Cyberpunk 2077: Survival Mode Difficulty

+

Should Cyberpunk 2077 add a Survival-mode with eating, drinking and sleeping modifying responses?

• Yes, in base game

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Yes, in DLC

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • No, nope, never

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Foolish question, NorseGraphics, you're an idiot.

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
what if you have to recharge your implants over time otherwise they dont work instead of eating and sleeping the technology is probably so advanced you wouldnt have to do things like such
That's a really good idea , maybe do some maintenance using your money at the "X" shop or whatever.
But i still like the survival idea for drinking -eating and all , also i would love to smoke whenever i want while I walk through the city :p

I don't think it should be a mode to force the player to eat, sleep etc. I role play in games like this most of the time, but players can do this themselves. No need to make a mode, let the players role play for themselves. A mechanical representation of tiredness or hunger would likely feel forced IMO.

My biggest problem is haven't seen any game that get it right. I think the developers fear that a light touch doesn't affect gameplay enough to make the feature worth while, or that it woun't be visible in the marketing material, so instead, they dial it to eleven- you starve to death if you don't eat anything for ten minutes.

Games do tend to have accelerated time scales, for example, it takes 45 game hours to become severely dehydrated in Fallout 4, and 64 hours from well fed to starving (sleeping extends the numbers somewhat), but those are 20 times faster in real time. And it all needs to be balanced with the availability of food and water. Also, for such mechanic to be really worth adding to a game, acquiring food and water (hunting, farming, building, etc.) needs to be at least somewhat interesting and challenging, if it is trivial to find enough food, then having to consume it regularly becomes mostly just extra inventory management. In terms of the narrative, it might not fit the game for V to have to worry about starvation.

It always sounds nice on paper, but in game it essentially becomes a chore, so no thank you, it's just a useless chore in practice.

And this is NOT a survival game, want survival games, check steam there are at least 10 or so bigger ones. I don't think RPG should be mixed with survival, especially as I said it's just boring garbage in practice.

Well, an option is only an option so I'm never against things I'm not forced to use so if they implement such a thing (without delaying the release ;) ) then I'm not fussed.

My personal taste for these things is very specific though. I only use modes like this if I feel it really fits the context of the game. I loved it in New Vegas and I used it in F4 too for my initial playthrough. For some reason I preferred it in New Vegas. Anyway, in those games it felt right to me. You're in a wasteland, resources are scarce. Feeling like a rugged wanderer, scraping a living together was interesting and survival mode enhanced that.

However, in a game like CP2077, I'd feel no need to use it. Drinks machines, fast food shops etc are all plentiful. It's not Mad Max, you know? Needing food and drink would just mean going to a vendor. I don't feel forcing me to go to the shops would add anything. It's not like wandering the wastelands looking for signs of life so you can scavenge something and get yourself in tip-top shape for the next raider encounter. For me it would be busy work. No one else in the city, save the homeless perhaps, would be dealing with such problems so why would V?

I suppose you could have things like drug-withdrawal and side effects but but food, shelter and water? Hmm, doesn't feel right.

This sounds more like a 'real life simulator mode' than 'survival' mode since there's no challenge taking a detour from a side quest you're on just to go to a supermarket.....unless a gunfight breaks out in the frozen food department, of course.

PART 1

I'm sure the developers are aware of The Witcher 3: Enhanced Edition, which made the game much more realistic, added new survival elements and reworked some core gameplay mechanics like leveling. If you were to take elements of it's survival and apply it to Cyberpunk, it would please quite a larger audience who want more realism and immersion. This should be done as a separate play-through, a mode that you could choose when starting a new play-through. Many of the possible features I will mention shouldn't be excluded from the normal game.
As for the actual elements of a Survival Mode, there are many, which are as follows:

1. New Option menu, where a player can switch specific functions on/off and to possibly even change values/factors of said parameters. ( for example, requirement for food/drink, if true, then how much food/drink per time unit). Since people have preferences, this would ease the balancing of such mode, allow more varied gameplay experiences and bring the game closer toward perfection. Making the menu filled with too many options causes frustration and is off-putting, which is why the most basic option should be presented and more precise and niche options should be available only through advanced options menu.

2. List of possible features/parameters starting with the obvious:
Requirement for food, drink, sleep, medicine, warmth, maintenance, addictions, mental health and bodily excretions.
Any/all such needs should be based on the character, environment and physical activity.
Any/all such needs are reliant on the technology/cyberware installed within the character.
Some needs would be influenced by decisions made in character creation menu

As for nutrients, food should be varied, water should be best to quench thirst, but low on energy. eating more sugar gives more energy and balances mental health, but causes addiction at long run. healthy food is more expensive, harder to find, gives less boost in energy and mental health, but doesn't cause addiction. Nightcity should be a unhealthy place that doesn't care about health, at least on the lower levels of society.

Sleep should be optional, but it should give bonuses. FAQ is that "When does my character sleep?" and the clever answer is "The same time you sleep."

Medicine and Maintenance would include normal medicine for biological diseases (like STDs, common cold) and anti-virus "medicine" for malware such as Spyware and Adware. Maintenance could include oil changes, repair of damaged parts and equipment repair (guns, swords and whatnot). Medicine could be bought from normal stores, but more advanced stuff, like cybernetics could only be repaired by a professional.

Warmth: Wearing too much on a hot day and not drinking could cause hyperthermia and not wearing enough clothes on a cold day for an extended period would cause hypothermia. On a side not, it would be amazing if you could attain a health insurance that would be summoned whenever you were about to pass out from any biological dysfunction (like lack of food, but not alcohol).

Mental health and addiction: Mental health would affect your leveling speed, health, every possible regeneration and physical attributes like concentration which in turn would decrease accuracy. Mental health would be decreased by poor physical condition, like poor diet, lack of nutrients/addictive substances, diseases , wounds and torture. Decreased by choices/actions made within the game, like stressful situations, loss of people close to you, addictions, acting out of your character, ( as in, doing something horrible like killing an innocent civilian, when you have been the good guy the whole game). As you progress through the game, these things will affect you mental state less over time as you get more accustomed to it. Addictions are caused by constant use of addictive substances, such as alcohol, drugs, sugar or sex(?), and after getting addicted, not consuming the specific substance will decrease your mental health dramatically over time, unless you get medical help or wait a (very very) long time for you to be cured of your addiction. Addictive substances would have great short term bonuses but with negative long term effects.

Bodily excretions: umm, nope

Stay tuned for PART 2

Survival mode Bethesda style has always been a big questionmark and disappointment for me. They always overdo it. People ask for hunger and thirst, and the need to sleep... you know, a tad of Sims or realism into their RPG experience. Bethesda slaps you in the face with a Navy Seal boot camp! "You want survival .. survive this you piece of (random negative words)". And all of a sudden you're nerfed to the bone, along with the inability to use some basic gameplay features. Their Survival setting is just too black and white.

Options .. options is always good. Let me chose what I want for my survival mode and I'd love one.

Survival mode Bethesda style has always been a big questionmark and disappointment for me. They always overdo it. People ask for hunger and thirst, and the need to sleep... you know, a tad of Sims or realism into their RPG experience. Bethesda slaps you in the face with a Navy Seal boot camp! "You want survival .. survive this you piece of (random negative words)". And all of a sudden you're nerfed to the bone, along with the inability to use some basic gameplay features. Their Survival setting is just too black and white.

Options .. options is always good. Let me chose what I want for my survival mode and I'd love one.
I think the real problem is the lack of depth and reality. It should be something that should be payed attention to. Black and White seems an Understatement. Its colorless.
Post automatically merged:

Colorless, bleak, lacking in any environment or blissfully boring unbelievable and Ignorant.
Post automatically merged:

From what I see CB2077 is doing everything right that fallout 4 did wrong.

Im not into Japanese style dificulty, where it is mostly about more twitch, but I love epic dificulties like this, that incl. survival, planning and being tactical. So yes, if possible, I am all for it!

My fondest memories of games of the Souls series and Bloodborn bring a great joy of frustration to my Cyberpunk heart 👺💜

Those were exactly the games I thought about :D

I remember as a younger me, being super frustrated with some games take on what it should take to get those pesky platinum trophies :D

I digged the diff as a kid, but I am 31 now, and even tho still young by todays standards, my twitch skills have gone down hill, and will only continue to do so.

