weren't so they had to lie about it.

Admittedly, you could say they were not actually lying, because a first person perspective that is merely boring is probably still more "immersive" than a third person perspective that is unbearable to look at because of ridiculously broken animations.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. I think the animations are wrong because they went first person so they didn't have to do some of the animations we'd never see. Look at NPCs...they are third person to the player and their are animated just fine. Clearly CDPR can do third person animations. It was a design choice. Though they probably did cut third person in-engine cut scenes to avoid the work of doing the animations.

I think first person *is* more immersive, and I prefer it. I don't like third person games, but I do think a 1st/3rd choice is how they should have done this game.

Last edited:
I wasn't shifting blame, just making a little joke.

But yeah, running decade old hardware is going to have serious limitations.

Untrue. It exists, it's just expensive and time consuming to make it convincing to the player. We could probably do away with voice actors and use synthesized voices working off a transcript of various lines, or combining/creating lines on the fly to form unique dialog based on circumstances. But it will cost money and take a lot of time and effort to code and tweak to make it seem natural.

The systems exist, look at JALI. There are lots of existing technologies like that that can be integrated into games to increase interactivity and player choice exponentially.
Im fine only having voice acting for characters other than the players character. I have to read my response before I give it so its not that important to hear it, IMO. The Witcher 2 and 3 are fully voice acted and still had better choices on how to complete quests so I would say the technology is widely available at this point.

Then go do it. RPG gamers will thank you.

Dunno if anything has changed / been added somewhere unseen in the background, but not had a crash worthy of the name on base PS4 for a few days now. Peculiarly though, it did look set to crash on Saturday, game froze in the usual 'busy' environment, blue screen pops up then immediately the loading screen kicked back in, and reloaded me about 2 feet away from where it had started to wig out. A total recovery, in other words, all by its lonesome. Never seen that before, maybe just lucked out and never will again. Either way the state of the game currently is such that I'm gladly recommending to friends and enquirers on PSN to ignore sony and go buy a disc copy.

Not my experience. I have good hardware (3080, i7-9700k, 32GB memory, SSD), and I get crashes once an hour or two of play on average. No game breaking bugs, but lots of minor or annoying ones. The probelm is the bugs are so prevalent you can't tell what's a bug and what's designed in. I was once stuck in the relic malfunction effect for an hour after I worked on a quest. I thought the quest triggered it, so I ran around the city glitching out for an hour trying to figure out what I needed to do to get it to stop, before I realized it was a bug and reloaded the game.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. I think the animations are wrong because they went first person so they didn't have to do some of the animations we'd never see. Look at NPCs...they are third person to the player and their are animated just fine. Clearly CDPR can do third person animations. It was a design choice. Though they probably did cut third person in-engine cut scenes to avoid the work of doing the animations.

I think first person *is* more immersive, and I prefer it. I don't like third person games, but I do think a 1st/3rd choice is how they should have done this game.

I am pretty convinced that the decision to go first person was made to save work, and not for any other reason.

Why I think so:
1. They already had a lot of third person cutscenes and animations done before they made the decision to go first person. There is also a high risk involved, and that risk even manifested itself for example in the fact that the eye level of the character is generally too low (about neck level), which can be very dramatically perceived inside cars.

2. There are plenty of things that hurt immersion very much. To bring forward the idea that now *extra work* would need to be invested to *switch* to first person relatively late in the game's development, specifically to help with immersion, while at the same time, having *plenty* of other immersion-breaking issues, that have not had any work done on them yet (i.e actual *content*, like NPCs that have AI, cars / NPCs that don't disappear / change their appearance when looking away(!), police system, mini games, etc.), doesn't add up for me.

Either way it points to a very bad development strategy and feedback, at best.
The most plausible theory for me is that the decision was an immediate result of people (Senior Animators probably) leaving the company.

Last edited:
I got nearly every achievement aside from a few endings and a couple combat things left to do. Spent well over 200 hours, only played in the highest difficulty. I literally waited 8 years for the game. The truth is, I was glad to uninstall Cyberpunk. The game was a great cinimatic experience that was ultimately completely forgettable the moment I put it away. Take away the dialogue and story lines (which we're great, no denying) and you're left with a pretty lackluster experience.
And that's a good example of very different expectations and thus can have very different opinions on the game.

Take away the dialogue and storylines, and I would probably not even be interested in this game.
The only reason I even played TOR for a few months was because there was a great story to be had. Mass Effect and Witcher excited me beause of the story, not of what gameplay they offered. (Mass Effect 3, to be fair, had some cool stuff that I could also accept its multiplayer player mode for a while, because the gameplay with some o the character builds was pretty cool. Biotic Charge is awesome. But on the negative side, I ultimately stopped playing TOR because I hated the gameplay).

