Cyberpunk 2077 User Reviews & Impressions

+
Playing this game i was wondering - why CDPR use the same mechanic for both Witcher and Cyberpunk? Its an old, classic approach what suits perfect for the games with swords and magic. Take a look - the damage you deal in fantasy RPG is fully determinated by your character stats. Weak character hits for a little damage even with the sharpest sword. But in game with guns and explosives it matters not how physically strong your character is, cause the gun shoots equally both in hands of bodybuilder and an average guy. Gunpowder works the same way all the time.
Enemy who survives after 5-6-7 point-blank headshots with a shotgun make you feel like the game is broken. It's looks just crazy.
5-6-7 headshots in cyberpunk is more realistic than 5 min hack and slash one enemy in fantasy setting.

Playing this game i was wondering - why CDPR use the same mechanic for both Witcher and Cyberpunk? Its an old, classic approach what suits perfect for the games with swords and magic. Take a look - the damage you deal in fantasy RPG is fully determinated by your character stats. Weak character hits for a little damage even with the sharpest sword. But in game with guns and explosives it matters not how physically strong your character is, cause the gun shoots equally both in hands of bodybuilder and an average guy. Gunpowder works the same way all the time.
Enemy who survives after 5-6-7 point-blank headshots with a shotgun make you feel like the game is broken. It's looks just crazy.
Normally I'd agree with you but people in this franchise put plates into their skull, so the idea of them shrugging off small caliber projectiles isn't that far-fetched. They also appear to be able to prevent concussions via cyberware, indicated by what Viktor tells us about modern boxing going on forever because the cyber-boxers can tank hits endlessly without going down.

Normally I'd agree with you but people in this franchise put plates into their skull, so the idea of them shrugging off small caliber projectiles isn't that far-fetched. They also appear to be able to prevent concussions via cyberware, indicated by what Viktor tells us about modern boxing going on forever because the cyber-boxers can tank hits endlessly without going down.
Yep. Cyberpunk includes Skinweave, Subdermal Plating, Body Plating and various varieties of each. The head tends to get armored first.

That said, armor-piercing rounds are also a thing.

The PnP didn't translate over to the 2077 DnD/Witcher-style Hitpoints/levels/levelled gear approach real well. Cyberpunk 2020, the PnP, is more like ARMA, only you can, with good money and contacts, get a LOT tougher than in ARMA or any mil-sim. Like, bounce 7.62 rounds off your head tough.

Last edited:
Yep, you right, titanium skull etc. But even so. Weapon looks absurdly ineffective, especially machine gun. It literally shoots with chewed paper and takes more than a full clip - 100!!! rounds to take down a solid enemy. Or 50-70 rounds for an average one. Thats absurd!
You know in WW2 bolt-action rifle was able to shoot down a plane, in hands of a skilled marksman. I dont think titanium skull is something more durable than a fighter plane. Especially from the point-blank distance.

So... finally, here it is! What do you think about Cyberpunk?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote of the day:
I still have faith in both the game and (more importantly) CDPR's commitment to complete the job. I really appreciated their revisions of all The Witcher editions and have no reason to doubt their intentions for CP77. That's not to understate my sense of disappointment, though. They knew full-well what was in store when they released this game in its current state and thoroughly deserve all the ensuing criticism. There are many who will take a cynical view but I honestly believe that the devs are cringing at their loss of kudos. Prior to this they had achieved a rare status but now they're exposed as all too human.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I have decided to let this game age in the cellar for 1-2 years to become a true masterpiece. If you played The Witcher Wild Hunt long enough, you know the difference between version 1.01 and 1.32. If you didn't, trust me - it was very noticeable. I enjoyed the game so much more when the bugs and rough edges were refined, so I am going to do this with Cyberpunk.
I really love this game, but I still have bug like I can't claim the rewards of Wakako in the charcudoc. Now I buy it but I already have this quest to do and it is really frustrant. But all the game is beatiful and I really like play Cyberpunk !!

I was put off the game by the incredible negativity in the steam forums and not being able to get a graphics card (mine was OLD and starting to cause crashes), so I decided to wait for the big patch and a new graphics card.

I got lucky and managed to bag a card, bought the game a few days after patch 1.2, and was immediately annoyed at the negative comments because, actually, it's just a really fun game that (now, presumably) runs absolutely fine. There's an incredible amount of detail, an incredible amount of work has clearly gone into the stories, and it's really, really beautiful.

The city is the star of the show and almost 200 hours later almost every time I play I discover a new place I'd never seen before. The other day I just wandered behind some perfectly innocuous-looking buildings out of curiosity and was met by a pileup of corpses in an alleyway, the result of some gangland massacre.

But it's not just exploring I'm enjoying. With a controller (keyboard was awful) I've come to love driving, even if cars stopping in front of you for no reason clearly needs fixing, and just the sheer freedom to mix up play styles. I started as a hacker, got bored and looked at the katana in my inventory and thought "nah, looks boring", gave it a try and suddenly had a new favourite toy. Then came sniper rifles. Then machine guns. Motorbikes became cars became offroaders became pootling around in stolen rubbish trucks. I'm really enjoying the ability to freewheel and play every gig a different way.

