Cyberpunk 2077 User Reviews & Impressions

+
PC version. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, bugs and all. As of update 1.6 a majority of the most glaring bugs, with the exception of texture issues, have been brought under control. I'm sure as further updates come along the other issues will be addressed as well.

Hopefully they'll add the ability to disable cars by shooting out their tires and add watercraft, playable or not, cruising up and down the rivers and address the npc children wandering alone in the city.

Last edited:
PC version. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, bugs and all. As of update 1.6 a majority of the most glaring bugs, with the exception of texture issues, have been brought under control. I'm sure as further updates come along the other issues will be addressed as well.

Hopefully they'll add the ability to disable cars by shooting out their tires and add watercraft, playable or not, cruising up and down the rivers and address the npc children wandering alone in the city.
I think I only saw one actual child other than River's niece and nephew, the others on the street appeared to be adults of short stature.

Taking into consideration that a game this big was going to be off to a rough start no matter what, I won't say any more about that. Just like the Witcher games the controls are a bit sluggish and not super intuitive but it doesn't take long to get used to that and enjoy the game. I think it took me until sometime into chapter 2 before I really began to enjoy playing and shortly after that I had trouble logging out! At this point, I'm all in and really appreciate all that has been put in to the game. I'm not even finished yet and already looking forward to my next play through. Like many good stories, it requires a bit of patience at first before it really begins to pull you in.

photomode_07012021_234410.png

Hello everyone! After playing through Cyberpunk 2077 I just need to write my own review. I think it maybe adressed slightly more to other studios that are planning to make a game in cyberpunk genre than to CDPR itself, because it's a bit late to remake the game completely.

I rated the game 4/5 on GOG, and to be more specific – I gave 3 for the game itself plus 1 for the effort. CDPR wanted to create something unachiavable and now we all see the result.

SPOILERS ALERT.

So, what exactly was unachievable in such game? Why there are so many bugs that sometimes not just absurd or funny, but also interfer with story and playthough? The answer is simple – the result they wanted to have cannot be achieved even with all the modern game development tools. CDPR wanted a huge living open world city with crowds of people and car traffic mixed with cinematic non-linear story mixed with RPG gameplay. Give me a break! How are you going to mix all of this in one game without getting a buggy mess as a result? You would need like 10000 of people and 20 years of hard work to make something really great with goals like these. You may say "Hey, but there is another open world cyberpunk game with truly ideal production quality – Mirror Edge: Catalist!". But let's face it - even Mirror Edge: Catalist developers didn't dare to set their goals too high. ME:C is not open world in fact – your presence in the huge city is limited to the rooftops and simple building interriors. All car traffic is just a number of small low poly models far below, and you don't have AI-driven crowds out there. Finally, this game RPG elements are very limited and story is linear. ME:C developers set achievable goals and created a perfect cyberpunk game as a result. CDPR wanted to mix several games in one, and as a result it didn't become very good in each of its different aspects.

V's story is quite good, as well as the stories of other main characters, and these stories are not lenear. But how exactly crowds and cars on the streets, tons of similar and boring side quests help the main stories? Do they make the stories any better? No, on the contrary, after few attempts of exploring and making side activities I found myself rushing through the City and using fast trevel points just to push the story forward instead of looking around and explore. This open world simply isn't good enough to make exploration interesting because other game aspects required developers' working time to be taken from making the open world interesting. And as you can see other game aspects suffer as well, because making even such limited open cyberpunk world required huge amount of time. The story is not an exception unfortunately. It's good, like I said, but without all its flaws it could be perfect. What flaws am I talking about? Let's for example look at the ending where V takes Rogue's place. It's written poorly. V becomes the boss, and the boss's job is to plan and manage, not to take a solo mission job with almost no chances to survive. But somehow V takes this mission and says she/he have nothing to loose anymore, while she/he actually has plenty to loose at this point, especially with successfully completed Judy's and Panam's stories. This ending is not just flawed, but also too short and unclear – developers simply didn't have time to make something better. Let's also look at another flaw as well – it goes through the whole story like a fox through your apartment. In the very beginning of the game V already knows that she/he has few weeks to live, but somehow willing to take side jobs, take part in illegal fights, street races, and help police to fight criminal activity. But in fact V cannot afford to lose even one minute of her/his time in such condition – to oppose this is to oppose simple logic, and even saying that it's just a game's conventionality doesn't help. If developers would plan their goals more carefully, they could spend time to build more advanced story around V slowly realizing what's wrong with him/her, and gaining full understanding of situation close to the ending, not in it's very beginning. And it's not just about flaws. Existing story is not as cinematic as it could be would they spend enough time for this. What is more important – open world or story? You can't have both here, it's not a Witcher game where the most of the open world is just hills and forests generated by SpeedTree.