Cyberpunk did the thing right that it needed to get right for me. While still offering pretty cool gameplay. I really like that you can tackle missions and side gigs in so different ways, there isn't a strict mission script you have to follow, you can go stealthy, shotgun-blasting, hacking with blades or a cyberdeck, you can jump up a roof to sneak into an open window or go through the front entrance. The only problem is the balance here, because the game gets too easy if you get deeper into the build and stack up on armor mods.
And I've never felt so "in-character" in any computer game before. The FPS, the voice acting, the animations, they just cooperate in a beautiful manner to suck me into the game.

Yeah, if you take away the story and dialogues, the game wouldn't be as great, but that feels to me like saying: "If you take the car races out of Need for Speed, no one would care... " or "if you take the house building out of Sims, it wouldn't be as big..."

Hard to say. I haven't touched it for several months now. It's honestly lost its luster for me. I'm waiting on the DLC coming out in the future.

Watched Gamers Nexus video today: NVIDIA GTX 960 in 2021 Revisit: 4GB & 2GB Benchmarks vs. 2060, 3060 Ti, Used GPUs, & More:

And in the part with Cyberpunk 2077 you can see how broken the game still is. Although only 30 seconds long the part was riddle with bugs.
First floating newspapers which can hold u:
cyber_1.png

cyber_2.png

Next its going up on the invisible ladder:
cyber_3.png

And last car making a flip in the air because hit a NPC:
cyber_4.png

cyber_5.png

That's weird, because my experience of 110h was played my old PC:

8 GB RAM
GeForce 660 ti
SSD drive

So here we are boys and girls!

A month ago Cyberpunk 2077 was released (+/- some hours depends on where you live).

State of CP month after release:
  • The game is still not available on Playstation Store. (But it runs "surprisingly well" on previous-gen of consoles).
  • The game is on version 1.06 on PC and consoles. (Stadia is still on 1.05 - 18 days after releasing 1.06).
  • Save files still get corrupted. It was never really fixed.
  • Many bugs in quests cause players to not be able to finish them.
  • Performance bugs, crashes, and glitches. (t-pose etc. )
What do you things about the game after the month? The honeymoon period is over? Can we now look at the game with a cold eye, and see it for what it is?
Nothing have changed for me in regards to where CP is, its pretty much as where it was when I finished it :)

Does anyone actually have it on Stadia? And how does it play, because I thought Stadia was as close to being 10 feet under as humanly possible?

And that's a good example of very different expectations and thus can have very different opinions on the game.

Take away the dialogue and storylines, and I would probably not even be interested in this game.
The only reason I even played TOR for a few months was because there was a great story to be had. Mass Effect and Witcher excited me beause of the story, not of what gameplay they offered. (Mass Effect 3, to be fair, had some cool stuff that I could also accept its multiplayer player mode for a while, because the gameplay with some o the character builds was pretty cool. Biotic Charge is awesome. But on the negative side, I ultimately stopped playing TOR because I hated the gameplay).

Cyberpunk did the thing right that it needed to get right for me. While still offering pretty cool gameplay. I really like that you can tackle missions and side gigs in so different ways, there isn't a strict mission script you have to follow, you can go stealthy, shotgun-blasting, hacking with blades or a cyberdeck, you can jump up a roof to sneak into an open window or go through the front entrance. The only problem is the balance here, because the game gets too easy if you get deeper into the build and stack up on armor mods.
And I've never felt so "in-character" in any computer game before. The FPS, the voice acting, the animations, they just cooperate in a beautiful manner to suck me into the game.

Yeah, if you take away the story and dialogues, the game wouldn't be as great, but that feels to me like saying: "If you take the car races out of Need for Speed, no one would care... " or "if you take the house building out of Sims, it wouldn't be as big..."

If the things designed to make a game fun aren't designed well, it takes away from the game's overall experience. You couldn't have Sims without the building mechanics and you couldn't play NFS without racing cars, just like you can't have an RPG without character development or combat without enemies. There are bad racing games and bad simulators because they don't execute their controls or UI well or lack depth or end up being repetitive, etc etc. People still play and enjoy them, but that doesn't make them "great"games by any means.

Does anybody else get PTSD from hearing that sound when an enemy is in contact with you? It sounds like "WWJJII", and it's freakin torture!

So here we are again 3 months later.

I am happy to tell you, that the game is finally... exactly the same as before.

State of CP 3 months after release:
  • The game is still not available on Playstation Store. (But it runs "surprisingly well" on previous-gen of consoles).
I can not wait for the next month. :)

So here we are again 3 months later.

I am happy to tell you, that the game is finally... exactly the same as before.

State of CP 3 months after release:
I can not wait for the next month. :)
And again the above rings true for just a subset of people. (with exception of the playstation store thing offcourse ;) )
I for one continue to have a near smooth gameplay experience with regards to points 2 and 3, and only experience minor glitches such as Tpose NPCs every once in a blue moon and the occasional motorcycle being gifted from the heavens.

The above to highlight its not all bad for everyone, before the swarms of negative-oreinted comments will roll in.

Top Bottom