Not going to give a full review because haven't finished the main quest.

Last edited:
For me, I love this game. I totally agree that the city itself is the star of the show. I've been booting around different conceptions of Night City in tabletop RPG sessions for forever, and the version of NC in this game is way, way beyond my wildest dreams. The problems with the game have obviously been well documented, but the virtues...this game brings a vision of the dark future to life in screaming technicolor.

For me, I love this game. I totally agree that the city itself is the star of the show. I've been booting around different conceptions of Night City in tabletop RPG sessions for forever, and the version of NC in this game is way, way beyond my wildest dreams. The problems with the game have obviously been well documented, but the virtues...this game brings a vision of the dark future to life in screaming technicolor.

Totally agree with this. I'm an ambiance junky, so I really loved every single bit of the city itself. I've never played a game that felt so much like a real city. GTA comes close, but lots of the finer details disintegrate...or just don't exist in the game.

In CP2077, not only do I get the sweeping sense of scale of the city skyline...but I can also seamlessly walk into to a random diner, listen to the slight buzz of the neon sign next to the door, and virtually smell the stink of the dirty ashtray on the corner of the counter. It's awesome.

City isnt bad for sure. Not the best of course and not the worst. Here is a single trouble what ruins artists work - this city is empty and is good only as a background for the main story. But as a place to explore, to walk around it has nothing to offer.
On the other hand we have might-n-magic gameplay. As i already told - i doubt if this approach fits the world with guns and explosives. Some builds became useless in such circumstances. Witcher with the same gameplay was a masterpiece, but Cyberpunk... i think its a failure. Any common sense kisses goodbye when you have to land almost entire clip in the most accurate manner to kill an enemy and this enemy (who is never alone) can empty your hp with just 2-3 random hits. And the cyberware makes no difference cause Legendary(!) Subdermal Armor gives you only 200 (?!) armor points. So without deliberate grind you're doomed to play world of pain.

City isnt bad for sure. Not the best of course and not the worst. Here is a single trouble what ruins artists work - this city is empty and is good only as a background for the main story. But as a place to explore, to walk around it has nothing to offer.
On the other hand we have might-n-magic gameplay. As i already told - i doubt if this approach fits the world with guns and explosives. Some builds became useless in such circumstances. Witcher with the same gameplay was a masterpiece, but Cyberpunk... i think its a failure. Any common sense kisses goodbye when you have to land almost entire clip in the most accurate manner to kill an enemy and this enemy (who is never alone) can empty your hp with just 2-3 random hits. And the cyberware makes no difference cause Legendary(!) Subdermal Armor gives you only 200 (?!) armor points. So without deliberate grind you're doomed to play world of pain.

I think it depends on build. I played through using a stealth / non-lethal build. I used Yorinobu's pistol and a stun baton for most of the game. (And honestly, that stun baton was lethal (...in a non-lethal sort of way). I didn't "grind" ever. I did play through most of the cyberpsycho missions and many of the infiltration / theft gigs. I mostly ignored random things that would pop up.

Second-hardest difficulty. It didn't seem quite as well-balanced at TW3, but I felt mostly overpowered for the bulk of the game, if anything. If I did pull out that pistol or grab a shotgun off the ground because my cover was blown, I'd not have a lot of difficulty putting enemies down in 3-4 hits, tops. I tried the hardest difficulty but turned it down quickly because enemies were super-spongey.

I tried the hardest difficulty but turned it down quickly because enemies were super-spongey.
Oddly I don't feel it like that unlike other games.
I always play in very hard, and i kill them in 3-4 hits (one headshot in sneak). But I must have a weapon leveled to my level (level up > weapon upgrade). But even the best armor possible (armadillo craft every 5 lvl on legendary 3/4 mod slot), they kill me pretty quick (3-4 hits and i'm dead) :)
If i take Yorinobu's gun without upgrade it at max (as i got it), yes it take 2 or 3 magazines for kill on enemy. Uncommon Quazar fully upgrade does the work much better.

Last edited:
I've been away for a while, but I'd just like to add to my early review in this thread, that if a game dies (all interest in it stops) on me after around 3 months of rather inconsistent (due to time restraints) playing, there is something wrong with the game.

There are games that have 100-fold lesser productionvalues that have kept me interested for years.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an engaging experience that touches. Open world mechanics are at the top and there is almost always something to do on the map. Furthermore, we have a large number of different game modes to choose from, all of which give you your very own experience of the story. Combined with the hundreds of weapons, augmentations, upgrades and side missions, in other words, there is plenty of material that will last all winter. Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely be remembered as one of the most significant titles in the history of gaming media.

