Cyberpunk 2077 won't shy away from sexuality. There's options to have female voice with male body, vice-versa, different body types, romances, nudity.

+
Interviewer: How much do you deal with sexuality in 2077? As a European developer you’re likely to be a lot less puritanical about such things than an American company. They were implying last year that there is a lot of nudity in the game…

Lead Quest Designer: [laughs] Yes, a lot. But this is a game for mature players and the maturity is there in all kinds of ways, from the philosophical background of the game to the topics of the game, and also the sexuality is there as well. As a player you can pick the different body types for yourself, you can pick the different voice that you have. So you can… say you have a female voice but match it with a male body. And then you define how other characters perceive you. So basically, how they address you.

Interviewer: Do you mean pronouns?

Lead Quest Designer: It’s not exactly that but it gives you that effect. So you’re basically deciding how you define yourself. And in the game the romance and sexuality, it’s really present. Because we are sexual beings, that’s obvious.

Interviewer: It’s not obvious in games. There’s almost no sexuality in games.

Lead Quest Designer: We are CD Projekt, so it’s obvious to us. [laughs] Sexuality was very present in The Witcher games and I think here it’s even more present, but I think here we are a bit more mature because we are allowing the player to craft their own character a bit more. And also, in the customisation screen, if you want to have stronger female features on your male character you can do it. If you want to have male features on a female character you can do it. If you want to be a character that is less easy to define you can also do it. So it’s really up to the player as to what they want to do.

Interview with Paweł Sasko (Lead Quest Designer at CD Projekt Red): https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-preview-and-interview-i-just-love-my-work-9973737/

The defining point of RPG though is playing the role, so devs should give the player an ability to play as many roles as possible. If you can play as a male with female body parts, you should as well be given an option to play a bigot and an asshole who flat out refuses to deal with that type of characters. If there's sexuality, you should not only be able to sleep with everyone, but also be a screaming techno-religious sex-hater, who thinks of sex as of a rudiment and ready to kill to prove a point that artificial insemination is so much better. I trust CDPR will do it right though - who if not them?

Heck, the game is in-dev for years already, and out of sudden so many people are concerned with sexuality of it. Anybody gonna ask real questions? Like, will there be children? Will we be able to grind them into a fine red paste if we would like to? Would we be able, like, carry out a mass genocide of the city? Thanks God somebody managed to ask a question about completeing a game without a single kill. Becuase, you know, that's the point of top-of-the-line RPG: being able to play a role of anyone, from cyber-hippie to cyber-Hitler.

Even though V is still a character and not an avatar (and it's understandable in a story-driven RPG), I'm very happy that they give us as much liberty as they can in how we can build and create our version of V.

I wonder if they really mean "female" voice and not feminine? if there aren't intermediate options of feminine male and masculine female I think the character creator would be jarring. Mike Tyson has a more feminine voice but he most definitely does not have a female voice.

So I guess I feel that there should be 5 tones of voice on a continuum Female-Feminine Female-Masculine Androgynous Male-Feminine Male-Masculine. Because I'd want my mantis blade wielding roided out Cyberninja Solo character to have a Female-Masculine voice. But I'd want my gender ambiguous introvert Mechromancer build that relates more to their Flathead than people, to have a more androgynous or male-feminine voice.

I wonder if they really mean "female" voice and not feminine? if there aren't intermediate options of feminine male and masculine female I think the character creator would be jarring. Mike Tyson has a more feminine voice but he most definitely does not have a female voice.

So I guess I feel that there should be 5 tones of voice on a continuum Female-Feminine Female-Masculine Androgynous Male-Feminine Male-Masculine. Because I'd want my mantis blade wielding roided out Cyberninja Solo character to have a Female-Masculine voice. But I'd want my gender ambiguous introvert Mechromancer build that relates more to their Flathead than people, to have a more androgynous or male-feminine voice.
That would mean five times the voicerecording. Don't see that happening tbh.

Seems like the post on reddit went viral and it already is first on Hot Page and has 1.2k upvotes within 3 hours (96% ratio).
People are pretty excited about this news if you ask me lol

Ah man... I love customization a lot: I get some games solely to see how is character creator and what I can do.
With those answers, I'm almost pre-ordering, but I have to know the minimum requirements first.

That would mean five times the voicerecording. Don't see that happening tbh.
I feel ya, but to do it right I think they would need to because the default femV's voice on default ManV's face/body I think would be too jarring (personally, someone's build could probably pull it off).

On a related note, I just had the idea of someone replacing their voicebox with cyberware. anyone have thoughts?

Yes, but in the last days we saw a small number of very loud people and so called "games journalists" with an agenda towards CDPR solely to be outraged and I hope CDPR ignores them as everyone else should.

While I understand your sentiment, your wording and insistence sounds like it might come from a place that if voiced would get Snipped by a moderator for being political, ya feel?

While a large part of the headlines recently in regards to sexuality and gender expression in CP2077 are mostly hit pieces and outrage culture, I very much appreciate the attempts at a better and more in-depth character creator. As a 6 foot 2 heavy set bearded bear of a man, I can pick up your fridge with ease but I would like the ability to play as a more agile twink and if this new voice system lets me play like that, hell yeah!

While I understand your sentiment, your wording and insistence sounds like it might come from a place that if voiced would get Snipped by a moderator for being political, ya feel?

While a large part of the headlines recently in regards to sexuality and gender expression in CP2077 are mostly hit pieces and outrage culture, I very much appreciate the attempts at a better and more in-depth character creator. As a 6 foot 2 heavy set bearded bear of a man, I can pick up your fridge with ease but I would like the ability to play as a more agile twink and if this new voice system lets me play like that, hell yeah!
It certainly wasn't my intention to suggest that I'm against such choices in the character creator. Quite the opposite.
It's just a fear that the game's vision is getting changed by outside forces.

It certainly wasn't my intention to suggest that I'm against such choices in the character creator. Quite the opposite.
It's just a fear that the game's vision is getting changed by outside forces.
I had a feeling, you probably should have said it in your first comment though. Conveying opinions through text is hard and nuance is hard to interpret.

i - to no ones surprise - love this very very much.

the amount of people that will have the option to represent themselfes with that, that do most times not get to do that is staggering - that makes me happy.

Top Bottom