Well, maybe at least RPG part of Cyberpunk 2077 is brilliant? Nope. When your stealth skill tree doesn't give you much stealth advantage, or you have items and skills designed to help underwater while you have almost zero underwater encounters, or your sunglasses give you more armor than a metal helmet, or killing the final boss is as easy as kicking some asses in a random open world encounter – something is clearly wrong. And again – where would developers get time to make perfect RPG system when they decided to spend tons of time for open world and cinematic story?

Cyberpunk 2077 is a good game, but not as good as I was expecting. I was hoping to see the best cyberpunk game of all times. This franchise has great potential, but I'm afraid it requires full reboot without repeating past mistakes, not patches, DLCs or sequels.

95 hours on PC.

Became now buggy enough that it prevents me from doing side missions.

6.5/10

5 points for the story, side missions and the beatuiful city

1.5 for effort

To sum it up:

The game is a medicore looter shooter open world with simplyfied rpg elements and a good but linear story.

It should have come out 2022 like the developer, if rumors are true, wanted, then it would have been 9/10 or better. Instead the game is cut down, simplified, rushed and bugged.

I apologize for my English, if something is not understood.

I have been 100 hours, I have already made positive evaluations in the forum, but I wanted to leave another evaluation.

In the game there is evidence of what happened, as a dead man tells forensics, the clues to the murder.

I see more and more clearly that the beginning of the development was very powerful and the passage of the months and years was making the mechanics and deep development of the game that had been planned disappear.

Great job and great visual result of the city, also great mission design work and music.

But other than that, the city is dead. Everything feels empty.

Your decisions in the city do not influence anything. If you kill an entire gang in one area of the city, no one will look for you to kill you, no gang will recognize you for what you have done. None of that has been worked. A deep engine that adds complexity to night city life has not been developed.

They are enemies automatically put into zones for you to kill when you please. A copy and paste here and there to fill the night city with possible enemies.

Most of the gates are closed in the city. 4 years of development do not give for more. Much of the development that was going to be done has been sacrificed and that means abandoning the creation of interiors for buildings or making complex mechanics in the city, which feel absent against more games.

Your actions have no influence on the city.

You can kill and kill as you please, walk 500 meters away and your record will become clean. The game's reaction to your actions looks very basic in both physics and AI.

You can enter a disco or a market and you will no longer have an interest in going back in because what you will find will be exactly the same as last time, a dead environment of npcs doing exactly the same activity and the same conversations. Nothing in the city invites you to visit it again. It is the great disaster of this game: the life of the city that does not exist. That work takes years of development and the rush has not given any opportunity.

The cars go by rails !!! there is no intelligence worked on them. That's why you will never see them make a smart decision.

I hope the development team and modding can bring life to the city, make the npcs smarter, open all the doors that are closed, create real day and night life that doesn't exist now, change the way you interact. with the city.

NPCs appear and disappear like ghosts with nothing interesting to say, just to fill the streets and that turns out to be very sad. You just have to stare at city life to be impressed at first with the visual quality, but to be disappointed in the end when you see that everything is programmed in a very simple and shallow way.

It is a very good starting point for Cyberpunk 2077 but it takes at least another 2 years of development for the city to be alive and the game in that regard to be a 10/10.

When you start to play it it impresses you, but when you have been playing it for many hours, you feel more and more deeply that everything has simple, predictable and underdeveloped mechanisms.

It's a shame, the game needs a deep and complete revision to be what it asks to be and that has not been achieved.

I was driving past Judy's house after doing all her missions and I was very sad to see her looking out the window without any life like another npc from the city ...

No other game has made me feel as many beautiful emotions as this one, that's why I feel that the development time has not been up to what Night City needs, because its shortcomings hurt much more than in other games.