POSITIVELY​

• Really impressive interactions
  • Great freedom of choice in both story and battle
  • A living open world map…

NEGATIVE​

• ... except in the wilderness outside Night City
  • Lots of information at once
  • Buggy right now

For me it's the worst best game to ever exist. At current state id rate it a 4/10, if it reaches its full potential it's undoubtedly 10/10 hole in one.
Pro:
Impressive storytelling
Probably most interesting characters in a videogame ever
Graphics
Shooter execution
A believable city ready to be filled with life
Con:
Characters are interesting but kinda shallow, we need more background information, more personality
Given the city's potential, it's lackluster
Gang utilization near zero
The ever repeated police and traffic system
Lacking customization possibilities on all ends, especially in the city of customization..
Lack of fun activities
Mediocre utilization of the vertically biggest city in a video game ever. Parachutes, skydiving, aircrafts? Something to actually visit the heights is needed.
Hacking. Needs to be more about hacking.
Overall feel of being unable to perform any action that wasn't preprogrammed by the devs. Everything feels very static and stuck. Thinking outside of the box seems forbidden.

Overall a solid 4/10. What gives me anxiety is i rated it 4/10 at release too. seemingly 5 months of development weren't able to move it forwards. I expected it to be a 6/10 by the end of June. At least a 5/10 by the end of April. This could mean two things in my understanding: either the amount of behind the scenes work that needs to be done is highly underrated by me and the gaming community, or the goal for the game isn't to become what we wish for.
All in all I'm having high hopes but not time wise. I expect the game to be the masterpiece we were promised by the end of 2022. Should that not be the case, I'd say it would be fair to say the game wasn't worth it. Fingers crossed

CDPR's rendition of Night City is almost exactly how I envisioned it. Not quite as violent tho. The atmosphere and locations are very well done and detailed. When you're in a scummy area, you feel like you're in a scummy area. I'm only disappointed that CDPR didn't stick with the core features of the pen and paper game where it was style over everything else. I get it, they need to give players a carrot to chase outside of completing the main story but to do it in a gear drop fest, in my opinion, was the wrong approach. Giving a good rep grind in order to gain notoriety with factions(Police, corps, gangs, fixers) that give access to different types of gear, missions, contacts, would have been a better choice. Instead we get a leveling system that not only allows you to specialize in some builds, you also get turned into a godlike killing machine that can wipe out an entire building without stepping foot into it. Hacking is overpowered and mainly the most viable build in Cyberpunk 2077

I personally enjoyed the whole story and am in finally doing a second playthrough after shelving it for a few months since I first finished it.

If I was a new person to Cyberpunk and I didn't know anything about the pen and paper game(Cyberpunk 2020), Cyberpunk 2077 would be absolutely mind blowing I would say it would be one the best best games ever made. As a Cyberpunk 2020 player, Cyberpunk 2077 is a let down in gameplay design choice for me. I still thoroughly enjoyed the game as what it is. Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the best shooters I have played in a very long time.

Tried Cp after the latest patches and hotfixes again.

I had a great time in December playing it on my PC and a 3070. Ray tracing on and all. Smooth. There is now a clearly notable performance drop. It has become unplayable on my system without lowering my visual settings. Disappointing. I have no desire to play this game any longer. DLC or not.

Guest 4419821

Hello

Ok I purchased this on release for xbox series x, but not long after I got a refund, not so much because I had issues but more so that I expected to encounter them at some point the more i played, I did encounter a few minor bugs and graphical issues though. I think I must of played about 3hrs tops and only explored the opening region of the city. Overall I was enjoying it, but like I said just wanted to drop the game so it could have any major bugs ironed out.
So I'm eager to play it again, but should I wait for more patches?

My main annoyance from my short play was the graphical issues, (objects popping in) has this been fixed?

Hello

Ok I purchased this on release for xbox series x, but not long after I got a refund, not so much because I had issues but more so that I expected to encounter them at some point the more i played, I did encounter a few minor bugs and graphical issues though. I think I must of played about 3hrs tops and only explored the opening region of the city. Overall I was enjoying it, but like I said just wanted to drop the game so it could have any major bugs ironed out.
So I'm eager to play it again, but should I wait for more patches?

My main annoyance from my short play was the graphical issues, (objects popping in) has this been fixed?
Try to not forget, it's a XB1 version who run on XBSX ;)
(because of that, it's not up to the performance of it)
If you really want "good" graphics, wait a next-gen update (release date unknown for me)
(for me, it's run well on my XBSX no real bugs, graphics are not too bad (but XB1 version) and i enjoy it)

Guest 4419821

Try to not forget, it's a XB1 version who run on XBSX ;)
(because of that, it's not up to the performance of it)
If you really want "good" graphics, wait a next-gen update (release date unknown for me)
(for me, it's run well on my XBSX no real bugs, graphics are not too bad (but XB1 version) and i enjoy it)

Thanks, yes I realised that, I'm not bothered about next gen version to be honest, just more the bugs being fixed is good. As said the odd pop in graphic really screwed with immersion, does anyone know if that's been fixed?

Thanks, yes I realised that, I'm not bothered about next gen version to be honest, just more the bugs being fixed is good. As said the odd pop in graphic really screwed with immersion, does anyone know if that's been fixed?
Nope i don't think. Always cars/Civilians appears/disappears when you really look around (and pay attention of it). Certainly unavoidable at the moment so that on XB1 it doesn't crash/lag all the time.

Top Bottom