Cyberpunk 2078 or Cyberpunk 2077 new story?

+
I was thinking about this when I wrote other topic.

I was very curious if rather having "Cyberpunk 2078" we would get alternative life path entirely as their next big title. You could start out as Nomad/Street Kid/Corpo, but instead of meeting Jackie, you meet "Henry" who introduces you to drug smuggling operation, you get thrown in jail, waiting death sentence and have to plot your way out, on the way you meet more members of the criminal world and become invested in running tasks for secret entities who you sometimes hear talking in strange language (referring to the Garry conspiracy guy side quest), there you would end discovering entirely new lore and the world revolves in completely different motives than original story. Maybe in this lifepath rather than having an imaginary friend as your companion, you'd actually have a friend like Jackie by your side.

Or another person you could meet like Rachel (the crucifixion story woman) who introduces you to making all sorts of weird BD clips, where you're entrusted of making a lot of scenery, bribing people to commit murders etc, you gain access to TV stations like "channel 54 news" where you get to talk about how the business is running, you're being shown clips of people watching you in interviews and your main goal is to build up huge reputation in the industry of video making, which involves a lot of shady business deals and things going wrong. Eventually after calm open intro you're running the police when someone leaked your most recent BD raw clip and you're now classified as Class A scammer. However you build up quite a reputation with the police so they made you a deal to help them to investigate all sorts of murder mysteries they cannot solve, V becoming basically mercenary for the police to hunt down big targets and solving criminal conspiracies.

Perhaps being a war veteran in some futuristic war, where you're left half impaired and are forced to take artificial hands?

Perhaps you could witness Jackie living his life as he didn't go do the heist mission that (spoiler alert) went terribly wrong. Maybe you could have Jackie as a fixer in this life path where he has climbed up the ladder, there would be another heist and other opportunity to get to "the major leagues", perhaps Jackie and Dexter will have a conflict eventually. Perhaps there could be a news reports about what was supposed to happen in original game and there was actually a heist of the relic, but it completely failed.

I think separate lifepaths (not origins) is something I'd totally pay money to get added in future. I think this game and it's world is a great vessel for future content for even tens of years to come.

1620826253996.png

Just an idea what they originally drew as a concept for character creation and my twist on it. Of course these Key Life Events could be put inside the game itself, where an early intro you get to choose who you side with. If you go to first location you'll just meet up with Jackie, but if you pick up phone and call some number you find in note you could meet up with Netwatch agent. If you pick up news magazine, you could find advertisement for "creative personels" seeking a job in BD industry, and you get to meet up with Rachel. Perhaps you see an advertisement in TV and it's about joining the police squad. You get to call Barry who'll ask to join up in the NCPD station, where you're given first task to solve a mystery death. Netwatch would be a tricky one to implement because they'd be looking sophisticated hackers to join them, so you'd have to have intelligence of at least 10 and have to follow the other original life paths until a point you get offered a position in Netwatch. If you choose to go for it, you're given a new mission etc.

Kinda similar way how the Dark Souls DLC's were added into original games and were just some locations where a new NPC would spawn and a portal into a different dimention. In CP2077 case you could have these other NPC's contact you and offer to hire you to do mission for them. You could even go as far to have all the missions like Heist ready to be participated, similar how to Meet Hanako at Embers, where you're told "if you go further than this, there's no going back".

It'd be a shame if all we get is just couple of tweaks and few extra expansions and that's it, I'd rather see this game morph into what they originally drafted and allow gazillion of events that influence your future in a branching story. You could have same gangs original quests edited and select to do different tasks for them instead, since for example the first task with Voodoo boys where you go into the mall, you could totally do that with different motives entirely, but also you could get offered something else entirely as a task they also need to get done with.

What kind of new game/story would you like to explore if they were to announce one in 2 years to come?

Last edited:
Interesting, might have to read this a bit more before giving any really cogent reply, but a good example of how 'fan fiction' is often as good as, or even better, than the game company's own material.....

This is a really cool concept, so essentially you're advocating separate campaigns with alternative timelines? Would I need a fresh character each part or can I keep my v?

Wouldnt make it more sense if the sequel bases on the prequel? Everything about the story of Cyberpunk 2077 could be potential lore and background, history of any sequel. What ever the story in the sequel is all about, there could be rumors and fakts be spreaded around V the legend of night city.

And i dont like the idea of changing the game title like this for the sequel. As far as i understand the 2077 is more than only a the present date in the game but also the title of a ruleset, a campaign for a pen & paper game. I would favor it to name sequels like "Cyberpunk 2077 : (title of next game)"
Even if the number will no longer be correct in the in game time it will still be the date of the first release of this computergame franchise.

This is a really cool concept, so essentially you're advocating separate campaigns with alternative timelines? Would I need a fresh character each part or can I keep my v?
Yeah, so like I said, essentially you'd start a new character and in very early in the game you get to introduce yourself to Jackie, or Netwatch Agent, or NCPD, or Rachel, or whoever they decide to be their key event in V's life.

After meeting these characters you're basically locked into the path with mission like Heist which basically puts new motivations for the character, whether to survive, strive for career, maybe some vengeance story etc.

The key life event basically is the most impactful event in V's story and it'll put the wheels in motion.

You would still have similar opening like Nomad where you drive to city, or that you're given first mission to steal a car with Street Kid, and then just something else goes wrong, or perhaps you attempt to seek help and want to escape the life of crime so you report the entire activity to NCPD, who gets impressed by your loyalty and they want to recruit you.

I don't think there is much hope for a sequel really, maybe a prequel, but still. In CP2077 you're not there to save the world, you're there to save yourself. So what you accomplish in Night City doesn't really change trajectory of anything. The corporations will still rule the world and gangs will roam the city, so I don't think there's much material for sequel.

But if this was entirely separate story, where you split from very early into completely separate paths, perhaps this would be more in line with the early drafts about this game having impactful and meaningful choices that would impact the rest of your life, and what better way to make this than separate key characters being changed? Of course they could still work on some quests to allow have more impact to the rest of the game, having options to save Evelynn etc, but to make this game truly a project that people will reference for hundreds of years later I think it'd need these separate key characters being swapped and stories altered big time.

Sure it wouldn't sell the same as having Cyberpunk 2078 I guess, you could charge maybe 30€ from these story DLC's, but maybe this would be faster to manufacture and thus they could be pumping out these in great numbers. Perhaps 6-8 separate key characters in total, which would mean 180€ - 240€ + original game 60€, so 300€ game basically being sold over the lifespan of 6-10 years if they choose to commit into improving individual game.

And with Online play you could always use these paid DLC's add extra value for online gameplay, maybe having access to greater variety of weapons and looks.

I only see potential for the future of the game and I certainly hope this isn't just some project they're going to push aside after 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom