Cyberpunk 2077 vs. Witcher 3, Skyrim and Fallout4 (no Spoiler)

+
Hello guys,
im reading a lot of stuff about Cyberpunk at twitter or watching videos on youtube and a lot of people talking about last gen. I dont know about last gen because i played the game on PC and we had some troubles too. But in the end i was able to play the game and im happy with a lot of things in Cyberpunk. The story feels very real and i like the character and night city a lot. Guns, Swords, Tech, Cars and so on everything is very unique. But in the End the story takes you sth around 20 hours. The sidequest are taking much more time to complete and they are worth it but in the end you wont get more than 60 hours of game time even ive you play on hardest difficulty. Thats something very sad. I was ready to spend more time in cyberpunk then in other games but thats simply not possible. I cant understand why CD Projekt Red made this decission but I think it will damage theire reputation even like the PS 4 release. Fallout 4, Skyrim and Witcher 3 are the best RPGS for me and CD projekt Red had the chance to create a game which surpass these game but they failed. The basics are top the story is just to short. Its like you read a book and after the first two chapters you say nah fuck it i know the ending so lets skip all that s*** and continue at the end of the story. Not to mention the countless possibilties they could addet to the game. Sorry for my bad english but I want to hear your opinion.

Main story is really short and I agree with that. I remember they said the main story was short compared to The Witcher 3 and a lot of people raised questions about it. After a short period of time, I saw somewhere a statement "it was slight shorter than The Witcher 3". It's definately not the case, the main story is almost half of the length of The Witcher 3's main story.

If you play this game, you should invest your time on side quests a lot, they are nothing less compared to main quests in terms of quality. But the problem is, the main story of the game sometimes distracts you to focus on side quests, as you feel there is something more important happening in main story. It's like something threatens your life but you are dealing with rescuing some sort of stolen cars or having party on club.

But I must say this. I've enjoyed this game more than I enjoyed The Witcher 3. I felt like I was living in Night City. It was a great pleasure to me. It can be greater, if they didn't cut so many contents such as braindances, world interactions etc. But it was fun after all.

So in my opinion, Cyberpunk > The Witcher 3 > Skyrim > Fallout 4.

Let's hope they will improve the game with DLC's.

Definitely hoping for some quality DLC - I'm certain there will be.

Skyrim and Fallout are perfect examples of large world RPGs where things get a little janky in places. On PC I haven't come across anything I haven't seen before in Skyrim/Fallout4 - I've never played The Witcher 3 even though I have it and all DLC!

Ashii

Forum veteran
I never saw the appeal with Skyrim. That game in my opinion is a boring crap without mods. And I want to enjoy a game without implementing them. It has a nice open world, that I won't deny, but that's it. Nothing more. Characters are easily to forget, our protagonist is a boring mannequin without any personality whatsoever, not even a blank slate, since we never had ANY options to react how we want and shape the character. Changing the looks, gender and race it's all there is.

It's a nice open world, but truly a crap RPG. RPGs are something more than just equipment and skill trees. It's an ability to roleplay, roleplay a character in certain ways, something what Skyrim could not provide. It would be better to compare CP to Mass Effect trilogy or Dragon Age games, since they have more similar aspects.

As of now:
Witcher 3 > Cyberpunk > Skyrim > Fallout 4

After all the updates and expansion packs:

Witcher 3 = Cyberpunk > Skyrim> Fallout 4

Witcher 3 even at launch it was buggy, but it was still complete. Sure some features were patched in afterwards but the key features were there. Cyberpunk is not only buggy, but is missing a lot of core features. If they restore it all, I would definitely put it on par with Witcher 3. Because, as of now I would still put Cyberpunk above any Bethesda game. Bethesda will never have the caliber of writing CDPR has.

I liked the story but agree it felt shorter than the witcher 3 story and i have a feeling it was rewritten since 2018 i might be wrong, It also feels more like it was a DLC story similar to that of the blood and wine expansion.

Fallout 4? Freedom?

*insert Jackie laughter*

That game took a look at all the player agency of previous Fallouts and decided that player agency was something that players weren't even interested in.

I still have the CE sitting on my shelf and haven't played since the first week or so since launch.

