Cyberpunk 2077 vs. Witcher 3, Skyrim and Fallout4 (no Spoiler)

+
Here a quick sampling of most choices you can make in Skyrim. Most of those either effect NPCs (life or death, ally or enemy), change the world in some way, give you items or companions, access to zones, trainers or shops, etc. you otherwise wouldn't get. Yes, none of those effect the outcome of the game one way or the other, but they shape the path you take to said outcome. 98% of the choices in CP2077, don't do any of that... they effect nothing in the game proper except some unique item/vehicle rewards and whether or not you get to boink somebody. 2% of coices effect the ending, directly, and that's it.
  • Main quest: side with the Blades (kill Paarthurnax), or the Greybeards (spare him).
  • Civil War: join the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.
  • Dawnguard: join the Dawnguard or the Volkihar Vampires.
  • Dark Brotherhood: join the Brotherhood or destroy it.
  • Daedric quests:
    • The Black Star (Azura): restore Azura's Star or defile it.
    • A Daedra's Best Friend (Clavicus Vile): kill Barbas or spare him.
    • Ill Met by Moonlight (Hircine): side with Sinding or with the hunters.
    • Pieces of the Past (Mehrunes Dagon): obey Mehrunes, or spare Silus Vesuius.
    • The Taste of Death (Namira): take part in Namira's feast, or kill Eola (and possibly the rest of the cult of Namira).
    • Waking Nightmare (Vaermina): obey Vaermina, or let Erandur destroy the Skull of Corruption.
    • Darkness Returns (Nocturnal): technically not a real choice, but you can chose to postpone returning the Skeleton Key indefinitely, and keep using it instead.
  • The Blessings of Nature: pray to Kynareth to obtain a sapling, or cut the Eldergleam to extract its sap.
  • No One Escapes Cidhna Mine: escape with Madanach, or kill him and escape alone.
  • In My Time of Need: kill Kematu, or deliver Saadia to him.
  • Blood on the Ice: turn Wuunferth in, or investigate further.
  • Delayed Burial: help Vantus Loreius or Cicero.
So you're saying that in Skyrim, most of the choices will only affect individual NPC's or give you access to new companions/items or shops. You say that they don't affect the end game at all though, only the path you take to get there. But then you go on to bash CP77 for giving you choices that only give you new items or vehicles, or giving you a chance to sleep with someone (romance options). That's literally the same as what you said Skyrim gives you with it's choices :LOL:

I think you're wrong about the choices and consequence in CP77 though. In all of those choices you gave examples for in Skyrim there were only 2 outcomes. In many CP77 Side Missions not even main story missions there are multiple choices that you can make throughout that will change the course of not only that mission but future missions as well.

SPOILERS*

I won't go to in depth because I know this is a no spoilers thread, but the mission with Royce at the beginning. You can side with Meredith, take her chip. If you kill Royce at the end she lives, if you go the peaceful route with him she gets replaced with that Anthony guy. You can also save the former Maelstrom leader and he shows up later in the game and helps you if you did. If you don't and you killed Royce someone else shows up. If you spared Royce he shows up. Not to mention there are 7 different endings in CP77.

I love Skyrim, but it's really not an open-ended RPG with tons of choice and options. Definitely less than CP77 and I'm guessing less than TW3 as well. Same goes for F4, although I don't love that game lol.

I won't go to in depth because I know this is a no spoilers thread, but the mission with Royce at the beginning. You can side with Meredith, take her chip. If you kill Royce at the end she lives, if you go the peaceful route with him she gets replaced with that Anthony guy. You can also save the former Maelstrom leader and he shows up later in the game and helps you if you did. If you don't and you killed Royce someone else shows up. If you spared Royce he shows up. Not to mention there are 7 different endings in CP77.

I love Skyrim, but it's really not an open-ended RPG with tons of choice and options. Definitely less than CP77 and I'm guessing less than TW3 as well. Same goes for F4, although I don't love that game lol.
Yea, that's one mission with actual variety and choice, ONE, and it was used for marketing since 2018...

Also: You misunderstood me there: The outcome of Skyrim's missions gives you stuff, true, just as CCP2077's, but they also impact "your" world, your path to the ending, Cyberpunk's quests do not. You can't join or harm any of the world's factions, you don't gain or loose access to parts of the world because of your actions, etc. Also, you are never forced to pick a path... you can do all main story quests in any order, without them impacting eachother or the overall narrative. Every quest is an isolated occurance.

There is really nothing you can do other than just enjoy the game. I know it's short, in fact you can even finish the main story in one day if you really want to. As i usually do in games like this i replay them a few times, taking different choices and actions. It is rather disappointing not having more than 50-60h of gameplay.

Yea, that's one mission with actual variety and choice, ONE, and it was used for marketing since 2018...

Also: You misunderstood me there: The outcome of Skyrim's missions gives you stuff, true, just as CCP2077's, but they also impact "your" world, your path to the ending, Cyberpunk's quests do not. You can't join or harm any of the world's factions, you don't gain or loose access to parts of the world because of your actions, etc. Also, you are never forced to pick a path... you can do all main story quests in any order, without them impacting eachother or the overall narrative. Every quest is an isolated occurance.
It's not the only quest which has a variety of choice it's just the only one I can give an example for in this thread because of spoilers. There are more than a few, and you can be locked out of future side missions if you say or do certain things in many cases.

