Cyberpunk 2077: The Perfect RPG

+
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the greatest RPG yet. In 2011 Skyrim was considered the cutting edge, then in 2015 the Witcher 3 proved Bethesda wrong, now hopefully coming in 2019, Cyberpunk 2077 will top the Witcher 3 as the RPG of the decade.

Here is why I believe it will be so

In the 70s PnP RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons redefined games before video games even existed, giving players the ability to have full freedom to escape and become someone different and become part of a world of imagination.

Then the 80s came with the CRPG which were mostly basic dungeon crawlers with little roleplaying ability and poor world design but it was a start nonetheless

1991 changed that with Ultima VII which increased the roleplaying ability and world design. In the late 90s Interplay were the kings with Baldurs Gate and Fallout 1 and 2 taking it up a notch by creating non linear experiences with an incredible story and world. However they lacked a proper customization and character creation.

However in the 00s Bethesda and Bioware rose to the top representing two different approaches of developing RPGs. Morrowind and Oblivion were heavily influenced by 80s dungeon crawlers with high non linearity, immersion and character customization but suffered from weak storytelling and world building whereas games like Mass Effect had strong storytelling, action combat and introduced the voiced protagonist but suffered from high linearity and weak customization.

Which leads me to Cyberpunk 2077, we have all seen the demo. Right from the get go we saw a shit ton of character creation/customization options. Then in the rescue quest we heard V as a voiced protagonist, shooting mechanics and amazing levels of immersion. After that starting from V's apartment we were thrust into the strong story and breathtaking world with so much detail and atmosphere. Then with the Corpo quest we witnessed the high non linearity of the game.

According to CDPR employees like Kyle Rowley and Miles Tost, this is just the tip of the iceberg. For example side quests are interwoven with the storyline, there will be even more ways to customize your character, NPCs will have a massive library of animations to enhance immersion and Night City will be massive with an actual undercity and overcity. The story will be filled to the brim with neo noir and rock n roll and linearity so low that you can even scrub the clap off the cred chip and become allies with Maelstrom by buying the spider-bot outright without a firefight.

Oh and its the first real cyberpunk open world video game

Guys this game is the RPG we have always dreamed of but have never got until now.

This will revolutionize the modern RPG!!!!!!

I find your enthusiasm and optimism a pleasant surprise. I truly hope this game is everything you hope for.

Me personally, I do not believe I will ever be truly satisfied with an RPG. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy them, but I have always felt something to just be missing. Some little niche that only I, or very very few of the playerbase, would enjoy and appriciate. My "perfect RPG" will never exist. Many have gotten close, and I too am confident that Cyberpunk 2077 could be as close to perfect as it may ever get. But I also know that the game will lack some feature or option that only I would want.

No offense, man, but it's not a healthy approach. Keep your expectations at bay. From my experience (I play games for 25 years already), too many projects were shaping as the greatest thing ever and failed. I'm not saying that CDPR will fail, but expecting a dream came true or the greatest ever is never a good idea. It's better to be positively surprised.

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the greatest RPG yet. In 2011 Skyrim was considered the cutting edge, then in 2015 the Witcher 3 proved Bethesda wrong, now hopefully coming in 2019, Cyberpunk 2077 will top the Witcher 3 as the RPG of the decade.
It certainly looks like it'll be good, but we'll see how it stacks up to others. Ultimately the story itself has to be top notch before it can claim something near the top (which is why Skyrim shouldn't really be in this conversation IMO), and we know very little about the story and it's quality yet. While I have faith in CDPR's writers, creating a top-notch non-linear story in an open world is really hard. It involves the interplay of writers, quest designers, level designers, and etc all coming together the create something poignant and cohesive. I'm sure it'll be "good," but I'm not ready to say it'll be the end-all-be-all of gaming stories before learning more.

Then there is the issue of mechanics, a great story is necessary for a great game, but game mechanics that support and enhance the story they are trying to tell are almost as important (and some would probably say more important). Dialogue, combat, cinematics, exploration, character progression, experimentation, netrunning, puzzles, crafting, world economy, vehicular travel etc etc are all going to need to be at passable to great in order for the game to sit near the top ... with several of the systems leaning towards great.

One thing that does look really strong so far is the milieu and "feel" of the setting. The combat looks fun IMO (though many here would argue the point). Dialogue system looks exciting. Most of the other stuff we need more information about to get a full picture.

TL;DR - It looks like it'll be good, but lets wait for more info before we go around making declarations.

(All of this is being said while I sit on top of an unlocked box with "RAWLS'S HYPE" written on it as I desperately try to keep it closed while some terrible creature struggles for freedom from within)

Also, I think 2020 is more likely than 2019, but I digress.

Last edited:
I think that CP2077 has the chance to revolutionize RPGs, but only if devs are brave enough to refuse the status quo of RPGs and change some mechanics. I don't want to repeat myself too many times (and I did already), but how level system was implemented in TW3 and almost all RPGs is something that breaks immersion and in my opinion should be changed. Enough with suspension of disbelief, I want a more realistic approach (not fully realistic of course, that's boring).

Stats are fine, levels can be fine, but I don't want to be limited by my character's level in doing things or taking decisions. I don't want to read "level 32 quest" knowing I cannot make it, I don't want to find a random level 15 epic shotgun that looks exactly the same the one I already have, but has +10% DMG for random reason or that I cannot handle because I'm level 10. These things make no sense in real life and shouldn't make sense in videogames as well.

This is my only conditio sine qua non I could see CP2077 as a revolutionary game. Other games have open worlds, first person, dialogues, good side quests, no loading screens, cyberpunk setting. To revolutionize means "changing the status quo, doing somenthing new", not just "to be an excellent game", that's why I say that the only revolution brought by red dead redemption 2 is its quality (it does almost everything perfect), but mechanics are the same seen a lot of times before.

Just my opinion, of course.

P.S. to be clear, I am sooooo hyped for CP2077, this is the only game forum I have ever been registered to, and I'm here because I believe CDP is the only company able to revolutionize RPGs nowadays, but only if they are brave. Worst case scenario, CP2077 is gonna be "just" a glorious game. Of this I'm sure.

The game will be great, easy, it is quite possible it will be the best action RPG to date, easy. But perfect? No. The game already makes compromises. To be perfect, the game must not make compromises, yet be able to satisfy all audience save for some stupid angry kids who never get satisfied. And CP77 has already got a huge hater audience (Becuse no rain and HIV!) :)

Hmm, Skyrim with mods is still pretty dope in 2018. Especially the special edition version. Dragon Age Origins and Awakening are also good benchmarks in 2018, with mods of course. I'm certain CP2077 will be great. I just hope it has proper mod support. That's how games remain great even after years.

I think it will be a good (amazing, probably) game, I don't know if it will be the "perfect RPG."

The Outer Worlds is still on the horizon. New Vegas still exists. Neither game is (or probably will be) perfect, but they are much closer to what I consider a modern RPG to be.

The game will be great, easy, it is quite possible it will be the best action RPG to date, easy. But perfect? No. The game already makes compromises. To be perfect, the game must not make compromises, yet be able to satisfy all audience save for some stupid angry kids who never get satisfied. And CP77 has already got a huge hater audience (Becuse no rain and HIV!) :)

What I'm saying is that I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be the closest we have gotten to a tabletop experience in terms of pure roleplay. It does seem to blend the best elements of the best RPGs really well. Haters will be haters though :)

What I'm saying is that I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be the closest we have gotten to a tabletop experience in terms of pure roleplay. It does seem to blend the best elements of the best RPGs really well. Haters will be haters though :)
I'd say it's not even close to tabletop, in terms of roleplay or otherwise. But that's OK, it doesn't need to to be a good game.

Also, important to distinguish between criticism and hate. People not liking the game's current state != hate. I'm not one of the people that dislikes the game, for the record. I love what I've seen and can't wait to play.

I'd say even Skyrim is more of a "role-playing" game than Cyberpunk 2077, due to the player freedom and opportunity for interaction with world.

I thing the game will be good, like Mass Effect level or even better if the open world good (which I think it will).
But yet there's also a lot of thing (some of them already confirmed) that makes me thing the game will be lacking in the roleplay department, like the fact the game tells its story by choosing the major lines of "who" is V instead of choosing just "what happens" to V.

I don't think it will feel more like a tabletop than Baulder's Gate II. That game basically is a tabletop, but with a limited set of choices for the player, and the actions represented on the screen.

Top Bottom