As for the comment about no more than 60 hours of content - I've put in over 130 and still haven't done and see everything, you could probably rip through it in that 60 hours if you skip dialogue, lore, hacking, etc - and just blast your way through everything....but ...and this is a huge but....you'd be deliberately missing out on a wealth of what the game has to offer to hit an arbritrary play time number.

Story of CP was very enjoyable, but too short imho. Everything progressing way too fast in the story, there are few quest and you suddenly get no backing message. I wonder how devs gonna approach game after Christmas period

I have all 4 games but I never beat the Witcher 3, in fact I never really got into it at all. I think I have 5 hours on the game total and I've had it for about 4 years. I'm sure the story and the characters are great, but to me it just feels like an action adventure game and not really an RPG, and I just didn't really enjoy the gameplay.

With that being said my Ranking would have to be Cyberpunk> Skyrim> Witcher 3> Fallout 4. Even though I have over 30 hours on Fallout 4 I haven't played it since November 2015 because it's such a shallow game. Compared even to CP77 with all it's cut content, it just doesn't have the story, the characters or even the choices to match up and compare to this game. Kind of like Skyrim honestly, it's a good open world sandbox game. If you like exploring and finding cool new gear to shoot people with it will be fun, if not then it won't really be that fun.

To me, CP2077 excels in basically no category over other open world action adventures (let alone RPGs), except in world design/presentation and character writing...

So, in so many words:
In terms of mechanics and gameplay: Fallout 4 > Witcher 3 > Skyrim > > > Cyberpunk
As an actual RPG with more or less impactful choices: Skyrim > Fallout 4 > Witcher 3 > > > Cyberpunk
In terms of characters, writing and presentation: Witcher 3 > Cyberpunk > Skyrim > Fallout 4

To me, CP2077 excels in basically no category over other open world action adventures (let alone RPGs), except in world design/presentation and character writing...

So, in so many words:
In terms of mechanics and gameplay: Fallout 4 > Witcher 3 > Skyrim > > > Cyberpunk
As an actual RPG with more or less impactful choices: Skyrim > Fallout 4 > Witcher 3 > > > Cyberpunk
In terms of characters, writing and presentation: Witcher 3 > Cyberpunk > Skyrim > Fallout 4
Damn did you just give Skyrim first place for an RPG with impactful choices? And Fallout 4 second?

Damn did you just give Skyrim first place for an RPG with impactful choices? And Fallout 4 second?
Comparatively, yes... they might not be great or well done choices, but you can drop and or break whole story threads or kill story relevant NPCs in both Bethesda games and still finish them... you can't do any of that in either CDPR titles.

Inspite all of its Bethesdian jank, I found Skyrim more entertaining to play than Cyberpunk or Witcher 3. Maybe it’s because Skyrim is a sort of ”easy going” game that almost begs not to take it all that seriously; while CP and W3 are almost tryhards with their seriousness.

So, Skyrim > CP2077 > ... > Witcher 3 = Fallout 4. If wanted to put that way. Although, none of those games are particularly good RPGs, so the comparison is a bit moot.

Comparatively, yes... they might not be great or well done choices, but you can drop and or break whole story threads or kill story relevant NPCs in both Bethesda games and still finish them... you can't do any of that in either CDPR titles.
Who can you kill in Skyrim that is a major main story character? I'm pretty sure they are all essential, and the game only has 1 ending hahaha. Fallout 4 isn't so much different either, you can't really kill any of the main characters in the game until the final mission and it all depends on who you choose to side with. But not just that, in almost all the side quests, guild quests etc. in Skyrim and even in Fallout 4, there is only 1 outcome and 0 player choice of how it goes down. Hell, as shallow as it might be, you can even choose your life path and give your character a bit of backstory in CP77, whereas in F4 and Skyrim you can't do anything like that at all. Skyrim gives you a blank slate at least, but F4 makes you either a war vet or lawyer sole survivor of vault 111 who is either heterosexual or bi in their mid-early 30's with a child and a whole family. The only thing that is set in stone about V is that they are a merc who wants to make it big.

As far as dropping the whole story goes, I'm not 100% sure about the witcher, but in Cyberpunk you can drop the main story at any point and just do side jobs and gigs if you want too, just like with F4 and Skyrim.