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

even with all the bugs and media corpo-wars going on in here and on other channels,

the game is a couple points above 10/10,

first of it's kind to be able to tie so much narrative and gameplay elements to depict such vivid and actually adult topics, most people who see what has been done in that work of art will probably try to make their own derivative art before thinking of writing reviews, and those brave enough to actually try to review what has been achieved will find it challenging.

almost gonna miss the bugs, but they served us well exposing the nature of contemporary discourse, once those are gone the professional haters are really gonna lose it :D who can blame them,
once CDPR leaves who ever is funding those troll farms in the dirt and holds the spotlight like they did with TW3 their income will dry out and they'll have to go back spreading hate in other industries.

one last thing about the suits who came out lately to own up for their mistakes and praise all the workers,
that's a very mature reaction, something incredibly rare specially in this industry,
as to those complaining they dared praise the work done and the workers who've accomplished, please seriously reconsider how you see your position in the world and how you interact with others :)

I agree. You are right. They talk about love, death, those who are not strong enough to stand up for themselves. It is a great work of art. I want more of the same though. More game for adults with adult topics to talk to adults about. Good post.

I wonder, what places are there I can vote? Are there some websites where I can write my review? Could anyone point me some directions?

Honestly, I get it has bugs and that upset some peeps, not me though. I can say, can't wait to get a ps5 for load times.

Anyways, I have been wanting to play an organic feeling RPG, and this game feels so good in that department. I jacked up the difficulty straight off the bat, treated V as I would treat myself (for the most part...I'm not going to put myself out there as a merc...yet) in that I wouldn't want to die, I don't want to have to constantly look over my shoulder, and not a merc out to just kill...to not play it just like an FPS. They put nods to this all over the game, Destiny does it too, and both can feel cinematic...but this game does it in spades, almost fluidly alongside characters as well. I don't really use the fast travel system, walk a lot, but I don't mind it cause the world around is pretty interesting...listened to a convo the other day that ended up in a shoot out between the two peeps...over a package...in an alley. I haven't completed the game yet, think I squeaked out level 30 yesterday, but for every job I'm looking at different ways to approach it, exits, and if it goes loud...am I going to be mainly close rng or will I have some distance.

I really do enjoy the hell out of this game, and the trip it is putting me through. The world gets more crazy with more technology to the point that defining being human becomes a struggle...I am so glad Im off the next two days, I am going to become a hermit (I was doing so good with game time, but the story has literally become what I have been waiting for, Destiny is approaching it as well...I think CDPR is telling it better, and more interactive with it).

I wish I could shake everyones hands that took part in this project, even the guy that got coffee for everyone.

5/10 or even 4/10. And including fake marketing, fraud and technical errors, it should be a round 0. In my opinion, this is just a very poor game. And a large number of players have been trickedly deceived.

The creators got lost, mixing styles and genres in some strange vision and great rush, and most importantly they f..d it up completely. Like children who draw in the mud with a stick.

The game is barely able to defend itself with a lame story with very mediocre dialogues. All choices are almost entirely illusory. Lack of AI and stupidity of opponents. No real RPG system, and that's what a massacre is. Open-world where you can do almost nothing. Mechanics castrated to the foundations. Tons of bugs and ubiquitous pop-ups of NPCs, cars and buildings ... Eh. I don't even want to continue.

You need a team lead with a clear vision for what the game is going to PLAY like.
That person needs to have controllers AND mice and keyboards in their hands (& the second is NOT AN AFTERTHOUGHT) continuously testing the game to direct the refinement of ongoing projects and to decide when to add new ones onto the existing foundation.
Without this you have a mess.
You have a mess.
Too many cooks in the kitchen will ruin the soup.
Get the marketing execs out of the kitchen.
Get the people only thinking in dollars out of the kitchen.
Let the artists and craftspeople do their work.
Empower and protect the visionary: the person sitting down, testing the game, directing refinement and holding point for the project. (In other words keep all the self important windbags with opinions out of that person's hair.)
And understand that the game is, ultimately, about the PLAYER'S experience.
If you want a great game, a game that sells well, a game that people are talking about and getting excited about AFTER its release... then you have to create a game that is enjoyable to ACTUALLY PLAY.
And... even with all it's issues... Cyberpunk 2077 has its moments.
Seriously: create a team of talented people with a competent visionary at the helm and then GET OUT OF THEIR WAY.

@team

Hello CD Project red
I just wanted to thank you guys once for developing Cyberpunk. Around 2015 I saw the first trailer and waited and hoped for the release. I was more than convinced. You did a great job with cyberpunk. Every game has bugs, none is perfect. I love the game and will continue to play it for many years to come. Thanks for developing Cyberpunk, Night city is Fire!

best regards
Niklas / xXl3lackskillzx3
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going wait until the first expansion or PS5 (whatever comes first) before I play Cyberpunk again.

I love the game. Would pay 60€ for the game again if it meant I get to play it without the knowledge of the story. Best game I ever played:)

Top Bottom