Cyberpunk 2077 with Ray Tracing Powered By NVIDIA GeForce RTX

+
We are partnering with NVIDIA GeForce RTX to bring real-time ray tracing to Cyberpunk 2077!
Thanks to GeForce RTX GPUs, containing specialized processor cores designed to accelerate ray tracing, these visual effects in games can be rendered in real time.
This is awesome news guys and thanks for the info! But Alicja, is this effect, feature or system if you will, will be implemented in the game for consoles like PS4 and Xbone too or will those consoles be left out from that effect? I don't have a high-end PC.

This is awesome news guys and thanks for the info! But Alicja, is this effect, feature or system if you will, will be implemented in the game for consoles like PS4 and Xbone too or will those consoles be left out from that effect? I don't have a high-end PC.
I'm certainly not Alicja, nor a spokesperson for CDPR/NVIDIA ... but ...

Ray tracing is a graphics rendering process, and only top end graphic cards have the processing power and software to handle this sort of thing (well). So don't expect to see much of an improvement on consoles due to this technology.

Like it or not, you get what you pay for, and the graphic cards (alone, ignoring the rest of the hardware) designed with ray tracing technology cost more then most consoles.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not Alicja, nor a spokesperson for CDPR/NVIDIA ... but ...

Ray tracing is a graphics rendering process, and only top end graphic cards have the processing power and software to handle this sort of thing (well). So don't expect to see much of an improvement on consoles due to this technology.

Like it or not, you get what you pay for, and the graphic cards (alone, ignoring the rest of the hardware) designed with ray tracing technology cost more then most consoles.

The next gen Xbox and PS5 supposedly have hardware support for raytracing though. If they can deliver while keeping frame-rate up remains to be seen, but maybe the technology has been refined enough that it is less computationally intense. It seems odd that consoles would be able to deliver what the biggest graphics cards on the market can barely manage, but we shall see. It used to be that consoles lead the way on graphics tech, so it is not completely unheard of.

Well, as AMD is providing the hardware for both the new Xbox and the PS5, and those are supposed to have hardware raytracing support, it follows that AMD has some sort of raytracing solution.

It is not in any of their current graphics cards though, so you will have to buy a new one to enable the technology. This is almost the same for a lot of nVidia users though, since only their newest cards have hardware support for the technology.

But it makes sense for CDPR to partner with the makers of the tech and the only company to have actual cards out that support it.

It used to be that consoles lead the way on graphics tech, so it is not completely unheard of.
That's mostly because "back in the old days" (when consoles first came out) PCs didn't have dedicated graphic cards and consoles did. A lot has changed since then.

True. And consoles could pioneer dedicated graphics cards because they provided hardware manufacturers a large, homogeneous base of customers to develop for.

Raytracing is still in its infancy and consoles pushing the tech is going to mean that game developers will be able to count on a large number of end users having the hardware to actually utilize it. That should mean that we will see the technology get much wider (and more gameplay relevant) use than it would have as a "PC-exclusive". It could just as well go the way of PhysX dedicated physics cards, which never caught on enough that anyone made any significant use of the tech.

True. And consoles could pioneer dedicated graphics cards because they provided hardware manufacturers a large, homogeneous base of customers to develop for.

Raytracing is still in its infancy and consoles pushing the tech is going to mean that game developers will be able to count on a large number of end users having the hardware to actually utilize it. That should mean that we will see the technology get much wider (and more gameplay relevant) use than it would have as a "PC-exclusive". It could just as well go the way of PhysX dedicated physics cards, which never caught on enough that anyone made any significant use of the tech.
As easy as it is to dog on consoles for hardware shortcomings, you're right in thinking that they push the industry forward. I'm of the opinion that we'd never be where we are today with gaming if it weren't for consoles. They've brought gaming into the mainstream and propelled competition that would never have had the money behind it without consoles. It's double edged because now we're at a time that money seems to be driving the industry much more than passion for the art.

Having said that, I'm excited to see where the consoles take ray tracing and their implementation of it. Obviously AMD has something up their sleeve

As easy as it is to dog on consoles for hardware shortcomings, you're right in thinking that they push the industry forward. I'm of the opinion that we'd never be where we are today with gaming if it weren't for consoles. They've brought gaming into the mainstream and propelled competition that would never have had the money behind it without consoles. It's double edged because now we're at a time that money seems to be driving the industry much more than passion for the art.

Having said that, I'm excited to see where the consoles take ray tracing and their implementation of it. Obviously AMD has something up their sleeve
I wouldn't say that consoles propelled the gaming industry forward. They were more of an inevitable outcome of the industry. The first Atari console came out only 2 years after the first arcade machines were made. So really there wasn't much of a gaming industry before consoles anyways.

Well I hope Nvidia comes out with a 3080 ti next year before Cyberpunk.

For now, I have no money to burn on an upgrade, and I'm really not concerned at all. The 1080 would be a meh upgrade from the 980, and I wouldn't buy a 2080 regardless. I'll probably wait until the first, truly 4K-focused card comes out, then grab that (...making sure I have the 980 ti available for backwards compatibility, at least at first.)

Ray-tracing is a hardware-specific process. The XB1 and PS4 do not have video cards that can do it. I do suppose it may be included in at least some versions of the next-gen consoles, though.

Use VULKAN for raytracing for throwback cards I mean I can get Tomb Raider Raytraced shadows at 1440p on my GTX 1080ti

Not my video but proves it's doable!
I'm guessing you play on a 60hz monitor? The performance hit that the 1080 ti takes when ray tracing is huge. I am not willing to sacrifice 60 fps to ray trace a game and instead would buy a 2080 ti to have the best of both worlds.

I am not willing to sacrifice 60 fps to ray trace a game <clip>
Nor are most people.

But much like VR it's a new tech that's still in it's initial stages, over time it'll become more and more efficient/inexpensive/common. But just like VR it's currently a novelty a handful of people LOUDLY claim is the next best thing to sliced bread.

Nor are most people.

But much like VR it's a new tech that's still in it's initial stages, over time it'll become more and more efficient/inexpensive/common. But just like VR it's currently a novelty a handful of people LOUDLY claim is the next best thing to sliced bread.
Eh, I'm willing to drop a months worth of income if i can play cyberpunk on ultra with at least 100fps with ultra ray tracing. The benefits of being a student and living at home haha.

I'm actually playing on a 50" 4k HDR Television set and it's HUGE! I can set what ever hz I want given reason.
Dam that must have been expensive. Then you know there's a massive difference between 80 fps and 120 fps. Ray tracing on 1080 ti, while possible, is not worth the performance hit.

Really doubt it. I don't think we will have anything solid before Q4 2020.

There might be new Navi cards from AMD though, which are higher end than RX 5700 XT. After all, they didn't yet match Nvidia's extreme high end with Navi. That will likely also affect prices in a good way. And don't forget Intel releasing their high end cards around that time as well. Though so far there is no info about their performance levels.

There might be new Navi cards from AMD though, which are higher end than RX 5700 XT. After all, they didn't yet match Nvidia's extreme high end with Navi. That will likely also affect prices in a good way. And don't forget Intel releasing their high end cards around that time as well. Though so far there is no info about their performance levels.

Fingers crossed for that. We could use a competition for high-end GPUs.

Top Bottom