TW3>CP/SR (tie so far)>New Vegas (F4 was "who cares" for me).

I'm about 55-60hrs in (CP) and I've barely started Act 2. I've been doing the tourist thing while farming gigs and SQs to rank up, and acquire better kit. I've abused, beaten up and terrorised so many bangers-----------I'm surprised they haven't put pest control on me!

Witcher 3 is loads better than all those games. Cyberpunk has an enjoyable story, but it's a watered down RPG. I also wish johnny silverhand had nothing to do with the story, and this game was a simple rags to riches merc story, focused more on V and less on johnny. By the end of it his character annoyed me. Great job to Keanu though.

I can "rush" skyrim and fallouts MQ in mere hours, no bugs or glitches used

Skyrims "choices" are worse with zero consequence

Cyberpunks story, characters, world, "factions" hands down beat anything skyrim and fallout offer.

3 titles they had to mature and grow the witcher with the end result obviously W3, if your compairing it on a case by case basis, bugs aside, i'd take CP over any of them, why?? Even though, so far, the characters in CP are underdeveloped i still prefer them over what Witcher offers, even though V can be all over the place in terms of dialogue i still prefer them over Geralt and this in the state the game currently is in, it will only get better for me

Who can you kill in Skyrim that is a major main story character? I'm pretty sure they are all essential, and the game only has 1 ending hahaha. Fallout 4 isn't so much different either, you can't really kill any of the main characters in the game until the final mission and it all depends on who you choose to side with. But not just that, in almost all the side quests, guild quests etc. in Skyrim and even in Fallout 4, there is only 1 outcome and 0 player choice of how it goes down. Hell, as shallow as it might be, you can even choose your life path and give your character a bit of backstory in CP77, whereas in F4 and Skyrim you can't do anything like that at all. Skyrim gives you a blank slate at least, but F4 makes you either a war vet or lawyer sole survivor of vault 111 who is either heterosexual or bi in their mid-early 30's with a child and a whole family. The only thing that is set in stone about V is that they are a merc who wants to make it big.

As far as dropping the whole story goes, I'm not 100% sure about the witcher, but in Cyberpunk you can drop the main story at any point and just do side jobs and gigs if you want too, just like with F4 and Skyrim.
Here a quick sampling of most choices you can make in Skyrim. Most of those either effect NPCs (life or death, ally or enemy), change the world in some way, give you items or companions, access to zones, trainers or shops, etc. you otherwise wouldn't get. Yes, none of those effect the outcome of the game one way or the other, but they shape the path you take to said outcome. 98% of the choices in CP2077, don't do any of that... they effect nothing in the game proper except some unique item/vehicle rewards and whether or not you get to boink somebody. 2% of coices effect the ending, directly, and that's it.
  • Main quest: side with the Blades (kill Paarthurnax), or the Greybeards (spare him).
  • Civil War: join the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.
  • Dawnguard: join the Dawnguard or the Volkihar Vampires.
  • Dark Brotherhood: join the Brotherhood or destroy it.
  • Daedric quests:
    • The Black Star (Azura): restore Azura's Star or defile it.
    • A Daedra's Best Friend (Clavicus Vile): kill Barbas or spare him.
    • Ill Met by Moonlight (Hircine): side with Sinding or with the hunters.
    • Pieces of the Past (Mehrunes Dagon): obey Mehrunes, or spare Silus Vesuius.
    • The Taste of Death (Namira): take part in Namira's feast, or kill Eola (and possibly the rest of the cult of Namira).
    • Waking Nightmare (Vaermina): obey Vaermina, or let Erandur destroy the Skull of Corruption.
    • Darkness Returns (Nocturnal): technically not a real choice, but you can chose to postpone returning the Skeleton Key indefinitely, and keep using it instead.
  • The Blessings of Nature: pray to Kynareth to obtain a sapling, or cut the Eldergleam to extract its sap.
  • No One Escapes Cidhna Mine: escape with Madanach, or kill him and escape alone.
  • In My Time of Need: kill Kematu, or deliver Saadia to him.
  • Blood on the Ice: turn Wuunferth in, or investigate further.
  • Delayed Burial: help Vantus Loreius or Cicero.

Top Bottom