I agree with you though, you can't join any of the factions in CP77 and you really can't affect them much in any way. You can spend the whole game killing Tiger Claws and still work with their fixers and have little to no reaction from them as a whole. Same can be said for Skyrim though, because although you can join factions, nothing is blocked for you if you join the DB or the Companions. You can even join the Stormcloaks, take over whiterun and actively be killing imperials on sight, and still walk straight into Solitude and talk to the High Queen. Skyrim doesn't have a faction reputation system like for instance Fallout New Vegas has and neither does CP77.

Well to name to more occasions, simply on par with what you percieve as big decisions in Skyrim - also not cool to add DLCs when comparing it to a game which currently has no DLCs.
Voodoo Boys - distinct difference by one choice.
Beast in me - also another choice which effects more than just the end of that quest, at least seemingly.
Then there's some quest (don't remember the name) whereas you're supposed to transport a car, only to be able to find out there's something in the trunk you might not want to transport.
Again how you handle Misty in Heroes is at least recognized during that quest and some minor dialogue later.

Cyberpunk isn't huge in putting up coloured flags and painting them differently because of your actions. And it's definately pretty much on rails with a clear main story - which Skyrim was also - but acting as if it offers no choices in quests at all, or that those choices are self contained in the quests, is patently false.

I never saw the appeal with Skyrim. That game in my opinion is a boring crap without mods. And I want to enjoy a game without implementing them. It has a nice open world, that I won't deny, but that's it. Nothing more. Characters are easily to forget, our protagonist is a boring mannequin without any personality whatsoever, not even a blank slate, since we never had ANY options to react how we want and shape the character. Changing the looks, gender and race it's all there is.

It's a nice open world, but truly a crap RPG. RPGs are something more than just equipment and skill trees. It's an ability to roleplay, roleplay a character in certain ways, something what Skyrim could not provide. It would be better to compare CP to Mass Effect trilogy or Dragon Age games, since they have more similar aspects.

For me the appeal of Skyrim/FO4 was modding. I don't think I played any further than the intro on either of those games before installing mods and after thousands upon thousands of hours on each I've ever completed they main quest lines (because they sucked).

There's no comparison... The other titles are superb!
And for one of the most anticipated games to ever come out... CB2077 has got to be one of the most disappointing releases to come out... Probably worse than finale of Game of Thrones. 🤦‍♂️

There's no comparison... The other titles are superb!
And for one of the most anticipated games to ever come out... CB2077 has got to be one of the most disappointing releases to come out... Probably worse than finale of Game of Thrones. 🤦‍♂️

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were also disappointments to many people.
Just look of the swathe of posts going Fallout 1+2 and NV are the only good Fallouts. Or how Morrorwind was the last good Elderscroll title. The thing is, people form false expectations, often because of idiots in Marketing who trade credibility for short term profitability - though honestly, as one who would buy CP2078, i saddly think they're right in treating people like me like fools.

What i can't stand personally, is taking Skyirm - a medicore RPG but good open world game, with not even more reactivity towards player actions (neither Dark Brotherhood nor Companions are at your side fighting the big bad of the game, nor is the whole Red/Blue faction building tied in anyway towards the main quest) than Cyberpunk as a shining example of a RPG reactive to player actions.
A game, that to this day has the worst Physics engine ever - hey just see how many physically simulated objects it takes on screen to crash it, my guess like 7. As it also takes like ~30 NPCs in one cell near each other to stop the AI to be simulated. A save file system which just as CP2077 ones produced corrupted saves en mass (though never fixed in Skyrim, which CDPR is now doing). Heavily scripted quests - which just like with Oblivion was marketed as "AI". A game whereas the biggest cities have like 61 whole NPCs and like 30 huts and needed to be completly disconnected from the rest of the game world through loading screen teleporting doors. Sure it all just works...
SO overall a very broken game. And yes a very fun one, if one isn't looking for a Baldurs Gate in an Open world. One of the games with the best integrated modding systems. Which is rightfully praised for this, and which likely leads to it falling short in so many other areas.
It's just not a beacon for how to do "deep decisive choices" or bug free experiences. So again, great game if you like that type of games, but not an example for an master class on how to do a modern city open world action adventure/RPG.

Skyrim was kinda boring after getting powerful enough. Witcher 3 was so much fun but I couldn't end DLC because I was fed up with this game.

You can save Goro or leave him to die, your choice

You can kill the vodoo boy leadership or walk away, your choice

Kill or let live Odo, your choice

Rogue lives or dies, your choice

To name a few

Skyrim SE > Fallout 4 >>> The Witcher 3 >>>>>>>> Cyberpunk 2077

Granted I can't play Skyrim and Fallout without at least 200 hardcore/survival/immersion mods. Without mods they'd probably be at The Witcher 3 level for me.

In Skyrim and Fallout 4 travelling is actually fun because you never know what will happen on the road. In Cyberpunk you're just going from A to B with no chance of surprise.

Cyberpunk is very average. Wish I had bought Hitman 3 instead of that mediocre game.

By the way: The way the trend goes currently, Skyrim will very likely have a higher player count on Steam than CP2077 in one month or less. Enough said...

Top Bottom