Cyberpunk crashes with Nvidia Driver 531.61

+
Hello,

Cyberpunk is crashing whenever I try to run the benchmark or continue my game.

Specs:
ROG z790 Maximus Hero
Strix RTX 4090 OC
i9 13900k
ROG 1200w PSU
64gb DDR5 6000mhz
Windows 11 Pro

Troubleshooting and steps done:

• Latest updates
  • DirectX12 installed
  • Clean OS install
  • Wipe out SSDs completely
  • Buy new SSD
  • Replaced motherboard
  • Replaced GPU
  • DDU to older drivers, all the way back to DEcember 2022 drivers and currently running the latest
  • Clean OS install
  • Disabled frame generation and enabled, crashes happen
  • Stress tested GPU, CPU, RAM. No issues or crashes.
  • Verified local files
  • Disabled Discord, Steam overlay
  • Submitted crash reports

I am not sure if this is an issue with Nvidia's driver or the game must be optimized for the latest drivers.

But the game is simply unplayable.

Hi. Are there some logs by the game or in the system events?
Also, you might like to check if any power cable connectors got loose.
If the 4090 is newly slotted in, maybe the driver needs to be removed with DDU and reinstalled. Check this post.

P.S.
The 1200 W PSU might seem solid, but I wouldn't bet on it with a 4090 and 13900K, depending on what brand it is and whether the card and the PSU are talking on what PSU can deliver.

Last edited:
I do have the game crash log.
No logs in Windows Event Viewer.

My PSU is a ROG Thor 1200w - should be more than enough. The GPU is properly installed, with the power cable properly connected.

At least for me, it's hard to tell without having physical access to examine/troubleshoot.

Unless you are getting a BSOD, you can run GPU-Z in the background and look out for anything that stands out in the graphs around the crash time. That is how I identified an ill-connected/faulty cable to my graphics card.

Is that PSU ATX 3.0? If not, 4090 could be exposing it to power draw spikes that don't work out well for both. Ah, yes, you can also try a different set of cables with the 4090. There, the advice I see a lot on the web is to spare the connection to the card as much as possible as that connector is quite valuable and no one wants it wearing out.

If nothing works, maybe the game is doing it wrong.

In my case, I went with Corsair AX1600i back in 2020, it purrs with my 3090 (Asus Strix OC, 2021). That way I was sure that any power draw spikes won't take my rig down. ATX 3.0 is cool, but with a 5090 (which is probably what I am going for), I will aim again to have ample power draw headroom.

Last edited:
No it is no ATX 3.0, in addition, I am using CableMod cables instead of the included adapter.

I still suspect a PSU (or cables) issue. I think I need to try using the included adapter with 4 PCI-E cables.
Or an ATX 3.0 PSU.

Oh wait, does your 4090 expect four PCIe power cables? Then it needs that.
See, one PCIe power cable is commonly rated for 150 watts. The stock power draw for a 4090 is 450 watts, which leaves zero headroom for going over it with three power cables. And those cards do go over the stock in so-called transients, if not during boosts. It's quite graceful outcome if only the game crashes instead of the PC shutting down when that happens. There goes a proper suspect, it's neither ATX 3.0 (as to be able to tell the 4090 how much it has), nor it gives 4090 the headroom it needs.

Last edited:
in your Asus Bios please check the setting in the screenshot below. If it is enabled, disable it and see if the problem is resolved. Can be accessed from the Advanced tab -> Platform Misc Configuration

230426152136.jpg

Oh wait, does your 4090 expect four PCIe power cables? Then it needs that.
See, one PCIe power cable is commonly rated for 150 watts. The stock power draw for a 4090 is 450 watts, which leaves zero headroom for going over it with three power cables. And those cards do go over the stock in so-called transients, if not during boosts. It's quite graceful outcome if only the game crashes instead of the PC shutting down when that happens. There goes a proper suspect, it's neither ATX 3.0 (as to be able to tell the 4090 how much it has), nor it gives 4090 the headroom it needs.
Yea but all gfx cards go way over in transients, i have a 4090 tuf that hade 4 cables on the adapter since it has a 600w max cap. Also my 1600w psu isent sufficient for my 4090 since its not atx 3.0 and in the fineprint it says max 450w gpu transients seem to double it pretty much. 1200w is probably not enoug with it trying too draw 600w and a transient happends add in a 13900k and your surely abovw 1200w. Pci-e can draw more then 150 too btw, you need too use a cable that supports it and its probably only for 12whp cables. My seasonic 12whp has only 2 connectors and can draw 450w no problem.

Yeah, when I get 60/5090 or such, I will, of course, go for the best PSU money can buy. I thought my AX1600i was appropriate for the 30-series when I got it in 2020. Surely it's not what would make me feel comfortable with the future 15th gen Intel and Nvidia's 60/5090. My budget for a PSU that will suffice is practically limitless.
My seasonic 12whp has only 2 connectors and can draw 450w no problem.
Is that what the spec says, or it just holds as you run it? If not promised by the spec, as components age, it could result in intermittent failures, end of component life, and fire.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I get 60/5090 or such, I will, of course, go for the best PSU money can buy. I thought my AX1600i was appropriate for the 30-series when I got it in 2020. Surely it's not what would make me feel comfortable with the future 15th gen Intel and Nvidia's 60/5090. My budget for a PSU that will suffice is practically limitless.

Is that what the spec says, or it just holds as you run it? If not promised by the spec, as components age, it could result in intermittent failures, end of component life, and fire.
Yea it can hold it in game and on paper. Cant handle 600w with just 2 tho so i bought a 4 to 12whp and a 180 degree adapter but my motherboard is broken so cant test atm anyways...

The June update for the nvidia drivers for some reason hate cyberpunk, and a few other games. I rolled back to the May update and it works like it used to, at least for now.

The June update for the nvidia drivers for some reason hate cyberpunk, and a few other games. I rolled back to the May update and it works like it used to, at least for now.

Well, this thread is from April, so it's not exactly about the same thing.

In general, yes, it's often better to be careful with new gpu driver updates and wait a bit before installing.
For some issues, rolling back to the previous driver version can indeed be a solution.

But again, this thread has nothing to do with the June update, as you can see.

Top Bottom