PART 1

I'm sure the developers are aware of The Witcher 3: Enhanced Edition, which made the game much more realistic, added new survival elements and reworked some core gameplay mechanics like leveling. If you were to take elements of it's survival and apply it to Cyberpunk, it would please quite a larger audience who want more realism and immersion. This should be done as a separate play-through, a mode that you could choose when starting a new play-through. Many of the possible features I will mention shouldn't be excluded from the normal game.
As for the actual elements of a Survival Mode, there are many, which are as follows:

1. New Option menu, where a player can switch specific functions on/off and to possibly even change values/factors of said parameters. ( for example, requirement for food/drink, if true, then how much food/drink per time unit). Since people have preferences, this would ease the balancing of such mode, allow more varied gameplay experiences and bring the game closer toward perfection. Making the menu filled with too many options causes frustration and is off-putting, which is why the most basic option should be presented and more precise and niche options should be available only through advanced options menu.
So basically an MCM menu like that of Realistic Needs and Diseases or Frostfall. I can get behind this.

2. List of possible features/parameters starting with the obvious:
Requirement for food, drink, sleep, medicine, warmth, maintenance, addictions, mental health and bodily excretions.
Any/all such needs should be based on the character, environment and physical activity.
Any/all such needs are reliant on the technology/cyberware installed within the character.
Some needs would be influenced by decisions made in character creation menu
I'm not sure about the decisions being influenced by the character creation menu, but the others sound pretty good.

As for nutrients, food should be varied, water should be best to quench thirst, but low on energy. eating more sugar gives more energy and balances mental health, but causes addiction at long run. healthy food is more expensive, harder to find, gives less boost in energy and mental health, but doesn't cause addiction. Nightcity should be a unhealthy place that doesn't care about health, at least on the lower levels of society.
I disagree on the addiction part. I think that should be more for drug use or the like.

Sleep should be optional, but it should give bonuses. FAQ is that "When does my character sleep?" and the clever answer is "The same time you sleep."
Why make sleep optional? If you're going for the full immersive mode, sleep should be required.

Medicine and Maintenance would include normal medicine for biological diseases (like STDs, common cold) and anti-virus "medicine" for malware such as Spyware and Adware. Maintenance could include oil changes, repair of damaged parts and equipment repair (guns, swords and whatnot). Medicine could be bought from normal stores, but more advanced stuff, like cybernetics could only be repaired by a professional.
Judging by what we saw in the demo, the Ripperdoc (is that what it's called?) seems to be your go-to guy for cybernetics, so I think that's already been implemented. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Warmth: Wearing too much on a hot day and not drinking could cause hyperthermia and not wearing enough clothes on a cold day for an extended period would cause hypothermia. On a side not, it would be amazing if you could attain a health insurance that would be summoned whenever you were about to pass out from any biological dysfunction (like lack of food, but not alcohol).
So basically take Frostfall, add a hyperthermia component, and put it in. As a Frostfall player, I can get behind this.
The health insurance part seems to be Trauma Team as we saw in the demo. I'd imagine we would be able to attain some sort of TT level as we progress through the game.

Mental health and addiction: Mental health would affect your leveling speed, health, every possible regeneration and physical attributes like concentration which in turn would decrease accuracy. Mental health would be decreased by poor physical condition, like poor diet, lack of nutrients/addictive substances, diseases , wounds and torture. Decreased by choices/actions made within the game, like stressful situations, loss of people close to you, addictions, acting out of your character, ( as in, doing something horrible like killing an innocent civilian, when you have been the good guy the whole game). As you progress through the game, these things will affect you mental state less over time as you get more accustomed to it. Addictions are caused by constant use of addictive substances, such as alcohol, drugs, sugar or sex(?), and after getting addicted, not consuming the specific substance will decrease your mental health dramatically over time, unless you get medical help or wait a (very very) long time for you to be cured of your addiction. Addictive substances would have great short term bonuses but with negative long term effects.
The last time I saw a game implement some sort of a mental health thing was Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, but that was its core focus. This would be a very intriguing element to include, but it would also have to balance out with the personality your character has. Put simply, it's a consequence for acting OOC. I wonder how they would include this?
As for addiction, I agree, though not with the sex.
Bodily excretions: umm, nope
Agreed.

what if you have to recharge your implants over time otherwise they dont work instead of eating and sleeping the technology is probably so advanced you wouldnt have to do things like such
While I sort of agree with this, we have to keep in mind that realistic technological advancements would not fit the theme of the game and reality is not as exiting as fantasy.
V still drinks soda, brushes her teeth, probably showers and goes to the toilet. With these facts in mind, it is safe to assume that his/her organs are still natural and require same maintenance as we do. Natural organs require nutrients obtained through eating. So why not both normal eating and also recharging of cybernetics. Although even as we speak, wireless charging and batteries that can charge within seconds are being developed.

Top Bottom