Cyberpunk 2077: Survival Mode Difficulty

+

Should Cyberpunk 2077 add a Survival-mode with eating, drinking and sleeping modifying responses?

• Yes, in base game

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Yes, in DLC

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • No, nope, never

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Foolish question, NorseGraphics, you're an idiot.

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
I wonder what difficulty-settings the developers are going to include in Cyberpunk 2077, as upping the AI, lethal headshots etc. might not be enough for some gamers. So, here's my idea. Survival-mode that includes eating, drinking and sleeping to avoid hunger, thirst and fatigue that will modify your responses accordingly. When you're hunger, thirsty and fatigued, your response is slower than default, and this will make the game a bit more difficult. How much food, drink and sleep would the playing character need? 3 meals, drinks and 8 hour sleep a day should suffice to keep V's senses sharp and clear.

Yes, I'm used to play in Survival-mode in Fallout 4...

Well, this is an interesting idea to implement. While I don't use Survival mode, I am an avid player of Frostfall/Campfire in Skyrim.
I'm not sure if a Survival mode would fit in this game, but including the ability to eat, drink, rest, etc should be implemented like they are in Fallout and Skyrim. Something like that would be nice.

Or they could go the Sleeping Dogs route. That game had a ton of little immersion features that you don't really expect in an action game like that.

I don't see this as a matter of difficulty, I see it as an extra feature to satisfy ultra-immersionists.

And yes, I would love for the game to have that option.

As in real life I would love to see consequences of not taking care of your body. Ofc you can go on drugs like amphetamine or other stimulants and not sleep, eat (you still have to drink) but there must be cost of doing so.

+1 to Survival Difficulty.

I love playing games like that because it adds another layer of depth and interest to many items and mechanics that you normally (could) ignore. Like food and drinks, let's say that by default they give you some small boosts to stats and that's it. You probably figure out which one works the best for your build, you go to the vendor once, buy a lot of them and that's it.

Survival adds much more depth to that. You probably wouldn't be able to carry too many of these items, you won't always be able to afford it, the best boosting items might have side effects that are unbearable on that difficulty, eating / drinking the same item over and over again can have serious negative impacts on your body and so on. You would need to visit vendors from time to time to buy all kinds of different food and manage your money. Maybe also kind of cool factor increase if you eat at fancy restaurants?

-1 from me . nope..just nope .

I remember trying that damn mod in Skyrim , and it become nothing but a chore . felt like a zombie looking for brain lol

I want to drink booze and eat . But I wanna do it whenever I feel like it . Not have a message at the top of my screen reminding me 'You need to eat !' .

-1 from me . nope..just nope .

I remember trying that damn mod in Skyrim , and it become nothing but a chore . felt like a zombie looking for brain lol

I want to drink booze and eat . But I wanna do it whenever I feel like it . Not have a message at the top of my screen reminding me 'You need to eat !' .
You know you will not have to use it, right? Such things are always optional and have separate difficulty set for them.

You know you will not have to use it, right? Such things are always optional and have separate difficulty set for them.
you sure?

I know some difficulty can have stuff to them that say you can't see in normal or hard . But a system like eating and sleeping..how that will even work ? Usually its either toggled for the whole game or not at all . :unsure:

you sure?

I know some difficulty can have stuff to them that say you can't see in normal or hard . But a system like eating and sleeping..how that will even work ? Usually its either toggled for the whole game or not at all . :unsure:

After playing Fallout 4, eg. you'd see how it affects your ability to sprint distances. With tiredness it'd affect your ability to steady-aim. Many small things that by themselves doesn't mean much, but when added up can make the difficulty more challenging. And it should of course be optional!!

Survival Mode is a full, alternative play style. Once you start an SM game, you can't switch between it and Normal Mode.

Theoretically, you could have difficulty levels in SM that are separate from NM by determining health & damage, to both the player and the enemies, how often the player needs to eat and drink, how much can they carry, the availability of resources, etc. Most games don't do this, however, as it's supposed to be tough.

It is entirely optional in Fallout 4, and you can switch back to normal mode whenever you want, but cannot return to survival mode again after that, as far as I know.

Anyway, I can imagine CP2077 having some sort of "hardcore" difficulty, but not one where you need to eat and sleep regularly, it just makes combat more lethal, maybe restricts saving and fast travel, and turns off or reduces various forms of hand holding (markers etc.). The Witcher 2 already has a perma-death mode, so this kind of feature would not be entirely new for CDPR.

It is entirely optional in Fallout 4, and you can switch back to normal mode whenever you want, but cannot return to survival mode again after that, as far as I know.

Anyway, I can imagine CP2077 having some sort of "hardcore" difficulty, but not one where you need to eat and sleep regularly, it just makes combat more lethal, maybe restricts saving and fast travel, and turns off or reduces various forms of hand holding (markers etc.).
Oh I know..

I think its called Ironmode right ? where you only have one save and can't save scum(?) right ?

There was one in xcom if I remember right .

But I never heard of an ironmode or an insanity mode that have something like eating or sleeping though .

you sure?

It's simply tied down to the difficulty setting - that's the easiest approach. You play the game on Easy, Normal, Hard or Hardcore difficulty and you have normal, base game, only different in terms of the combat difficulty - no eating, sleeping and any other survival-like features. And then you have one more difficulty level called "Survival", which is the hardest, and when enabled, adds plenty of survival-like features.

Some games even go further than that and separate survival features from difficulty entirely - Fallout New Vegas did that. It was a completely different switch. Difficulty setting controlled combat dificulty and so on, while other option allowed you to enable or disable survival features regardless of the difficulty you chose (so you could play on Very Hard without any survival stuff or on Easy with Survival features). I don't know of any RPG game that absolutely forces that on you. Unless we're talking about typical survival games, like The Forest, where survival features are simply the core of the game. That's not the case here.

I'm a fan of these "realistic" modes in games. Every TES/Fallout3+ game this is the first mod(s) to install for me.
I'd certainly enjoy such an option in CP2077 as it tends to add to the immersion and replayability.

Actually: "eating, drinking and sleeping"aren't a problem in Cyberpunk 2020.
If there has to be survival, it would be a mode which represents lethality as it is in the tabletop RPG.
That's how I see it anyway.

Last edited:
I'm ok with a Survival Mode, tho, I still wait to see the "real" game.
That gameplay demo felt mostly like a showoff (of course the fights looks easy if you're doing a lvl1 missions with end-game tools and skills...).
I wait to see a casual dude playing it and dying like an idiot (ie, like I'd do) to judge the real difficulty from the game (since I'm far from being a CS-pro-player).

Here, the game looks badass, but yeah, I'm not really concerned about the fights yet, they seems unpolished and unrealistic (since over-powered and played by a dude that would play better than most of us no matter what and already knows everything about the game, so can't do stupid mistakes we'd do).

I don't think it's good idea, Fallout 4 is based in postapo world with few people who survived (at least Bethesda's version of Falout), you living in atomic wasteland, so you fight to survive.
In CB2077 we got full living city with traders/restaurants in every corner, how will it work?
On other hand I've played a lot of survival mode in Fallout4:
1. I was bored from running, (finished DLCs but not main story...)
2. Eating, drinking, sleeping is damn pointless in video games,especially RPG's (I've done this with New Vegas and F4...) imo
3. It's enough to increase difficulty of combat/sneaking, other things are just annoying as hell, if they influence only your stats, at least in New Vegas stats were used to speech checks,so things could get complicated, but in F4...it's just painfull waste of time.
That's just my opinion.

Top Bottom